No RDS ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:43 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No RDS ???

Am I missing something here or is there no RDS (Radio Data System) standard on the TSX ??

It seems like a premium radio would certainly come with it.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
no RDS. There's been a few threads on this topic recently. It's one of the few little luxury features the TSX doesn't have...a fair trade-off for all the other neat features we get at $30k.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Yes but still a bit lame, since the radio already has the capability to display text.

I don't want to get into a flame war, but I drove a Pontiac G6 as a rental last month. By no means am I putting it in the same category as a TSX (or any Acura). But it's radio has RDS, doors that lock and unlock automatically when moving into and out of park, automatic headlights when it gets dark, every light (interior and exterior) (including reverse) come on when you unlock the doors, and a factory remote starter is only $150 extra (and the rest of the buttons on the remote still work).

Sometimes you wonder if they can go on a car of this calibur, why can't most upscale cars have them. Even if Acura designers really don't like some of these options, they can always install them (actual cost probably very little) and then allow those who wish to reconfigure if not disable them thru the onboard setup.

Jeff
Old 05-01-2006, 03:40 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jwhite4
Yes but still a bit lame, since the radio already has the capability to display text.

I don't want to get into a flame war, but I drove a Pontiac G6 as a rental last month. By no means am I putting it in the same category as a TSX (or any Acura). But it's radio has RDS, doors that lock and unlock automatically when moving into and out of park, automatic headlights when it gets dark, every light (interior and exterior) (including reverse) come on when you unlock the doors, and a factory remote starter is only $150 extra (and the rest of the buttons on the remote still work).

Sometimes you wonder if they can go on a car of this calibur, why can't most upscale cars have them. Even if Acura designers really don't like some of these options, they can always install them (actual cost probably very little) and then allow those who wish to reconfigure if not disable them thru the onboard setup.

Jeff
Co-worker showed me his new G6 (2 door) this morning purchased last week....yup showed me those features on his G6. I showed mine - 2006 TSX (still have the temp tags) features like Navi, voice command, multi-information display, memory seats and especially this one remotely opening up all the window with my key fob....his jaw drop and he was drooling all over
Well I can live without the freakin' RDS........my Xterra has it anyway
!!!

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Jeff
I wish Acura add all those neat features too...but it will only increase the cost of the TSX. And if they add all those features to the TSX, they have to add them to the TL, and also to the RL. Plus they need to think of new/cool things to add to the TL that's not in the TSX and newer/cooler things to add to the RL that's not in the TL or the TSX. So....my point is that we can't have everything in our car unless we want to fork over the money for it. Lexus and BMW has alot of cool features and gadgets but they also cost a few thousand more......

And I get your point that it sucks to see cheaper cars have features the TSX doesn't have.....
Old 05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXmeister
especially this one remotely opening up all the window with my key fob....his jaw drop and he was drooling all over
!!!

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I absolutly LOVE that feature, particulary living in Florida. The lack of RDS or mp3 playback on the cd system is a bummer (and something I really doubt would increase the cost THAT much), but what can you really do?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Instructor

I think there are a couple of issues:

1. It's not the accesories and feature per say, but rather where it appears along the priceline. BMW's and Mercedes do have some nice features (power rear shade, vents at the top of the seats (Mercedes convertibles), but coming from $40k+ cars, I'm not expecting them to be on the $30k TSX. However, features that come in base Chevrolet's, they should be doable.

2. The incremental cost of adding some of these features is probably very little. Once you many of the components under the control of a central computer (I hope I'm not sounding like Star Trek!), then it's just a matter of some programming to have some (additional) actions performed based on some conditions.
For a remote starter, you have checks for interlocks (car in park, brake pedal not pressed, key transponder electronically simulated), then connections for power, an antenna, a separate key fob, plus installation. Basically, everything most cars already have. All they really need to add is a separate start button (or a sequence on your existing remote), and a line to interface to the ignition function. GM can do that for $150. I paid my Acura dealer $500 to do that.
Similarly, the car knows how to lock and unlock the doors. It also knows when it is and isn't in park. It could be as simpkle as some programming to marry the two actions so that doors lock and unlock automatically. That can't be that much $$

3. It would be very nice to be a fly on the wall as cars are being developed, to hear what the different groups propose for features, and to hear what gets rejected, and why. Some of the features I mentioned in my first post (about my G6 rental) have been around for years. It's not that Acura was never exposed to them, it has to be that for whatever reason they chose not to implement them. I'd like to know why. They still need the extra features (like the remote lowering of windows) to give them an advantage of other companies, to keep their image (and justify their higher price).

Jeff

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff
I think the flip side of your argument is that those "features" might actually detract from the value of the car. The RDS would be nice, but it could possibly hinder the sales of the XM, which does have that info displayed. Personally, I don't like doors that lock automatically. When I want to leave my car, I just want to pull on the door handle. I don't like automatic headlights either. If you rely on the electronic eye, you will sometimes be driving with them off when they should be on and vice versa. I don't want all kinds of lights and horns when I lock or unlock my car either, and with a 6MT I would never start my car without my foot on the clutch. I also don't like flashing seatbelt signs and passenger seatbelt signs and airbag signs, something all American cars have (reminding you that you are safe all the time). I would hate the infrared feature on some German cars that beep and warn you when you are "too close" to the guy ahead of you. The awesome features the TSX has really make a difference. Too many bells and whistles would make me feel like I'm driving a Swiss Army car.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:16 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDS sucks anyway. I had it in my last car and could only get information for a few crappy stations. It was a nice novelty for the first few passengers, but it wore off quickly and eventually i wouldn't even bother with it.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I haven't used my regular radio since I discovered the joys of XM. Who needs RDS when you have XM?