Anyone replaced their stock TSX shocks yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007 | 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Anyone replaced their stock TSX shocks yet?

Has anyone replaced their shocks in their TSX yet? (year 04' and 05').

If yes, did you go with Acura OEM, or aftermarket (Bilstein etc.)?

This thread is not targeted at those who replace it with coil-overs or lowered suspension systems. But really only at those who replace their stock OEM shocks .
Old 11-28-2007 | 02:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mav238
This thread is not targeted at those who replace it with coil-overs or lowered suspension systems. But really only at those who replace their stock OEM shocks .
Good distinction on this board, you don't want a mod to flip out and close the thread.
Old 11-28-2007 | 02:59 PM
Team Owner

^^ we don't flip out.
Old 11-28-2007 | 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jlukja
^^ we don't flip out.
We have been known to people though.
Old 11-28-2007 | 05:35 PM
Racer

Let me know about those shocks. What kinds did you switch out?
Old 11-28-2007 | 06:25 PM
Advanced

I was planning to change mine too and a member suggested looking into the A-spec suspension (strut and spring). You can get it for $575, for all four and it would be just a drop in replacement -removing the whole assembly and putting in the A-spec suspension. On the other hand, replacing the strut would include more labor as the spring needs to be decompressed/compressed and your springs have also aged.

The A-spec would be tuned perfectly for our cars and you get about a 1" drop and a little less in comfort, but I don't imagine it to be too harsh being it is OEM. Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2007 | 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by snailspeed
I was planning to change mine too and a member suggested looking into the A-spec suspension (strut and spring). You can get it for $575, for all four and it would be just a drop in replacement -removing the whole assembly and putting in the A-spec suspension. On the other hand, replacing the strut would include more labor as the spring needs to be decompressed/compressed and your springs have also aged.

The A-spec would be tuned perfectly for our cars and you get about a 1" drop and a little less in comfort, but I don't imagine it to be too harsh being it is OEM. Hope this helps.
Where can you get the A-spec replacement spring/shock system for $575? I would think it cost a lot more than that.
Old 11-28-2007 | 06:43 PM
Instructor

ebay
Old 11-28-2007 | 09:03 PM
Instructor

^^ we don't flip out.
Originally Posted by moda_way
We have been known to people though.
I didn't mean to offend you two. You guys both provide insightful responses and contribute to the community. It just seems that some here post simply to close threads, 8 of last 10 posts seems a little excessive to me. But if that is the grand pecking order, I will just learn to deal with it.

Please don't ban me because I am outspoken. :surrender
Old 11-28-2007 | 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Where can you get the A-spec replacement spring/shock system for $575? I would think it cost a lot more than that.
hondaacuraworld.com has it for $575 (http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Mercha...gory_Code=ATSX).
Old 11-29-2007 | 09:49 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mskierki
I didn't mean to offend you two. You guys both provide insightful responses and contribute to the community. It just seems that some here post simply to close threads, 8 of last 10 posts seems a little excessive to me. But if that is the grand pecking order, I will just learn to deal with it.

LOL, don't worry, we don't ban members just because they are outspoken. Don't forget that as mods we need to make sure that the forum is run in an orderly fashion. We look at bunches of threads and act on those that we feel requires some action. So, it may seem to you that a mod closed 8 of the last 10 threads but in reality the mod monitored dozens or more. We don't post in every thread we look at.

Cheers.
Old 11-29-2007 | 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL, don't worry, we don't ban members just because they are outspoken. Don't forget that as mods we need to make sure that the forum is run in an orderly fashion. We look at bunches of threads and act on those that we feel requires some action. So, it may seem to you that a mod closed 8 of the last 10 threads but in reality the mod monitored dozens or more. We don't post in every thread we look at.

Cheers.

You monitor stuff?

Old 11-29-2007 | 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mskierki

No worries, I was just j/k
Old 11-29-2007 | 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moda_way

You monitor stuff?

Absolutely. I'm monitoring this thread.
Old 11-29-2007 | 02:46 PM
Old Guy

Has anyone replaced their shocks in their TSX yet? (year 04' and 05').

If yes, did you go with Acura OEM, or aftermarket (Bilstein etc.)?

I had just the shocks replaced on my (wife's) 05 about a year ago. I went with Koni Yellow sport shocks because that's all I could find available at the time (I didn't consider replacing with OE). I'm also most likely the one mentioned here that recommended considering going with A-spec instead of just replacing the shocks (and for the reasons mentioned). The shocks cost me about $585 shipped if memory serves (I can looked it up if anyone is really interested). I checked around quite a bit on line and that's the cheapest I could find them. I had them professionally installed which cost me about $400 (at a shop I found in Tire Rack's recommended installer database). It's a big job and that's allot of money for an install, but I wasn't too surprised at it; they had the car all day. The shocks were replaced at around 40K miles. Since I didn't drive the car too often at the time (it's mine now, she drives an 07), I could feel the difference in the ride and felt the shocks could go for an upgrade. The Koni's allow for two adjustments: ride height at installation (I went for the lowest of 3) and ride quality (I went with the middle position of 3). The ride/handling position is adjustable anytime at the top of the shock with an enclosed knob, but since you don't have normal access to the top of the rear shocks, it's not really a practical option. With no other changes and OE tires, I didn't think that there was much difference in ride quality but a noticeable improvement in handling. I've since added a Progress rear sway bar, front strut bar, and TL wheels (17x8) with 235/45x17 high performance tires. All the upgrades together have noticeably changed the way the car rides and handles (for the better in my opinion).
Old 11-29-2007 | 09:38 PM
TSX Addict

Originally Posted by snailspeed

I have the A-Spec for almost a year now. It's so good that I may buy another set right now for the future, just in case Acura won't sell them no more...
Old 11-30-2007 | 09:39 AM
Team Owner

How long does a set of shocks usually last before I need to start thinking about replacements?
Old 11-30-2007 | 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

You guys should really consider TOKICO HP's. The HP's are valved more aggressively than the OE damper, typically 20-50%, and are designed to work with a lowering spring. They also have a limited lifetime warranty for the original purchaser.

The life of a shock typically will be 60-80k but it can be more or less depending on the driver and driving conditions.

I actually will be posting up a sale shortly on these.
Old 11-30-2007 | 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have the aspec suspension as well and i really like it. It is just a little bit stiffer but its made and designed by Acura. I was the one that setup the group buy with Tim at Hondaacuraworld and he actually just left them up there for that price of $575. You can't beat it at all!! Installation is not that hard either....