New Volvo S40 T5 is JUNK! More...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004 | 12:42 AM
Pro

Thumbs down New Volvo S40 T5 is JUNK! More...

I went the Minneapolis Auto Show on Friday and one of the cars I wanted to see was the new Volvo S40 T5. Getting lots of hype and advertisements for this thing on TV has been constant for 2 weeks.
In person, this thing looks small and if it were built from 100% plastic. I am sure everyone has seen that one nice picture that floated around the internet in which the S40 T5 looked pretty tough in silver. The one they had at the show was red and the sticker was $33,??? so this one had almost all of the bells and whistles and it was still embarrassing. That puts this car up against the BMW, A4, IS300, 9-3, TL, etc. I would have bought any of those cars before this one
The car is cheap and small. I'm 5'10" and when the drivers seat was where I needed it, I could not fit my legs in the back seat. I know that none of the cars mentioned above have huge back seats either, but I do fit in all of them. I don't care what the dimensions say on paper, this thing is a shoebox. The interior is boring as can be except for the gimmicky center console that is detached from the dash and serves no function other than being different.
If any of you were waiting on this car to compare to the TSX, don't waste your time, it is a joke and it's a bad one at that. This thing better be putting out great performance numbers because if it doesn't, they are not going to sell...

Major Disappointment!

And it's official, the new 5-Series is not going to grow on me...
Old 03-21-2004 | 06:18 AM
Instructor

As a previous S40 driver, I think this one improved a lot already. Not even close to the TSX compare styling. But the performance should not be bad with the T5. Don't know about handling, want to have a test drive when it's available.
Old 03-21-2004 | 07:23 AM
The Voice of Reason

The price on the new V50 T5 was rumored to be a familiar $26,990. The model at the show must've had some really big bells and whistles!

I really don't care for the S40 V50 dash layout.

That said, another thing I notice is an absence of cubbyholes, which is something that's driven me crazy on every service loaner since the S80. Do they think every Volvo driver worldwide has E-Z Pass for tolls and doesn't park at meters?

I still think that quality of components in my Volvo is way ahead of my Hondas. One of Honda's non-secrets is that if a component isn't there, it can't possibly break.

I'm still hoping for a turbocharged touring (wagon) variant of the TSX or a 330i performance package or M3 with the touring body.
Old 03-21-2004 | 08:21 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

The previous S40 was not exactly fantastic either, it was small, slow and boring. A good solid car, but by no means an enthusiasts car- at least they are making an effort with the T5. Thanks for the scoop though I was thinking of waiting for the Volvo, but now I am glad I didn't.
Old 03-21-2004 | 12:40 PM

I think the new S40 is fantastic. A great step from the previous generations. Open your eyes.
Old 03-21-2004 | 12:54 PM
Teh ?

I think it is at least a great improvement over the previous generation. Plus, the starting price is around 25k, which isn't bad. I sat in the interior and it is larger than the previous model, and we have to remember that this car was built for the European market in mind, so being large isn't the best selling point. B-D, I don't know, the 9-3 back seats are pretty small both in leg room and in shoulder, I would say it's bigger, but not by much.

Performance, ahh... who buys a Volvo for performance. You buy one for the safety of the cars. I'm considering this car because you can actually get a wagon on this, unlike the TSX. Plus, that floating center dash is pretty nifty (I know, it's just a gimmick, but it's cool).

I'd have to agree that this Volvo isn't for anyone interested in room or performance. This one's aimed at the female demographic who buy cars largely on their safety record. And you can't say that Volvo hasn't been successful at making it's own little niche in the market.

Junkster, who thought the interior was a bit too 'plastic'.
Old 03-21-2004 | 01:26 PM
Race Director

They don't build Volvos not like they used to. My uncle had a 91 Volvo 940 and it lasted for 11 yrs.

Only nice Volvo now these days is the S60R, 300 hp, AWD.
Old 03-21-2004 | 03:49 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I think the new S40 is fantastic. A great step from the previous generations. Open your eyes.
My eyes were wide open both inside and outside of this car. I actually think that was the problem, I think I would have liked it better with my eyes shut. I encourage the rest of you to go out and see it in person, it is disappointing...
Old 03-21-2004 | 03:53 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Junkster
Plus, the starting price is around 25k, which isn't bad.

