does anyone on here actually think the tsx is a good car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to handling... the TSX is one of the best handling front wheel drive cars ever made. Even with the mild A-Spec suspension it handles very well, and from what I've seen at Buttonwillow Raceway and Laguna Seca, they are very capable when modded.

Something fishy about your post... you complain about tons of problems that indicate either a lemon or a car that was treated like shit, and then say that you enjoy driving it.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

OP sounds like a troll...kinda shocking that his car seems to have ALL the known issues with the car...even the very minor ones. btw, they are all fixable..you would've gotten more accomplished if you took your car to the dealership instead of ranting about all your susposed problems with the car.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Advanced

I have an '04 and the only problem I have ever had with it is a bit of condensation in the headlamps, fixed at no cost.

The car was a lease before I bout it CPO. The previous/original owner took very well care of my TSX and it is in great condition for being 4 years old. I have to say, I do not believe half of the things that you say is wrong with your car and the other half is just plain shitty for you. To top it off, all of it can be fixed.

Also, I just want to clarify... You are 33 years old. Assuming you had purchased your first car when you were 16, you have owned 20 cars in the last 17 years. Granted you said the TSX is your work vehicle so I will go ahead an note that you have another car. therefore you pretty much changed out cars once every year. Kind of sounds like you treat your cars like crap if you need to get rid of them so often.

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
Oh, and I don't believe all you say either.
I seriously doubt you had to replace the LED bulbs in your dash.
I'm almost positive you're lying about that one. They're not just light
bulbs that burn out and need replacing. And you can't just switch them either.
So I call bull on that one.

A major oil leak too? And you still drive on it?
That car had some trouble to start with, being a first model year.
And you plus the previous owner(s) have just beat it into the ground.

Go buy a Ford.
+1
Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by rex.
Originally Posted by cls1000
just picked up an 04 tsx, auto with nav with 85k on it for my new work car...car is in great condition. no dings or dents, the interior doesn't even have any scratches in it. so far i love the car [...]
Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Smile

I have an 04 that i bought used.

Best car ever.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Hail Hail

I have a 2004. Not everyone has problems with them Only problem so far is with the driver's seat moving (SLIGHTLY) when I turn sometimes, not when I stop . Not familiar at all with the problems you've state. I'm very happy with my car so far!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'04 purchased new in Dec of '03. So far the only "problem" I've had is some minor interior rattles. Clips installed on headlights and trunk harness repair were covered under product update campaigns.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
400,000 miles with Honda and Acura cars. 60k with the TSX itself. Only had 1 problem with Acura and Honda in 400,000 miles- the OEM catalytic converter started to deteriorate on my Integra @150,000 miles, 8 years into ownership. Sold both the 90 Civic and 98 Integra I owned to family members, and they still drive them today, with no problems.

My family and I have owned German and American cars too, and they haven't had the track record Honda and Acura has had.

I don't care if the OP is telling the truth or not. To be honest, its just words on a message board. What irks me is that the tone of the title implies that we are all being fooled by Acura about the TSX.

I'll stick to the track record Honda/Acura has had in my family, and leave the OP to his own problems. All I can do is wish him good luck.

OP, good luck.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 AM
10th Gear

Come on guys, he's a troll.. prob from the IS forum.. don't pay attention to him..
Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 AM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Dude, I love everything about my TSX b/c I make the best out of it. The only thing I don't like about my TSX is the wimpy torque. I'm sure other's would agree. Value wise the TSX is off the sheezy.

You also bought it used where it probably was never broken in correctly, treated like shit, never maintained, and fed regular and not premium gas. You'd be surprised at what else could of been done to your car before you.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 AM
Intermediate

I have had an 04 Euro Lux (Australian equivalent to TSX) and did 80,000ks in that with no need ever to have the car attended to other than the regular services. I/we loved it. I wanted another but our company took Honda and Mazda off the list that year so I leased a Subaru 3.0 RB and did 45,000ks in that. Had problems with rattles from the start, finish around the sunroof was crap and was never properly fixed, the car rode very poorly over anything but a sheet of glass. Left the company and bought new a late 06 Euro Lux which has now done 40,000ks and again has never given me any problem at all. Am I just lucky? I don't think so as I have a number of friends here with Honda Accords, Civics and Integras. All love their cars and have troublefree lives with them. Here in Australia Honda is regularly one of the top 3 quality and reliability survey winners.

