RX-8 Owner's TSX impression & questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005 | 03:52 PM
RX8
Intermediate

RX-8 Owner's TSX impression & questions

Hi folks,

I am currently an RX-8 owner. I've been shopping for a replacement vehicle, mainly because I'm not convinced that the long-term reliability of the RX-8 will be very good.

Let me start with some background so you can get my perspective. I LOVE the RX-8's handling and looks. Its handling is just stellar. I can't imagine another car seriously beating it in that regard. I previously owned a Mustang GT, and I didn't realize what I was missing until I drove the '8. The '8's engine is a lot of fun, too, but it's nothing like the Mustang. Don't let the torque & HP numbers fool you: the RX-8 has guts. It is amazing how fast you can get into triple digit MPH numbers when you're shifting that rotary engine at 9000 RPM (it feels like the engine could do 10K RPM without a hitch). (From my test drives of the TSX, I think most TSX drivers would quite like the RX-8's engine.) I do miss the off-the-line push that the Mustang's 300 ft-lbs of torque gives you, but it's more than made up for by the handling.

So, I have some requirements for a new car:

1. Four doors
2. Manual transmission
3. Great handling
4. $30K or less
5. Top-notch reliability

I've driven the IS 300, TSX, TL, Legacy GT, 2006 325i, and even the Matrix XRS.

Unless someone wants to hear about them, I'll spare you the details of the other cars. Suffice it to say that the TSX has made my short list, but I have some concerns that I'd like to hear from you on. Coming from the RX-8 and it's 50/50 weight distribution, most cars (stock TSX included) do not handle as well. I drove the stock manual 2005 TSX and was underwhelmed by the tires & body roll.

How much of an improvement will sticky tires, the A-spec suspension (but not body) package, and the Comptech sway bar make to its handling? Can I take turns aggressively without the tires wailing in agony? I thought the poor tires were going to pop off the rims in one corner I took. To what extent can you compensate for this 60/40 weight distribution with suspension upgrades? Am I just asking too much of this chassis? I'm not a race-car driver, but I enjoy on-ramps and back roads now and then. Has anybody come from a sports car to the TSX or have both in their driveway for comparison?

BTW, the TL's engine was a lot of fun, but that torque steer was a real pain. And, it felt big and floaty over bumps. That wasn't a lot of fun.

What I'm trying to do is get as much of the RX-8's performance as possible into a 4-door sedan. Am I nuts?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Jeff
Old 07-18-2005 | 03:56 PM
My Garage

1. Four doors
2. Manual transmission
3. Great handling =TSX
4. $30K or less
5. Top-notch reliability
Old 07-18-2005 | 03:58 PM
Teh seX

drop it + rear sway bar + tires =
Old 07-18-2005 | 04:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Good post, and welcome to AZ!

I think the TSX chassis has a very good potential. You can see just what it can do in the Speed World Challenge races.

Now, you obviously aren't looking for a 100K racecar. But relatively minor suspension adjustments such as the comptech sway and another few suspension tricks will considerably reduce roll.

Upgrading the tires will also obviously give you good results. By all means, if you go that route, why don't you do just a little more and get yourself a nice set of lightweight rims. TSX rim/tire combo weigh 50lbs per corner.

But just then, you will have a really awesome handling car. One of the best among FWD cars.

You haven't even started to think of power mods. It's coming along.
Old 07-18-2005 | 04:04 PM
Faster, please.

Having never driven an RX8 for comparison, I'd say that the TSX would be up your alley. It meets all 5 of your requirements.
The tires on the car are good all-around tires but you need something else if you want better performance.
The swaybar gives a huge improvement in handling. I'd assume the suspension/swaybar/tire package you mention would get you to RX8 handling territory.
Old 07-18-2005 | 06:34 PM
Race Director

I love my TSX, but I'd wait and the get the new IS 250 or IS 350 this fall.
Old 07-18-2005 | 07:12 PM
Racer

mabye its just me and im 16 and don't notice the difference but is the tsx really that "Bad" in the handling aspect? I think it drives great! BTW i have Yokomoma Avid A4 tires
Old 07-18-2005 | 07:16 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by wclark
mabye its just me and im 16 and don't notice the difference but is the tsx really that "Bad" in the handling aspect? I think it drives great! BTW i have Yokomoma Avid A4 tires

the RX-8 is just really that good. The TSX is a fine handler especially considering its FWD
Old 07-18-2005 | 08:58 PM
RX8
Intermediate

Yeah, that's pretty much it: I fear I have been spoiled by the RX-8.

It's that "not bad for a FWD" thing that I keep worrying about

Regarding the IS250 and IS350, the 350 will be too pricey for me (yeah, I could buy it if I wanted to, but I feel odd spending more than $35K on a car). The IS250 looks to be underpowered for its weight, but it will hopefully handle well.

