TSX leg space... crampin' your style?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003 | 11:45 PM
Instructor

TSX leg space... crampin' your style?

I spent about a half hour in a showroom today, really trying to evaluate comfort, head room, etc.

Something I hadn't noticed before.. the tight lateral leg space. I found my right leg constantly resting against the side of the dash because there is no other place for it to go, it's so close, with the side of the dash sticking out to the left so far.

I'm looking for feedback from TSX owners, ESPECIALLY those who were concerned about the same thing. Is it something that still annoys or makes you uncomfortable? Or was it much adieu about nothing, where you ended up getting used to it pretty quickly?

your feedback is much appreciated.
and for those who don't provide it. well. You are DEAD to me, I tell ya! :P
Old 07-31-2003 | 12:09 AM
Drifting

Hey man, another Chicagoland member. Welcome. For what it's worth, I have not noticed the problem but I'm a little guy. Are you coming to the TSX meet?
Old 07-31-2003 | 12:24 AM
More On

Feels fine to me -- "snug" but not tight. I'm like medium -- 5'10.

It's all part of the car being NARROWER than it would otherwise be -- which to me is a huge plus. Sportier, nimbler, can out-slither them all.

(I guess I don't want a car, I want a snake.)
Old 07-31-2003 | 12:52 AM
Advanced

...this is something that really annoys me in some cars, the 3.2TL comes to mind, the center console side is always digging into my leg on that car. On my EL it isn't a problem at all, the reason I mention this to you is that is one of the first things I looked at and checked out when I got into the TSX, and I didn't find it to be a problem at all for me, which was quite a relief. I stand 5'9", but I'm long in the torso, so I sit high in the seat, I didn't find getting a perfectly comfortable driving position hard to do at all.

Lorne Miller
Old 07-31-2003 | 01:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Lorne Miller
[B....I didn't find it to be a problem at all for me, which was quite a relief. I stand 5'9", but I'm long in the torso, so I sit high in the seat, I didn't find getting a perfectly comfortable driving position hard to do at all.

Lorne Miller [/B]
I'm about the same height, but I have slightly longer legs than torso, and I have big feet. I found the back seat very awkward and difficult to get into and out of, especially my feet.

I test-drove a TSX and did not notice any discomfort for my legs.
Old 07-31-2003 | 06:02 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm 6 ft tall and more of my height is in my legs as well. I haven't found any problems with space, front or rear, although the rear was a little cramped if the driver was too far back (not all the way, that is impossible for me).
Old 07-31-2003 | 06:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm 6 ft tall also, but since I drive pretty close to the steering to avoid back pains, but also for a good sensation of control, my right knee has been into a fight with the left part of the console. I too found it to be pretty bulky, and it was uncomfortable at first, and on long trips, it got downright painful, but it seems that since then I have got used to my legs being settled in one way, and it doesn't really bother me anymore now.
Old 07-31-2003 | 06:41 AM
Nuke

I am 6 ft with size 11 feet. The car is very comfortable on long trips (4 hour trip has been my longest non-stop to date). I test drove the TSX back to back with a V6 Accord EX on 30-45 minute drives and did not notice the TSX more restrictive for my feet.
Old 07-31-2003 | 07:43 AM
Instructor

Well, I'm a little surprised more of you haven't noticed it. I figured even if you were a little shorter you likely would be moving your seat closer and, given what I assume to be about a 1" or 2" leg length difference from hip to knee between us (anyone between 5'8" and 6'2"), it would be affecting one and all.

While I agree with "Snake" Larchmont about wanting a tighter, narrower, shorter car for better 'slithering' on the road, my current '92 Camry is only a inch wider overall, but I have a few more inches to move about next to the console.

Due to this tighter confine, my concern is two-fold: the side of my leg getting uncomfortable resting/rubbing constantly and the lack of ability to stretch/rotate my right leg at the hip.

saucemans response gives me more hope, since he is the only one who even seemed to notice it and had been affected by it in the first place.