Clearly this guy got something that someone else treated like crap and clearly he is exaggerating about some of this stuff including his ownership history. Also if he is in the "industry" for God's sake why doesn't he stop griping and get the thing seen to.
Re quality of materials if this post was read here or in Britain it would get a laugh for sure. An American criticising the quality of materials in a Japanese or any other car for that matter when US cars are renowned world wide for their poor fit and finish, crappy dash and door trim plastics etc etc not to mention their handling.
We have Chrysler here and whilst we love some of the cars the looks of the Sebring with the corrugated bonnet get a laugh from most people ( I think they have sold about a dozen of them) and you only have to sit ion a Crossfire, Voyager and even the 300 to see the quality is not all it could be. Then there are the Fords that we fortunately don't get but many of them are on ugly pills for sure!
Better this guys just quits his whining and sells the TSX and moves on.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own an 05 auto 55k+miles, bought it in 1/05. The only problems I had:

Humidity in light replaced under warranty.
Rattle in steering wheel, repaired under warranty.
Bad battery, replaced under warranty.

Other than those minor problems, the car is great I love it and plan on keeping it until it dies.

My sister bought a used 07 BMW 5 series late last year, and she has already taken her car several times for problems. Mainly electrical, but I'm not going to say that all BMW's are bad cars.

Bottom line is I love my TSX, and there is not any other car out there that I like (at this time). Oh and about the styling, each person has there taste, I work in Beverly Hills, and there are BMW 3 series everywhere, honestly they look very boring to me.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Old School TSX Owner

I had an 05 TSX with no virtually no problems. Only thing was the rattling in the doors every now and then, usually during hard driving, but other then that, it was a great fun car to drive. I loved the car so much that I turned it in at the end of my lease and got a 2008 TSX just a few weeks ago. This one is even better. No door rattling, all the extras that didn't come with my 05 like bluetooth, the onboard computer, and the aux jack. The TPMS I could do without, but other then that, the car has been perfect.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The dude hasn't even been back to respond since yesterday....
Old 03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Pink Domo

omg are you kidding me? do you not read online forums? prob. half the people on this site alone have had this problem, and i've found many many posts on other's about excessive oil consumption as well as the crank seal causing major oil leaks. i did do research before i got it and every problem i see on all the diff forums that are widely reported are all problems that i'm having as well. it's not like an acura is a premium car, and i don't expect it to be, but i never thought i would have all these issues with it. main reason i bought it, i wanted something that got better economy than my awd subaru did, and no such luck in that dept. either...no, my car was not modded. that's what i do for a living, and i think i would know lol....the 32% tint and the chrome pillars i did myself to try and brighten up the rather dull look of this car. i think they look like trash with out them, so to each his own. even the critics at all the major car magazines have commented on the boring looks of this car, so it's not just myself with that opinion. this thing needs a little style
I think people have already replied in regards to having an 04 with known first-year issues but why would you care what critics think about the looks of the car? Esp if it was going to be a "beater" or a work car.

Sounds like someone who didn't do his research or is having buyer's remorse.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
The dude hasn't even been back to respond since yesterday....
Sure sign of a troll.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Instructor

lol. at least THIS explains why he gets 18.3 mpg. (has owned 15-20 cars and doesn't know the purpose of high octane fuel). https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=48
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Is waiting in

he'll be back and he'll post "APRIL FOOLS, I love this car!"
Old 03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

then we'll give him the most unoriginal april fools joke, being that its not even april 1st yet.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 PM
hates the winter

After reading this thread, then re-reading the OP's posts, and other posts outside of this thread, I have come to the conclusion that he is the type of person that THINKS he knows about cars.

If he does, or does not have all of these problems it has already been stated many times why. Of course the 04's had more problems, but none that serious, and not that many.

I browse this forum because my father owns an 05 CGP TSX auto/non-navi with 56k on it. Only issue was bad battery, driver seat heater inop, and clips on the headlights all covered under warranty.

These are excellent cars, and have great dealer service/satisfaction. I'm sure his BMWhy has a great track record as well. lol Talk about problems, and the expense to fix them.

