Fog lights 2008 TSX, can you wire to work alone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lights 2008 TSX, can you wire to work alone?

I've been looking for a thread discussing how to wire the 2008 TSX fog lights to work without the headlights. Does anyone have experience with this? Just purchased HID conversion kit and want them to work without running low beams.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Why? Just to look like all the other annoying pricks running pointless fogs? Even budget model cars can have fogs now, it isn't something special to advertise anymore.

Fog lights are a low level spread of light designed to improve visibility in foggy conditions by avoiding pushing light into the fog and instead bouncing it off the road surface for better visibility. Not some look at me crap.

I'll just quit now, before I start on the whole blue light and HID bullpucky.
The following 2 users liked this post by DuckDodgers:
nj2pa2nc (08-02-2012), Rocket_man (08-03-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Instructor

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-photograph-gallery-127/finally-rewired-fogs-675628/
Old 08-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Because it looks cool!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by mlittleton
Because it looks cool!
Really? Driving with lights designed for foggy conditions switched on while it's clear says "I'm cool"? Most states have vehicle lighting laws that prohibit forward facing lights, other than headlights, being brighter than a set limit (mostly about 300-500 candlepower or so) and focused anymore than about 50-75 feet down the road.

Any replacement of the stock fogs with a HID unit is gonna risk running afoul of these laws, and is just giving police a reason to stop you.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Don't be discouraged.

Anyways, the directions are in the link I posted. Read through the thread and learn everything that you can from the thread before you do anything.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
Why? Just to look like all the other annoying pricks running pointless fogs? Even budget model cars can have fogs now, it isn't something special to advertise anymore.

Fog lights are a low level spread of light designed to improve visibility in foggy conditions by avoiding pushing light into the fog and instead bouncing it off the road surface for better visibility. Not some look at me crap.

I'll just quit now, before I start on the whole blue light and HID bullpucky.
Thank God there is someone else out there that is, at a minimum annoyed, by all the yahoos out there that feel they have to have every friggin light the car came with on all the time (which isn't really what this "look at meeeee!" hipster dufus is looking for, but you get my point!).
The following 2 users liked this post by Simba91102:
nj2pa2nc (08-02-2012), Rocket_man (08-03-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Advanced

Been running HID fogs and angel eyes on my BMW for years now. Pass cops all the time. Nope, not illegal, nope does't bother anyone and looks great. Haters gonna hate I guess. Rock on OP.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
mlittleton: "nope does't bother anyone and looks great."

How can you be certain? Are you conducting polls after you drive by?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Ok for the sake of arguments I'll rephrase. "Doesn't bother anyone and I think it looks great". Hows that?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 PM

mlittleton:

1) Stock auto units meet the requirements on aim, output, and such.

2) It bothers me, and Simba, so much for that argument.

3) OK, if you like it, that's fine...but when every high school student wants to do it, what does that say about you.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Advanced

LOL hey you're free to do as you wish.

1. I believe you are in the minority in your preference, but don't hate on people who want to be different.
2. Sorry if it bothers you.
3. I don't know many high school kids with E39's but hey, if they had one, they would probably appreciate the ability to roll with fogs around dusk when full lighting is not needed. Or wanted.

Just my $.02 of course.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine's on all the time, cause i broke a pin in the switch lol
until i can get another switch, it's not gonna go off unless i disconnect it from the battery. At least its only on when my low beams are on
Old 08-04-2012, 06:41 AM
8th Gear

Well, um, thanks to the ones that offered advice and middle finger to the ones that have nothing better to do than sit on a car forum and make fun of people because they think they're too cool. I just came here for a little advice and "Duck" is being a "Dick".

Here's a question for you....why would someone that drives a Ferrari 308 be surfing an Acura TSX forum at 5pm on a Thursday afternoon? Sounds like someone needs a job....or a girlfriend....or both.

Guess I'll take my questions elsewhere from now on since I can't get away from too cool d-bags.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced

Hey SRider. Not sure where you live but I'm in Atlanta. I was at Sound Sensations yesterday in Marietta getting some quotes on stereo equipment and install. They also do other stuff and gave me a quote of $105 to do the fog light mod. It's actually not a terrible price. They install some relays and do it right with all work warrantied. PM me if you by chance happen to be in the ATL area and I'll give you all the info. Take care brotha.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 AM

srider...think what you may, but I'm simply trying to show that light pollution, of the sort caused by all the extra lights ricers and such have on, is a problem for a number of drivers. In particular, those with vison surgery or aging eyes.

As for being a "Dick", my opinion is just a valuable as any other on this board, and I may express it.

Don't know why you maybe failed to notice that the highest paying jobs often have non-standard hours or workdays. I could make that inot a jab at you, but why bother.

As for going elsewhere, feel free. But I suggest you come back here for TSX info. The updates many people post on issues is valuable, and if you have a PROBLEM, people help. If you ask about a change, people will give their opinion too.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 AM
8th Gear

Thanks Mack. I'm in the Gwinnett area and haven't heard of that place but thanks for the info. You're right, not a bad price considering they warranty the work. It's not something I have to do but wondered how difficult it was. Back in the day I played around with stereos and such and I'm not scared to do it, just don't have the time to be honest.

