Not starting a car for a while?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not starting a car for a while?

Hei there. I have a question about the car. I will be leaving oversea for a while, and I have to leave my TSX in a private garage for about a month. Does anyone know whether I should unplug the battery or should I just leave it that way? I heard that if you don't unplug the battery, it will be drained out, and you might not be able to start the car later on. And if I unplug the battery, the engine/electronic part might be damaged. I am really confused! And I have to keep my car in a Private auto storage garage in seattle for a while. I really need advice from someone who knows about this. Thank you.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I've never done this so i'll let some other people chime in -- I know there are some things you should do with yoru tire pressure among other things. As far as the batter goes you will not hurt anything but unplugging it..which is a good idea. All electrical systems have a constant low level draw to them due to internal resistance in the battery, imperfect lines etc. I'm sure that enegy usages is minimal but given enough time it could kill your battery.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I doubt that the electronics will drain your battery if you are away for only a month. If you are fussy, have someone trustworthy start the car and run it around the block once during this period.
I don't recommend you disconnect that battery; remember the security alarm needs the battery connected to function.

For a 2-3 month absence it might be worthwhile to have an oil change shortly before leaving and arrange to have the engine started a couple of times and maybe a trickle charger left on overnight once.

If you disconnect the battery, you will have to reset the radio and clock and the engine may have to go through a short learning cycle before optimal performance is attained (you won't notice anything here). Definately no damage to the car with a disconnected battery.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Thank you for your advice guys. My dad actually called his merz dealer and they told us NEVER to Disconnect the battery because it will disable the alarm, and it will cause the engine to "slow down" as computer has to relearn its function again. But how long the acura battery can last?
Old 07-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by w_piti
Thank you for your advice guys. My dad actually called his merz dealer and they told us NEVER to Disconnect the battery because it will disable the alarm, and it will cause the engine to "slow down" as computer has to relearn its function again. But how long the acura battery can last?
If you are concerned with the battery running dead, think about buying a good trickle charger that will cut out when the battery is fully charged and leave this connected. There is no way that a battery in good condition should go dead if a car is parked for only a month.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok... a month will not kill the battery... so no worries there.

your tires on the other hand can develope a flat spot. if you can get your car up on stands (1 per corner, and make sure you are using the reinforced area as documented in owner's manual) then do so... come to think of it, there should be a section on long term storage in your user manual.

in colder period you should have your tank filled with gas, i would do the same in warmer climate as well.

buy a dust cover... and use it...

whatever you do... don't wash car and then park car after for storage... there is water in the vents of the brake rotors that will rust. drive the car around a little to make sure all water has left the car.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Advanced

Thank you DEVO. That helps a lot. I will go to read my manual first then I will post some questions if I have. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Cruisin'

DEVO: Would over-inflating your tires for storage help decrease the chance of a flat-spot occurring? Could this be the reason why so many people, myself included, received their cars from the dealership with tire pressures higher than the recommended level?

-snap-
Old 07-11-2003, 10:21 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

With todays radial technology flat spotting isn't even an issue. I store my Accord in the garage all winter. It sets for 4 or 6 months. No issues other then some of the hoses tend to dry out from time to time. I have a winter storage issue with my upper radiator hose. So I will replace it this fall or next spring but, beside the point.

One month? You have nothing to fear it will be ok. Think about it sometimes cars set for months on dealer lots.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:54 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I found this article on Google after doing a search for "storing a car for a month"...

http://popularmechanics.com/automoti...ring_your_car/
Old 07-12-2003, 01:08 AM
Pro

It's only for a month. I really wouldn't worry too much. Just put the car in the garage. Make sure all the water is gone. And leave it. I seriously doubt anything bad will happen to the car in one month. Look out for spiders when you first get into the car though, lol.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by snap
DEVO: Would over-inflating your tires for storage help decrease the chance of a flat-spot occurring? Could this be the reason why so many people, myself included, received their cars from the dealership with tire pressures higher than the recommended level?

-snap-
I don't know if that works or if that's the reason why some people have received there cars that way. I tend to doubt that is the solution for transport from factory. I think there was QA problem IMO.

Anyway if you can't lift the car up onto jacks there are tire cradles that you can use that will disperse the weight on a greater percentage of the wheel then just on one spot. And yes you can flat spot a tire, happens more in the winter time where the surface is real cold.

So, no I wouldn't over inflate tires. I would look at jacks or tire cradles.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
For a month, don't worry about it. I've seen new cars sit far longer than that. You should have no worries.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:22 AM
Advanced

Thank you for all the advices guys!! That has been a great help. I was confused because I read the stupid manual book and it said that I should unplug the battery, BUT when I call the Acura customer service, they told me that DO NOT disconnect the battery. I think we cannot trust the manual totally can we? And I also called the michelin ( did i spell it right? ) about the tire pressure, they said that "do not worry about it.. as long as it's not more than 2 months".