Test driving TSX and TL.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test driving TSX and TL.

I am planning on getting a new car sometime within the next half year or so to replace my old dying Nissan Sentra 1993 with 156,000 miles. It does 0 to 60mph in 3 years. I have my heart set on the TSX and the TL but my budget is more capable of the TSX at this point..I am only 24. A co-worker of mine got a loaner 04 TL while his 01 CL was being repaired.. I got to finally ride in it and wow was I impressed. I didn't get a chance to drive it though. I've been reading so much about the TSX that is has almost become a religion. I want to test drive it and hopefully I won't be disappointed.

I was just wondering what the protocol was for test driving cars. I've never done it..I mean do I just go to the dealer and ask them I want to test drive the cars or is it a more complicated process. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
I mean do I just go to the dealer and ask them I want to test drive the cars ...
Yep, its that simple.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:56 PM

I am planning on getting a new car sometime within the next half year or so to replace my old dying Nissan Sentra 1993 with 156,000 miles. It does 0 to 60mph in 3 years. I have my heart set on the TSX and the TL but my budget is more capable of the TSX at this point..I am only 24. A co-worker of mine got a loaner 04 TL while his 01 CL was being repaired.. I got to finally ride in it and wow was I impressed. I didn't get a chance to drive it though. I've been reading so much about the TSX that is has almost become a religion. I want to test drive it and hopefully I won't be disappointed.

I was just wondering what the protocol was for test driving cars. I've never done it..I mean do I just go to the dealer and ask them I want to test drive the cars or is it a more complicated process. Thanks.
SInce you are young, I would recommend dressing up with slacks and a polo. Hell borderline a suit. Young people are automatically damn near dismissed many times.

It's like a date basically. Yeah it shouldn't be like that but what can you do. Also do some research so you know the salesman ain't dicking you over. Move seats around, how comfortable do you feel. What are maintenace costs. Fuel costs. R U into modding and are mods available.
Reading car forums like here is your best bet. Tons of invaluable info.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
Bring your drivers license. Where in NJ are you looking to shop?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
SInce you are young, I would recommend dressing up with slacks and a polo. Hell borderline a suit. Young people are automatically damn near dismissed many times.

I hated having to try to impress people. In the long run though, it will help you get a better deal. Looks/appearance do matter in this case, IMO.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my heart set on the TSX and the TL but my budget is more capable of the TSX at this point..I am only 24.
I agree with what everyone said. Just be confident, act normal, and you'll be fine. It's not like you're stealing anything. You want to buy a car. Relax, have fun, enjoy the car, and try not to do any burnouts.

P.S. I can tell you right now you should buy the TSX. Forget about the TL at this point in your life, you don't need it. Save for a house. If you have a house, save for a kid. If you don't want kids, save for a bigger house. If you don't want a nicer house, save it for travel. If you don't like to travel, get the TL.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
I agree with what everyone said. Just be confident, act normal, and you'll be fine. It's not like you're stealing anything. You want to buy a car. Relax, have fun, enjoy the car, and try not to do any burnouts.

P.S. I can tell you right now you should buy the TSX. Forget about the TL at this point in your life, you don't need it. Save for a house. If you have a house, save for a kid. If you don't want kids, save for a bigger house. If you don't want a nicer house, save it for travel. If you don't like to travel, get the TL.
I agree.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
There's no law saying you have to buy it once you test drive it. I know because it always feel like the dealer is forcing you after you've test driven things, but if it's a good dealer, he should be backing off after you politely decline any further paperwork. Don't fall for that "we can't give you a test drive" BS that some dealershops may try...that's why they have demo versions available.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Pro

Thanks for the advice guys. I live in Hoboken, and I was planning on going to Springfield Acura on route 22. I fell in love with the TSX at first sight and I've been reading these boards non stop. I just hope the car drives as good as it looks...but i'm sure it will.

By the way.. I'm interested in the cg/ebony with navi =)
Old 09-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Everyday Joe

I have to agree as well. I got the TSX instead of a TL b/c I felt that I should be driving a TL type of car in my mid-late 30's not in late 20's early 30's. Use your money to get some other fun stuff!
Old 09-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

It does 0 to 60mph in 3 years.
LOL
LMAO
OH SHIT THAT IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE HEARD ALL DAY I SWEAR TO YOU. OH MY GOODNESS.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Tuxedo Cat

It does 0 to 60mph in 3 years.
There are roads in NJ where you can get up to 60mph??? OK, maybe the turnpike at 3am.

