My baby done left me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004 | 06:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ric
AND DON'T TELL THE INSURANCE COMPANY ABOUT THE KEY IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!!
It's not such a big deal. At least not in Canada.

I remember hearing an interview with an administrator of insurers' association saying explicitly that they covered even neglect, namely, in that case discussed then, that even if someone without snow tires crashed, and the crash could be blamed on his neglect to wear snow tires, they would still cover him without a word.

She more or less said that they understood that anyone could, consciously or not neglect something that could lead to a loss, and they were not abilitated to make the difference. It would be different though, in a case where they could point out to a fraud, for example if a person conspired for someone to break in a house and steal. And then she said, but forgetting your keys on the doorknob is not evidence of a conspiracy, and would be considered as a case of neglect, which would be covered.
Old 11-10-2004 | 12:46 PM
6 speed yo!

so whateva happened to the car?
Old 11-10-2004 | 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tsxhondatuner
so whateva happened to the car?
Zip. Still hasn't been found. It has been the requisite 30 days now, so my ins. co. will be processing the claim soon. Meanwhile, I've been driving Mazda 6s and Chevy Impalas for the past 4 weeks. They really don't measure up.

Kind of funny/sad story: I called my police department a couple of weeks ago to see if there were any updates. The officer I spoke to said that the car hadn't been found, nothing to report. We got into a small conversation about next steps, etc. He was nice enough to clue me in on a bunch of places I should look to see if my car had been dumped. He pointed me to a state park nearby, and a couple of different entrances to start at. he said they've found cars dumped there a number of times in the past. While I didn't say this to him, my reaction was, "Isn't that your job? Get your ass over there!" My appreciation for the local boys-in-blue faded a bit after that conversation...

Of course that weekend I spent a couple of hours wandering through the state park as suggested, but didn't find anything.

So, if my insurance company treats me ok, I will probably go for the '05 in January (when my wife's lease on her Accord is up).
Old 11-10-2004 | 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Sucks man. Sorry to hear that.
Old 11-11-2004 | 01:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mtnkill
Zip. Still hasn't been found. It has been the requisite 30 days now, so my ins. co. will be processing the claim soon. Meanwhile, I've been driving Mazda 6s and Chevy Impalas for the past 4 weeks. They really don't measure up.

Kind of funny/sad story: I called my police department a couple of weeks ago to see if there were any updates. The officer I spoke to said that the car hadn't been found, nothing to report. We got into a small conversation about next steps, etc. He was nice enough to clue me in on a bunch of places I should look to see if my car had been dumped. He pointed me to a state park nearby, and a couple of different entrances to start at. he said they've found cars dumped there a number of times in the past. While I didn't say this to him, my reaction was, "Isn't that your job? Get your ass over there!" My appreciation for the local boys-in-blue faded a bit after that conversation...

Of course that weekend I spent a couple of hours wandering through the state park as suggested, but didn't find anything.

So, if my insurance company treats me ok, I will probably go for the '05 in January (when my wife's lease on her Accord is up).
Our insurance co. was very reasonable - good luck.

The police never found our car either. They called me up a month later to ask if we had found it? nice huh. I had the same thought - "aren't you supposed to be looking for it" - police are useless for stolen cars - they told us most of the time newer cars are parted out within a couple days of being stolen. not that the police don't have bigger problems, but it sucks to know something so valuable can completely disappear and you can't do a thing about it. (even when your car gets stolen from your dealer - in my case the dealer never took responsibility and even tried to suggest that we were out of line to be upset - we collected from our insurance company and wrote a press release to every news outlet naming the dealer --it was vw of santa monica, ca by the way owned by a real piece of work Mike Sullivan - i've also told my story to many vw sites and car forums to spread the word)
Old 11-22-2004 | 12:33 PM
Intermediate

Update...

So, I had sent all the paperwork (including the remaining sets of keys) into my insurance company, given that it had been over the 30 days required to claim it as a 'total loss'. On Thursday last week, I got a call from the claim adjuster giving me the $$ amount they were willing to pay out. Surprisingly enough, it was pretty close to what I was hoping to get (for the curious, a year old TSX 5AT, non-navi in excellent condition with ~12,500 miles on it can get you slightly over $23,700 if a total loss).

They sent me the forms to sign off on transfer of ownership at which point they would cut a check to the finance company, and then send me the remainder. I got the forms Sat. afternoon.

Well Sat. night at 10pm, after 38 days missing, my car was found the next town over from me in the parking lot of a Hannaford Bros. grocery store. I can only assume it had been sitting there for a month, and no one bothered to question the fact it hadn't moved for weeks. So, I get the call from the police, and I immediately start working the phones to see if I can

a.) go see my car
b.) take ownership of it again if it is in good condition

The tow lot it was brought to was closed until today, but I drove over there anyway, in the hopes that I could get a look to see if there was any damage, etc.
There wasn't any fence or anything, so there she was, and I was able to really check it out (except the interior, as it was locked, and I no longer have the keys). It appears there is absolutely no damage whatsoever! The glass is all intact, wheels/tires look fine, plates are on it, no scratches/dents that I could see (at 11pm, mind you). What's more, it appears all of the stuff I had in the car is piled up in the back seat! We're talking 20-25 CDs, sun shield, map books, even my ice scraper. I couldn't believe it! I just hope that the CDs are actually in the cases, and that my trunk has all the soccer gear I had stored back there...