This one's aimed at the female demographic who buy cars largely on their safety record.
If you put anything on this car, it's at least 29k and if you have seen the ads they have been running, they are not targeting women, it is a "simulated video game theme" and they are trying to target young men, not women. Unless you were specifically referring to the wagon, that I have yet to see...
Old 03-21-2004 | 04:24 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
They don't build Volvos not like they used to. My uncle had a 91 Volvo 940 and it lasted for 11 yrs.

Only nice Volvo now these days is the S60R, 300 hp, AWD.
My '98 T5 has 137,500 miles on it now, still has the original clutch, still burns no oil between changes and the 5-speed manual transmission still shifts like new. Mechanically I'd give it "A+", an "A+" for comfort, an "A+" for ergonomics and for the Fiat electronics a "C-minus" and that's charitable. I also switched because my dealer service department is staffed by gorillas who break something every time they fix something. I'm not sure Acura techs are any better but I haven't needed to visit them. Yet.

I wouldn't actually take my own money to buy one of the AWD Volvos like the V70R because there is 2 of everything to break.

There are plenty of people who drive Volvos because they can drive them fast without anyone noticing!

CLICK "Newman's Own" Volvo
Old 03-21-2004 | 06:44 PM
6MT Snob

One thing you have to keep in mind about the new S40 is that if it looks cheap, is because it is.. It's built off a new platform that will be shared by the next generation Ford Focus and the New Mazda 3. So if you can feel okay with paying almost 30 grand by the time you add on bells and whistles for a mazda 3 / focus with a nice interior maybe I can intrest you in this nice Saab 9-2.. Its not a WRX, Really..
Old 03-21-2004 | 07:51 PM
Cruisin'

Volvo has been spiraling downward for a number of year...In most reviews the car is given a poor mark for reliability. When you pay 30K+ for a car, reliability has to be better than what Volvo has to offer.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that now Volvo is owned by Ford?
Old 03-21-2004 | 09:24 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by gfxdave99
One thing you have to keep in mind about the new S40 is that if it looks cheap, is because it is.. It's built off a new platform that will be shared by the next generation Ford Focus and the New Mazda 3. So if you can feel okay with paying almost 30 grand by the time you add on bells and whistles for a mazda 3 / focus with a nice interior maybe I can intrest you in this nice Saab 9-2.. Its not a WRX, Really..
Oh come on ...platform sharing doesn't mean anything. Read the S40 reviews. Read how the journalists actually (gasp) like the car. Not a single mention of platform sharing in most reviews--just comments of how well the car actually performs.

So what if the S40 is built on the same platform as the Ford Focus RS...the little swede apparently holds its ground quite well.

Click here for a review

BTW--I had the opportunity to sit in an S40 @ the autoshow. The interior didn't seem all that cheap. Was a little cramped in the back. The major plus of this car is its looks--this car is strangely hot looking.
Old 03-21-2004 | 09:28 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by mcaron
...Does this have anything to do with the fact that now Volvo is owned by Ford?
No...the spiral started before the buyout. Volvo started having reliability problems with the more complex 5 & 6-cylinder models. From the 960 on, the newer models have never been that reliable. It's the old Volvos that are the tough bricks.

If anything, the buyout by Ford should improve reliability.
Old 03-21-2004 | 09:32 PM
Race Director

yeah my friend's folks have an 83 volvo 240 station wagon and it still runs, its a tank, and even sounds like one. the doors are so heavy to close.
Old 03-21-2004 | 09:38 PM
Pro

Platform for the next generation of european ford focus - the platform is too advanced to offer at a low price in the US. There's little to no relation to the current platform - some would say the new platform is better than the TSX and TL's...

Of course, what you DO with the platform matters more, and that's where the TSX is hard to beat as a package. I was looking forward to the S40 T5 (it's much faster than the TSX), but the Volvo reliability ratings turned me off. And now it sounds like it's more like a stylish Mazda inside than a Volvo. Hmmm.
Old 03-21-2004 | 10:24 PM
bleh...

Its not a bad looking car, but its dashboard is a bit weird though.
Old 03-21-2004 | 10:30 PM
6MT Snob

Yeah when we went to the auto show my friend tom who is 6'4" and 290 (big muscle dood) had to sit in any backseat of any car i was thinking about and i actually kinda liked the S40 but my 5'11" ass could barely fit back there
Old 03-21-2004 | 10:31 PM
6MT Snob

Oh and for the record most people say my TSX's back seat is more comfortable (room wise) then my CTS's
Old 03-21-2004 | 11:17 PM
Pinky all stinky

I like the S40's exterior design. Quite possibly the best looking new car this year.

