Top 10 cars for teens

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 01:53 AM
bleh...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top 10 cars for teens

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4136404/

must be cars for rich parents to afford for their teens.

discuss...
Old 02-03-2004, 02:00 AM
Registered AssHat

Interesting that they were all MY2004 except for the 2001 Lexus IS300. Odd.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:30 AM
Cruisin'

my parents didnt buy me a car till i was a sophomore in college. the year was 93 and the model was an 85 nissan sentra hatchback. i had to park it on inclines so i could pop the clutch due to constant alternator troubles. i even took a girl out on a first date and she had to push start me because she didnt drive stick. and i thought i was lucky to even have wheels!
Old 02-03-2004, 03:45 AM
Instructor

some rich teens !
Old 02-03-2004, 04:37 AM
Racer

these car for teens?! come on.. the write want more accident on the roads.. car for teens: honda civic.. toyota echo... chev Aveo... dodge neon... kia reo.... hyundai accent... deawoo lanos... suzuki swift.... ford focus.. They are good enough for teen. Aagin.. the writer have a major problem in his brain.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:55 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

I submit that a base VW Jetta or Golf would be an excellent choice for a teen. You can get one for about $15000, and even though they are small, they weigh about 3000 lbs (quite heavy for their size) and have 5 airbags. Accident survivability is far better than most other "base" models.

Teens are so likely to smash up their first car that it seems silly to spend it on something nice and expensive. It makes even less sense to spend it on something that has lots of power.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:16 AM
heywood j. ablowme

what the hell? dude, a lot of teens drive better and safer than older/old people on the road. teens wreck their cars trying to avoid hitting slow, dumb old drivers. true, teens tend to be careless, but don't assume they all wreck their first cars.

i got a 25k car as my 17th birthday present, (rents paid, go figure.) but my parents waited a year to see how i drive. most of my friends had cars ranging from AT LEAST 20k, most of them in 35k range... and one bastard got a loaded 330xi. as far as i remember, none of them wrecked their cars. minor scratches every now and then, got hit by older people every now and then, but didn't cause any accidents.

my opinion is, the better car the teens get, the more careful they'll be, and they'll be able to handle the car better/easier to avoid accidents. think about it, if my car's brakes suck, it would be harder to avoid rear ending someone, etc.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

I got a 89 honda accord for my first car, im glad that i got a car, but DAMN WHAT A P.O.S.!

my parents paid about 3k for it, and i had to pay insurance.
i had it for about a year, then i bought my si.

my parents just bought my little brother, who is 17, a 2004 srt-4...lucky S.O.B.!
Old 02-03-2004, 09:52 AM
The Voice of Reason

Re: Top 10 cars for teens

Originally posted by Agent_Chen
must be cars for rich parents to afford for their teens
Often as not for rich parents it's mom's old MB or Volvo station wagon that's been sitting at the end of the driveway being used as a home for the squirrels for a couple years just waiting for the occasion.

That's why the parents are rich!

Your experience may vary!
Old 02-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by freeride149
as far as i remember, none of them wrecked their cars. minor scratches every now and then, got hit by older people every now and then, but didn't cause any accidents.
If you are a 17 year-old driver the chances of gettin hit by "older people" are much greater. Think about it, almost every other driver out there is older than 17. Even if you race your 17 year-old buddies chances are you won't hit them but someone else.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

what the hell? dude, a lot of teens drive better and safer than older/old people on the road. teens wreck their cars trying to avoid hitting slow, dumb old drivers. true, teens tend to be careless, but don't assume they all wreck their first cars.

i got a 25k car as my 17th birthday present, (rents paid, go figure.) but my parents waited a year to see how i drive. most of my friends had cars ranging from AT LEAST 20k, most of them in 35k range... and one bastard got a loaded 330xi. as far as i remember, none of them wrecked their cars. minor scratches every now and then, got hit by older people every now and then, but didn't cause any accidents.

my opinion is, the better car the teens get, the more careful they'll be, and they'll be able to handle the car better/easier to avoid accidents. think about it, if my car's brakes suck, it would be harder to avoid rear ending someone, etc.
Sorry, but

You'll change your mind in a couple of years
Old 02-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by jcg878
Sorry, but

You'll change your mind in a couple of years
Amen to that. There isn't a person I know that won't admit to being a silly know-it-all as a teenager. Now, I'm not trying to offend any teens that may be browsing this board, but no matter what you've accomplished at this point in your life... You'll hit that 'eye opener' at 25.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

i hit the "eye opener" at 18, first car payment!

