Bad Water Management

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004 | 08:34 PM
Advanced

Bad Water Management

Has anybody else noticed that the TSX isn't a good car to smoke in when it rains? Even in a light drizzle, you get soaked with the window open just a crack (this is a problem for smokers). I used to be able to smoke with the window open in a downpour in my old Audi (provided I was going fast enough). Something to do with aerodynamics I guess. Also, you open the trunk and water drips right in.
Old 10-25-2004 | 08:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

you shouldnt smoke first of all, n i dont so my advice is prolly usless but why dont u crack the moon roof a bit cuz if ure going that fast it shouldnt come in
Old 10-25-2004 | 09:04 PM
Instructor

I'm wit ya. I dont smoke either, but I know you can't even crack to order at a drive thru without getting wet. Seemed like my old turbo Jetta was better, but I cant guarantee it.
Old 10-25-2004 | 09:06 PM
I make Boom Boom in

Have you tried using a wind deflector? Looks tacky, but if you haaaave to drag a fag...
Old 10-25-2004 | 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

even if it rains a bit its annoying too. cuz then the cars wet n it takes a good drive for it to dry off no matter how fast ure going or how eratic ure driving is
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:10 PM
Racer

Here's a simple solution...DON'T SMOKE IN YOUR CAR!!! My last car (1996 Honda Civic) I smoked excessively in and after a couple years I noticed all the light colored interior pieces started turning a nasty brownish/yellowish color...besides..it smells bad...I haven't smoked in a car for a year now & I would feel bad anytime I did - even if it wasn't my car.....But I guess the best solution is not to smoke at all...???....
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:37 PM
Driver/Detailer

The TSX's low drag coeffecient means that the air is being cut through pretty smoothly. Also means that the air flow is almost laminar close to the body, and when you open any window, positive pressure is generated from outside, pushing air into the cabin. Try driving at 70mph with the driver's window just 2" open. The air pulses and your ear will hurt!
Old 10-25-2004 | 10:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aaronng
The TSX's low drag coeffecient means that the air is being cut through pretty smoothly. Also means that the air flow is almost laminar close to the body, and when you open any window, positive pressure is generated from outside, pushing air into the cabin. Try driving at 70mph with the driver's window just 2" open. The air pulses and your ear will hurt!
Old 10-26-2004 | 07:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The solution is simple enough: Quit smoking and that will be one solved problem.
Old 10-26-2004 | 08:26 AM
Banned

Letter to Honda:

"Not an Ashtray" --> OUT
Real Ashtray + lighter --> IN
Old 10-26-2004 | 08:52 AM
Instructor

One thing that irks me is how the driver and passenger doors are so high up there. I like to put my left arm on the door panel while driving, but it's so uncomfortable in the TSX. That's one of the reason why I don't smoke in this car.
Old 10-26-2004 | 08:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by blackjackman
Letter to Honda:

"Not an Ashtray" --> OUT
Real Ashtray + lighter --> IN
Smoking is so 1964.
Old 10-26-2004 | 09:55 AM
Race Director

I like fresh air, and i love the rain, but not when it lands on my seats.
Old 10-26-2004 | 02:40 PM
Licensed Driver

DOOFUS!!! Stop smoking!!!

Having rain get your car wet while you smoke is God's way of telling you to quit smoking... Forget all the shit that happens to your car (color changes to the interior, smell, etc.) think about the changes to your lungs! You've increased the risk of lung cancer, oral cancer, gastric cancer, bladder cancer and vascular disease (just to name a few)... Plus all your medical bills will put even more of a burden on the rest of us with increasing insurance premiums and fewer benefits.

SO STOP SMOKING IN YOUR CAR OR ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

Just my ...
Old 10-26-2004 | 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Alright... if the guy wants to smoke, let the guy smoke. With all of today's laws, it's like the last place he can legally smoke without getting crap for it.

Sure, it's not great for your health, but how is it our place to enforce our ideals on someone else?

