just spent 38k on TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
Funny how people disagree. I think your car is a piece of shit. If the BMW 330 was the SAME price as the TSX I'd STILL take the TSX. The 330 may be faster and handle a little better, but the 3-series is fugly man.

"fugly" is subjective, but a "piece of shit"?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny how people disagree. I think your car is a piece of shit. If the BMW 330 was the SAME price as the TSX I'd STILL take the TSX. The 330 may be faster and handle a little better, but the 3-series is fugly man.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Did you get your TSX yet? post pics, you still got props for having the most expensive TSX stock.. for wutever thats worth
Old 11-17-2005, 02:25 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Now that's uncalled for

You know how many (a) BMW+TSX, (b) ex-BMW and (c) plan-to-add-back-a-BMW drivers are here?!? I know I am in two of those three groups...

:troutslap time!!!
Speculative, seeing as you called somene a moron a couple posts ago. I dunno if I should be hearing this from you.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:30 PM
send me a link to JDM??

I find this whole discussion of paying more for the BMW "name" HILARIOUS!!

Lol, we are driving Hondas.... Acura is just a name, a name created to allow Honda to jack up the price.

Anyone who is saying you are just paying more for the BMW "name" is extremely naive... most of what you pay for in this country, or world, is for the name... how much do you think it costs to make anything you buy? FAR less then what you are paying... and if you have ever bought a name brand of ANYTHING, you are paying for just a name. :rollseyes:
Old 11-17-2005, 02:31 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
I find this whole discussion of paying more for the BMW "name" HILARIOUS!!

Lol, we are driving Hondas.... Acura is just a name, a name created to allow Honda to jack up the price.

Anyone who is saying you are just paying more for the BMW "name" is extremely naive... most of what you pay for in this country, or world, is for the name... how much do you think it costs to make anything you buy? FAR less then what you are paying... and if you have ever bought a name brand of ANYTHING, you are paying for just a name. :rollseyes:
^READ THIS

oh and page 6 ownage
Old 11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Banned

This is a Honda Accord in other parts of the world, so what TSX.Fury said it right. You are still paying for the name.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Actually, no. I'm paying for the TSX, if the Accord available here had the looks/features/performance of the TSX then I would be driving an Accord. But, thats just me. The only way I'm paying for the name is that Acura has developed a reputation of having well built cars that don't break down. That's why I would be willing to pay a bit more for an Acura versus, say, Chevy, if the cars were identical in all other respects.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:39 PM
iVTEC no koe

and if you have ever bought a name brand of ANYTHING, you are paying for just a name. :rollseyes:

That depends on what you consider "name brand". If a product is from a "name brand" and also to be of higher quality, you are not "paying for just a name", but higher quality product as well.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:40 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by jlukja
Actually, no. I'm paying for the TSX, if the Accord available here had the looks/features/performance of the TSX then I would be driving an Accord. But, thats just me. The only way I'm paying for the name is that Acura has developed a reputation of having well built cars that don't break down. That's why I would be willing to pay a bit more for an Acura versus, say, Chevy, if the cars were identical in all other respects.

I came from a Honda Accord, and I'm now driving an Accord, in essence. My car is not luxury, it's just an Accord.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:42 PM
send me a link to JDM??

I didn't say anything about the looks, that's subjective, although you can get the same features in a USDM Honda Accord, plus more horsepower... for less money. So if you are paying for the looks that's one thing, something unrelated. But really you are paying for the Acura name...

And are you gonna try to tell me that Honda hasn't developed a reputation of reliability?? That would be absurd
Old 11-17-2005, 02:43 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by HoRRo
That depends on what you consider "name brand". If a product is from a "name brand" and also to be of higher quality, you are not "paying for just a name", but higher quality product as well.
Clothes are an example... no real difference between A&F jeans and other jeans for example... lol A&F might be worse quality.

Throw in medicine, that's a great example. People that buy Bayer when the CVS brand is sitting right next to it, and contains the EXACT same ingrediants.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJams
How do you figure?
Ummm what he has in it? Does anyone else on the board even have i-VES?

$84 trunk tray
$109 - all season mats
$395 - TOC (protectant)
$1,893 i-ves
$1,201 - bodykit
$498 - spoiler
$1,119 - a-spec wheels,
$490 - steering wheel
$109 - cargo net

$29,800 TSX w/Nav
$2,186 6% tax

He also has bluetooth and Zagat and memory seats and all the rest of the upgrades on an '06 also. He's buying at a time when '06s are at a premium too.

(following not directed at you in particular CJams)

Some of ya'll keep pointing out what you paid for your cars as a comparison but you aren't including the single biggest $ - tax. Sebo is including 2k+ in that 38k. Did any of you get out the door with a new model year (when you bought it) Navi TSX for 30k? I got a phenomenal deal and not including my options I paid 30,500 out the door for my '04 6MT Navi.

