Dealer installed MP3 player vs. MP3 aux jack

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:05 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Dealer installed MP3 player vs. MP3 aux jack

Hello everyone,

I am a to the board and have a question regarding the dealer installed mp3 player. Do you or anyone that you know of have one? If so - are you satified with it or is it best just to use the mp3 jack?

I am in the process of purchasing this vehicle (06 TSX with Nav) and am considering the mp3 installed by the dealer.

I am interested in the dealer's option because #1 - I do not currently own a mp3 player as I would only want it for my car. (I wouldn't use it anywhere else). I only want it for the car because I have many cd's and would prefer not to have the cd's in the car. Some cd's are unique and it would be tough for me to get an original.

I recieved a "quick explanation" of the understanding of how the ipod works in terms of downloading/uploading music to the ipod. However - I am not sure how I could save music to the mp3 player if I have it installed by the dealer. (I'm new to the mp3 player... but would prefer this method versus carrying tons of cd's in the car).

The person that gave me the "crash course on ipod" was not familliar with the mp3 players that are installed into vehicles.

I do not like the idea of attaching additional accessories each time in order to listen to music. Any tips or advise would be extremely helpful

Thanks so much for your response in advance.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:08 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the mp3 player installed by the dealer is an overpriced cd player. dont get it. ever. look in the brochure.

and the factory ipod adaptor does not work on the tsx. it was discontinued.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Advanced

there was never a factory Ipod adaptor to my knowledge...

and I know that the '06's came with an AUX jack which you could hook your Ipod into if you just ran a normal 3.5mm - 3.5mm cord.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Pro

Stay away from the factory mp3 player. Hook yourself up with an RCA Lyra MP3 player with a 1 or 2GB SD memory stick and you're set. Keep that space open for a dvd player for your navi screen
Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Agent11br
there was never a factory Ipod adaptor to my knowledge...

and I know that the '06's came with an AUX jack which you could hook your Ipod into if you just ran a normal 3.5mm - 3.5mm cord.
I am picking up my car this afternoon -- 06 TSX -- I want to go buy the necessary cord to hook my IPod into the car this morning. What is the cord called in laymans terms? Will Best Buy know what the heck I am talking about?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
If you have an iPod already, just go to RadioShack and spend the $3 on a cable and use the aux jack. My gf and I drove 6+ hours this weekend and we put her iPod to good use.

And XJGrl, congrats on finally picking up the car. Go to the local RadioShack or Best Buy and look for a stereo cable with 3/8-inch connectors on both ends. Better yet, bring in your iPod and point to the hole for the headphones and tell the guy you want a cable that has one of those connections on both ends.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
If you have an iPod already, just go to RadioShack and spend the $3 on a cable and use the aux jack. My gf and I drove 6+ hours this weekend and we put her iPod to good use.

And XJGrl, congrats on finally picking up the car. Go to the local RadioShack or Best Buy and look for a stereo cable with 3/8-inch connectors on both ends. Better yet, bring in your iPod and point to the hole for the headphones and tell the guy you want a cable that has one of those connections on both ends.
Thanks -- I should be picking her up around 1pm -- woooohoooo!!! Ill go buy the cable NOW. Thanks!!

Trending Topics

Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Rebourne

Could this possibly wrok for the 04-05 models? Or is there anything else I could do, to hook up my iPod to the TSX?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrock04TSX
Could this possibly wrok for the 04-05 models? Or is there anything else I could do, to hook up my iPod to the TSX?
The 04/05 does not have an aux jack. You'll need to install another piece that gives you that jack in order to use it on the older models.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Rebourne

The 04/05 does not have an aux jack. You'll need to install another piece that gives you that jack in order to use it on the older models.
Would this be the only solution? http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2110889

I think FM transmitter is not worth it. In some cases, through friends they can't never get a clear signal for some reason.

I'm trying to look for that jack in order to use it on my 04, does anyone know what it's called? thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jrock04TSX
Would this be the only solution? http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2110889

I think FM transmitter is not worth it. In some cases, through friends they can't never get a clear signal for some reason.

I'm trying to look for that jack in order to use it on my 04, does anyone know what it's called? thanks.

you can use the aux port and add rca jacks with this http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounsnhond3.html
Old 08-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Rebourne

Originally Posted by Superb0o
you can use the aux port and add rca jacks with this http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounsnhond3.html
Thanks...I came across this as I just searched, but damn $100 for and adapter/aux port ...that's expensive. But I might just have buy this.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:00 PM
8th Gear

Thanks so much for the detailed information and the links everyone!!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX4U2Adore
Hello everyone,

I am a to the board and have a question regarding the dealer installed mp3 player. Do you or anyone that you know of have one? If so - are you satified with it or is it best just to use the mp3 jack?

I am in the process of purchasing this vehicle (06 TSX with Nav) and am considering the mp3 installed by the dealer.

