TSX or G35

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question TSX or G35

I'm about ready to get my TSX but my brother keeps telling me that I should get a G35 instead.

I drove the G35, with an auto, when it first came out and liked the car a lot. I was impressed with the roomy interior (especially the backseat) which is kind of important because my wife and I have a new baby. I also liked the 260 hp and how well planted the car feels. The styling is nice (probably more striking on the outside than the TSX) but there are a few ergonomic issues with the interior. I also found some fit-and-finish problems with the car I drove.

I was quoted a price of $32,750 for a G35 6MT with the Premium Package, navigation system, and Aero Package. I'm torn on the Winter Package -- I'd like to have the heated seats and mirrors but I'm not thrilled about being forced to use all-season tires. Tires do wear out and will eventually be changed but you can't add heated seats and mirrors later.

Which way should I go? I really like the TSX and have little to complain about it other than what's usually mentioned here. I also like the G35 but have some issues with it (which aren't big enough to deter me from buying the car). $32,750 is a great price on the G35 (around $750 over invoice) and I feel confident about getting a TSX for $1000 under MSRP. Help me!

Any and all comments, little or big, biased or unbiased, are appreciated.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if the G35 was a coupe i would probably get it because the four door looks kind of lame IMO. On the other hand Tsx is a very well equiped car with heated seat, moon roof, etc.... plus the price is way lower.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Provench, the Acura-TSX Admin went directly from a G35 to a TSX, so I'm sure he can give you a unbiased opinion. I've driven the G35 once. The int was'nt quite up to the level of the TSX IMO and the Ext styling is nice but already looks somewhat outdated IMO. Its not a design that will age as well as the TSX I think. Other than that, its a great car.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:38 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really can't compard the G35 6MT to the 6MT TSX. G35 blows it away. It outperforms, outclasses, and outstyles (on the exterior) the TSX no matter whom you talk to. If money is not a problem I think you'll enjoy the G35C much better.

If you're going for a 4 door that's got great gas mileage and can still be opened up on the w/ends, while also saving 5-6 grand, then a TSX would be more to your liking.

Also the interior on the G35 is cheapy looking as compared to the beautiful TSX interior.

I wrote this assuming you were talking about the G35Coupe but if you're talking about the sedan then I didn't know it came in a 6MT. If it does then more power to ya. Go for that one.

Sorry, don't mean to rag on any TSX owners here this is just mho.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:39 PM
Instructor

For me, the G35's interior was a deal breaker, the styling and quality of materials was very poor. The TSX's interior is its best feature for me.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:44 PM
Racer

well if the G35 was a coupe
It is a coupe and it's hot looking. Damn, if the thing had a trunk that could fit something larger than a golf-bag, I might be putting in my order!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by civic4982
You really can't compard the G35 6MT to the 6MT TSX. G35 blows it away. It outperforms, outclasses, and outstyles (on the exterior) the TSX no matter whom you talk to.
No matter who you talk to eh? Are you serious?? Looks are entirely subjective and I've talked to many people who like the TSX exterior styling better. The G35 sedan looked good to me for about a day and then got old. And this was waaaay before I even knew the TSX existed. Definetly outperforms, not so sure about outclassing.

But that will all change when the G35's intended competition comes to market in Oct, the 04 TL.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

.....but if you're talking about the sedan then I didn't know it came in a 6MT...
It didn't at first, but It does now. Since just after the introduction of the coupe, I think.

s2000, if you have no problems with the interior (a major complaint around here), and you don't mind spending the extra dough, get the G35. If I had had that amount of money to spend on a car, that's exactly what I would have gotten. G35 sedan, 6MT, Aero/Premium/Winter pkg. (no navi, though).

It's all about whether the step up to the G35 is worth the price difference. And that's ultimately your call.

PS. Not sure how far north Tracy, CA is, but if it's cold in the winter, I say get the winter package and replace the tires later.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:57 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont like the looks of the g35 sedan. and i hate the interior...

the equipment list is nice...

but overall the car is a snooze.

the coupe on the other hand is sexy despite its disgusting interior.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Soopa your winning us back with posts like that.