Steve
Old 08-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Actually, SRider started the thread to ask if anyone knew how to wire the fogs. Not if they preferred it or not. The opinion you've given here was unwanted and muddied the threat with non-relevant information. Now if he had posted pics of fogs on with no low beams and asked for opinions, that would have been another story.

Steve very cool bro. Always surprises me how many board folks from all makes are in the Atlanta area. The place I mentioned has been around for quite some time and they have an interesting wall with all the celebrities cars they have worked on. They had a 10 day waiting list for the audio work I was getting quoted there so these guys are very busy with a reputable name. Good luck in whatever direction you choose. Cheers!~
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 PM

Synopsis:

I know why he started it...I also know I commented in the hope he would think about the plan...then fading posted a link...you commented...others agreed with my view...you disagreed...we discussed....then srider just decided to flip me off and call me a dick.

Summary:

Srider posted and got an answer...he also heard an opinion or two pro and con...then he elected to start calling names. As for non-relevant data, the simple fact that he should check local laws because an improperly installed or wired set of light might be illegal cannot be considered irrelevent.

Comment:

Drag your butt over to the huge number of topics where I've posted input on problems, relayed Service Manual data and even typed out long diagnositic procedures. Than, and only then, if you want to call me a troll, go for it.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Op:

DD might not have been as tactful as he could have been at the start, but we all have our opinions and are free to express them (of course, as long as they don't violate the forum rules). You might be willing to disrespect other people's opinions by sticking up your middle finger at them. If so, bite your tongue if you happen to get it in the future when you express your own opinions.

With that being said, we are car enthusiasts on a forum. As such, we tend to want to make our cars unique and personal. However, please note that the mod you are planning to undertake may be illegal in your location. Car manufacturers could easily wire the fog lights so that they light up separately. Instead, they wire the fog lights to turn on only when the headlights are on. This is because in many states, there are laws that require that the headlights be on whenever the fog lights are on (if the fog lights warrant being on due to environmental conditions, then the head lights should be on too). Car manufacturers would not be able to sell their cars in an area if it did not comply to the laws of that area.

Although law enforcement officers in your area probably don't pull over and ticket people for minor violations (such as the one you are intending to modify onto your car), it will give them "Probable Cause" in the event that they want to pull you over. For example, although people are not ticketed for not having their front license plates mounted, it is the reason that officers use when pulling someone over and citing them. They cannot pull people over without probable cause, so they will use whatever they can (especially if you are not breaking any traffic laws). You will just be giving them the ability to pull you over. You never know if they are having a bad day, think that you are suspicious, or if they are due for their performance evaluation (they don't have quotas ;-P).

Originally Posted by mlittleton
Actually, SRider started the thread to ask if anyone knew how to wire the fogs. Not if they preferred it or not. The opinion you've given here was unwanted and muddied the threat with non-relevant information. Now if he had posted pics of fogs on with no low beams and asked for opinions, that would have been another story.
His opinion is warranted. The mod has the potential to make one's car illegal (ie: not road-worthy) in the eyes of local laws. A future owner may come across this thread in a search years down the line and might elect to doing the mod without knowing the consequences. Forum threads should strive to be informative and inclusive of all related data, whether they are positive or negative. If DD had played devil's advocate (from his perspective) and instead outlined the actual steps needed, it would have been vital that someone else come along and point out the consequences. It's like having a disclaimer on a DIY guide freeing the author from liability. By the way, you have angel lights...for a long time I thought they were just a new type of headlight (until I finally saw someone with the headlights actually on). Perhaps you haven't been hassled because your local cops aren't informed in the same way I wasn't: everyone has their own vehicle brand preferences and may have never owned (or desired) a BMW. My BMW didn't have them when I used to drive one years ago.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents

I would also like to be able to turn on the fog lights without the headlights. The reason is, when it's foggy you don't want your friggin' headlights on! Fog lights are mounted below the bumper for one reason: so that the reflection coming back doesn't blind you. Wiring the switch so that you have to have both headlights and fog lights on is stupid.

However, I understand it's one of those federal regulations that we all know and love. What this country needs is more federal regulation, not!! /rant
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Advanced

It's not illegal in Georgia. Cheers!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 AM
10th Gear

If someone can get me a wiring diagram from the FSM i can look at a better solution. I designed a no cut one for the 6th gen civic that many are still using today. It was a simple switching of 2 wires in the steering column, no cutting, no running wires and 100% reversible.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Instructor

The instructions are on the thread I posted before:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675628

Read through the whole thread to make sure you don't eff up, I did this mod with the HID foglights about 3 years ago:
Fog lights 2008 TSX, can you wire to work alone?-orp5e.jpg
Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 PM
10th Gear

I see it but from my experience with this and other vehicles i know theres more then 1 way to skin a cat usually. That method involves cutting the factory wiring, this is not a good thing because it makes many people nervous and is much harder to repair incase of screwup. I prefer a no cut and reversible option which i may be able to find with a wiring diagram.