"Easter Eggs"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by larchmont
It's supposed to be 10 minutes, but I think I found that on my car you don't get that much grace. But great either way.
To Larch: The 10 min grace period cancels itself if any door is opened. That might be why yours is unforgiving, Larch.

To everyone: When all else fails, RTFM :P
Old 07-28-2003, 10:48 AM
More On

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
To Larch: The 10 min grace period cancels itself if any door is opened. That might be why yours is unforgiving, Larch.....
Yes -- thanks Clutch!
Old 07-28-2003, 11:19 AM
HIP
Intermediate

This one is more an FYI than an Easter Egg, in all Hondas, including Acuras when you leave the key in the ignition and open the door the beep sequence you here is Morse code for the letter "H."
Old 07-28-2003, 11:26 AM
More On

Originally posted by HIP
This one is more an FYI than an Easter Egg, in all Hondas, including Acuras when you leave the key in the ignition and open the door the beep sequence you here is Morse code for the letter "H."
Great get!!! (How many people know that?) I'd call that an Easter Egg.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:27 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey sheik..nice one on the stealth mode thing.

Hip ... are you serous about the morse code thing? Thats pretty cool.

Some of you gotta RTFM though.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:24 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

New to me... you can unload all of the CDs in the changer one at a time with the car off.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:27 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by jcg878
New to me... you can unload all of the CDs in the changer one at a time with the car off.
That just reminded me. We can have 6 cds in the changer, but our cd compartment only has room to hold 5 cd cases. Argg.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:00 PM
HIP
Intermediate

Most know the interior lights turn on and fade to black if you don't reopen a door. But have you noticed when you open a door, or unlock with the remote, the interior lights (headliner) will come on 100% bright and after you close the doors they instantly dim about 10% - 20%?

Only noticed it while detailing the car and thought the 30% window tint was causing it until I was sat inside and realized they do go dim after closing the door.

Now I need to check the fridge to see if the light inside really does go off? :thinking:
Old 08-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by fdl
That just reminded me. We can have 6 cds in the changer, but our cd compartment only has room to hold 5 cd cases. Argg.
If you don't use the jewel cases but get the CaseLogic or tyvek sleeves, it holds about 15-20
Old 08-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by HIP
when you leave the key in the ignition and open the door the beep sequence you here is Morse code for the letter "H."
The letter H is just 4 beeps "dit dit dit dit" - is that really morse code or just a coincidence?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:33 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by hobbestec
The letter H is just 4 beeps "dit dit dit dit" - is that really morse code or just a coincidence?
I listened for that "code" tonight.. and I thought it was just three beeps. Sounds like a coincidence.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Cruisin'

Has anyone figured out how to display the time on the song that the cd player is playing?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:32 AM
More On

Originally posted by image
Has anyone figured out how to display the time on the song that the cd player is playing?
This probably isn't much help, but -- if, during "play," you hit "forward" or "reverse" (without going out of the "play" mode, ya know what I mean?), the time will be shown.

Really we'd like to be able to do it without having to do that.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Yeah, that would be nice to find out..
Old 08-05-2003, 11:31 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by fdl
Actually you can fit in 6, but you have to take out the bottom rubber liner.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

Intermittent Wiper "Easter Egg"

I don't think that it qualifies as an "Easter Egg", but when you are using the wipers on intermittent and you stop the car the wipers will do a quick wipe of the windshield as soon as you take your foot off of the gas.

I never had a car that did this. I think that it is very elegent in its simplcity. It makes a lot sense to me. Why didn't anyone do this before?
Old 08-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Racer

If you start to drive off with the E-brake up the car will start to "beep". It reminds you to shut off the brake.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Every time I am in my car I am playing around trying to figure out a way to do it. That's how I got the lights off easter egg I posted earlier in the thread!!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Cruisin'

Every time I am in my car I am playing around trying to figure out a way to do it. That's how I got the lights off easter egg I posted earlier in the thread!!