I am interested in the dealer's option because #1 - I do not currently own a mp3 player as I would only want it for my car. (I wouldn't use it anywhere else). I only want it for the car because I have many cd's and would prefer not to have the cd's in the car. Some cd's are unique and it would be tough for me to get an original.

I recieved a "quick explanation" of the understanding of how the ipod works in terms of downloading/uploading music to the ipod. However - I am not sure how I could save music to the mp3 player if I have it installed by the dealer. (I'm new to the mp3 player... but would prefer this method versus carrying tons of cd's in the car).

The person that gave me the "crash course on ipod" was not familliar with the mp3 players that are installed into vehicles.

I do not like the idea of attaching additional accessories each time in order to listen to music. Any tips or advise would be extremely helpful

Thanks so much for your response in advance.

I have a 06 tsx and have the mp3 player intalled and I love it! Plus it will play a 7th cd . The sound quailty is excellent plus it looks good in the console

[IMG]
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
The Power of a Grill

looks like you lost some of the wood paneling...
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I have a 06 tsx and have the mp3 player intalled and I love it! Plus it will play a 7th cd . The sound quailty is excellent plus it looks good in the console

[IMG]
Thanks for the pic!!! Love it!!! I am getting the wood trim as well.... I didn't see the option for the wood knob (or fob I assume). Was that something special or is that covered under the wood trim kit?????

The MP3 player.... does it have the pull down where the mp3 is covered with the trim or do you totally lose that portion of the trim because of the mp3 player?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by San-AnT
looks like you lost some of the wood paneling...
That is the way it comes. At least I think? I will check on this, but it was put on at the dealer. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the pic!!! Love it!!! I am getting the wood trim as well.... I didn't see the option for the wood knob (or fob I assume). Was that something special or is that covered under the wood trim kit?????

The MP3 player.... does it have the pull down where the mp3 is covered with the trim or do you totally lose that portion of the trim because of the mp3 player?

No, I bought the shift knob from ebay. Let me know if the space right in front of the gearshift knob gets covered. I am wondering if the dealer put all my pieces on.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

No, I bought the shift knob from ebay. Let me know if the space right in front of the gearshift knob gets covered. I am wondering if the dealer put all my pieces on.

Just found out that the way it is intalled is the way it comes. The woodgrain really makes the car look classy inside, if you like that sort of thing.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

As far as the MP3 player, it is what you see. No pull down cover. They dealer did give me the trim piece that does cover the spot were the mp3 player is in case I ever take it out.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Cruisin'

[IMG]
dwest1023,

If you don't mind could you please give us some details about how it functions/works in conjuction with the Navi.
i.e.
How do you change songs/folders?
Does it take long to change tracks/folders?
What "Mode" is the Navi in to use the MP3 player?
I'm aware that you don't get any ID3 tag info but do you at least get the file name of the song being played? (ex. 01 CoolSong.mp3) If so, do you also get to look through a list of folder names and track filenames to find the songs your looking for?

I haven't seen much detailed info on how the MP3 player works so any detailed info you could give on this subject would be appreciated by me and I'm sure many others in the future.

Thanks,
Thad
Old 08-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=tasx]dwest1023,

If you don't mind could you please give us some details about how it functions/works in conjuction with the Navi.
i.e.
How do you change songs/folders?
Does it take long to change tracks/folders?
What "Mode" is the Navi in to use the MP3 player?
I'm aware that you don't get any ID3 tag info but do you at least get the file name of the song being played? (ex. 01 CoolSong.mp3) If so, do you also get to look through a list of folder names and track filenames to find the songs your looking for?

I haven't seen much detailed info on how the MP3 player works so any detailed info you could give on this subject would be appreciated by me and I'm sure many others in the future.

Thanks,

the mp3 player has its own screen on the navi. It shows folder number and song number only. You can fast forward skip etc, from the screen. You can also change songs numbers from the steering wheels controls. It cannot show you any info within the flolders. It is very basic but sounds as good as the cd player. Even with the drawbacks, I love the player and glad that I have it. Try to get it as cheap as possible
Old 08-08-2006, 08:04 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

As far as the MP3 player, it is what you see. No pull down cover. They dealer did give me the trim piece that does cover the spot were the mp3 player is in case I ever take it out.
Taking the mp3 player out will present a problem as the mounting kit requires you to cut off the receptors for the plastic clips that hold the original media storage bin in place. I'm not sure what part will need to be replaced to put that pocket back in but it looked pretty central (i.e. expensive).
Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned

And XJGrl, congrats on finally picking up the car. ....point to the hole...
Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
10th Gear

is ipod the best quality player for the tsx? anybody use other mp3 players such as the cheap mobiblu?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:14 PM
The Power of a Grill

i stuck in a pyle dvd/mp3 player in the middle pocket - and i get to keep the cover. sound is cd quality (duh). personally, i think it is better than ipod, but a direct ipod connection is very good.