BTW, my local Lexus dealer said they just heard late last week that the IS250 will be "$30K" (jives with others' comments) but, and here's the shocker- they have learned the IS350 will cost $38K! Wow.

The current IS300 leaves something to be desired in the interior, and its fuel economy sucks (as does the RX-8's. Nothing is free!)

Jeff
Old 07-18-2005 | 09:06 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

TSX is an amazing handling car. With the addition of better tires (stock sucks, definately worth upgrading), and especially with the addidition of the COmptech Rear Sway Bar, you will have GREAT handling for a small price. Add the Eibach Pro Kit and some Koni adjustables, and you will be nearly on-par with the RX-8. *nearly, not quite -- I've driven the RX-8 and yes, you were spoiled*. The NSX and RX-8 would be about on-par with each other (edge: NSX). That is just how good the RX-8 handles.

As for a good car for your requirements, I'd be VERY VERY hard pressed to find a car under $30K with all the options that the TSX has, that is so good on gas, and handles so damn nicely (read: neutral once you add the RSB).

~Eric
Old 07-18-2005 | 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RX8
Yeah, that's pretty much it: I fear I have been spoiled by the RX-8.

It's that "not bad for a FWD" thing that I keep worrying about
Well, I just switched from a Prelude, and the Prelude is FWD and has better handling than the TSX. I used to have a 2nd Gen RX-7, and yes, the RWD RX-7 was "better", but not enough to bother me. Once I got some sticky tires on the Prelude (I couldn't believe the difference!), it was a whole 'nuther game. I wish I could have gone back and compared with the RX-7, because I could then toss the Prelude around corners much faster than before, at least as fast as I had the guts for. :-D

So, unless you're really going to push all limits, you can get a pretty good handling FWD, at least in theory, depending upon its design. You're not going to get quite as crazy as a RWD sports car, but what do you want? For the street, I don't think RWD is necessarily the end-all, except perhaps to drag race, which is a bad idea on the street anyway.

Now, how does the A-Spec package compare with the Prelude's handling? I don't know, but I think I'm going to find out. :-) I have read a few comments about it, but would like to hear more, especially comparisons with other cars.

Regarding the IS250 and IS350, the 350 will be too pricey for me (yeah, I could buy it if I wanted to, but I feel odd spending more than $35K on a car).
I feel the same way. I probably coulda handled a bit more, but then I'd be really paranoid about where to park it, and I'd probably still want to upgrade the stereo.... No, really, at some point sanity has to take over. :-) Putting a lot of money into a car is a bad investment. But, you want to spend enough to be happy driving....

The current IS300 leaves something to be desired in the interior, and its fuel economy sucks (as does the RX-8's. Nothing is free!)

Jeff
Fuel economy is worse on most sporty cars. I like the Honda/Acura emphasis on keeping an acceptable gas economy, as, let's face it, most of the time we're just driving around.
Old 07-18-2005 | 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmmm... I was choosing between the 3, RX8, TL, or TSX

Well... the RX8 was absolutely one of the best handling cars I've ever driven (and those suicide doors are bloody cool haha). Well TSX and RX8... There's plenty of things on the TSX I think you'd be really happy with. (which you've probably heard over and over again)

1. NAV system is one of the best in the market
2. Stock Sound system is pretty good
3. Great package out of the box
4. Fierce and Luxurious at the same time.
5. One of the best handling FWD cars right now
6. Honda reliability
7. Good Gas Mileage
8. I don't have the manual but from what I seen and heard the TSX's Manual Transmission is again... One of the best

Will the handling get better with upgrades (Tires and A-Spec especially)... Of course. I doubt it will reach RX8 Levels, but it would get pretty darn close. Just keep in mind RWD and the fact that the RX8 is in a different class of car.
Old 07-19-2005 | 12:06 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I haven't driven an RX-8 but if you want a four-door sedan that handles, runs smoothly and swiftly, and is built to last, from my research (and yes, I'm a biased owner) there's no better choice under $30k than the TSX. Actually there may be no better choice, given those criteria, period.
Old 07-19-2005 | 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I have a-spec suspension, ct sway and 18" TE37 with sumitomo htrzII on my 6sp tsx.
Yes, it handle and ride way better than stock and consider the side of TSX, its handling is excellent, it is pretty close to my E46 sp. But still not come close to RX8. Will ne1 ever try to compare handling between S2000 and TSX?
Old 07-19-2005 | 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

wait and get IS 250 if it's 30K
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

i am also getting rid of my 2001 mustang Gt for the tsx. cant wait!.

Anyone know how much i could get for the mustang, trade in value? its a 2001 mustang gt conv. 76000 and in fair condition.

