TSX or G35

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 12:22 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by domn
Now put yourself on snow or ice and tell us where you'd rather be. (Don't say G35 AWD)

If you live in a warm climate then this is obviously not a valid point.
Don't sell your point short, Dom. Some people (and experts, and authorities) feel FWD has significant advantages on wet surfaces in general, not just snow or ice.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Luck favors the ignorant.

Now put yourself on snow or ice and tell us where you'd rather be. (Don't say G35 AWD)

If you live in a warm climate then this is obviously not a valid point.
Now why would you think I would do that?

I actually know how to drive on Snow/Ice with RWD. But yes, I would prefer under that one condition to be in a FWD or AWD car. Which is why I own a MDX.

Originally posted by larchmont
Don't sell your point short, Dom. Some people (and experts, and authorities) feel FWD has significant advantages on wet surfaces in general, not just snow or ice.
I bought my S80 T6 for those reasons. But the first time I had a understeer issue that cost me $900 for repairs, I started rethinking that issue. Once I am done tooling around in my Vette, I will probably get either a TL, RL, Infiniti Q45, BMW 7 Series, or BMW 545. TL should in 3 years be weight balanced and programmed very well for a FWD vehicle. But I would still consider for north Texas the BMW 5 and 7 series safer.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by larchmont
and SOME people (experts and authorities) feel RWD has advantages over FWD on wet surfaces in general as well.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
and SOME people (experts and authorities) feel RWD has advantages over FWD on wet surfaces in general as well.
Gilbo, YOU don't count as an expert

I think on a flat surface a RWD car car be just as safe as a FWD vehicle. But I personally think that once your going uphill in the snow a FWD car is much, much safer and easier to control than a RWD car. I'm no expert, but I speak from plenty of experience living in Canada.

Gilbo, why did you buy an AWD 3? Admit it, you thought it safer for these Toronto winters and generally a better all season setup than the RWD 3.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:37 PM

g35 coupe comes with 18s so im sure its very safe on "ice".
Old 09-15-2003, 02:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by adam fiooz

No further Comment.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:19 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by adam fiooz
Once in a while, I come across a statement that stops me dead in my tracks. Your sentence is a blooming desert flower in the Sahara of discourse that is acura-tsx.com.

Could you elaborate? I'm looking forward to your explanation.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:22 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by dnb
Once in a while, I come across a statement that stops me dead in my tracks. Your sentence is a blooming desert flower in the Sahara of discourse that is acura-tsx.com.

Could you elaborate? I'm looking forward to your explanation.

I think we have another post of the month nomination.

I'd like to hear the explanation too.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Skull One
The moment you have to resort to foul language in an argument is the moment you have failed to win the argument.

That aside, speed is not the major issue alone. Vehicle control is. If I were in an emergency or even certain non-emergency maneuvers I would want to be in the G35 over the TSX. Simpy put the understeer issues of the TSX can and will put you in a bad position. The G35 does not have this issue. The cost difference is about safety and control.

And yes I have driven both cars for over an hour each. I tried the same high speed (40+ MPH) turns and the TSX pushed out every time making the turn dangerous (Thank goodness I was in a controlled enviroment with no traffic).
I had a G35 for about 8 months before I got my TSX and let me tell you what I noticed as did a lot of other G35 owners on freshalloy (Nissan/Infiniti forums). The G35 can be put in to a WICKED oversteer situation with a quick flip of the wheel. Let me tell you this ... if something happens where I need to dodge something that has stopped quickly in front of me and brakes alone do not work ... I will gladly take the TSX. The G35's long wheelbase and handling composure in quick jerks of the wheels is enough to scare the pants out of anyone (even those who claim to be RWD experts) as you will quickly be in a 360 spinout.

Please don't take this to mean that the G35 can't smoke the TSX in the 40mph hard corners or a controlled slalom ... because the G35 is a fine handling car, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the oversteer in evasive maneuvers (even with the VSA-like VDC system) could put you in more trouble that you started.

Adam ...... oh boy.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:50 PM

lol nothing to say nice post provench.i agree
Old 09-15-2003, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
An earlier C&D sedan comparison made exactly that observation. They said something like ". . .more oversteer than you remember with your brother's Mustang in the rain." That was without the VDC activated which usually hinders ultimate performance.

However, many people think that a stability control system allows them to drive beyond safe limits. They expect that the stability control will save them if they make a mistake. That's the first mistake: you can't ignore the laws of physics. Stability control, even AWD, can only do so much.

I experienced some wicked oversteer in my S2000 once. I gave the car too much throttle coming out of a off-camber left sweeper (on a public road) and the rear end came around very quickly. I ended up swapping ends and ruining a pair of underwear.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:04 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by provench
..... oh boy.
Provench --- remember this moment. In a few years you'll be addressing your kids in the same exasperated tone. (I should know; I have little children of my own.)
Old 09-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

By the way ... another note ... don't try to drive your G35 sedan with summer tires on sleet Another one that I can speak with experience on

I think back to the "oh ... I have a few more hours until it gets real bad out there" moment and just shake my head. It was like driving on a skating rink ... I would have made it home ok, but I came around a bind corner going downhill to notice that FOUR cars were in the ditch .... well ... tap the brakes (not much choice other than going over the cliff or hitting oncoming traffic on the other side of the road ... and I was #5 Tap brake + sleet + RWD + summer tires = ditch for me. Oh well ... no damage done luckily to either me or the car
Old 09-15-2003, 04:00 PM

I had a G35 for about 8 months before I got my TSX and let me tell you what I noticed as did a lot of other G35 owners on freshalloy (Nissan/Infiniti forums). The G35 can be put in to a WICKED oversteer situation with a quick flip of the wheel. Let me tell you this ... if something happens where I need to dodge something that has stopped quickly in front of me and brakes alone do not work ... I will gladly take the TSX. The G35's long wheelbase and handling composure in quick jerks of the wheels is enough to scare the pants out of anyone (even those who claim to be RWD experts) as you will quickly be in a 360 spinout.

Please don't take this to mean that the G35 can't smoke the TSX in the 40mph hard corners or a controlled slalom ... because the G35 is a fine handling car, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the oversteer in evasive maneuvers (even with the VSA-like VDC system) could put you in more trouble that you started.

Adam ...... oh boy.

Most interesting. I didn't test that exact condition at all. When I go to replace the Vette (should I not get the C6), I will remember to add that to my list of "How to piss off / scare the salesman" test.

BTW: If you ever test drive a Vette and you see a little button behind the gear shift labeled "Active Handling", hold it down for 8 seconds and the computer will flip to Competitive Drive mode. Which means you can have a little fun with wheel spin and simple power slides in turns. It also has a tendency to scare the salesman that are used to never having it off of full automatic control (almost no wheel spin).
Old 09-15-2003, 04:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

By the way ... another note ... don't try to drive your G35 sedan with summer tires on sleet Another one that I can speak with experience on

I think back to the "oh ... I have a few more hours until it gets real bad out there" moment and just shake my head. It was like driving on a skating rink ... I would have made it home ok, but I came around a bind corner going downhill to notice that FOUR cars were in the ditch .... well ... tap the brakes (not much choice other than going over the cliff or hitting oncoming traffic on the other side of the road ... and I was #5 Tap brake + sleet + RWD + summer tires = ditch for me. Oh well ... no damage done luckily to either me or the car
If you would have sprung for the optional 18" tires that would have all been avoided.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:20 PM

If you would have sprung for the optional 18" tires that would have all been avoided.
Boooo Hissssss

You are a bad bad man.

LOL!