So now, I'm sitting on my ass, waiting for my insurance company to call me back and say they will release it back to me, and that I can go get it. This is the worst wait ever...
Old 11-22-2004 | 12:38 PM

wow, i'm glad they found it...

suprised nothing was broken or missing
Old 11-22-2004 | 12:41 PM
Go Giants

Damn joyriders...Happened to my mom a long time ago. Same think, but they found some "powder" in the back seat....
Old 11-22-2004 | 01:04 PM
Quattro in.....

Glad they found your car. But, I would be worried about how they abused the car when joyriding and assuming that the valet key is still missing, I would want to change the transponder unit that reads the car keys and get a new set of keys for the car, especially since it was taken from your driveway. (meaning they know where to find it).

Could you or the police tell how they got in?
Old 11-22-2004 | 01:41 PM
6 speed yo!

thats weird. atleast you got yours back!!
Old 11-22-2004 | 02:26 PM
Master in Science

Wow! That's awesome! Certainly cheaper than buying a new car. Haha.
Old 11-22-2004 | 10:27 PM
No-navi, yo

38 days..., that is a long time. Good thing it was found.
Old 11-22-2004 | 10:40 PM
Team Owner

You got lucky, but definitely look into having the transponder changed.
Old 11-23-2004 | 12:11 PM
Intermediate

I have her back. I was able to pick up the keys, sign all the release forms, and pick it up last night. The towing company raped me, but oh well.

Overall, great condition...no damage that I can see, some cigarette ash on the dashboard and in the 'Not an ashtray' (can't these thieves read??). They only put on about 10-20 miles at most. Missing items: 1 pair of sunglasses, cell phone that didn't have service, about 10 CDs (out of 25 or so...they were selective, how strange), and emergency air compressor from the trunk, and my Owner's manual. WTF do they need with my Owner's manual...I didn't store anything in it. They were kind enough to leave me a disposable cigarette lighter, though. The police didn't bother to dust for prints or anything that I am aware. Nice and thorough...

Already talked to a dealership about redoing all my locks/ignition, etc. Will cost slightly over $1k, but that's worth it. The valet key is still missing.
Old 11-23-2004 | 12:16 PM
Go Giants

Very strange theives indeed. In college someone broke into my then girlfriends car and only stole the Bette Midler tapes. My conclusion was :ghey: thieves....
Old 11-23-2004 | 12:18 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by wsklar
Very strange theives indeed. In college someone broke into my then girlfriends car and only stole the Bette Midler tapes. My conclusion was :ghey: thieves....
Old 11-23-2004 | 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

.....about 10 CDs (out of 25 or so...they were selective, how strange...
Interesting. A friend of mine's car broke down on the way back home from college. When he got back, he noticed that someone had broken into his car, stole his aftermarket HU and SOME of his CDs. It was funny b/c he was actually offended that they didn't take ALL the CDs (i.e. the theives thought he had bad taste in music).
Old 11-23-2004 | 12:24 PM
Racer

I have her back. I was able to pick up the keys, sign all the release forms, and pick it up last night. The towing company raped me, but oh well.

Overall, great condition...no damage that I can see, some cigarette ash on the dashboard and in the 'Not an ashtray' (can't these thieves read??). They only put on about 10-20 miles at most. Missing items: 1 pair of sunglasses, cell phone that didn't have service, about 10 CDs (out of 25 or so...they were selective, how strange), and emergency air compressor from the trunk, and my Owner's manual. WTF do they need with my Owner's manual...I didn't store anything in it. They were kind enough to leave me a disposable cigarette lighter, though. The police didn't bother to dust for prints or anything that I am aware. Nice and thorough...

Already talked to a dealership about redoing all my locks/ignition, etc. Will cost slightly over $1k, but that's worth it. The valet key is still missing.

Dude, dont change the locks, just park it with the gas near empty, maybe they will be kind enough to fill her up for you.
Old 11-23-2004 | 12:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
Interesting. A friend of mine's car broke down on the way back home from college. When he got back, he noticed that someone had broken into his car, stole his aftermarket HU and SOME of his CDs. It was funny b/c he was actually offended that they didn't take ALL the CDs (i.e. the theives thought he had bad taste in music).
That's the ultimate dis. Not only to have your car broken into, but to have the theives say that your taste in music sucks.
Old 11-23-2004 | 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
That's the ultimate dis. Not only to have your car broken into, but to have the theives say that your taste in music sucks.
Sadly, that's the story of my life...no one likes the shit I listen to.
Old 11-23-2004 | 01:30 PM
Race Director

, well wecome back buddy, glad shes ok !
Old 11-23-2004 | 06:50 PM
Racer

Need an owners manual???

Maybe this one is yours??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6762