And if you're worried about insurance premiums or whatever, let's first get rid of all the fast food joints on every corner in America. Hell, some schools even have Mickey-Ds in the cafeteria! This is a much greater risk and a much "larger" percentage of the population falls into this category. And trust me, you're paying more for the side-effects of obesity in our society than for smoking.
Old 10-26-2004 | 03:04 PM
Intermediate

Give the guy a break. Im sure if the he wanted to be lectured about smoking, he would have gone to a Marlboro cancer board, but he is talking about THE TSX and how he gets wet when the window is cracked. damn. I dont smoke, and i notice the same thing... only its when Im driving in a nice Maryland summer and its 150% humidity and a downpour comes out of nowhere. You almost have to crack the window some to keep from suffocating, and yes, I get soaked in the TSX, where in my other car, not a drop.
Old 10-26-2004 | 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
....And trust me, you're paying more for the side-effects of obesity in our society than for smoking.
Really? That secondhand obesity getting to you? Interesting....

Old 10-26-2004 | 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmmmm... how about: don't open the window when you smoke and it's raining?!

Dude, the window is OPEN! Of course you're going to get some water on you if it's raining. The "bad water management" is on your part.
Old 10-26-2004 | 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
Really? That secondhand obesity getting to you? Interesting....
Ha, uh...

Only when I'm trying to squeeze by someone in a doorway.

(Nah, I was only referring to the financial impact on society as a whole. )
Old 10-26-2004 | 10:23 PM
Licensed Driver

Bad Suspension Management

Originally Posted by junk5681
Has anybody else noticed that the TSX isn't a good car to smoke in when it rains? Even in a light drizzle, you get soaked with the window open just a crack (this is a problem for smokers). I used to be able to smoke with the window open in a downpour in my old Audi (provided I was going fast enough). Something to do with aerodynamics I guess. Also, you open the trunk and water drips right in.
Has anybody else noticed that the TSX isn't a good car to shoot up in cuz of its suspension? Even on a dirt road, you get all these track marks on your arm from the needle bouncing around (this is a problem for heroin addicts). I used to be able to shoot up on a dirt road while driving in my old Audi (provided I was going fast enough). Something to do with aerodynamics I guess. Also, you open the trunk and there's no place to hide your dope.

Originally Posted by hondatrain
Give the guy a break. Im sure if the he wanted to be lectured about smoking, he would have gone to a Marlboro cancer board, but he is talking about THE TSX and how he gets wet when the window is cracked. damn.
Now I don't want to hear about my drug habit just asking about THE TSX and its suspension on dirt roads... damn.
Old 10-26-2004 | 10:36 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Disagree. The airflow over my Beechcraft was laminar by design, yet if you opened the small "porthole" window in flight, you'd get suction from the airflow going by, not air blowing in. (And no, the aircraft is not pressurized, so it's not that...)

Laminar airflow can create high and low pressure areas, just as it does on the wing of an aircraft where the bottom tends to have high pressure and the top is low pressure. Airplane designers usually locate any openable windows or outflow vents in areas of low pressure. Even the side cockpit windows on larger aircraft are designed to do this. Tends to help remove smoke and/or carbon monoxide from the aircraft in case of a problem.

Much more difficult to do this in cars because the windows are much larger relative to the overall size. They usually design for best possible aerodynamics with the windows closed, and let the chips fall where they may with the windows open. Sometimes the windows tend to suck, sometimes they tend to blow.

Acura definitely does have much tighter fit and finish and less trim around the windows than many other makes. This is probably the biggest difference when it comes to water getting in. On some other cars the structure around the windows (trim, doorframe, etc.) tends to channel water away from the window. I've noticed that when I spray the windshield with the window open, it often streams in a bit more than on other vehicles I have owned. My Audi did a great job of making sure that windshield water never made it to the side windows. This too probably has a lot to do with a decision to minimize drag at the expense of other things.
Old 10-27-2004 | 12:45 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by VeniceBeachTSX
Disagree. The airflow over my Beechcraft was laminar by design, yet if you opened the small "porthole" window in flight, you'd get suction from the airflow going by, not air blowing in. (And no, the aircraft is not pressurized, so it's not that...)

Laminar airflow can create high and low pressure areas, just as it does on the wing of an aircraft where the bottom tends to have high pressure and the top is low pressure. Airplane designers usually locate any openable windows or outflow vents in areas of low pressure. Even the side cockpit windows on larger aircraft are designed to do this. Tends to help remove smoke and/or carbon monoxide from the aircraft in case of a problem.