Not that LA's any better.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nore_03
LOL
LMAO
OH SHIT THAT IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE HEARD ALL DAY I SWEAR TO YOU. OH MY GOODNESS.
Okkaayyy...

Please leave the caps off when you're posting. When you have the cas on, it's like you're shouting. Stop it, it hurts my eyes!
Old 09-03-2004, 04:18 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I live in Hoboken, and I was planning on going to Springfield Acura on route 22. I fell in love with the TSX at first sight and I've been reading these boards non stop. I just hope the car drives as good as it looks...but i'm sure it will.

If you can live without the enhancements of the 05 model and they have an 04 on the lot you want this would be a good time to get a deal on one. Otherwise wait for the 05 rush to die down and on a late January day you migth get a real good deal on an 05.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

LMAO!!! But Jason's right. If your budget fits the TSX, and you'd be straining it to buy the TL, then get the TSX, you won't go wrong. It's a fun ride.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:22 AM
ric
Safety Car

Doing the advance research will prep you for the experience, but you're still entitled to drive the car. In order for you to not be disappointed, you need to run the car through its traces which will include a mix of city and highway driving. I think the TSX shows its stripes when you can toss it around a bit, and you have to have the dealer let you do that - they generally have a predetermined route near the dealership that they use; make sure you know the roads around the dealership and can "alter" your drive to suit your own learning curve - even plan your own route before you go in. Once you're at the wheel, they won't wrench it back. Keep in mind that with the reading you have done, you probably know more about the car than the sales rep does; I found that to be the case when I went in for my test drives. (My sales rep was convinced that the seats in the TSX and the TL were exactly the same; they are clearly not...........)

A lot of the advice on this thread is great - it is like going on a date, so dress for the occcassion - not the time for the torn bluejeans or the teeshirt with the four-letter slogans on it. Much as you might like to take your best bud or your girlfriend or wife, stick to business, and if the car is your decision alone, go solo - taking folks along smacks of "joyriding" and dealers get suspicious. Keep in mind that your 24-year old money is as good as anyone else's, and a car deal is a car deal; if you walk in purposefully, with your knowledge of the car, you should be able to strike a serious note and be taken seriously. . Keep in mind that you know a lot about the car, and don't waste time with the sales rep on sales chatter. And as for being "only 24"...... it's a great age, enjoy it!

as for the TSX vs the TL, that issue is covered on a lot of other threads that you can ressurect via the search mode on this site; I chose the TSX over the TL because it is a hell of a lot more fun to drive; for me, the money wasn't the issue. If you are into the TSX's "fun" quotient, the TL will be too conservative, but you can certainly test drive both (that is what convinced me to get the TSX) . The additional money yo spend will be for things that are not worth it. If you have the spare money, get the TSX and go for the aftermarket "stuff"..... or put the money elsewhere in your life - not a time to be carpoor......... No minor consideration if you're on a tight budget is that the TSX is slightly more thrifty with gas - that can add up to a few buck quickly.

Read the postings on the differences betwen the 04 and 05; if you can live with the 04, you may get a good end-of-year deal as the dealerships clear the lots for the new models. That approach works if you expect to keep the car for enough years to amortize the depreciation that you will get the minute you drive it off the lot.

as for driving over 60 in NJ - apparently that poster has never been on the GSP; I routinely cruise at 85, selectively, when I am traveling through Jersey on business.

I ended up with the CGP; it looks crisp and hides dirt well. I didn't get the navi, will wait a few more years for the pricing to come down on that gadget. Bcause mine is a company car, I had to get the 5at, but it is the smoothest transmission I've ever experienced. For whatever it's worth, I've racked up close to 4000 miles since July 1, and the car continues to be a pleasure and a delight to drive - sweet highway cruiser, fun to toss around on curvy roads and easy to navigate in the city. The interior is comfortable for long hauls - only gripe I have is the sound from concrete road surfaces, but I just turn the sterio up......