If you did get to 30k out the door - assuming a 6% tax rate that would mean you negotiated your TSX 5AT/Navi down to $28,300. That's a heckuva job.

If you're gonna belittle the guy just do it fairly eh?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Team Owner

I didn't say anything about the looks, that's subjective, although you can get the same features in a USDM Honda Accord, plus more horsepower... for less money. So if you are paying for the looks that's one thing, something unrelated. But really you are paying for the Acura name...

And are you gonna try to tell me that Honda hasn't developed a reputation of reliability?? That would be absurd
Honda has developed a similar reputation, no doubt.

I was making a distinction between the Accord and the TSX. The TSX is not just a rebadged Accord. If the European Accord were available here then I'd be driving it. But the USDM Accord doesn't have the same look (when I bought my 04TSX the then current Accord had the fat ass styling), the same standard features, nor does it have the same handling.

Yes, there are people out there who buy the brand and not the car. But, some of us actually buy the car.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:02 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Whats strange to me is that it seems none of the accessories were discounted.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
Probably because he didnt ask them to be...
Old 11-17-2005, 03:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Probably because he didnt ask them to be...

If that is in fact the case than this guy deserves the flack he's been getting.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom
They were a little bit. My dealer quoted me a good bit more than that initially.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:10 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Honda has developed a similar reputation, no doubt.

I was making a distinction between the Accord and the TSX. The TSX is not just a rebadged Accord. If the European Accord were available here then I'd be driving it. But the USDM Accord doesn't have the same look (when I bought my 04TSX the then current Accord had the fat ass styling), the same standard features, nor does it have the same handling.

Yes, there are people out there who buy the brand and not the car. But, some of us actually buy the car.
There is a big difference in what we are saying though...

I'm not saying you didn't buy the car for the name... but I am sure you understood when paying for the car that you were paying a certain amount for the name.

I agree... I bought this car for the features, look, and performance... not the name (otherwise I wouldn't have rebadged Honda) However, I understood when buying it, that it's an Acura... and I'm probably paying a certain amount of $ for that name.

EDIT: and not to be picky but you mean Acura has developed a similar reputation to Honda Hondas been around longer
Old 11-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by HoRRo
Speculative, seeing as you called somene a moron a couple posts ago. I dunno if I should be hearing this from you.
There's a core difference in what I said and what you said...

I called ONE PERSON a moron

and

you on the other hand delivered a giant generalization stereotyping statement!

:troutslap continues...
Old 11-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Just dial 1911

There is a big difference in what we are saying though...

I'm not saying you didn't buy the car for the name... but I am sure you understood when paying for the car that you were paying a certain amount for the name.

I agree... I bought this car for the features, look, and performance... not the name (otherwise I wouldn't have rebadged Honda) However, I understood when buying it, that it's an Acura... and I'm probably paying a certain amount of $ for that name.

EDIT: and not to be picky but you mean Acura has developed a similar reputation to Honda Hondas been around longer
So by that logic, if the TSX was sold as a Honda, the price would be much less?

I dont think so.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:18 PM
send me a link to JDM??

So by that logic, if the TSX was sold as a Honda, the price would be much less?

I dont think so.
You really don't think so?

ever studied consumer economics?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:23 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Just as a clarification, I'm not saying anyone bought the car just because it's an Acura... but to imagine that you arn't paying anything for the Acura name (when Acura is the luxury brand of Honda) is just silly...

Why else would car companies even have two separte brands? Because a lot of people (when they are buying an expensive car) don't want a Toyota, or Honda...
Old 11-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

My boss bought a 325i for his wife. She wanted a BMW so thats what he bought. She drives it back and forth to work and to drop off their son at school. She asked for it because it was a BMW, that is all. That's buying the brand.

I agree with you to a point. I think the members who visit this site are more enthusiasts than the general population and are, IMHO, much more likely to select the TSX for its features and not for its brand. Hand in hand with that logic, the members here who appreciate BMWs, are much more likely to do so based on their performance rather than the fact that they are BMWs.

Does what you describe happen? Absolutely. But its not the rule.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Just dial 1911

You really don't think so?

ever studied consumer economics?
Well, is a JDM Accord compairable in price to a USDM TSX? Im curious.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Pro

The TSX is a great car, but 38k was way too much to pay for one. Not worth it imo. You couldve gotten and TL w/navi or a car a step above the TSX. I hope you dont regret it later
Old 11-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Just dial 1911

According to THIS site, the euro Honda Accord with navi is priced at 17,400 Pounds. Convert that to USD = $29,910

Still think your paying for the Acura name?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:40 PM
send me a link to JDM??