That's what I'm doing too.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Whats neat is that when the intermittent wipers are on, when you slow below 10km/h, the time between wipes is doubled- so that while youre waiting at a long red light you dont hear the squeal of wipers wiping a super dry surface.

J.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Instructor

OK, OK, I got one.

When I put my key in the ignition and turn, nothing happens!! Oh sorry, that was my 2000 Jetta.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:16 PM
More On

Originally posted by elbodude
OK, OK, I got one.
When I put my key in the ignition and turn, nothing happens!! Oh sorry, that was my 2000 Jetta.
Welcome!

Not too many make their grand entrance with a funny.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by bowersan
Whats neat is that when the intermittent wipers are on, when you slow below 10km/h, the time between wipes is doubled- so that while youre waiting at a long red light you dont hear the squeal of wipers wiping a super dry surface.

J.
That's called speed sensitive wipers. It only happens if you have your intermittant setting all the way fo the fastest (least time lapse) setting. With it in that setting your wipers will automatically go to the low setting when you reach a certain speed.
Maybe you are talking about something else??
Old 08-07-2003, 06:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This isn't really an "function" type easter egg, but more practical piece that most of you might not have seen. Look under the seat belt guides on the front pillars (you know... the adjustable height piece). You'll see a metal piece... those are usually plastic on most cars and get real crapped up over time. I thought it was a great detail.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Advanced

The "turn the key to the left and the windows go up" feature is too slick. My wife's Passat can open and close all the windows and the sunroof with the key in the door. Now was thinkin' the TSX is cooler, 'cause I can do that AND roll the windows down remotely.

But, on the TSX the sunroof doesn't close! All the windows go up, but the sunroof doesn't close!!

It just started to rain outside, so I ran out thinkin, "I'm gonna be so slick and just close the sunroof with the key." [run to the car] "Here we go" [key in the door, turn left, turn left again... wait 5 seconds...wait 10 seconds]

nothin

Did Acura forget about the sunroof? or does the car have to be unlocked first? Doh.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:43 PM
10th Gear

Found a new one yesterday when I was playing with Navigation. After you get into Diagnostics mode (Press Map Guide/Menu/Cancel all at once for a few sec), select the GPS Information option. This screen provides information regarding what satellites TSX is currently using. On this screen, keep the Menu button pressed for a few seconds and another screen pops up. This screen lists incoming data from each individual satellite. In addition you see the gps calculated speed and heading information. Enjoy :-)
Old 08-07-2003, 07:55 PM
HIP
Intermediate

Isn't it amazing how many little things we can become preoccupied with? How about a new board game... TSX Trivial Pursuit?

Maybe I've been an engineer too many years, but wondered if anyone else who owned a previous generation Honda (or Acura) has noticed anything different regarding the fuel door?

I'll give you a hint, no resins were sacraficed during its formation.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:33 PM
10th Gear

Ever since I got my car(a week ago) I have been playing around with the Navigation system and I have found some interesting things. I don't know why but I decided to try the Menu button on that screen and found that. It appears that keeping the Menu button pressed within any option on the Diagnostics screen will give additional information. I don't know if this has been discovered already, but on the diagnostics screen, select the Version option, and keep the Menu button pressed and it comes up with a list of programs on the DVD(Boot file etc.) I believe this would be very useful for someone who wants to hack the system.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:47 PM
10th Gear

Has anyone tried to use the "Card Load" option that appears within the Version option on the Diagnostics screen? I pressed it without a card in there, and the navigation system froze with an error on the screen. Restarted the card and it was fine. I am curious if one could use a Compact Flash card to load programs into the Navigation system?? I am sure that's what it's there for. It would be nice if we can load a media player for DVD(It IS a Windows CE OS) Just some thoughts....
Old 09-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by larchmont
This probably isn't much help, but -- if, during "play," you hit "forward" or "reverse" (without going out of the "play" mode, ya know what I mean?), the time will be shown.