The real acid test for my car - the errand clerks in my office has voted my car the most fun to drive, and opt to use it in preference to the other choices, which includes, among my partners, a BMW 3-series, an Audi A6 and a G35............
Old 09-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Originally Posted by ric
The real acid test for my car - the errand clerks in my office has voted my car the most fun to drive, and opt to use it in preference to the other choices, which includes, among my partners, a BMW 3-series, an Audi A6 and a G35............
Because they all have slushboxes. As great a car as it it is, I'd venture to guess many folks would pick a 6MT G35 in 05 trim (an interior a bit closer to the TSX and 298HP!!!)
Old 09-04-2004, 07:52 AM
ric
Safety Car

If you haven't already read it, the thread http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14338 has a link to the C & D article.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:58 AM
04 remembrance

Hoboken! You must hit the bars quite often.

I live near Fort Lee, but bought the car at Acura of Manhattan. You should definitely check that place out (they're very friendly).
Old 09-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Agreed... I am 19... at first when I would go to drive the cars, they laughed me out of the dealers... but after i dressed up, they treated me decently...now i just walk in jean shorts and any old shirt... but that is because all the dealers here know me now.. hell the BMW dealer let me drive the 545i, infiniti (i just bought the pos fx35...hopefully i can win lemon law case, and ill prob get the TL if i win)... but in the end, if you dress and ask a ton of questions... they will treat you right... if they treat you like you are 2 young to buy the car, go to the manager and say hey, you just lost my 30 thousand dollars, im going to the acura dealer at so and so unless you satisfy me now... hell thats what i did when i was in the market for a new car, i wnet to drive the c240 at the benz dealer down the street, he looked me in the eyes and said " you cant afford our cars" and i said, ok, went to the manager and said this is rude disrespectful, i doesnt matter my age or race, and your sales rep took 20 minutes of me walking aroudn the showroom before he approached me, and then said i cant afford your cars... im taking my 50 thousand dollar check thats in my back pocket to the bmw dealer down the street... he tried to appologize...but it was simply rude and outrageous......

its easier just to dress nicely and make it sound like you really are interested, but make sure you dont sound like you absolutely MUST have the car...because they will not bargain on the price as much... they will say, oh well his heart is set on it, hes going to get it no matter what, might as well get a few more bucks outa this guy.

just make it sound like you are researching, but ask a lot of questions... you will get far that way :-D GOOD LUCK!

btw, the TSX is AWESOME
Old 09-04-2004, 03:32 PM
6th Gear

hey, make sure u get a good deal...we just got a TSX for 25,200 plus ttl...make sure u know ur gettin a good deal... The invoice price on the automatic w/out navi is $24692...sit there for a couple of hours if you have to but make sure you get the price you want...I love the car, it's amazing...only had it for 1.5 weeks, but so far it's great!!! you cant go wrong
Old 09-04-2004, 09:37 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If you can travel a bit, I highly recommend Metro Acura in Philly...Allie was my saleswoman there, treated me really well, and I got my 5AT/Nav for $25k "cash" (3rd party loan) plus $4500 for my trade in...Effectively, I got about $1300 off once you figure TTL, etc.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:18 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,921 Likes on 2,618 Posts
I highly recommend you go with someone to dealer...like your friend with the CL.

Salesmen will smell your green blood and try and squeeze you. It will be good to have someone their who can "slow" down the process and let you breath and catch your bearings, and hopefully not be taken for a ride.

Also, do not SHOW your love for the car.....they will just rail you harder.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro

Thanks guys for all the help and advice. I will definitely take them into consideration. I am most likely going to purchase the car sometime in February 2005 at the earliest....so i'll most likely go for an '05 with rear spoiler. Here's a question... Would a 05 TSX with navi and spoiler cost just as much as a 04 TL? thanks.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Boy Genius

Thanks guys for all the help and advice. I will definitely take them into consideration. I am most likely going to purchase the car sometime in February 2005 at the earliest....so i'll most likely go for an '05 with rear spoiler. Here's a question... Would a 05 TSX with navi and spoiler cost just as much as a 04 TL? thanks.
There's no way the 05 TSX with navi and spoiler should come anywhere close to a 04 TL. I think the 05 TSX prices will be slightly higher than the 04s, so you should be fairly safe if you use the 04 prices to estimate. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Advanced

When I drove the TL I set up a test drive online. When I got there they gave me the keys and said have fun. I am 30 but I look young. What is funny is I had a a dodgel dealer not let me drive a SRT4. Go figure.