Hacking the '06 TSX Navi System

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hacking the '06 TSX Navi System

Hi everyone,

I am new around but through all of my searching these forums and other acura forums, I was not able to find where anyone has successfully extracted the bin files form the white nav disc that comes with the 06 TSX. Since I just bought my car last weekend, I was anxious to get in there and use the tools released by Bysin to change the startup screen image. However the bin formats changed in the 06 and those tools are no longer compatible. So I had to figure it out all over again for the 06.

Let me know if you are interested in this app so I can get an idea of how many people may use it. I don't want to take all the time getting it user friendly if no one really needs it.

I am still working on it and will have some tools ready very soon, but here is a preview of the 3 startup images I found in 06Touch2.bin and 06Jog2.bin (both bin's have the same images) Once I get the app finished I will be testing out replacing the startup image on my car. Right now I dont know which bin is actually used since they both have the images.

Here are the images that I found... I dont remember seeing the first one before from the 04 or 05 but I could just be mistaken.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wish i had the nav
Old 07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

hmmm... I accidently must have made a frown face on the first post of this thread. lol It really should be more like...

Mods can you fix the first post to a thumbs up or something?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

Good luck !
Old 07-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Cruisin'

I would be interested.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by hrj_1985
i wish i had the nav
oh well, im not trading in my car anytime soon, so live and learn...
Old 07-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Instructor

I am highly interested in modifying the navi sys
Old 07-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Ok great. Glad to see that there is some interest. I will keep everyone posted of my progress.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

Are you just going to try to replace the slash screen? Or are you looking at removing the nag screen as well? I would be very interested in removing the nag screen.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

I would also like it. Thanks, T.R.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Removing the nag screen is one of my goals. I would also like to add modules to enable more multimedia functionality.

Has anyone ever played with the pc card slot, gotten the nav comp on a network?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wish you the best of luck and definately keep us updated!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by angrycamel
Hi everyone,

I am new around but through all of my searching these forums and other acura forums, I was not able to find where anyone has successfully extracted the bin files form the white nav disc that comes with the 06 TSX.
I have an '06 with the white disc and I modified mine using the instructions given in post #1242
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&page=50&pp=25

to go even farther, i copied/burned a copy of my navi disc and i'm using the burned disk instead of the original.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Instructor

through all of my searching these forums and other acura forums, I was not able to find where anyone has successfully extracted the bin files form the white nav disc that comes with the 06 TSX.
I don't know how in the world I missed that but thanks for the link! Thats good to see that the image stuff is already operational, now I can just direct my attention to the no nag hack instead. Then later trying to write my own modules to include.

Thanks again for the link,
AC
Old 08-11-2006, 11:29 PM
2007 Royal Blue Pearl RDX

nav mod

I'm interested in the mods as well. I believe my screen shows the middle one that is shown.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Ozhonda member :P

multimedia function!?!? damn interested~!!! keep us inform of this please btw will this work for me is well? i got Honda Euro CL9 with satnav in australia... hope it does

GOOD LUCK MATE~!!

Removing the nag screen is one of my goals. I would also like to add modules to enable more multimedia functionality.

Has anyone ever played with the pc card slot, gotten the nav comp on a network?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Angrycamel,

You will acheive deity status if you can accomplish all of this.

What software did you use to break open the files on the DVD? The reason I ask is that I have access to some pretty powerful software for seeing inside volumes, files, phyysical devices, etc... So if you need to, you can send me an ISO, or a file and I can try to extract portions of it, although I am not talking about a code compiler, etc... Data recovery type stuff. Let me know.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Well I started to add a very quick and simple gui to the cmd line apps that I found in the wince stuff. I uploaded it so you can take a look if your interested. I will extract the contents of the bin out to a folder. I stopped working on it since the guy above showed me it was possible with the tools you guys have already. (I missed that somehow in my searching.)

Anyways, here it is if your interested. All its really doing is using cmd line tools that I found online to convert the bin to an nb0 file then extract that.

Be aware this may have some bugs in it. Backup your bin before playing around with it.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/8da0a1/
Old 08-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Instructor

For anyone who has burned a new disc with success on the 06 nav system, can you post your burning software as well as disc type and manufacture? I have tried three different types of cdr's as well as one dvd-r. I have also tried both Nero and Windows cd burner built into the os.

Here is what I am doing and the results I am getting:
I burn my new disc with the modified bin as well as the other files required per this little howto.

Next I start my car with the original disc in the nav unit and the nav unit's little door closed.

Once the nav has started I hold the menu/map/cancel buttons down for fize seconds then select the version screen

Once on that screen I can go to my trunk, open the little nav door, then eject the stock disc. The nav system continues to run just fin sitting on the version screen with only the two available buttons, download and return.

It is at this point that I have tried a couple of different methods to no avail. The first time I just inserted the new disc (CDR burned with nero) and it instantly restarted the nav system then presented a contact dealer screen (bad disc) on startup.

The second time I tried burning a CDR with the windows os and I put it in on the version screen again and it behaved exactly the same way.

The thrid time I tried was with a DVD+R disc (Verbatim) burned with nero as a data dvd disc at 4x. I went to the version screen, ejected the disc, then I went to the screen in the car and hit the download button. I rushed to the trunk and inserted the dvd+r disc... it said, please check the disc and even after re-inserting the stock disc required me to restart the car to get the navi back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on types of discs that I can try or a method that I am not doing correctly? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I used verbatim CD-R's and nero to make mine. You might be doing things in the wrong order...Once you cut your car on, don't hold the three buttons. The first thing you should do is put the cdr in the drive then hold down the three buttons. You probably won't have time to do it in one step so cut your car on, pop in the cd-r..cut your car off then back on then hold down the three buttons and see what happens.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Instructor

I will try that when I get home then. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
For anyone who has burned a new disc with success on the 06 nav system, can you post your burning software as well as disc type and manufacture? I have tried three different types of cdr's as well as one dvd-r. I have also tried both Nero and Windows cd burner built into the os.

Here is what I am doing and the results I am getting:
I burn my new disc with the modified bin as well as the other files required per this little howto.

Next I start my car with the original disc in the nav unit and the nav unit's little door closed.

Once the nav has started I hold the menu/map/cancel buttons down for fize seconds then select the version screen

Once on that screen I can go to my trunk, open the little nav door, then eject the stock disc. The nav system continues to run just fin sitting on the version screen with only the two available buttons, download and return.

It is at this point that I have tried a couple of different methods to no avail. The first time I just inserted the new disc (CDR burned with nero) and it instantly restarted the nav system then presented a contact dealer screen (bad disc) on startup.

The second time I tried burning a CDR with the windows os and I put it in on the version screen again and it behaved exactly the same way.

The thrid time I tried was with a DVD+R disc (Verbatim) burned with nero as a data dvd disc at 4x. I went to the version screen, ejected the disc, then I went to the screen in the car and hit the download button. I rushed to the trunk and inserted the dvd+r disc... it said, please check the disc and even after re-inserting the stock disc required me to restart the car to get the navi back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on types of discs that I can try or a method that I am not doing correctly? Any help is greatly appreciated.
It's not the media, it's the way the data is encoded on the disk. It is not encoded in the standard serial fashion, it is encoded in some sort of parallel data format which increases the read speed of the disk. Sorry I'm not a burning expert, but I've seen a few threads of others who have ran into the same problem. There is a term for the data encoding scheme but I can't recall it right now. It might be a option on the nero software. Sorry if this isn't much help.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Racer

put the cd-r in right after you turn your key to the on position. then you wait a little and press the three buttons.

i'm also using verbatim on nero.