does anyone on here actually think the tsx is a good car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
The OP is stereotyping the whole model based on a personal experience.
+1 on that. Also, that silver door trim is screaming "red flag" to me. How could you do "a lot" of research on a car and not notice that the silver door trim is not stock? I would have run away from a car like that.

Just because someone beat-up their TSX and handed it off does not mean the TSX is a bad car. A LOT of evidence exists to the contrary.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
+1 on that. Also, that silver door trim is screaming "red flag" to me. How could you do "a lot" of research on a car and not notice that the silver door trim is not stock? I would have run away from a car like that.

Just because someone beat-up their TSX and handed it off does not mean the TSX is a bad car. A LOT of evidence exists to the contrary.
Sadly, he did the chrome pillars himself to "jazz" up the car a bit.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I hate my car
Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas mileage

I have an 04 Automatic with 81K on it. Bought it new and drive almost all freeway. I commute about 50 miles each way 5 days a week and have never gotten better than 25 mpg. Run premium gas and have changed oil every 6 - 8 K miles from new with Mobil syntetic (?) oil.

When I was at dealer last week talking to them about the 09 a salesman told me that TSX's were getting 35 mpg on highway..... I asked him which ones? since mine never got anywhere near that.

I don't have a lead foot and use cruise at 80mph most of the commute.....

I have changed the wheels and tires to 18inch with low profile tires.... but just within the last 6 months so I don't think that could be the cause of the low gas mileage.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep, yep, yep. So the answer to the OP's question (if it was genuine) must be, "YES, most of us think it's a good car. You're in a very small minority. Time to fix those problems and resell your vee-hick-all so you can up your scorecard to 16-21 cars owned."

And oh BTW, I average between 27-29 mpg (by the MID) during regular driving, and the MID reported about 33 mpg on road trips this past weekend. Read it an' weep.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Pro

Wow, looks like a good ol' fashioned witch hunt is in full swing here.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by johnstelting
I have an 04 Automatic with 81K on it. Bought it new and drive almost all freeway. I commute about 50 miles each way 5 days a week and have never gotten better than 25 mpg. Run premium gas and have changed oil every 6 - 8 K miles from new with Mobil syntetic (?) oil.

When I was at dealer last week talking to them about the 09 a salesman told me that TSX's were getting 35 mpg on highway..... I asked him which ones? since mine never got anywhere near that.

I have changed the wheels and tires to 18inch with low profile tires.... but just within the last 6 months so I don't think that could be the cause of the low gas mileage.
i get around 33mpg driving 75mph on the highway.

now i only get 29-31mpg since i changed to new goodyear eagle hr tires.

i have almost 56K on my car. i also sometimes redline the TSX to 7rpms. maybe your tire pressure is low?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:19 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Sadly, he did the chrome pillars himself to "jazz" up the car a bit.
He's clearly mistaken...or just retarded, sorry but anyone who puts chrome door pillars on their TSX lacks some serious creditability
Old 04-03-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Time to fix those problems and resell your vee-hick-all so you can up your scorecard to 16-21 cars owned."

Or go put some miles on the 3-seireis and enjoy the legendary long-term quality that BMW's are known for...then report back. We'll be anxious to hear.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by cls1000
yeah i'm pretty sure...wait let me think.....yeah.....pretty sure this is what i drive to work everyday.....

but thanks for clearing that up. somedays i think maybe, just maybe it looks like an impala?!
The EXIF data on this pic (IM000273.JPG) indicated it was taken 2006:05:17 with an HP PhotoSmart 43X camera. Either your camera's clock is wrong, or you "borrowed" this pic.

Originally Posted by cls1000 (1-12-08)
just picked up an 04 tsx, auto with nav with 85k on it for my new work car...car is in great condition. no dings or dents, the interior doesn't even have any scratches in it. so far i love the car, everything works and it's quiet, no squeaks, rattles, nothing. anyway i'm pretty particular when it comes to maintenance and ...tia
That poor car. What'd you DO to it to be in such rotten shape in 3 months.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

Davidspalding...

THAT'S HILARIOUS!!!

I don't know what he is saying.. but wanted to say thanks to you and other members of this board for all the great input... and I just recently purchased an '06 Certified tsx.. and for all of 2 days of driving.. I love it.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a problem, no doubt, no question.

