Grrr-Fender Bender

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005 | 09:37 PM
Orangeblood

Grrr-Fender Bender

Stupit bish backed into me. Got trailer hitch just in front of rear wheel well, above rocker panel (right above joint), wrecked wheel and tire. Guess it could be worse. Noone was hurt.

Rest of the story. A mid 20's gal was driving. She came out, I asked for insurance. She whips out cell fone. Calls, apparently no answer. So she goes back into apt. complex, guy comes out.

He looks at it. I'm still waiting for insurance. He makes half-hearted effort to make it my fault. I say, "look, I dont give a damn whose fault it was, let the insurance companies sort it out." Finally, I said, do you not want to make a claim on your insurance? He said yes. So we swapped fone numbers. I got license plate and I know where he lives.

Phoned it in to my insurance. I guess itll be about 3,000 to fix. Worse comes to worse, I put it on my collision or UIM. The guys car was a late 4Runner. In nice shape. He was some sort of Arab. My best guess is his g/f didnt have a drivers license so he didnt want to make a claim.

WTF?

Comments, ideas welcome.
Old 01-16-2005 | 10:14 PM
Racer

something similar happened to me, but I wasn't in the car and the lady was like "IT ONLY LOOKS LIKE $100 WORTH" and I was like yeah okay and she didnt wanna give me her insurance information, so I just got her liscence plate and filed a claim. Turned out to be like $2000, luckily my insurance took care of it and my rates didnt change, but if they dont want to give you their insurance info either you could charge them with a hit and run and not cooperating so I heard. gluck
Old 01-16-2005 | 10:24 PM
Orangeblood

Thanks. Glad it worked out ok.
Old 01-16-2005 | 10:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkPinTx
Worse comes to worse, I put it on my collision or UIM.
Um, you don't get to pick how your insurance pays your claim, you have to tell your carrier who hit you, let them figure out if they have insurance or not.
Old 01-17-2005 | 09:46 AM
Banned

Stupit bish backed into me. Got trailer hitch just in front of rear wheel well, above rocker panel (right above joint), wrecked wheel and tire. Guess it could be worse. Noone was hurt.

Rest of the story. A mid 20's gal was driving. She came out, I asked for insurance. She whips out cell fone. Calls, apparently no answer. So she goes back into apt. complex, guy comes out.

He looks at it. I'm still waiting for insurance. He makes half-hearted effort to make it my fault. I say, "look, I dont give a damn whose fault it was, let the insurance companies sort it out." Finally, I said, do you not want to make a claim on your insurance? He said yes. So we swapped fone numbers. I got license plate and I know where he lives.

Phoned it in to my insurance. I guess itll be about 3,000 to fix. Worse comes to worse, I put it on my collision or UIM. The guys car was a late 4Runner. In nice shape. He was some sort of Arab. My best guess is his g/f didnt have a drivers license so he didnt want to make a claim.

WTF?

Comments, ideas welcome.

so after all these business, you still did NOT manage to get insurance from the fucker ?
Old 01-17-2005 | 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LOL888
something similar happened to me, but I wasn't in the car and the lady was like "IT ONLY LOOKS LIKE $100 WORTH" and I was like yeah okay and she didnt wanna give me her insurance information, so I just got her liscence plate and filed a claim. Turned out to be like $2000, luckily my insurance took care of it and my rates didnt change, but if they dont want to give you their insurance info either you could charge them with a hit and run and not cooperating so I heard. gluck
man what is it with you people who got hit and not you fault and not able to get insurance info and NOT calling cops ?????
Old 01-17-2005 | 10:52 AM
Just dial 1911

Should have called the cops.
Old 01-17-2005 | 10:55 AM
Orangeblood

Originally Posted by matelot
man what is it with you people who got hit and not you fault and not able to get insurance info and NOT calling cops ?????
For one thing, Dallas cops wont come to a non-injury accident as a rule, unless it is causing a traffic problem. Number two, it was on private property, not a public roadway, so they won't come to that either. Finally, a police report on an accident that the cop didn't witness is of no value to anyone. The only thing that might have accomplished is to get the guy arrested. I'm mildly pissed. But not enough to throw down with the guy or start a bigass argument. Life's too short. I'm covered either way.

My insurance is USAA, which is a good company (shameless plug) and yes, they do offer choices on how to cover something. Can put on collision/uim, pay deductible, get fixed now, or wait on the other guys insurance, which can take weeks. If you put on collision/uim, they will go after the other guy and attempt to subrogate the repairs and get your deductible back.
Old 01-17-2005 | 11:36 AM
Just dial 1911

For one thing, Dallas cops wont come to a non-injury accident as a rule, unless it is causing a traffic problem. Number two, it was on private property, not a public roadway, so they won't come to that either. Finally, a police report on an accident that the cop didn't witness is of no value to anyone. The only thing that might have accomplished is to get the guy arrested. I'm mildly pissed. But not enough to throw down with the guy or start a bigass argument. Life's too short. I'm covered either way.

My insurance is USAA, which is a good company (shameless plug) and yes, they do offer choices on how to cover something. Can put on collision/uim, pay deductible, get fixed now, or wait on the other guys insurance, which can take weeks. If you put on collision/uim, they will go after the other guy and attempt to subrogate the repairs and get your deductible back.
The guy probably didnt have insurance at all. Why wouldnt he just ask you to state that HE was driving.

I have USAA too, good rates, good company. They will take care of you. But if the guy dosent have insurance, im guessing your going to be paying the deductible and not getting it back.

You should have called the cops anyway.
Old 01-17-2005 | 01:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by joerockt
Should have called the cops.
Definitely. Though it still may not be too late, especially if you know where he lives.
Old 01-17-2005 | 05:22 PM
Orangeblood

The damage is to the door (last inch or so before the "quarter panel") and the "quarter panel" just above the rocker panel from door seam to wheel well.

I note that this is NOT part of the "body" or frame. Its a deep dent (0.25") in the panel. What you think the odds of getting whole panel replaced are? Versus bondo? Which do I want?
Old 01-17-2005 | 06:00 PM
Registered Abuser

The damage is to the door (last inch or so before the "quarter panel") and the "quarter panel" just above the rocker panel from door seam to wheel well.

I note that this is NOT part of the "body" or frame. Its a deep dent (0.25") in the panel. What you think the odds of getting whole panel replaced are? Versus bondo? Which do I want?
You want it replaced, but unfortunately you probably won't have much of a say once the car gets in the shop. As a general rule, a least where I'm from, the shop and the insurance co. will do what they want. End result is you'll get your car back looking like nothing ever happened, but how it was fixed will probably be out of your control. You could always talk to the shop and/or the insurance and insist that they replace it...can't hurt to make some noise. But don't be surprised if you get the brush off.

Just my 2 cents (I'd use the 2cents smiley but IT AIN'T WORKIN) :-)
Old 02-12-2005 | 04:48 PM
Orangeblood

The wheel repair is invisible. The other repair is damn close to invisible. They had to replace the rear subframe. Alignment seems ok. Hope it is ok given the camber problems noted elsewhere.

I let my insurance deal with the SOB. He called me last week and accused me of lying to the insurance company. Bastard. I bitched him out and almost hung up on him. I hope my insurance company sues his ass. The repair was 2700 plus plus and another 10 days of rental car at 30/day.