Ohh and don't start with looks, because the 00-04 BMW's look like something that was created in 1995. Very dated looks.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't like the car then sell it! The end!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
ANTZ

He still wouldn't want to sell it coz afterall he likes driving it. TSX Rulez!!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 PM
hates the winter

I think the TSX is a great car. It's very comfortable, and sporty, looks very agressive and offers a lot. The 04 did come a lil stripped, but the 06-08 is the one to have. Lots of nice features. My dad feels jipped with is 05. lol

This is just one person who had a bad experience, or a mistreated car. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You all know you have a great car. The aftermarket is great for it as well. Gets great gas mileage without having to own a base model civic. Not many other cars are as nice that offer good gas mileage as well.

Stock, I feel the car handles great. I can only imagine with a good suspension setup.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mahylo
Come on guys, he's a troll.. prob from the IS forum.. don't pay attention to him..
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Older. Wiser. Faster.

Yup, luv my '04 to pieces. Only issue was the shifting driver's seat which was fixed on the first try. Some minor rattles here and there but that's it. Great mileage. Great looks. Great price. Just plain great!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Still Lovin my 06

i've had none of the stated problems.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Still Lovin my 06

omg are you kidding me? do you not read online forums? prob. half the people on this site alone have had this problem, and i've found many many posts on other's about excessive oil consumption as well as the crank seal causing major oil leaks. i did do research before i got it and every problem i see on all the diff forums that are widely reported are all problems that i'm having as well. it's not like an acura is a premium car, and i don't expect it to be, but i never thought i would have all these issues with it. main reason i bought it, i wanted something that got better economy than my awd subaru did, and no such luck in that dept. either...no, my car was not modded. that's what i do for a living, and i think i would know lol....the 32% tint and the chrome pillars i did myself to try and brighten up the rather dull look of this car. i think they look like trash with out them, so to each his own. even the critics at all the major car magazines have commented on the boring looks of this car, so it's not just myself with that opinion. this thing needs a little style
ok, not sure what car magazines you read, but i read in car and driver back when i decided to purchase my TSX, and it was one of the top rated sedans. edmonds also had great reviews. cnet had great reviews.

as for the oil problems, as you can see by my 2500 posts, i've been on this thread a lot, again, no way "half" the users of this forum have that problem.

there are 3 TSXs in my building's garage, and one parked out on the street. i see no oil spots anywhere. so there's 4 vehicles to account for right there.

as for the 2004 headlights, you got your answer above about the TSB, go get them fixed. maybe the power seat was a problem, but other than squeeks, i've never read anything on the forum that eludes to the seat sliding forward while breaking.

the brake stuttering was also a TSB, and if your car has 88,000 miles on it, it's not because of the brakes, you should have asked the previous owner if he had the brakes/rotors replaced. you might want to look into that.

if you thought the car looked dull, why the hell did you buy it?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
maybe the power seat was a problem, but other than squeeks, i've never read anything on the forum that eludes to the seat sliding forward while breaking.
The sliding/shifting driver's seat was an issue with the early models (04 for sure, 05 not sure). I had it and a number of others did too. One trip to the dealer took care of it for me, covered under warranty, no questions asked. You might have joined the forum afterwards as I haven't seem any posts about it in quite a long time. I'm completely with you on your other points.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
My sliding seat was fixed, its been back for awhile. I've given up.

04's have had their fair share of problems (I should know I've had 2 all with the same problems) but they're far from a bad car.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
My sliding seat was fixed, its been back for awhile. I've given up.

04's have had their fair share of problems (I should know I've had 2 all with the same problems) but they're far from a bad car.
Mine got fixed with a new frame. Never returned.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by jlukja
The sliding/shifting driver's seat was an issue with the early models (04 for sure, 05 not sure). I had it and a number of others did too. One trip to the dealer took care of it for me, covered under warranty, no questions asked. You might have joined the forum afterwards as I haven't seem any posts about it in quite a long time. I'm completely with you on your other points.
exactly, that's why i said that maybe it was a problem, but i didn't see any posts about it. if it was the 04s mostly, i definitely joined after. i joined around july 2005 i think, looking for info on the 2005 vs the 2006, and the price differences.

i figured, sure, that's reasonable that could have been a problem, but i assume, just like the squeaks, that it's a simple trip to the dealer to fix. annoying a bit, but no biggie. either way, i don't believe the poster's claim that half the members of this board have the problem.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
i was under the assumption before i bought it that honda/acura were decent cars. ... and that pretty much satisfies my desire to rant for the day, have a great one!

ugh.
I think I know a troll when I read one.... Though....