Much more difficult to do this in cars because the windows are much larger relative to the overall size. They usually design for best possible aerodynamics with the windows closed, and let the chips fall where they may with the windows open. Sometimes the windows tend to suck, sometimes they tend to blow.
A flow of air over a fast moving surface will generate a pressure difference at the interface between the surface and the air. So if you crack the window open, the air (in this case, moving air, i.e. wind) will be pushed into the opening. Your aircraft's wing has lower pressure on the top and higher pressure on the bottom, but at the wing-air interface, looking at the top of the wing, the pressure difference between wing and air is still higher than atmospheric. Same goes at the bottom of the wing, but the pressure difference is even higher, therefore you have lift.

In a car with poorer aerodynamics, there are regions of turbulence (which are at different locations depending on car speed, crosswinds and open windows. It is possible that at a particular range of speed, that these regions of turbulence could be at the window area of the car.

OR MAYBE, the window opening of the TSX is more slanted than other cars, so rain gets in more easily since the opening is larger when viewed from the top.
Old 10-27-2004 | 01:28 AM
Racer

you guys are getting really technical. i dont smoke, but i dont like it when water gets in even if i open the window just a bit.
Old 10-27-2004 | 01:34 AM
Tuxedo Cat

A flow of air over a fast moving surface will generate a pressure difference at the interface between the surface and the air. So if you crack the window open, the air (in this case, moving air, i.e. wind) will be pushed into the opening. Your aircraft's wing has lower pressure on the top and higher pressure on the bottom, but at the wing-air interface, looking at the top of the wing, the pressure difference between wing and air is still higher than atmospheric. Same goes at the bottom of the wing, but the pressure difference is even higher, therefore you have lift.
Which still doesn't explain why when I open the little window on the Beech (or on a Piper, Mooney, or any other aircraft I fly) air is sucked out. You literally have to put a little wind scoop out to get any breeze inside during taxi.

Actually, I know the answers, but as the guy above said, it gets very technical and not quite relevant to the discussion.

Bottom line to me is that they could have designed the window to not have this problem, but I suspect it would be at the expense of overall vehicle aerodynamics.
Old 10-27-2004 | 01:39 AM
Advanced

you can smoke all you like, its your body and its your choice, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT DO IT IN THAT BEAUTIFUL TSX OF YOURS!!! YOU'LL MAKE ME CRY!!! :'(
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:41 AM
Driver/Detailer

Actually, I know the answers, but as the guy above said, it gets very technical and not quite relevant to the discussion.

Bottom line to me is that they could have designed the window to not have this problem, but I suspect it would be at the expense of overall vehicle aerodynamics.
Yup.... heheh.. this I agree... I don't doubt your knowledge in this field, probably you are right and I am wrong. My adamant opinion is that the water gets in because they placed importance on aerodynamics instead of stopping the rain from getting into the car.
Old 10-27-2004 | 07:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Venise, nice technical explanation offered.

As for those who say give the smokers a break, maybe I will for our American folks. Not so for our Canadian pals. We have a public health system funded by every taxpayer, so the collective health of the nation is each and evry one of us' business. If you put a burden on your health (and your surroundings) because you smoke, I have to pay to get you looked over.

So, yes, I feel it is my business when I see someone smoking, and I will (rightfully) at least make an allusion to the issue. You don't like it? Start asking for a private health system, and I'm the first to jump in.
Old 10-27-2004 | 09:30 AM
ric
Safety Car

Those of us in the US also pay a high price for smokers, it is just that the costs of it are not directly reflected as they are in Canada, where the indexing of smoking-related diseases and conditions can be directly matrixed against hospital bed use and patient/physician visits. More elusive to trap is the ancillary economic impact - workforce efficiency, etc. and the most elusive of all, "quality of life" issues. But we still pay in the US, we just prefer to do it in ways that cannot be easily isolated, although we all feel the increase in insurance premiums here. Impact of smoking is also not just felt by the smoker, but by those around them...... as evidenced by the studies of "borrowed smoke" impact.