But I agree with Clutch. if you can stand the Exterior and Interior and can afford it? get the G35. Or wait for the 04 TL. October is coming fast. And Yes a 6Sp will be available.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:51 PM
Racer

g35>tsx regardless of the interior. if i had the money to get the g35 coupe 6mt/navi for your price (if i had the extra $5k), i would've easily ditched my tsx for the g35... coming from a tsx owner.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:54 PM
bic
Cruisin'

G35 if you want off line performace. TSX if you enjoy the subtleties in life and extra cash in your pocket. Both great cars, but the interior of the TSX, ah....................................
Old 07-31-2003, 07:22 PM
ySL
Advanced

Re: TSX or G35

Originally posted by TSX-S2000
I drove the G35, with an auto, when it first came out and liked the car a lot. I was impressed with the roomy interior (especially the backseat) which is kind of important because my wife and I have a new baby. I also liked the 260 hp and how well planted the car feels.
If the size of the car and the speed is not an issue, then the TSX is the better buy....but the G35 is the better car...since you mentioned that you like the 260hp and the roomy interior so much and with the baby on the way, I'd go with the Infiniti...the TSX accelerates like a Civic compared to the G35...

But if you like the styling of the G35 so much, maybe you should check out the new TL? I think that would be the better comparison...
Old 07-31-2003, 08:43 PM
5th Gear

The G35 was on my list as well. When I went in the back to look at the local dealer's selection, I stopped to look at the G35 service loaners they had parked nearby. What made me rethink the G35 was the extreme amount of wear they had on the interior after only a short amount of time. There must have been around 15 loaners, and the leather on the driver seat bolsters was worn badly, as well as the driver's door armrests and the center console with the silver paint. I know that they are just loaners that people abuse, but that much wear that quickly?

I'll stick with the TSX.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:16 PM
Advanced

You really can't compard the G35 6MT to the 6MT TSX. G35 blows it away. It outperforms, outclasses, and outstyles (on the exterior) the TSX no matter whom you talk to.
Unless the person you talk to is me, that is. But again, what do I know.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:28 PM
A- GERMAN CAR HATER

....as far as the g35 goes...the outside it cool, but once you get your ass on that seat and look at the dash, one word somes to mind...cheap!!! Get a TSX,.......and black the windows out...VIP style....
Old 07-31-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro

If you don't need the room, go for the TSX, but if you do...obviously the G35 would be your choice. If you want sporty, then the TSX I think would be better. The G35 is more of a luxury car with great power. So you should ask yourself, sporty or luxury?

I see the TSX as a sports car with luxury features and the G35 is a luxury car with sporty features. Weigh them out...which do you want.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:34 AM
Houston we have a problem

I think G35 sedan 6MT is a great deal. Personally I would prefer a coupe. The VQ engine's torque is to die for. People are right about the interior. Even my fanatic friend agrees that the G35 interior looks like a nissan Altima. But I test drove both sedan and coupe and prefer the way coupe handles. plus TSX is FWD whereas G35 is RWD. If you like to drive, G35 is a better choice, if not, TSX is a fine choice too. But also consider the new TL, which has the looks, power and superior interior material choices (albeit still FWD).
Old 08-01-2003, 05:54 AM
Instructor

Well I kinda like both, and they both have there pro's and con's. If you are not on a budget then I'd suggest the g35s 6mt. If you are then get the TSX. For the money I don't think any other car in its class offers the same amount of options standard/non-standard. If you are a performance freak (ie Straight line & twisties) G35 all the way (5.7 0-60, 14.2 1/4 mile). So the G35 sedan 6mt is just as fast as the coupe. But you mentioned spending 32K+ dollars. For that amount you can get the G35 Coupe. One last thing, this G53 interior is cheap talk is overblown IMO. I've sat in both versions, and felt(molested) every surface in the car. My only complaint was the Center stack that looked like painted plastic, everything else seems like luxury to me. If there was something I missed, would any mind telling me where to look next time for this cheapness Personally I'd get the TSX...simply because it has just enough performance to get me around town, and I love its interior layout.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:29 AM

If u got the dough, the G35. It is THE car to have at 30k.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:33 AM
Instructor

I was ready to buy a G35 before I saw (and eventually bought) the TSX. Why I didn't buy the G35:

1. Despite reading on the Internet about people getting great deals on their G35s (as little as $500 over invoice), my local dealerships were barely dealing at all. They were almost arrogant about it. One dealership offered me $700 under MSRP on a demo with 700 miles! Anyway, for a G35 Sedan 6MT with navi/premium/winter, I was looking at, probably, $34K. $6K more than my TSX.

2. I spent a lot of time at g35driver.com and there was a recurring theme of owners having to replace brake pads (and in some case, rotors) at 15k miles or less. I drive about 30k miles per year, so the thought of an expensive brake job after 6 months was just too short of a honeymoon period for me.