... A few days ago (last week), a guy in a 2005 TSX drove through the car wsh I was drying mine at ... and started telling me his is the "worst engineered car I've ever had ... can't wait to get rid of it." He's been on thse boards, troubleshot all the issues, but none of his overall complaints about the construction are resolved. Funny, it LOOKED okay inside. I guess one in every few thousand are lemons. Honda/Acuras? Really?? ,:\
Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM

... best mileage i can get is 250 on a tank which works out to roughly 18.3 mpg for me.
BTW, in other threads you mentioned that you only drive the car to work, 4 miles (each way?), generally stop and go traffic,... which I suspect will adversely effect mileage.

And you put 87 octane gas in, which as has been described elsewhere will "work," but the anti-knocking functionality will ensure you get decreased performance and probably decreased gas efficiency.

Not trying to skewer you, just find reasonable factors effecting your complaint.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 PM
2008 Acura TSX

I love my 08.... going to age well with me
Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 PM

Maybe this is why you (claim to) have changed cars every year

Originally Posted by cls1000 (1-22-2008)
... i've always liked the look of the tsx and when i came across this one and the price seemed good, i went for it....
Originally Posted by cls1000 (3-30-2008)
... no, my car was not modded. that's what i do for a living, and i think i would know lol....the 32% tint and the chrome pillars i did myself to try and brighten up the rather dull look of this car. i think they look like trash with out them, so to each his own. even the critics at all the major car magazines have commented on the boring looks of this car, so it's not just myself with that opinion. this thing needs a little style
And again ...
Old 04-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Advanced

@ David, nice catch on the contradictory posts.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
This is the first person that I've EVER heard complain about the mechanical reliability of an Acura to the point of looking forward to driving a BMW. I would have believed it more if the rant was about that 01 3 series. That seems more plausable.

But, you really might have a lemon. If that car was modded, no telling how well they restored it before dumping it. If they had a bunch of engine mods they pulled out, no telling how they left things.

Sorry your're having a bad experience, but I would not translate that experience to Acuras or Hondas in general. Happy owners far outweigh unhappy ones by 1000 to 1, if not a lot more.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 AM

Now to my own experience ... bought a 2006 with 15 months in service, roughly 35,000 miles on the ODO. Was in swell condition (expected; it was a CPO). Shortly after pick-up, I noted the right passenger door window sill had "fallen," exposing the inner shelf behind it. Dealer fixed that as a warranty issue after 30 days (saved them money). Other than that, no problems. The fit and finish have been exemplary, the performance outstanding (no mechanical complaints).

The OP is stereotyping the whole model based on a personal experience. In my search for a new car, I read Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, Edmunds, and several other sites, and they were all unanimous in their appraisal of this TSX as a "good value" for an upscale car, and the "gateway car" for Acura. Other cars like the Jetta or A4 or 3-series had one or two things nicer, but all were $2000 or more higher MSRP, and others had detractors which the TSX didn't (reliability, mileage, that sort of thing).

The bulk of the posts here indicate owners are happy with car (discounting the "next time I'll buy" folks), and report minimal issues (per owner). Sure there are common issues, but there are only 2-3 that I can think of that are a real b**** to troubleshoot (transmission whine, steering shudder at 60 mph, some door rattles). All others are pretty simple to remedy.

The OP seems like a troll because he's complaining of ALL common complaints on a single car, and apparently not taking basic steps to remedy them. Oil leak?? I don't know any serious car enthusiast (or somoene in the biz) who wouldn't get that checked pronto, particularly on a car that's driven daily.

Note, I said "seems." I could be wrong. This could be complete candid reporting of problems. Or ... the account could've been hijacked by someone who's posting as the user (and hiding the post by not subscribing to the thread). I've see that before....

Based on the acidity of this post, it might not hurt for an admin to check if the e-mail address on the account has been changed recently, change the password, and send notice to the original e-mail account. Or just wait for the user to inquire.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my TSX in 2006 at 20k miles - it's an 04. I'm up to 42k right now and the only things I've had to fix are:

- driver's door actuator (100% warranty covered)
- heated seat backlight bulbs (100% warranty covered)

Not bad for 22k miles of ownership on a (now heavily modified) car if you ask me... and I commute in my car and it sees redline daily...

Quick Reply: does anyone on here actually think the tsx is a good car?