As for smoking in your TSX with the window cracked and the rain flooding in? Maybe that's nature's way of telling you that smoking is an unnatural act................................. as an alternative, crack open the moonroof at an angle, if you can stand the noise at high speeds, open a back window a crack where it gets wet on the leather, and let the crosswinds rip. Just don't throw the freaking cigarette butt out onto the highway. (use the this is not an ashtray thingie that I use for "stuff")
Old 10-27-2004 | 09:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ric
Just don't throw the freaking cigarette butt out onto the highway. (use the this is not an ashtray thingie that I use for "stuff")
Especially not if you have a tank truck following you!!!
Old 10-27-2004 | 10:43 AM
B A N N E D

im glad someone posted this, i do smoke, and have noticed this also..what a pain in the ass it is...i know i shouldnt smoke but im addicted. i got to the point where i gotta keep a towl in the car..just in case i need a cig in the rain, i can dry the door panel off..
yea i know..im bad.
gotta quit..
Old 10-27-2004 | 12:35 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by ric
Those of us in the US also pay a high price for smokers, it is just that the costs of it are not directly reflected as they are in Canada, where the indexing of smoking-related diseases and conditions can be directly matrixed against hospital bed use and patient/physician visits. More elusive to trap is the ancillary economic impact - workforce efficiency, etc. and the most elusive of all, "quality of life" issues. But we still pay in the US, we just prefer to do it in ways that cannot be easily isolated, although we all feel the increase in insurance premiums here. Impact of smoking is also not just felt by the smoker, but by those around them...... as evidenced by the studies of "borrowed smoke" impact.
Even here in the US with our theoretically private system, more than 50% of medical costs are still paid by the government, through medicaid, medicare and other programs. As the population ages, this will become more and more the case, as the most expensive care (including care for such long-term problems as smoking and obesity) tends to be used primarily by older people.

The "private" system is purely a myth.
Old 10-27-2004 | 02:01 PM
ric
Safety Car

Even here in the US with our theoretically private system, more than 50% of medical costs are still paid by the government, through medicaid, medicare and other programs. As the population ages, this will become more and more the case, as the most expensive care (including care for such long-term problems as smoking and obesity) tends to be used primarily by older people.

The "private" system is purely a myth.
agreed. and - the advancing obesity of the general US population is becoming a major health challenge, as it exacerbates any number of core conditions, and creates a few of its own. Morbid obesity is becoming a standard issue for the geriatric population.
Old 10-31-2004 | 12:53 AM
Advanced

I really wasn't looking for lifestyle advice from you people, but please allow me to respond...

1. My point was not about smoking, but that there are occasions on which it is necessary to open the window when it is wet outside - to pay a toll, to flick a booger, whatever. One should be able to do so without getting soaked.

2. I am 27. By the time that I get cancer they are going to have a pill that you can take to cure it. Bring on the tumors.

3. I am not going to take personal safety advice from a forum of people who drive recklessly on a daily basis. People on this board apparently drive in excess of 100 mph on a daily basis. This is far more dangerous than a lifetime of smoking.

4. The analogy of shooting up while driving is so palpably dumb that it does not warrant a response.

5. Smoking does no harm to your car, provided that you crack the window. I smoked 4 - 5 cigarettes a day in my last car for 4 years/ 50,000 miles, and there were no noticeable odors. When I traded it in, the salesman went so far as to say that the car still felt new inside. This is not something one would say if it smelled like an ashtray.

6. You all are correct in that collective healthcare gives people the right to infringe on the lifestyle choices of others. This is reason enough to oppose any kind of socialized medecine. If you all have the right to criticize my smoking because of public healthcare costs, why don' t I have the right to criticize your reckless driving for the same reason? The "second-hand" effects of fast driving dwarf the second-hand effects of smoking. How would you like it if society governed the top speed of the TSX at 55mph in order to save on health care costs? Public healthcare gives others the right to determine what you smoke, eat, drink, drive, f*&%, etc.

7. You overstate the extent to which non-smoker subsidize the healthcare of smokers. Smokers (rightly) pay higher premiums for health and life insurance. You clowns who drive 100mph on public roads pay the same insurance as everyone else, until you kill someone.