The interior was plain and not very useful. There is only a small and shallow space behind the center console; I really can't imgine putting anything there. Change would just roll around, cards and tickets would just fly off during turns and acceleration and braking.

If I didn't value space efficiency, I would get this car.
Old 03-21-2004 | 11:35 PM
Über Geek

I just did the S40 All Access test drive thing today. Drove the T5 stick and automatic in a tight pylon course. Here's my take:

-PRICING: Deceptive. $26,900 excludes the stuff we're used to: leather, sunroof, CD changer, heated seats, 17" wheels, etc. Comparably equipped it IS near $33k.

-EXTERIOR: I dig it. Yes, a bit small in person but taut and athletic. Maybe the best looking Volvo I've ever seen.

-PERFORMANCE: Plenty quick. But a turbo will do that. Felt solid and balanced overall but shifter and clutch were way too mushy. Hard to get a true picture since the course won't let you get out of 2nd.

-INTERIOR: Clean, pleasant, and efficient. And a bit dull. The flat-panel console does look pretty cool. Unfortunately the space behind it's fairly useless and tough to get to. Ergonomically, it fails too. Since the controls and displays are lower than the main dash, it means looking further from the road to mess with it.

Dash materials are just so-so. Disappointing for a car this price. One high point: the metal trim is real aluminum…with real scratches already. Couldn't imagine touching it in late August.

Seats: no cars on-hand had leather. Instead, they have a some high-techie stuff similar to neoprene showing it's feminine side. A bit odd, but soft. They do, however, come with THREE memory buttons. Oh well.

Shiftright was right: very little storage. The glove box was microsopic.

That's what I can remember. It's not a bad car at all. Just not one that fits MY priorities. One other thing. Before you drive, they have the guy on stage in this big tent doing a presentation about the car and all its wonders. When they start talking price, they drive the S40 out and in rolls in a CGP TSX (my car!) right in front of me! After the guy politely rags on the TSX's low torque, it's followed by a bare bones A4 and 325i.
Old 03-22-2004 | 12:18 AM
Pro

Originally posted by captainjack
When they start talking price, they drive the S40 out and in rolls in a CGP TSX (my car!) right in front of me! After the guy politely rags on the TSX's low torque, it's followed by a bare bones A4 and 325i.
LOL, I bet they get those cars the heck out of there before anyone can sit in them and realize how small and trashy that S40 is... At the show, I would have compared it to the Mazda 3 and that car starts at about 15k...
Old 03-22-2004 | 12:22 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by captainjack

Dash materials are just so-so. Disappointing for a car this price. One high point: the metal trim is real aluminum…with real scratches already. Couldn't imagine touching it in late August.

Are you sure? I thought it was plastic. It didn't feel cool to the touch and when I tapped it, it didn't sound like real metal.
Old 03-22-2004 | 08:36 AM
Teh ?

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
If you put anything on this car, it's at least 29k and if you have seen the ads they have been running, they are not targeting women, it is a "simulated video game theme" and they are trying to target young men, not women. Unless you were specifically referring to the wagon, that I have yet to see...
You do notice at the end of every Volvo ad that they still emphasize safety. Last account from Automotive News said that the primary buyer for the Volvo line have been women, age 30~45. Wagons account for more than 70% of their total sales. Sure, they are targeting young men with the ad, but it's definitely a feminine car in almost all aspects.

I saw the car at the Denver Auto Show and was pondering this car as well as the new Legacy, TSX, and G35. Yea, it gets pricey really quick which was a turn-off. Plus, Volvo reliability hasn't been very good of late.

Junkster, who liked the real aluminum on the dash though.
Old 03-22-2004 | 01:36 PM
Race Director

I'm starting to hate volvos with a passion. Some lady in her mid-30s early 40s was tailgating me and passed me and didn't even use her turn signal to cut me off. What a bitch. But, I was still able to get in front of her later on when there were 2 lanes in the left lane and I let her eat my dust.
Old 03-22-2004 | 05:06 PM
Instructor

I saw the S40 at the Denver auto show and agree, it is crap.
It is very small, the styling is getting out dated since the S60 has had the same styling for a few years. They should have come out with something unique for this car.

The area for the stereo and heat/AC is bizzare. It doesn't look to bad in the picture but in person I was like what the??????

The car felt very tight inside and has a hard look/feel to it, very
Scandinavian feel.

I was in the car for about 30 sec and was able to scratch it off my list of cars i'm interested in.