Mike
Old 08-01-2003, 06:50 AM

I must admit, the TSX interior totally owns anything in it's class. The sub 30k market and some under 40k cars. It really is a convincing argument.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:23 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 95 Legend LS
The G35 was on my list as well. When I went in the back to look at the local dealer's selection, I stopped to look at the G35 service loaners they had parked nearby. What made me rethink the G35 was the extreme amount of wear they had on the interior after only a short amount of time. There must have been around 15 loaners, and the leather on the driver seat bolsters was worn badly, as well as the driver's door armrests and the center console with the silver paint. I know that they are just loaners that people abuse, but that much wear that quickly?

I'll stick with the TSX.
I've noticed this problem as well with other Nissan products. Friend of mine has a Jeep Cherokee and had a Accident and got a Nissan Murano for a week. As soon as I saw it I was like "Alot better then your Cherokee?" thinking the Murano was alot better. He said he would'nt take of these POS's if it was free. The Murano had 15.000km and the interior looked as if it was 20 years old. Unbelievably cheap lookng and the leather was worn to hell. The driver seat angled down towards the door, as if it was bent. I was in shok as this was the first Murano I had seen.
Sure they put nice 3.5L engines in all their cars, but they have to save money somewhere and int materials is where they do it.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:27 AM
Pro

we got my TSX few days after my neighbour got a G35. the black looks better than other G35, but difficult to keep it clean.... there are few reason we went for TSX, TSX's FWD, reliability, and fuel economy, and 4 door. if i live at place where there snow is not an issue, i might consider G35 or a BMW other than Honda. if you have a baby, then get a TSX because it's safer due to FWD... but it smaller than G35. hope these helps.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:46 AM
I love my TSX!

my brother got a 2003 g35 sedan 6mt/aero package/non-navi/silver 2 days before i got my tsx/6mt/non navi/silver. it's a wicked car....the interior is not that bad. the only bad thing is that the dash is a bit plain but at least it tilts with the wheel....i think the plain looking dash is the only bad thing. everything else is sweet. both front seats are power, rear seats recline, leather looks to be a bit more higher quality, bose stereo with cassette and subwoofer, full size spare tire with the exact same rim as you have outside, the hvac display is nicer, and way more room. i personally think its sportier than the tsx because it's lower, wider, rwd, cockpit sits lower, shifter is shorter, and the car is very very powerful. even though his car feels sportier the tsx looks sportier. i've been able to compare both cars pretty good...we live at the same house. he loves his car i love his car he loves my car and i love my car....we both made great choices. the g35 doesn't really suit my image...it looks more of a proffesional's car. i'm a jeans tshirt running shoe kind of guy and i look weird in it....i think i still look sorta weird in my tsx but not as much as if i was in the g35.

g35 sedans are also a dime a dozen unlike the tsx....but thats because they've been out for a while already. it all comes down to what you want...if you want true sports sedan over a car with sports car characteristics and the price difference is no big deal to you go for the g35. either or...both cars are sweet!
Old 08-01-2003, 09:09 AM
9th Gear

I also think that the interior in the G35 is not as bad as everyone says. I've sat in both G35 sedan and coupe, and the TSX. The coupe's interior actually seems to be a bit higher quality than the sedan, but I am not sure if the sedan got upgraded mid-year to match it. The only things I think the G35 interior that does not compare to the TSX is the center console (looks too plasticky), and the speedo and tach definitely looks much better in the TSX.

But overall I would say G35 interior is maybe half a notch below TSX, so I think the more important thing to look at is whether you want RWD or FWD and price IMO since features are very similar between the 2 cars as well.

And I've also read in other forums that a lot of RSXs, and some 03 accords already have cracking leather seats, so I wouldn't say the leather in the G35 is a lot worse than Acura/Honda, although TSX leather is definitely much better than the accord's and slightly better than RSX, so maybe it will last longer.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by drifter
I also think that the interior in the G35 is not as bad as everyone says. I've sat in both G35 sedan and coupe, and the TSX. The coupe's interior actually seems to be a bit higher quality than the sedan, but I am not sure if the sedan got upgraded mid-year to match it. The only things I think the G35 interior that does not compare to the TSX is the center console (looks too plasticky), and the speedo and tach definitely looks much better in the TSX.

But overall I would say G35 interior is maybe half a notch below TSX, so I think the more important thing to look at is whether you want RWD or FWD and price IMO since features are very similar between the 2 cars as well.