8. I routinely toss cigarette butts out the window, and will continue to do so.

In closing, I hope that you clowns enjoy your safe and secure lukewarm lifestyle. Be sure to say a toast to me the next time you crack open a case of O'Douls.
Old 10-31-2004 | 01:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Everytime I see someone tosses a cigarette butt out their window creating sparks as it hits the pavement, I have the strong urge to get out of my car, pick up the shit and toss it back in the guy's "back seat" while his car is moving.
Old 10-31-2004 | 01:20 AM
Computer Nerd

Originally Posted by JTso
Everytime I see someone tosses a cigarette butt out their window creating sparks as it hits the pavement, I have the strong urge to get out of my car, pick up the shit and toss it back in the guy's "back seat" while his car is moving.
Me too! I went to denver and saw at least 10 people flicking butts out their windows. Keep in mind this is the state that had a fucking huge forest fire from someone doing that last summer.

Originally Posted by junk5681
2. I am 27. By the time that I get cancer they are going to have a pill that you can take to cure it. Bring on the tumors.
...driving with the blinders on. Better go load up on LiveSTRONG bracelets.

After seeing how many TSX drivers smoke around here I was wondering how you guys got started. Was it something you have been doing since it was "cool" in high school?? Or did you start while stressed at work. Now, don't take this the wrong way since they are not my words....but statistically smoking cigarettes is a trait exhibited by lower socio-economic classes....and since the TSX is not a car that fits that (IMO) certain causes and effects should be prominant. Sorry, I like analysing things and this seemed like something I could get data on.
Old 10-31-2004 | 12:33 PM
ric
Safety Car

Yep, the threat got pretty much hijacked with smoking exhortations, probably not helpful..
1. Answer you've gotten on aerodynamic design from some of the posts sounds pretty accurate to me, and probably applies to virtually any car on the road that pays attention to slick bodystyle. Recently got drenched in a partner's A6 opeining the window.
2. Cancer research ain't that far along, unfortunately; the myth that medical research will solve all is right up there with the "I'm on the pill" and "the check is in the mail"..
3. One pick's one's dangerous behaviors and goes with it. However, some of us are real dorks and don't drive recklessly and don't smoke.
4. Yep, crappy metaphor and a cheap shot. However, smoking as an addiction is far more physiologically addicitve than most, and some have noted that breaking their crack addiction was easier than their nicotene addiction. My wife finally stopped, but only after three weeks in a coma. She still hates not smoking.
5. Not to your car, but not in mine. I have COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary syndrome, acquired, no doubt, to being raised by two 5-pack a day smokers)
6. Weighing the costs of smoking vs traumatic injury/death is an interesting concept. Are any of our statisticians out there?
7. I suspect we all pay the costs of both to a greater degree than any one of us would care to imagine.
8. That really is rude, and in some states, is a safety hazard and illegal; people in the foothills of California get really excited about that kind of stuff. Hope you live in or near swampland where it lands in mush.
Old 10-31-2004 | 04:46 PM
I make Boom Boom in

I have a simple solution for you. Go to Jack-in-the-Crack and grab one of those jumbo sized straws. Stick your ciggy in one end, light it and stick that end out the window (crack the window open just a little) and suck on the other end to your hearts content! Haha
Old 10-31-2004 | 07:26 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by ric
1. Answer you've gotten on aerodynamic design from some of the posts sounds pretty accurate to me, and probably applies to virtually any car on the road that pays attention to slick bodystyle. Recently got drenched in a partner's A6 opeining the window.
Have had similar experiences. My old (1998) A4 was OK, but would always get some water in, even if just spraying the windshield. I had the opportunity to drive a newer one (as well as a C-class Mercedes) in the rain this past weekend while I was away, and just for fun I checked out this "feature." Got nice and wet in both of them.

I suspect that the more a vehicle's manufacturer goes for aerodynamics, the more this is likely to be the norm. And realistically these days, aerodynamics (which translates into fuel efficiency) will win out over anything else.
Old 10-31-2004 | 09:11 PM
Computer Nerd

Originally Posted by txathlete
I have a simple solution for you. Go to Jack-in-the-Crack and grab one of those jumbo sized straws. Stick your ciggy in one end, light it and stick that end out the window (crack the window open just a little) and suck on the other end to your hearts content! Haha
LMAO!!!! I agree!