WOW!

follow that up with a mortgage at 20, then the tsx payment at 21.
now, my car's fate is up in the air, and i still have to make my payments untill it is deemed totalled or not.......

whats in store for 22? lol
Old 02-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Advanced

For the longest time, I drove my parents' old and discarded Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (1978). It smelled like gasoline inside, would backfire now and then, had a crappy tape/radio deck, floated like it road on water (Raging Waters), and had a nasty tendancy to quit or hestitate on me whenever I punched the throttle (made my rear end clench everytime I tried to merge onto the freeway). But I survived. The car eventually just died on the freeway, was towed away, and I never saw the thing again (RIP).

Moral of the story, for a kid, any form of basic transportation is a luxury, and the older and crappier the car, the more memories you are going to have. It's a right of passage in a way. Really, all you need are four wheels, an engine, some semblance of a metallic body and a nice wide rear seat for....well, like I said, it's a right of passage.

I won't preach, but I think it's a bit decadent to give a kid, who hasn't really accomplished much in life yet (yeah, yeah, I know...well he/she volunteers for this that and the other, is an honor student, yeah, yeah....I mean really accomplish something in life) something that most people won't be able to afford in a lifetime. I just think it sends the wrong message at the wrong time. Let them find out, slowly but surely and with supervision and encouragement, how difficult life can be but also how rewarding it also can be when you actually work to attain that which you want.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:11 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Who said anything about "all"? (Although I'd probably wager that more than half do).

At any rate, the insurance companies base their rates on actual claims experience. Perhaps you can explain why insurance rates for teens are sometimes 3-4 times what they are for a 40 year old.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:26 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Teens are statistically the worst drivers. Seniors arent much better.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, I must have been mistreated by my parents because I had to BUY my first car! No IS300 for me!
Old 02-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, no kidding...what happened to the days of buying whatever used POS was nearby. Case in point: my first car was a '72 Plymouth Duster (and I'm not even that old!). Had a great, bulletproof straight-6 in it (yeah, it was the granny duster). I got it off my boss' stepdaughter, cheap. You want a safe car, go with any of the old 70's 'Great American Land Yachts'. Chances are whatever you hit will be in a lot worse shape than you are.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Registered AssHat

When I was starting to drive (at 17) I borrowed my dad's 1990 Accord LX. Then he got a 1997 Accord LX (with sea-mist green interior...mmmm). When I went away to school, my dad was working from home so I was "loaned" a 1999 Accord. The TSX is the first vehicle that I bought (and is largely a Honda Accord).
Old 02-03-2004, 03:21 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by mtnkill
Yeah, no kidding...what happened to the days of buying whatever used POS was nearby.
Even back in the day, rich kids got nice cars. Things hav'nt changed all that much.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:59 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by fdl
Teens are statistically the worst drivers. Seniors arent much better.

My first car was a 1964 Rambler. It cost $180. I had to pay for it, along with the insurance. My wife, however, got a freebie.

It was a 1963 Plymouth Valiant.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Pro

What a joke. That article is embrassing to journalism in general, let alone the automotive press. To name a few blatant faux-pas:

- referring to Honda as "Honda Motor".
- presenting leasing as having cheaper payments without mentioning that unlike purchasing, there is no equity after the lease term.
- "inexpensive sports cars that are targeted at them, like Mitsubishi Motor's Lancer Evolution".
- not mentioning insurance costs and theft rates
- ignoring TCO factors like fuel economy, maintenance and depreciation.
- "Imprezza".
Old 02-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Advanced

