Taking back deposit or getting better price?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004 | 01:10 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Taking back deposit or getting better price?

as you all know from my sig, i am supposed to get my CG/QZ/Nav soon. When i first negotiated the deal, ($27, 600 + tax and fees) paying cash( if this matters) I was told that delivery was mid march (Said 15 - 17th). I ordered 1/27/04.

I just got an email from the dealer and he is saying the car iwas built 2/16 and delivery is going to be 6 weeks; which puts me into the beginning April. I was wondering if it was possible to negotiate a new price, or take back my deposit because he is not delivering when promised. I want him to maybe throw in the fogs for free or free oil changes. Can I get my deposit back now, or do I have to wait for the deivery date to actually pass before I can do this.

I live in NYC, and bought the car in Long Island. I know people lately seem to be getting better deals than I did. All I got for free were wheel locks and all season mats. I only bought from this dealer because its on my way to work, as opposed to another dealer with a shorter wait and higher price that is out of my way and included free oil changes for life of warranty if you follow their maintenance schedule. ($350 more)

Geez: when i bought my other cars, it was so much easier than this. Even with the mini being so hot last summer!

Can someone give me some feedback?
Old 02-20-2004 | 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Do you have a VIN?
Old 02-20-2004 | 07:10 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Nope, no VIN.

I was told that it wasn't assigned until it gets to the States
Old 02-21-2004 | 05:14 AM
Advanced

I would not start the process again unless you can get an incredible deal elsewhere. I waited 3 months for the same combo and we are really happy with our TSX. Well worth the wait. Might try to get the dealer to throw in some goodies!
Old 02-21-2004 | 03:20 PM
3rd Gear

I think you can get your deposit back, but it is depending on a few things. Either way, I think you need to wait for the original promised date to pass before you can do anything. If you really don't want to wait, you may want to check with a lawyer for the laws that apply to this situation in your state.
If you signed a contract, you'll definitely need to wait for the original date promised for delivery to pass before you can ask for your deposit back. If it was a deposit of good faith, you should still let the dealer know that if the car is not delivered on the promised due date that they are breaking the original agreement terms and you could then opt to take your business elsewhere unless they do something in consideration of the inconvenience.
If you made the deposit with a credit card, getting your money back will be much easier than if you gave them cash or a check. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2004 | 09:25 PM
1st Gear

ooops

Looks like you're getting shafted. Shop the deal around, and if you get a better deal from a competing dealer, be ready to pull the pin quick on your current dealer. Don't let your emotions get in the way of a good negotiation.
Old 02-27-2004 | 09:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

next i'm going to hear that you put over 1k down on the deposit? when $100.00 would have been fine. it's not like they are having problems selling it... so even if you reneged your contract to buy, they could sell the car to somebody else.
Old 02-27-2004 | 11:46 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by yuhoo22
Nope, no VIN.

I was told that it wasn't assigned until it gets to the States
Can someone verify if this is true.

It would seem to me that the car would get the VIN when it rolls off the assembly line. I think the dealer is playing games. If you have a build date then you should have a VIN as well.

I wouldn't put it past a shady dealer to sell "your" car to someone else who was willing to pay more and then simply slip your delivery schedule. This can't be done once they identify "your" car with a VIN.

Hope it works out for you.