View Poll Results: Any regrets about buying your TSX?
Yes, some regrets. Probably wasn't the right car for me.
15.25%
No, I have no regrets. This car is perfect for me.
84.75%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone regret buying their TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I hate chomp...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I regret that it didn't come with 500 HP and all wheel drive...aside from that, I love it!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I regret not getting a 6MT thats all.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:54 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Napkin
I definitely have a few regrets. I definitely should have checked on parts and labor costs for repairs. It's through the roof. I would possibly been better off paying for parts and labor on an audi or porsche. I like my TSX okay, but it doesn't thrill me like it initially did.
Well, if you bought a new one it should be covered for quite a while, at least as far as the drivetrain parts are concerned.

VW and Audi ream you here for parts, too. The difference is that their cars also break much more often as a rule...
Old 03-09-2007, 01:56 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by darth62
...I still think the ride is too stiff and busy...
Lower your tire pressure to what the manual says if you haven't. Everyone around here seems to be running theirs higher (34-35ish), which will make the ride even more stiff.

Drop it to 32F, 30R and see if it isn't better. It can make a big difference.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rb1
Lower your tire pressure to what the manual says if you haven't. Everyone around here seems to be running theirs higher (34-35ish), which will make the ride even more stiff.

If you have a lower tire pressure, doesn't that mean a lower mpg? Going from 34-35 psi to 30-32 psi, I would think would lower your mpg.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:46 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxei
No regrets. Though I kick myself for not getting the navi.
should, could, would...
Old 03-12-2007, 10:40 AM
B A N N E D

more torque would be nice other then that i love my tsx
Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Instructor

dang shoulda gotten that 747
Old 03-12-2007, 01:53 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by thenewrecruiting
If you have a lower tire pressure, doesn't that mean a lower mpg? Going from 34-35 psi to 30-32 psi, I would think would lower your mpg.
There is some impact, yes, but I think it's over-stated, especially at higher pressures. On the highway, rolling resistance is much less than either drive-train losses due to friction (#2) or aerodynamic drag (#1, by far).

I think you're looking at a difference of 0.25 to 0.5 mpg at most. Save a dollar or so per tank, or be comfortable. Your choice.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:28 PM
gbm
Intermediate

Unhappy

I only have around 4000 miles on my '06, and I'm starting to get very annoyed by the build quality. So many squeaks and rattles. At this rate, it won't be long before I trade it in for my other choice at the time of purchase. Too bad it's such a wonderful car, otherwise.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
no regrets.

since i installed coilovers and the rsb, it handles even better.

other than upgrading to uhp summers in a few seasons from now, i don't want to do anything else to the car. it's perfectly fine with me that way it is.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yep.. i luv my TSX, but where i live there are too many TSX, but its still a good car for the money.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
really wished i waited heh til 06 or 07, with all the extra stuff...also wished i got a MT instead of AT and wished i got white instead of gray, but the white for 05 only had the light interior. 05 AT got screwed with the Hondata Reflash
Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Cruisin'

Well, being a TSX noobie, I feel I have to put my $.02 in. I'll try to be objective

I just sold a 1993 BMW 320 with 175k on it, and in perfectly good running condition (the new owners are ecstatic). I bought an '04 TSX (silver on black, auto) with under 40k on it. Having driven the Bimmer for 9 years, and having done mostly my own maintenance, I decided that it was time to let go of a 14 year old car, and get something newer, something that won't require nearly as much maintenance and cost a little less to keep on the road. After doing much research within a certain budget, the choices came down to a '04 BMW 325i or the TSX. After much painful deliberation, trying to be as unbiased as possible, I decided to go with the TSX on the grounds that it was slightly less expensive, slightly better city fuel economy, and slightly more interior space. So, after having had it for just over a week, here is how the TSX feels:

First impressions are, a very nice looking car, and the silver colour should hide the minor scratches and stone chips. The interior is fairly well laid out, has nice cup holders and plenty of storage space. The seats are quite supportive and keep you locked in place. The lumbar support is nice too. One of the great features is that the car comes loaded from the factory. I don't have navi, but didn't think I would need it. As a typical Honda, it's quiet and smooth. The car is pretty peppy off the line and in most driving situations. Although I really miss the "real-time-fuel-economy gage", I guess I can learn to live without it. I consistently got 550 km's (342 miles) on a tank during regular commuter driving. I expect the TSX will get at least that if not better.