I dont think this is 100% true. SOME teens would be more careful with their more expensive car, but MOST would take it for granted and figure 'hey if i wreck this one, mommy and daddy will buy me a new one'. I have paid for every car that I have owned. I get some help with insurance, but that is all. I put the down payment, I pay the monthly payment. I dont think a teenager needs a 30k car. That is just way to much and it asking for trouble. That's what I call SPOILED! Say what you want, but there is absolutely no reason why someone that young needs a car that expensive. A graduation from college gift, ok... but 17 or 18th birthday is just ridiculous....
Old 02-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by jdibella
I dont think this is 100% true. SOME teens would be more careful with their more expensive car, but MOST would take it for granted and figure 'hey if i wreck this one, mommy and daddy will buy me a new one'. I have paid for every car that I have owned. I get some help with insurance, but that is all. I put the down payment, I pay the monthly payment. I dont think a teenager needs a 30k car. That is just way to much and it asking for trouble. That's what I call SPOILED! Say what you want, but there is absolutely no reason why someone that young needs a car that expensive. A graduation from college gift, ok... but 17 or 18th birthday is just ridiculous....
Actually, I try not to get annoyed by parents buying their kids brand new 30k cars - hey, if I was in that situation, I'd take it without complaints and if I am that well-off when I have 16/17 yr old kids maybe I'll buy them a new car too (the safest one I can find). BUT I think it's total BS that those kids with brand new cars are respectful drivers who are driving safely to look out for those new rides. Maybe if they had to earn those cars... but I don't think many teens are skilled drivers anyway.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Cruisin'

most of you talk as if teens don't even deserve good cars. well off/rich kids will get new great rides and yea most people will either get freebies, be forced to pay for half, or pay for some part. beleive me, being a teen and in highschool kids don't think the way u think they do. if we get new expensive cars, we will take care of them. if it gets fucked up then its not nessecarilly the drivers fault or a result of uncaring for the car. \

gebbeth, i totally disagree with you. if a kids family is willing to buy hima new expensive car, then why can't we enjoy? yea it sucks if your parents can't buy youa car, but thats just the way things are. its sounds mean i know, but thats the way it always has been.

people act ignorant because they did not get some things in life, that gives you no right to judge a kid and then base what he gets on his/her accomplishments. if you were 17 and was offered a TSX for free by your parents, ur gonna tell me u wouldn't take it without a smile on your face?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

im 17 and my car is the TSX. I pay the car, and my parents pay for the insurance.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by CraZydudE
im 17 and my car is the TSX. I pay the car, and my parents pay for the insurance.
That's a fair deal.
a) it establishes a credit rating for you
b) you learn the responisibilty of owning a car
c) you ket a kick-ass ride and are probably getting more pussy than any of your friends
d) your parents are happy because you are driving a safe car and not some shitbox without abs and airbags.

In hindsight, I could have leased a BMW 540i for my first car if I didn't have to worry about insurance!
Old 02-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

its actually like this, my parents have alrdy purchased the car.(meaning they paid the 29,000+ all at once). I am basically paying them back, $500 per month.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:56 PM
No Longer a Poseur

If the kids of that age can afford to buy a car off that list, then fine...as long as *they* pay for it (or some similar arrangement) and not their parents.

Parents who buy cars for their kids, and take care of the insurance, gas, etc., I believe are only training their kids to be subservient in the future--to be dependent on some third party for their livelihood. For some of the very lucky and very few, this may work out....but isn't the purpose of parenting to train your offspring to survive on *their own* in the world?

I'm strongly of the opinion, obviously, that if you want something, you should earn it--on your own. If you want it, but can't afford it, borrow money and pay it back.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:04 PM
04 remembrance

who cares if teenagers are given 25k~35k cars.

--back to the original topic, i think the civic coupe is downright the most practical/economical car for teenagers.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Hi. I never posted anything on this website because i don't own a TSX, i don't own any car for that matter. I'm 15, and i just like Acura TSX/TL, but i'm not getting one. Although, i want to post this. You tend to remember bad things and not good things, i think that most of you guys judge teenagers by a few examples that you have met in your life. Like irresponsible slackers and "rich" kids(spoiled). I'm neither of those, believe it or not. Not all teenagers are going to drive bad, get into accidents, race, drink/smoke and drive. It is just too bad that those people mislead you to believe that most teens are like that. Yes, we do not have the same driving expirience. But what does expirience give you? You can handle extreme situations better and drive better in general. But you also know how to break the law better on the road (that's not pointing out that you do). You must admit, you speeded sometimes on a familiar road because you knew there was no radar and cops were not usually there. You MIGHT have crossed a yellow, turning to red light, when you were sure there was no camera. Of coarse, i agree that you have to earn your way (your car), but when i read this i had a feeling that you thought that teens were careless, stupid drivers.
O btw, if my parents would buy me a brand new TSX/TL i'd take it hands down.
But the list...only civic is an affordable ride for MOST teens.
Have a nice day.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:08 AM
heywood j. ablowme

hmm.. so there are about 3, 4 teens on this forum. haha. what i meant by older drivers is drivers 40-ish and up. here's what happened to a friend of mine - she was rear ended by some 40ish lady, at night. until the police arrived, the lady was very friendly and apologetic. but once the police arrived, she pulled a 180, claiming it was my friend's fault for driving without lights/brake light broken, etc. at the time, the entire rear was crushed in, so she couldn't prove her lights were fine/turned on.