Maybe some fuel system cleaner?
Maybe better tire pressure?
Maybe a K&N air filter (properly maintained)?

55mph is where our cars are most efficient.
at 80mph they say you're running 25% less efficient than possible.
every mph over 55 loses 1% in efficiency. or so "they" say.

however, I've never heard of such low numbers as yours.
what kind of gas do you use?
when ws the last time you used a fuel system cleaner?

sounds like the maintenance hasn't been kept up, otherwise the gas
mileage would be on par with everyone else's.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MMsTSX
You have a problem, no doubt, no question.

Maybe some fuel system cleaner?
Maybe better tire pressure?
Maybe a K&N air filter (properly maintained)?

55mph is where our cars are most efficient.

however, I've never heard of such low numbers as yours.
what kind of gas do you use?
when ws the last time you used a fuel system cleaner?

sounds like the maintenance hasn't been kept up, otherwise the gas
mileage would be on par with everyone else's.
I agree, there is a problem somewhere. I got 35mpg on my last roadtrip at 75mph down to DC with heavy snow tires on.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by cgord
... wanted to say thanks to you and other members of this board for all the great input... and I just recently purchased an '06 Certified tsx.. and for all of 2 days of driving.. I love it.
This is what makes this board a daily addiction for me ... even after 9 months of ownership. I keep learning from the old hands here. There are some pretty cool guys running the joint, as well. (/me wipes a little brown off his nose.)

Be sure to check the "Easter eggs" thread,* some Wash and Wax FAQ(s), the DIY FAQ (links to other threads). Of course, for my own part, I'd suggest you get that cabin air/pollen filter out and see if they changed it for the sale, or if it's looking a little used. I didn't look at mine for a couple of months after the sale, and didn't know if it was new or just put in at 30,000 miles (5,000 before the sale).

* Here's a taste. Hold down the HandsFreeLink "hang up" button for roughly 10 seconds with the key in II or III positions ... to hear the self test.

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
... 55mph is where our cars are most efficient.
Consumer reports had an article I'm looking for now in which they tested, and proved this,... read this while I'm looking....

Originally Posted by Consumer Reports (July, 2004)
Get going. Don’t let the car sit and “warm up” after it’s started; engines warm up faster while you’re driving.

Be smooth. Steady driving makes best use of your fuel. Avoid hard acceleration or braking. Keep your speed reasonable--gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph.

Don’t be a top-loader. At highway speeds, more than half of engine power goes to overcoming aerodynamic drag. A loaded roof rack can decrease fuel efficiency by 5 percent.

Get regular. If your car specifies regular fuel, don’t get premium because you think your engine will run better.

Watch inflation. A tire that is underinflated by only 2 pounds per square inch will increase fuel use by 1 percent. [They negate this in 2007]

Stay tuned. A poorly maintained engine can cut gas mileage 10 to 20 percent.
(Cls1000, please note that last item.)

Ah, here t'is:
Originally Posted by Consumer Reports (December, 2007)
Slow down. Aerodynamic drag exponentially increases on the highway the faster you drive. We tested our vehicles' fuel economy at 55, 65, and 75 mph. Driving at 75 mph instead of 65 reduced the Camry's gas mileage from 35 mpg to 30. For the Mountaineer, fuel economy fell from 21 mpg to 18. Slowing down to 55 mph improved the gas mileage by similar margins: The Camry improved to 40 mpg and the Mountaineer to 24 mpg.

TIPS THAT DON'T HAVE MUCH EFFECT ON FUEL EFFICIENCY
Keep tires inflated. Our tests show that driving on moderately underinflated tires is more of a safety concern than a fuel-economy issue. We set the pressure in all four tires to 10 psi below that recommended by the automaker. This reduced highway fuel economy slightly, by about 1 mpg for the Camry and by a much smaller margin for the Mountaineer. But more importantly, underinflated tires provide much less grip for turning and stopping and run much hotter. Overheated tires wear faster and can lead to a blowout.....