Really we'd like to be able to do it without having to do that.
with the NAVI, all you have to do is hit the audio button. it shows it there.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by akaramali
Has anyone tried to use the "Card Load" option that appears within the Version option on the Diagnostics screen? I pressed it without a card in there, and the navigation system froze with an error on the screen. Restarted the card and it was fine. I am curious if one could use a Compact Flash card to load programs into the Navigation system?? I am sure that's what it's there for. It would be nice if we can load a media player for DVD(It IS a Windows CE OS) Just some thoughts....
The card load and CD load (err DVD load, or whatever that other option is) is for reloading the entire software image back into memory. When we get new software/updates for the system in a couple/few years, this is how they'll update the system.

As for the version list that displays, it is a useful FYI/diagnostic kinda thing... but the really useful guts are right on the DVD.

Nav rocks.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally posted by HIP
Isn't it amazing how many little things we can become preoccupied with? How about a new board game... TSX Trivial Pursuit?

Maybe I've been an engineer too many years, but wondered if anyone else who owned a previous generation Honda (or Acura) has noticed anything different regarding the fuel door?

I'll give you a hint, no resins were sacraficed during its formation.
Could it be the way the fuel cap 'hangs' on the door?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a 91 Accord and I think the fuel filler door may have been plastic?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:57 PM
HIP
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally posted by nuke
I had a 91 Accord and I think the fuel filler door may have been plastic?
Excellent response Nuke you win.

Not sure why Honda abandoned plastic, but in this case I'm glad they did.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by sheik28
Just found another one!!! I have NON-NAVI that's all I know this to work on.
If ya want that "stealth look" at night, it's easy!!
We all know about the dashboard dimmer, but alas! It doesn't work with the clock, radio display, and AC controls, and those stay on unless you shut them off, well except the clock of course.
Well here ya go....
When the radio is on just hold down the CD/AUX button for a few seconds and you will hear a beep through your speakers and voila! All lights are completely off yet all systems are functioning!!!
I discovered this when trying to figure out if it is possible to display the time on the song you're listening to when using the CD player. I know it's there, you see it when scanning a song. Why can't we change the display??!!
That's a feature from "Alpine". The factory systems in our Acura's and Hondas are Alpines. I know this because my 4runner has an aftermarket Alpine headunit and amps and speakers, that's a feature from Alpine. It's suppose to make your sound just "a little bit clearer". So far i have yet to notice the difference. But i think it's so that the processor inside the head unit can c oncentrate more on the music rather than having to process music and flash the little lights at the same itme.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:46 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
The speakers are all Pioneer. Are you sure the head is Alpine?
Old 09-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Racer

Originally posted by I-MOD
The speakers are all Pioneer. Are you sure the head is Alpine?
yep, it is an alpine. if u do not believe us search for it. i think this has be discussed before. oh the wonderful speakers in our cars are clipped on rather than screwed on. But they still sound great
Old 09-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Security Risk Easter Egg

Here's one for everyone to know about...

We're all given a code for the security of our radio on a plastic card in our owner's manual. However, did you know that this code is also inside the car's passenger compartment.

I removed mine, but its purpose is to make the code easy for maintenance people to find when they do work on the car.

I'll give everyone a hint: Look in the area of the glove box!!

Problem is, it also makes theft of the radio (not that I could imagine anyone would want to steal it) very simple.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:53 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Security Risk Easter Egg

Originally posted by moda_way
Here's one for everyone to know about...

We're all given a code for the security of our radio on a plastic card in our owner's manual. However, did you know that this code is also inside the car's passenger compartment.

I removed mine, but its purpose is to make the code easy for maintenance people to find when they do work on the car.

I'll give everyone a hint: Look in the area of the glove box!!

Problem is, it also makes theft of the radio (not that I could imagine anyone would want to steal it) very simple.

Come on. This can't be true! That would defeat the whole purpose of having this code. My dealer made such a big stink about not losing the code or else its a big problem etc, etc. Are you sure?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:15 PM
such a dirty birdy

Is someone stealing the radio really going to take the time to seek out and write down this code? I don't know, I've never stolen a radio, but my guess is they'd be in too much of a hurry.

Quick Reply: "Easter Eggs"?