so my friend got a ticket. she fought the ticket and won, but my point is, it's unfair.

sorry for going o/t. like someone said, base jetta/golf/GTI would make a nice affordable first car. fun, too.

all i know is, no one i know would go buy a Scion xA/xB.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:11 AM
has been here awhile

Oh yeah...go Xterra! :phatyo: I'd definitely agree. I find that it is perfect for the teen's needs. It's got plenty of room, is "in-style", and is a lot of fun to drive. It handles really well in the snow too, which is an important factor for many. Gas mileage sucks, but other than that, I'd say it's great. It just fits
Old 02-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally posted by Triger
[B] I'm 15[B]
i bet most of the population here is between 20-30, they weren't teenagers that long ago. I'm 22, 4 years out of high school, I used to think the same way you did. I thought my parents didn't know jack...

turns out they were right, on most everything. its normal to reject everyone's opinion, but in the end its still true. not everyone will wreck their car of course, i've never been the driver in an accident. I have been in multiple ones caused by my friends.

once you and your friends start driving, you'll see what happens. and then when you're 20 something you'll look back and laugh.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Evil Empire Peon

My parents refused to buy any car for my sister or I. They felt that if we couldn't pay for the car, we didn't deserve one.

So for my entire high-school and university career, it was either the bus, walking or bumming a ride from my friends.

My sister didn't get a car until she graduated, and I didn't get a car until I saved up enough money to buy the TSX outright.

And while I agree with some of the responses here, I grew up in the Vancouver, Canada area, where there were too many street racers with cars bought by their parents.

I remember reading about a person who was 2 days past 21 and died when he raced with an Accord he got as a birthday present.

So I think it really depends on the teenager's upbringing and the area they live in. The combination of the two could bring about very safe drivers or very dangerous ones.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by xizor
i bet most of the population here is between 20-30, they weren't teenagers that long ago. I'm 22, 4 years out of high school, I used to think the same way you did. I thought my parents didn't know jack...

turns out they were right, on most everything. its normal to reject everyone's opinion, but in the end its still true. not everyone will wreck their car of course, i've never been the driver in an accident. I have been in multiple ones caused by my friends.

once you and your friends start driving, you'll see what happens. and then when you're 20 something you'll look back and laugh.
Right on. Of course most teens will not go out and wreck their cars, be they 76 Olds or 2004 BMWs... but more of them will wreck them than 25 year olds would. It's cliche to say and something I hated hearing when I was a teen, but youth does not substitute for experience.

I'm done sounding old for the day
Old 02-04-2004, 09:00 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by iamhomin
who cares if teenagers are given 25k~35k cars.

--back to the original topic, i think the civic coupe is downright the most practical/economical car for teenagers.
I just checked Consumer Reports crash safety ratings, and in the small car category here is how they are ranked (best to worst):

VW Golf
Honda Civic Ex
VW Jetta
Mini Cooper
VW New Beetle

Toyota Corolla
Ford Focus
Mitsu Lancer
Nissan Sentra

Dodge Neon
Hyundai Elantra

Chevy Cavalier

(The breaks are between those rated Excellent, Very Good, Good, and Fair/Poor)
Old 02-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally posted by rb1
IVW New Beetle
Man, just when I thought VW killed the Beetle, there's a "New Beetle" out.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:07 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by xizor
Man, just when I thought VW killed the Beetle, there's a "New Beetle" out.
The "New Beetle" is the front engine, water-cooled model based on the GTI platform that has been sold in the U.S. since 1999.5, as opposed to the older, rear-engine, air-cooled model. There really isn't a "new" one at this point in time.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:30 AM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally posted by rb1
The "New Beetle" is the front engine, water-cooled model based on the GTI platform that has been sold in the U.S. since 1999.5, as opposed to the older, rear-engine, air-cooled model. There really isn't a "new" one at this point in time.

Have they not *also* discontinued the front engine one?

Kinda weird, since they just released the Cabriolet version. I guess everyone who buys one of those will have a "super limited edition".

Quick Reply: Top 10 cars for teens