Jason, as far as the meet is concerned.. not an owner yet (or if I will be fer sure). I'm in a deathgrip struggle to decide between the Mazda 6 and the TSX. Both cars have their strong points and some similarities too, the TSX being greater in overall features and refinement, of course. But the Mazda is a great value at a lesser price too.

combustible1 - 6'2", with issues.
Old 07-31-2003 | 08:26 AM
Advanced

I find the front seat leg room to be fine and I find the seats very comfortable. Where I have my biggest issues is in rear seat leg room. For reasons I can't fathom, there is actually less rear seat legroom in the TSX than in my wife's Honda Civic, which is surprising considering that it is a longer, wider, taller vehicle with a longer wheelbase:

TSX, Civic Sedan:

Front Headroom 37.8 in., 39.8 in.

Rear Headroom 37.3 in., 37.2 in.

Front Legroom 42.4 in., 42.2 in.

Rear Legroom 34.2 in., 36 in.

Front Shoulder Room 55.4 in., 52.6 in.

Rear Shoulder Room 53.5 in., 52 in.

Front Hip Room 54.4 in., 51.2 in.

Rear Hip Room 54.4 in., 49.8 in.

Source: MSN Autos

Jaeger
Old 07-31-2003 | 08:32 AM
Pro

When I went to test drive the TSX for the first time last week, I did notice the roof of the car being a little low, or maybe I was sitting too high. Well, I enjoyed the car anyway. I've driven a good amount of cars and they all just take a little time getting used to. Once you get used to the car, you're in total control.
Old 07-31-2003 | 08:32 AM
More On

Originally posted by Jaeger
......Where I have my biggest issues is in rear seat leg room. For reasons I can't fathom, there is actually less rear seat legroom in the TSX than in my wife's Honda Civic.....

TSX, Civic Sedan:

Rear Legroom 34.2 in., 36 in. ......
Puzzled. From the first moment that TSX came out, one of the unanimous main points was how roomy the back seat felt, compared to other cars of TSX's size. But more recently (really only very recently, from what I've been able to tell), a few people have been saying this (not many, though).

I don't sit back there, so I don't know. But I don't get it.
Old 07-31-2003 | 08:46 AM
wiz
Pro

Yeah well I'm a big guy, 6', and I have longer legs and rather large feet (wear a size 14). I have no problems with leg space in the car at all...albeit I have the seat all the way back.
Old 07-31-2003 | 09:12 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by combustible1
Jason, as far as the meet is concerned.. not an owner yet (or if I will be fer sure). I'm in a deathgrip struggle to decide between the Mazda 6 and the TSX. Both cars have their strong points and some similarities too, the TSX being greater in overall features and refinement, of course. But the Mazda is a great value at a lesser price too.
Well C-Bust, this meet is about the memebers of the forum as much as it is about the TSX. We have a few non-TSX people coming to the event just to hang out. Some are coming from OH and GA, and since you are local I thought you might want to come out and check the cars. It might help you make your decision.
Old 07-31-2003 | 09:40 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by larchmont
I don't sit back there, so I don't know. But I don't get it.
I don't get it either. Initially I thought "Well, it must be that they apportioned significantly more front leg room in the TSX". But those measurements are alomost indentical to the Civic. I don't ride in the back either, but I do have occasion to transport two adults back there and I don't want to have to make apologies... For me it's the ONLY downside to an otherwise tremendously appealing car. The new TL may solve the problem of space, but create a problem of $$$$

Cheers,

Jaeger
Old 07-31-2003 | 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

how does the tsx's interior size compare to the a4 and is300 and 3 series?
Old 07-31-2003 | 04:49 PM
Instructor

Ahh the advantages of being short. I'm 5'6" and there is no problem for anybody sitting behind me. My wife 5'2" so it's even better for somebody sitting behind her. :P
Old 07-31-2003 | 04:50 PM
Instructor

I believe the TSX's interior is larger in size than the A4, IS300, and 3 Series. Those cars are classified as "Sub-Compacts" where the TSX is a "Mid-size Car"
Old 07-31-2003 | 05:46 PM
bic
Cruisin'