According to THIS site, the euro Honda Accord with navi is priced at 17,400 Pounds. Convert that to USD = $29,910

Still think your paying for the Acura name?
and you think there are no other factors that affect that?

explain to me why gas is $6 a gallon in Europe... is it because the gas is more potent? There are other factors that affect price. How much is the Euro-R in Japan? Africa? Greenland? I'm guess you will find a different price everywhere, there are a great deal of factors that affect price... lol probably the lest of which is the physical product.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:41 PM
send me a link to JDM??

My boss bought a 325i for his wife. She wanted a BMW so thats what he bought. She drives it back and forth to work and to drop off their son at school. She asked for it because it was a BMW, that is all. That's buying the brand.

I agree with you to a point. I think the members who visit this site are more enthusiasts than the general population and are, IMHO, much more likely to select the TSX for its features and not for its brand. Hand in hand with that logic, the members here who appreciate BMWs, are much more likely to do so based on their performance rather than the fact that they are BMWs.

Does what you describe happen? Absolutely. But its not the rule.
All I'm saying is, not matter what you think, why you bought the car, whatever... you ARE paying a premium for the Acura name.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sebo
after all the accessories the price came to $38,700~ USD.

i got the '06 5AT/Nav

i-ves,
bodykit
spoiler
a-spec wheels,
floormats
silver steering wheel
cargo net
trunk tray
detailed weather seal (5 year warranty on seats, stains, scratches, acid rain damage, etc).
yeah that weather seal is called zylon or something like that, my dad got it, it was 500 USD.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Just dial 1911

and you think there are no other factors that affect that?

explain to me why gas is $6 a gallon in Europe... is it because the gas is more potent? There are other factors that affect price. How much is the Euro-R in Japan? Africa? Greenland? I'm guess you will find a different price everywhere, there are a great deal of factors that affect price... lol probably the lest of which is the physical product.
Should'nt you be tending to a wrecked car?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:47 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Should'nt you be tending to a wrecked car?
lol... now that's just not nice

(sorry, I was a consumer economics major for a while and participated in lots of studies about the auto industry )
Old 11-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Racer

i don't understand why u got a DVD player. a TSX isn't a "DVD" type of car. DVD players are more for SUVs and cars like that.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
6MT or Death

What kills me about this thread is that it's a BS thread started by a guy who bought the car he wanted with the options he wanted for a price he found amusing enough to share. All of you seem a bit righteously inclined to assume you know what he should've done with his money when it's what YOU would've done with his money. Stop wishing you had his money and go work for your own. Then maybe. One day soon. You too can go out. Spend $38K. And buy the tragic pretentious German car of your choosing. But remember people who buy BMWs aren't bad people; they're only looked at that way because they can afford the cost of fixing them.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Racer

All that money and not a lick of added performance? Basically, $7000 worth of cosmetic add-ons to make the car look a little different (not any better, IMO) from stock.

Personally, I'd rather have 25% more car than 25% more bling.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Just dial 1911

Sebo, I need something clarified. Did you actually sign the final sales contract with that price?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fedlawman
All that money and not a lick of added performance? Basically, $7000 worth of cosmetic add-ons to make the car look a little different (not any better, IMO) from stock.

Personally, I'd rather have 25% more car than 25% more bling.
That's exactly what I said. I'd much rather have a 325i without any of the stupid options that the TSX has because it is just that much better of a car (from a driving perspective.) I got my car fully loaded because I could afford it, but I would have been happy with a 330i with only a sport package.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
what's shocking to me is it seems he didnt get nothing "thrown in"
I mean What Teh Fxck ?!
He problly got charged for the wheel locks too lol
Old 11-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nikki
That's exactly what I said. I'd much rather have a 325i without any of the stupid options that the TSX has because it is just that much better of a car (from a driving perspective.) I got my car fully loaded because I could afford it, but I would have been happy with a 330i with only a sport package.
Yeah but your car is a POS. For all you people rolling your eyes over the fact that I'd take a TSX over the 3-series: why are you here? Go buy a BMW and get off the Acura forum. You can get a BMW for about the same as Acura money. So why not?

And also, I still don't understand why this guy is a moron for paying $38k for a TSX. His money, his choice, his happiness. Instead of insulting him, why not congratulate him.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Banned

Yeah but your car is a POS. For all you people rolling your eyes over the fact that I'd take a TSX over the 3-series: why are you here? Go buy a BMW and get off the Acura forum. You can get a BMW for about the same as Acura money. So why not?

And also, I still don't understand why this guy is a moron for paying $38k for a TSX. His money, his choice, his happiness. Instead of insulting him, why not congratulate him.
lol ok i admit that my car is a POS.

Quick Reply: just spent 38k on TSX