Keep your air filter clean. According to our tests, driving with a dirty air filter in modern engines doesn't have a significant impact on fuel economy, as it did with older engines. While fuel economy didn't change, however, power output did. Both cars accelerated much more slowly with a dirty air cleaner. We drove both vehicles with their air cleaners restricted and found little difference in gas mileage with either engine. That's because modern engines use computers to precisely control the air/fuel ratio, depending on the amount of air coming in through the filter. Reducing airflow, therefore, caused the engines to automatically reduce the amount of fuel being used.
And finally this (I like this one)
... Air conditioning places more load on the engine, which can affect fuel economy. But some auto journalists say that opening the windows at highway speeds can affect fuel economy even more by disrupting the vehicle's aerodynamics. In our tests we found that neither makes enough of a difference in fuel economy to worry about. Using air conditioning while driving at 65 mph reduced gas mileage in both vehicles by about 1 mpg-it might make more of a difference if you drive faster. The effect of opening the windows at 65 mph was not even measurable. Because air conditioning can help keep you comfortable and alert and because most modern cars use it to keep windows defrosted, we suggest that the small trade-off in fuel economy for increased safety is worthwhile.
This is an example of content available to Consumer Reports Online subscribers. Worth the $ if you're interested in these reports.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:15 PM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
thats some good info david, thanks.

i really noticed my gas mileage go down when i was setting the cruise control on 90 mph when i was on the interstate, so i backed off a little and usually keep it at around 75 - 80 mph now and still get like 29 mpg hwy.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Oh well it's

<------ Proud 04 owner here, only issue I had was with the passenger side door lock sticking. I'm averaging 28-30 MPG, never had an oil leak, all lights are still on in my control panel and guages. I think the OP is here just to start shit or he has it in for a TSX owner.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Do you have a long "city" commute as well? ie. What percentage of the 50 miles is city roads? Also do you gas hard from stop at a light?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Oh well it's

Best & Worst Used Cars
Reliable models to look for—and troublesome ones to avoid.

Is it time to replace your car? Owners of 27 percent of the vehicles in our latest Annual Car Reliability Survey acquired them used last year, and they're definitely on to something. Data from our exclusive survey, conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center, show that hundreds of used-car models provide good reliability. And they can be safe, fuel efficient, and affordable.

Used vehicles are often some of the best values you'll find because you sidestep the biggest expense associated with buying a new car: depreciation.

For example, a seven-year-old Lexus RX SUV, a safe and reliable vehicle that typically costs $40,000 when new, can be found for $12,000 to $14,000. And young drivers don't have to settle for a new small car like the Toyota Yaris when they can find a fairly new, roomier, and better equipped used vehicle in the same price range, such as a Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, or Toyota Camry.

To minimize the risks, look for vehicles that have proved to be reliable. The following lists of models from 1998 through 2007 will steer you to the gems (and away from the duds) among the thousands of used vehicles on the market.

The Best of the best and Worst of the worst are based on our larger lists of Reliable used cars and Used cars to avoid (both available to subscribers).

These comprehensive lists give you a rundown of all the models that were found, from our data, to be above or below average in reliability. Owners reported on any serious problems they had had with their cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickup trucks in the previous year.

BEST OF THE BEST
These are models that have performed well in CR road tests over the years, and have proved to have several or more years of better-than-average reliability. Listed alphabetically.

Acura Integra
Acura MDX
Acura RL
Acura RSX
Acura TL
Acura TSX
BMW M3
Buick LaCrosse
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Honda Civic Hybrid
Honda CR-V
Honda Element
Honda Odyssey
Honda Pilot
Honda S2000
Infiniti FX
Infiniti G20
Infiniti G35
Infiniti I30, I35
Infiniti QX4
Lexus ES
Lexus ES
Lexus GS (RWD)
Lexus GX
Lexus IS
Lexus LS
Lexus RX
Lexus SC
Lincoln Continental
Lincoln Town Car
Mazda Millenia
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mazda Protegé
Mazda3
Mitsubishi Endeavor
Mitsubishi Outlander
Nissan Altima
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Murano
Pontiac Vibe
Porsche 911 (except '03)
Scion tC
Scion xB
Subaru Baja
Subaru Forester
Subaru Impreza
Subaru Legacy
Subaru Outback
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Camry (except '07 V6)
Toyota Camry Solara
Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Echo
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Prius
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna
Toyota Tundra (except '07 V8 4WD)
Volvo S60

WORST OF THE WORST
These vehicles showed multiple Used Car Verdicts that were much worse than average, according to our survey respondents. They consistently had more problems than other models overall.