Now the real fun starts. There are a few favorite ramps, corners, and chicanes that I truly enjoyed taking with the Bimmer, so the obvious thing to do was take the TSX through the same ones. This is where I was very surprised. A particular right sweeping ramp has a speed limit of 60 Kmh, and with the Bimmer, I can very comfortably take it at 140 (87 mph), and with two hands on the wheel at 160 (99 mph) before I get nervous. I was getting nervous at 120 (74 mph) in the TSX. The steering was very jittery and sensitive, not very confidence inspiring to way the least. There wasn't much body roll, but and although I realize that Honda steering is lighter compared to an E36, I didn't expect it to be that sensitive. I was crushed. A few other corners and chicanes and I came to realize that the handling is just not the same.
Some other peeves I've developed are, on the '04, the stereo will not play CD-RW's or mp3...Otherwise, it's a great audio system with good speakers. (yes, the Bimmer had an after market stereo system). Any stone chips reveal a BLACK undercoat/body! I'll be buying touchup paint immediately.

After giving the car a thorough wash, I notice there were specks of RUST under the front of the hood (by the front chrome lip), and along the underside of the drivers door. Holly crap! The car is only three years old! I'll have to see what the dealership say's about that one.

So, overall, do I regret buying the car? No. It's a solid car, with great looks and styling. It's got plenty of power for everyday driving. Does it provide the same feel and handle in the twisties like an older E36, no...But, on the up side, it's new, quiet, comfortable, and hopefully will last a while without any major repairs.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Advanced

Cant regret the car. I only regret not bein able to afford or legally modify the car because I live in California. I'f I was living in AZ this thing would be built up the Ass with a narly header/not that DC stuff.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One regret i had was selling my 97 civic hatch and watching it roll away. I also wish this car had more power out the box, but overall I love my 06 NBP 6speed/navi. Especially since i bought quite a bit of mods that will be coming and that will raise the driving titilation i get from driving the TSexR...
Old 05-15-2007, 04:16 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
no regrets love it would have bought the 04 when it came out but m/r only had the parchment interior. did not like that but the wait was worth it. my 06 mr/eb 6spd/wnav will be 6 months old Thursday, the 17th (did not drive it for a full month) It has almost 16,000 miles on it.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
No regrets, especially at the gas station. Saw an attendant changing to $3.48 per gallon for premium around town. I’m looking forward to putting +150,000 miles on this car. I would only change if they have a diesel TSX with +35 mpg combined driving.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NONE! Of course there are going to be qualms (so to speak) about any car. For the TSX I say a lower stance, better tires, and a little more power.

But then again I'll take a Lamborghini Murcielago (spelling?) and complain that it rides too rough, I can't see a thing out the windows, and there's no room for my carry-on, or my BMW 750 is one of the ugliest cars on the road.

So overall, no regrets.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by gbm
I only have around 4000 miles on my '06, and I'm starting to get very annoyed by the build quality. So many squeaks and rattles. At this rate, it won't be long before I trade it in for my other choice at the time of purchase. Too bad it's such a wonderful car, otherwise.
The TSX is not perfect, but overall, it's an impressive package. Here are my negatives.

* Driver seat squeak was repaired under warranty.
* Car is a bit heavy.
* Braking could be a little better.
* Transmission makes clicking noise when shifting to R or D, a bit louder at times
* Road noise is a little excessive.
* Paint quality on horizontal surfaces could be better.

There are plenty of plusses, but here are a few.

* Honda engine, sound, power, smoothness, reliability, fuel economy are all very good to excellent. Some people complain about power, but Honda engines are all about balance of lots of disparate elements.
* The features are unbelievable in this price range. Try getting half of these features at a decent price with an Audi or BMW. It's not going to happen.
* Exterior styling is very nice. It's understated with some nice details.
* Interior styling is also nice with very good fit and finish.
* Many interior features, while buttons are kept clean and usable, plus they all have good feel and the switches are nice as well.
* Gauges and MID are awesome.
* SS is nice to have when more control of shift points is needed.
* Power seats with memory make getting in and out much easier.
* Climate control is easy to use and very effective.
* Not too big or too small from the outside, but big enough to fit some people in the back seat.
* Integrated Bluetooth and auxiliary input are indispensible, more so the input even though I do enjoy making and receiving calls with the hands free phone ocassionally.
* Windows have strong motors for opening on hot days before getting in.
* Integrated mirrors in side mirrors is nice too.
* Pull-out chrome trimmed door handles are way better than the sad ones on the Audi.