And I've also read in other forums that a lot of RSXs, and some 03 accords already have cracking leather seats, so I wouldn't say the leather in the G35 is a lot worse than Acura/Honda, although TSX leather is definitely much better than the accord's and slightly better than RSX, so maybe it will last longer.
Yess that's what it was, the dash!!!. The gauges looked plain because it's all one piece, and the background color doesn't go well with the guage colors. The TSX dash is the bomb....almost looks better than the Audi/VW's.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Sometimes I wonder what a car the TSX would be with a 250 HP 3.0 V6. I mean it looks better in and out IMO than a G35. Its lighter on its feet. Unfortunately its only a dream....
Old 08-01-2003, 12:37 PM

Sometimes I wonder what a car the TSX would be with a 250 HP 3.0 V6. I mean it looks better in and out IMO than a G35. Its lighter on its feet. Unfortunately its only a dream....
Have u driven a G35? That car handles AWESOME stock, it is very confidence inspiring. Available with Brembos and Air diffusers, it's a real sports sedan/car.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:22 PM
9th Gear

Originally posted by domn
With a 3.0 V6 in the TSX it will be VERY front heavy since it is FWD, and the handling capabilities that it has now will definitely be compromised. I have no doubts that the I-4 TSX is a great handling car, but I think a V-6 TSX probably won't be able to keep up with the G35.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Have u driven a G35? That car handles AWESOME stock, it is very confidence inspiring. Available with Brembos and Air diffusers, it's a real sports sedan/car.
I have driven a G35 and liked it. I never said the TSX handled better only that its lighter on its feet. I simply prefer the look in and out of the TSX better. I also prefer the fact that its FWD, lots of snow up here.

If I was looking to spend 45K CAD on a car the G would have been at teh top of my list but a 250-260 HP TSX at 45K would have been much higher on that list.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:32 PM
I love my TSX!

wait for the 2004 TL....pretty much a tsx on steroids by the looks of it. probably be similar to the top of the line g35 in price too.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for all the comments.

I actually ended up buying a G35 sedan almost two weeks ago (Garnet Fire/graphite, 6-speed, navigation, premium package, winter package, and aero package). I was able to get it for $500 over invoice and 2.9% financing for 60 months. Payments worked out to be about $70 more than the TSX but the insurance is less (over $200/year less!).

I wasn't happy being stuck with all-season tires as part of the winter package but tires can be changed while adding heated seats and mirrors later is difficult to do.

The interior is not up to TSX quality, the shifter throws are a bit longer and notchier, and the engine is definetly not as smooth but the car is very roomy which was an important factor. There are also a few features that are lacking and cost-cutting procedures that bug me a little. However, in the end it's a better car for my purpose. If I wasn't able to find the right G35 at the right price (it was the only one in a 150 mile radius of my house with all of the features I wanted) then I was ready to get the TSX.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Banned

on paper the G35 has the advantage over the TSX. heck I almost bought one!

problem is I think the rear of the car is pretty fugly... never could get over that.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:15 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Originally posted by Crazytree
on paper the G35 has the advantage over the TSX. heck I almost bought one!

problem is I think the rear of the car is pretty fugly... never could get over that.
damn right, the end of the G35 is nothing compare to the tsx. The thing i hated most about it was the tail light.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The G35 Coupe is one of the coolest cars out there, the sedan however nice it may be, looks like SHIT. Regarding the insurance thing, how is that possible. I did some online quotes also and the G35 was way cheaper. I don't understand how a TSX can be more to insure than a G35 Coupe.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by swami
I don't understand how a TSX can be more to insure than a G35 Coupe.
cuz it's a honda?
Old 08-30-2003, 07:25 AM
Banned

I have changed my mind after having driven a G35 M6. It offers more than the TSX but for an higher tag price. Is it worth it? I think that a V6 and +60HP makes all the difference in the world. I don't like its exterior styling, but I could live with the Coupe.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:23 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Are you serios with this question???? G35!!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

I had never seen the G35 or the TSX on the road, but today I saw both within 5 minutes of each other, both from behind. Desert Platinum & Indigo Blue Pearl.

Absolutely without any doubt in my mind, the G35 looked beautiful, and the TSX looked ugly (it looked too square and not wide enough). Maybe it grows on you, but those were my first impressions. Also, the G35 looked like a sports car, whereas the TSX a conservative family car.

Not sure if the G35 was a sedan or coupe - I wasn't able to catch it in my old beater.

Strange, because when I was at the dealer's, I thought the TSX rear looked OK.

Quick Reply: TSX or G35