Better braking anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003 | 08:54 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Better braking anyone???

Does anyone find their brake system on the TSX lousy??? I just tried the new Sentra with Brembo brakes and all I can say is WOW.

Is there a way to improve the braking power on the TSX? I don't want to spend a fortune on new calipers. Will a performance set of disks and better pad improve braking?

Last week, I almost hit the ditch because I did brake a bit late...
Old 07-30-2003 | 09:07 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

A good economical first step would be to upgrade to vented style performance rotors, stainless steel lines, and more aggressive pads. However, be warned highly aggressive pads will likely do wonders to improve stopping but you may have elevated levels of brake dust and some squeal depending on the temp range you usually drive at.

I'm currently running EBC green stuff pads. I honestly haven't noticed a dramatic improvement but they do offer lots of dust

Give the market some time, Brembo will have a complete retro fit kit for the TSX soon. The 98-02 Accords have a complete Brembo kit MSRP is $2500.00 Super good brakes aren't cheap
Old 07-30-2003 | 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe it's because I'm coming from a ext. cab 4x4 p/u, but I think the brakes are awesome. I had to get on em hard yesterday at a light change{cop waiting at the intersection}otherwise I'd of blown through. Stopped perfectly, totally in control. I know alot of cars have better breaking numbers, but come on. How fast you drivin?
Old 07-30-2003 | 09:46 PM
9th Gear

I traded in a WRX for the TSX and I have to say that the TSX's brakes feel way better to me. I think they're great brakes, but I'm not speed racer either so take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-30-2003 | 10:17 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

I am coming from a Sentra 2001 SE (the famous SR20DE engine) and it brakes much better than my TSX. Mind you, the sentra doesn't have the same weight... I tried the new one (2.5L SER-V) with the Brembo brakes... The car cannot outrun any sports car (it felt slower than the 2.0L) but it can stop on a dime. In heavy traffic, you would not rear end anyone but you would probably get rear ended because of the so short stopping distance...

Coming back to the TSX, I often drive at speeds around 90mph but I'm a bit worried about emergency braking... The car is veery stable at this speed but the brakes don't inspire much confidence. On the other hand, for day to day driving the brakes do an excellent job.

I'm not looking for Brembo kind power (nor will dish out the money either) but being able to brake under 120 feet 60-0 would be very very nice...

Maybe a set of parachutes in the trunk would help me a bit :-)
Old 07-31-2003 | 01:53 AM
n00b

Originally posted by MrChad
A good economical first step would be to upgrade to vented style performance rotors
The TSX front rotors ARE vented. Are you talking about something like cross-drilled rotors? If so, there have been numerous debates on whether the cross-drilled rotors actually improve braking. IMO, they DON'T! I've had 2 pairs of cross-drilled front rotors and a pair of cross-drilled rear rotors on my Prelude. I've also had a pair of cross-drilled front rotors on my Integra. I didn't notice any difference in braking. The Project Mu brake pads and the Goodrich SS brake lines provide more noticable differences. The 2 pairs of cross-drilled front rotors on the Prelude had cracked. Granted, I take my cars to auto-x a lot, and occasionally track events. So my rotors would see some extreme conditions. Anyway, what I noticed with the cross-drilled rotors was that they ate up my expensive brake pads quicker. :thumbsdn: Now I'm back with the factory rotors.

Back to the TSX brakes, I find that the brakes on the TSX is quite good. I've had couple of times when I had to brake really hard. I was amazed on how good the brakes were.
Old 07-31-2003 | 04:40 AM
Advanced

Given all the cars I've owned and driven, I would have to classify the TSX brakes as very good. Could they use more stopping power, yes, but who couldn't (unless you're talking about sports cars/exotics that cost at least 2x-3x)? And how much money are we talking about here to shave off a few more feet?

If you're doing SCCA on the weekends then I could see the reasoning but otherwise, no (IMO) not for every driving in what is still a sedan.

To me, the more important aspect is related to the user's ability to properly modulate the brakes (as well as being a defensive driver which means keeping the vehicle in a speed range consistent with your driving ability, how familiar you are with the performance limitiations of your car and the environment - weather, other drivers, types of vehicles, traffic density, etc). and in this aspect, the TSX is definitely a class leader (just like the '96 Prelude I just came from).
Old 07-31-2003 | 07:07 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by vwong
The TSX front rotors ARE vented. Are you talking about something like cross-drilled rotors? If so, there have been numerous debates on whether the cross-drilled rotors actually improve braking. IMO, they DON'T! I've had 2 pairs of cross-drilled front rotors and a pair of cross-drilled rear rotors on my Prelude. I've also had a pair of cross-drilled front rotors on my Integra. I didn't notice any difference in braking. The Project Mu brake pads and the Goodrich SS brake lines provide more noticable differences. The 2 pairs of cross-drilled front rotors on the Prelude had cracked. Granted, I take my cars to auto-x a lot, and occasionally track events. So my rotors would see some extreme conditions. Anyway, what I noticed with the cross-drilled rotors was that they ate up my expensive brake pads quicker. :thumbsdn: Now I'm back with the factory rotors.

Back to the TSX brakes, I find that the brakes on the TSX is quite good. I've had couple of times when I had to brake really hard. I was amazed on how good the brakes were.
I've heard negative things about the cross-drilled rotors too. But how about slotted rotors? I haven't heard any negative comments about them yet? Anybody?
Old 07-31-2003 | 07:14 AM
Instructor

here's my 2 cents:
My 2000 Mitsu Galant was notorious for warping the front rotors, I replaced them with Brembo oem rotors(not slotted nor drilled) and ceramic pads and after two separate 500mile trips they warped again. Didn't notice any improvement on braking either. If your gonna upgrade, unfortunately you'll have to go all the way calipers, etc....judging from my experience of course.
Old 07-31-2003 | 03:01 PM
n00b

Originally posted by TSX007
I've heard negative things about the cross-drilled rotors too. But how about slotted rotors? I haven't heard any negative comments about them yet? Anybody?
I don't have first hand experience with slotted rotors. But from my conversation with several people who have tried both the slotted and cross-drilled, they said that the slotted would provide better stopping than the cross-drilled would. But the slotted rotors would chew up the brake pads even quicker.
Old 07-31-2003 | 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

slotted rotors feel very funny... almost like the feeling of warped rotor... so you get a lot of steering wheel shake.