A4 is almost identical to the TSX in all interior measurements. IS300 similar as well but drops off in the rear seat with only 30.2" of leg room and front shoulder room is about 3" less than the A4 and TSX. (According to Edmunds)
Old 07-31-2003 | 08:09 PM
More On

Originally posted by bic
A4 is almost identical to the TSX in all interior measurements......
Yes, but one of the things that people seemed to be saying early on (when most of the subjective observations of this were being posted) was that somehow the TSX felt roomier. I don't think there was even a single voice on the other side -- which is noteworthy even though it's a TSX site; the people weren't hesitating to cite negatives about the car.
Old 08-01-2003 | 06:01 AM
Suzuka Master

On my drive home yesterday I tried to pay close attention to what people described as being cramped a little. As I said earlier, I'm 6' with most of my height in my legs. I simply couldn't understand where the cramped feeling was, so I'll comment on how I have my seat set.

I do have my seat a little more than 3/4 of the way back, the posterior of the seat down (on the long toggle for the seat controls, I have the rear adjustment down as far as can be), the front part of the seat up about 1/2 way and the back adjustment more upright than not (ie NOT the pimp, laying back look). This seems to give my legs more support and not needing to "spread out".

Just a thought
Old 08-01-2003 | 09:51 AM
Instructor

I'm sure you tried this, combustible, but put the seat way back and telescope the steering wheel so that it is within reach. That should stretch out your legs a bit and make the center console less intrusive.

Of course, you could get an SUV (or better yet, a minivan!) that has no center console.
Old 08-01-2003 | 10:30 AM
Instructor

It gets a little tricky when you have a moonroof in the car too. Most cars with them have tighter headroom, which for us taller folk, forces us to drop down the seat to it's lowest point. By doing so, I notice that you reduce some of the angle adjustments that may help give you the ideal seating position. (I noticed this in the Mazda 6 too, with their 8-way power seat).

Now, pushing the seat all the way back would help, both with adding some head room and possibly lateral room for the right leg, as id888 suggests. However, I don't feel entirely comfortable back so far. Even when telescoping the wheel out, there's not as much bend in the elbows as I would ideally like (but may be able to get used to).

Plus being further back, in order to reach the foot pedals, you ended up increasing the angle between your torso and thighs beyond 90 degrees. A generally accepted anatomical fact is that your back will be more comfortable when you can maintain that 90 degree or smaller distance.

Then again, maybe I'm overthinking all this. But that's me.

Jason, if I did make it to the TSX meet, I'd want to hole up in some ones TSX for an hour, appearing anti-social as I try to get comfortable finding an ideal seating position.

Yes, sometimes shorter men DO have it better.
Old 08-01-2003 | 10:44 AM
Racer

Originally posted by combustible1
Well, I'm a little surprised more of you haven't noticed it. I figured even if you were a little shorter you likely would be moving your seat closer and, given what I assume to be about a 1" or 2" leg length difference from hip to knee between us (anyone between 5'8" and 6'2"), it would be affecting one and all.

While I agree with "Snake" Larchmont about wanting a tighter, narrower, shorter car for better 'slithering' on the road, my current '92 Camry is only a inch wider overall, but I have a few more inches to move about next to the console.

Due to this tighter confine, my concern is two-fold: the side of my leg getting uncomfortable resting/rubbing constantly and the lack of ability to stretch/rotate my right leg at the hip.

saucemans response gives me more hope, since he is the only one who even seemed to notice it and had been affected by it in the first place.

combustible1 - 6'2", with issues.

When I saw you were a '92 Camry owner, I had to reply

I'm 6'4" and I prefer to have my seat up pretty close to the steering wheel, and I have noticed my right leg resting against the left portion of the center console (along with the key dangling against my knee). Same is true for my girlfriend's '03 Accord. I drove my Camry for 11 years, but I can't remember what I did with my right leg -- I guess it just floated around. Anyway, the only time it bothers me is when I'm sweaty (i.e. on the way home from the gym), because I don't like getting sweat/salt residue on my beautiful TSX interior. So that forces me to hold my right leg in more, which does get tiring. That said, the TSX driving position is plenty comfortable, and I personally consider this a non-issue.

Hope this helps.