OMG I finally got it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005 | 09:01 AM
Instructor

Talking OMG I finally got it!

So after six months of ownership and a very steep learning curve on getting shifting, double clutching and heel-toe just right… this morning I stumbled upon “the zone”. That’s right, I finally had a flawless jaunt in the car on the way to work! No bucking - slight or otherwise, no resistance or forced feeling from the shifter, no missed shifts. Yeah yeah, I know double clutching isn’t necessary but for some reason I just don’t sit well with “blipping” with the clutch still in. It’s actually easier for me to double clutch than just to rev match. Maybe because I forced myself to learn to do it that way, plus it’s just cool.

Oh man, smooth downshift after buttery smooth downshift… my pants got tight. I was so in the zone it was like the car and I were one (cliché i know, but so true). It was like it knew what I wanted to do at every instance. And it was all automatic. Didn’t even think about what I needed to do. I just did and the car responded. I was taking 90 turns and highway on ramps like a rally sport pro! Even when a jackass Yukon pulled out in front of me, instant crazy smooth downshift (double clutched, rev matched, no bucking or hint of hesitation, just instant go), 5 to 3 and shot the gap between the slowly accelerating SUV and the car in the left lane (but didn’t “cut off” the car). Went on my way merging back into the right lane while I saw the line of traffic behind me get caught behind the two slow pokes.

It was so awesome.

I kid you not, I danced a little jig when I got out in the parking lot. I’m sure my co-workers thought I had lost it. And I swear, if she could, my SSM lady would have danced with me.

Oh man, I love my car. I love driving my car like it should be driven. And I think it loves me too. So this is why people love driving stick. More days like this please.
Old 07-08-2005 | 09:11 AM
Team Owner

Old 07-08-2005 | 09:18 AM
Drifting

damn...

you danced a little jig???

you DO love your car...
Old 07-08-2005 | 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
damn...

you danced a little jig???

you DO love your car...
Old 07-08-2005 | 09:32 AM
Thriller

Manual

I wish NYC traffic isn't what it is so I could tool around with the manual, so jealous. I had an old Subaru Impreza stick shift and it was great fun to drive.

Unless I move, it'll be auto for me.
Old 07-08-2005 | 09:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moodytsx
I wish NYC traffic isn't what it is so I could tool around with the manual, so jealous. I had an old Subaru Impreza stick shift and it was great fun to drive.

Unless I move, it'll be auto for me.
shame. Is NYC really worth it? I
Old 07-08-2005 | 09:40 AM
Photography Nerd

Congrats, but you still have to rev match when double clutching so I don't see how it's any easier than just revving with the clutch in.
Old 07-08-2005 | 09:54 AM
Thriller

Nyc

Originally Posted by sergeremi
shame. Is NYC really worth it? I
I think so, of course I grew up here. But owning a car, especially a new car is torture.

Parallel parking = sucks
Meter Parking = sucks
Alternate-side street parking = sucks
Pot holes = pretty much on all roads, enough to jar your suspension to pieces and bend your rims
Congestion = almost always
Aggressive drivers = count me as one, otherwise you won't get anywhere
Highway driving = very few stretches that you can open it up because too many drivers.
Traffic cameras = snags you going thru on a red light = $$
Pedestrians = will walk in red, yellow or green ... here you must be aggressive driver
Road work = endless
Is that enough??

I still love it here though...it is one of the greatest cities if not the greatest. You just shouldn't own a car here that's all.