Buick Rendezvous (AWD)
Buick Terraza
Chevrolet Astro
Chevrolet Blazer
Chevrolet Colorado (4WD)
Chevrolet S-10 Pickup (4WD)
Chevrolet Uplander
Chevrolet Venture
Chrysler Town & Country (AWD)
Dodge Grand Caravan (AWD)
GMC Canyon (4WD)
GMC Jimmy
GMC S-15 Sonoma (4WD)
GMC Safari
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Kia Sedona
Land Rover Discovery, LR3
Lincoln Aviator
Mercedes-Benz SL
Nissan Armada (4WD)
Nissan Titan (4WD)
Oldsmobile Bravada
Oldsmobile Silhouette
Pontiac Aztek
Pontiac G6
Pontiac Montana, Trans Sport, Montana SV6
Saturn Relay
Volkswagen Cabriolet
Volkswagen Jetta Sedan (turbo)
Volkswagen Jetta Sedan (V6)
Volkswagen Touareg

About these lists
The lists on these pages are compiled from overall reliability data covering 1998-2007 models with above-average or much-below-average reliability. CR Good Bets and Bad Bets include only the models for which we have sufficient data for at least three model years. Models that were brand-new in 2006 or 2007 do not appear. Problems with the engine major, engine cooling, transmission major, and drive system were weighted more heavily than other problems.

The full Ratings and recommendations for more than 200 vehicles, along with the latest information on thousands of other products and services, are available to ConsumerReports.org subscribers. Find out how to subscribe today.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh well it's

No wonder he gets shitty gas milage

i've tried everything from 87 to 93 and mileage is identical nomatter what, so i just use 87. not worth spending the extra money on premium if you have no use for it. it's only a honda after all. would prob. run on crisco.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Poser / Fanboi

I feel like it's well known, but I suppose it bears repeating: drag increases with the square of velocity. Top speed makes a difference. There is 1.5 times the wind drag on your car at 80 compared to at 65. Try your commute at 65 and see what kind of mileage you get.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Your TSX is a piece of Sh****....Does not make sense to me, it was abused. Go for a TL dude
Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 PM

I feel like this thread is just beating a dead carcass.

cls1000
Old 04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
B A N N E D

i love my tsx
In fact, this is my second one!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 AM
10th Gear

Those Chrome Pillars

Had a question, are those Chrome Pillars on the doors, are they ACURA OEM? or aftermarket?

Also, can they be taken off? My Certified Car came with those also, wasn't happy with it, but the car and mileage was very good, so I bought it. Now, wondering how I can get those things off.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
i was under the assumption before i bought it that honda/acura were decent cars. i've had prob. 15-20 cars and this thing just makes me laugh. headlights get moisture in them. seat slides forward when i hit the brakes. seat squeaks. buttons on the steering wheel squeak. handling is terrible. the turning radius is so large that, due to the construction going on in my neighborhhod there are roads i can't turn on because it doesn't turn sharp enough (that is EXTREMELY annoying) a/c works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. it appears my oil leak, the more i look at it, is coming from the front main bearing, which after doing some research, seems to be a pretty common problem (but not as much as the oil trail my car leaves) and due to this leak my belt is covered in oil so it makes noises as well. power steering pump groans. best mileage i can get is 250 on a tank which works out to roughly 18.3 mpg for me. the interior materials are very hard and cheap feeling (this surprised me as i figured it would at least be as high of quality as say, a ford fusion inside) stereo reception isn't that great. i've had to replace virtually every bulb in my dash from being burned out. i just bought this car as a work beater/winter ride and i'm starting to wonde if it's going to be reliable enough to get me those 4 miles i drive to work every day. first honda product, and most likely my last. thank god the weather is starting to get nice out so i can get my 01 3 series out of the garage. (of course if it doesn't get stuck in the oil pool in my driveway)

on the upside, i do like driving it!

and that pretty much satisfies my desire to rant for the day, have a great one!

ugh.
Use some sense in purchasing your car next time.

Because you bought a car with some doodoo chrome pillars.

And if you didn't notice any of these things before purchasing your car, like how "shitty" the interior is, how the headlights get condensation, and how the drivers seat slides forward while braking, then you're a dumbass.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 AM

I feel like this thread is just beating a dead carcass.

cls1000
Just my but maybe ... ??*

* Now that I've had my fun.