Discolouration on the shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003 | 10:53 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Discolouration on the shift knob

Alright- maybe im crazy but....

As we all know, I drive a 6mt (what other way is there to drive?)

Yesterday as I was enjoying the hot weather up here in Canada (24degrees celcius!) I decided i'd wash the car inside and out, a probable last time by hand until April.. (stupid cold weather)
As I was washing the interior, I noticed that my shift knob has a sort of 'stain' that wont rub off. It looks like my shift knob (only the metal portion) has sweat marks (same thing you get on tshirts that you wear on a hot day during the summer, minus the B.O.).

I havent tried cleaning it with anything (metal polish and whatnot), but Im nervous about the cleaner taking off the paint colour or damaging the metal.

First off, is anyone else experiencing this issue? Second, what metal is the shift knob made out of? Third, should I go talk to Acura?

J.
Old 10-09-2003 | 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

stop getting so nervous when you are shifting!!

j/k on my previous auto cars ive had some buildup of some nasty gunk on the shift knob and steeringwheel. i usually just try to rub it off by hand but have never put any chemicals on it.
Old 10-09-2003 | 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Others have experienced this and DO take the car to Acura. It is a known issue here in Ohio.
Old 10-09-2003 | 02:08 PM
Racer

The same thing is happening to my car. Do you think it's worth taking to acura? The spot is hard to see unless the knob is in direct sunlight...
Old 10-09-2003 | 03:06 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

ModaWay
What do you mean 'known issue?' Does that mean Acura will fix the problem by replacing my shift knob every six months? Or what.... I was under the impression that the shift knob was the same one on the S2000- wouldn't they have fixed the problem by now?

Fill me in!

J.
Old 10-09-2003 | 03:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Re: Discolouration on the shift knob

Originally posted by bowersan
As we all know, I drive a 6mt (what other way is there to drive?)

Just as your love for the car is fading fast it looks like the same is happening to your shift knob

Funny, my Auto shifter looks like new

j'k J, Go speak to Paul and bring him that list of Acuras your family bought from him. He'll realize how your family kept him in business and give you 4 or 5 new knobs as a courtesy.
Old 10-09-2003 | 03:41 PM
Still here

My shift knob has started to do this as well, it looks like it is corroding... it's one of the things on my list to fix when I go in for the 10k check up
Old 10-09-2003 | 04:19 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Unfortunately, one of the problems of going to school in London, Ontario is the relative distance to my home Acura dealer (only 2 hours away, yay!)

I guess since i'm near/at my service date (October 2003 means what day in October exactly?) I'll mention that to service when I pop in. Realistically, that means that i'm not going to have a chance to deal with this until I go in for service, and that wont be until at least the 15th of the month... If im going in for service, I may as well test drive the TL while I wait!!

RE: Domn's comment- Frankly, I dont like abusing my reputation with Acura 2000... They've always provided my family with only the best customer service out there. They treat me like a good customer, and I treat them as a good franchise. I'm not out to take advantage of anyone. (that is, until i get out into the business world... MWAHHAHAHAHHA!)

Sigh.
Back to school work!

J.
Old 10-09-2003 | 04:24 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Who said anything about abusing. My point was your shift knob is worn, your a good customer, I'm sure they won't even think twice
about exchanging the knob for you, under warranty.
Old 10-09-2003 | 04:25 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

What about Acura here in London? Do you think they'll give me a fuss?

J.
Old 10-10-2003 | 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by bowersan
ModaWay
What do you mean 'known issue?' Does that mean Acura will fix the problem by replacing my shift knob every six months? Or what.... I was under the impression that the shift knob was the same one on the S2000- wouldn't they have fixed the problem by now?

Fill me in!

J.
I'm saying that the Acura dealership here in town has had a few come back already for this problem and they exchanged them out for free. Evidently there is a chipping issue on the shifters Acura, atleast here, knows about it and has had a few come back.

Can speak to the fact of the S2000. I haven't had the problem, I just know from someone who works for Acura that they are coming back.