Also just out of curiousity, what would be a good deal for a 05 non-navi 6mt tsx around northern NJ??
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:21 AM
the Blackura go-eth

TSX should be the winner in this debate

I had a similar dilema when I got the TSX. The RX-8 was one of the finalists for me, but got trumped by the wife.

The TSX offered the best bang for the buck of what I tested: TL, Lincoln LS, IS 300, 2004 325i Sport, G35 Coupe, Legacy GT, and RX-8.

It didn't have the best handling stock, or best acceleration, or even the best interior. But for reliability, Honda is tough to beat, and with the A-Spec suspension and beefed up wheels and tires, the handling is pretty much on par with the Bimmer, IS 300, and G35. It's no RX-8, but that car is a different breed. The car is already faster than the older 325, and while not as fast as the Legacy, the feedback in the handling dept blows it away. Not to mention the 6MT is about as smooth and slick as is available right now. I was underwhelmed by the stock handling, but the A-Spec is much more communicative and will definitely put a grin on your face on twisty back roads and the car will keep that gin on your face knowing it will be reliable for years to come.
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:28 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by jerzpwr
i am also getting rid of my 2001 mustang Gt for the tsx. cant wait!.

Anyone know how much i could get for the mustang, trade in value? its a 2001 mustang gt conv. 76000 and in fair condition.

Also just out of curiousity, what would be a good deal for a 05 non-navi 6mt tsx around northern NJ??
Holy batman!

Try asking your Mustang question in Car Talk: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/
There are a number of threads in the TSX discussion section about pricing. Try the top two stickied threads for more info.
Old 07-19-2005 | 12:05 PM
04 remembrance

Hyosung, try the search button.

As for the trade-in value, try reputable sites such as kbb, edmunds...etc.
Old 07-19-2005 | 12:08 PM
tsxy

I LOVE the RX-8.... I test drove it and almost bought that except I needed to get something a little more realistic. Something not RWD for crazy Chicago weather and then I drive an hour to work and that 15mpg city would kill me
Old 07-19-2005 | 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stphy32
I LOVE the RX-8.... I test drove it and almost bought that except I needed to get something a little more realistic. Something not RWD for crazy Chicago weather and then I drive an hour to work and that 15mpg city would kill me
A good set of winter tire is what you need to drive a well balanced RWD on winter.
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd also check out the G35 Sedan.
The only thing most don't agree about is looks, but since the '05 update, it looks sportier and more like the Coupe.
RWD makes it a great handler and has more power than the cars you've listed.

Also check out the STi or Evo if you trust Mitsu reliability.
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aznt1217
Hmmm... I was choosing between the 3, RX8, TL, or TSX

Well... the RX8 was absolutely one of the best handling cars I've ever driven (and those suicide doors are bloody cool haha). Well TSX and RX8... There's plenty of things on the TSX I think you'd be really happy with. (which you've probably heard over and over again)

1. NAV system is one of the best in the market
2. Stock Sound system is pretty good
3. Great package out of the box
4. Fierce and Luxurious at the same time.
5. One of the best handling FWD cars right now
6. Honda reliability
7. Good Gas Mileage
8. I don't have the manual but from what I seen and heard the TSX's Manual Transmission is again... One of the best

Will the handling get better with upgrades (Tires and A-Spec especially)... Of course. I doubt it will reach RX8 Levels, but it would get pretty darn close. Just keep in mind RWD and the fact that the RX8 is in a different class of car.
I'm sorry, how does one "see" how good a manual transmission is.
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by psteng19
When you see it's magnesium casing you know it means business.
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:55 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by psteng19
I'd also check out the G35 Sedan.
The only thing most don't agree about is looks, but since the '05 update, it looks sportier and more like the Coupe.
RWD makes it a great handler and has more power than the cars you've listed.

Also check out the STi or Evo if you trust Mitsu reliability.
The sedan had an 05 update?
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

My friend has a 6 Speed TSX, he showed me how just a tiny little flick would shift the car into each gear and compared it to his bro's new 3 series 6 spd.
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

My friend has a 6 Speed TSX, he showed me how just a tiny little flick would shift the car into each gear and compared it to his bro's new 3 series 6 spd.
Everytime I complaint how I hate the manual trans on my E46 on bimmer forums, those cheer leader will say "it is soul of BMW"!
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:19 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by ianS
Everytime I complaint how I hate the manual trans on my E46 on bimmer forums, those cheer leader will say "it is soul of BMW"!
LOL that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!
Old 07-19-2005 | 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are you for real?
Old 07-19-2005 | 05:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Motohip
The sedan had an 05 update?
I think it got a hp bump (5 ft-lbs less torque though), revised front bumper, new tail lights, new rims and new interior (real aluminum this time).