That's enough for now.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Rattles

Originally Posted by gbm
Amen. I have about 22,000km (14,000 miles) on my 2005 TSX now. I love the looks, the engine, and that smooth 6MT, and the handling is pretty good too. But the creeks and rattles drive me mad!

Some of them the dealer (Silverhill in Calgary, AB) have been able to diagnose and fix, but then they come back a few thousand km later. Examples of ones they've fixed that have come back: Creek in center console area, rattle in glove box (it was the strike plate or something?), creek from rear shelf. The last one they fixed a second time and it seems to be okay for now. They told me it was caused by two pieces of sheet metal touching together. (I had a child seat tethered very tightly to the upper anchor point back there; I wonder if that caused the sheet metal to deform enough to cause this?)

Some of them they've never satisfactorily fixed, such as the rattle from the windshield area (the so-called A-pillar rattle, I think). This one only happens when it's cold (about six months out of the year here!), so it's a bit harder to diagnose I suppose.

Does anybody out there build a really solid, rattle-free car? Is it just that I didn't pay enough? I had a ride in a friend's Jag (I don't recall the model, but it seemed like a small entry-level one) and it seemed really solid. How is the Acura RL in this department?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:14 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by gbm
sorry to hear that your 06 has squeaks and rattles. I also own an 06 which I must say does not have that problem-very quiet. I bought it new 11.17.06 and it now has almost 16,000 miles.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

I've had my TSX since last July. I effing love my car. The only thing I would change... is my transmission and interior color I have CGP, gray interior, navi, 5AT. I want the same thing but black interior and 6MT.
Oh well. Maybe after my lease is done
Old 05-25-2007, 07:42 PM
TSX Addict

Originally Posted by BacktoAcura
A particular right sweeping ramp has a speed limit of 60 Kmh, and with the Bimmer, I can very comfortably take it at 140 (87 mph), and with two hands on the wheel at 160 (99 mph) before I get nervous. I was getting nervous at 120 (74 mph) in the TSX. The steering was very jittery and sensitive, not very confidence inspiring to way the least. There wasn't much body roll, but and although I realize that Honda steering is lighter compared to an E36, I didn't expect it to be that sensitive. I was crushed. A few other corners and chicanes and I came to realize that the handling is just not the same.
Hmmm, I think once you are used to FWD cars like the TSX, you won't get as nervous entering corners. Don't forget on FWD cars, the front wheels provide power and turn the car at the same time. So if you haven't done it already, learn how to rotate the TSX.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Now the real fun starts. There are a few favorite ramps, corners, and chicanes that I truly enjoyed taking with the Bimmer, so the obvious thing to do was take the TSX through the same ones. This is where I was very surprised. A particular right sweeping ramp has a speed limit of 60 Kmh, and with the Bimmer, I can very comfortably take it at 140 (87 mph), and with two hands on the wheel at 160 (99 mph) before I get nervous. I was getting nervous at 120 (74 mph) in the TSX. The steering was very jittery and sensitive, not very confidence inspiring to way the least. There wasn't much body roll, but and although I realize that Honda steering is lighter compared to an E36, I didn't expect it to be that sensitive. I was crushed. A few other corners and chicanes and I came to realize that the handling is just not the same.
In terms of pure handling theres no question FR will kill FF any day of th week, especially when you're talking about a 3-series witch pretty much sets the benchmark for handling and balance in a compact sedan
Old 05-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Advanced

My only regret was not buying a used one, and forking out 30k which I had instead of saving some money but oh well somebody's gotta buy em
Old 05-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Power1Pete
Hmmm, I think once you are used to FWD cars like the TSX, you won't get as nervous entering corners. Don't forget on FWD cars, the front wheels provide power and turn the car at the same time. So if you haven't done it already, learn how to rotate the TSX.

Thanks Power1Pete. Before the Bimmer, I drove an Integra for about 5 years. I do remember how to push a FWD to the outter edges of the performance envelope, it's just been a while...

And if you're interested in my comparison earlier, take out an E36 or one of the new '06 3 series and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

the poll needs to have an option added:

yes, some regrets, but it's still the car for me.

that's what most people would probably vote for. i, for instance, think the tsx is definitely the right car, but i should have waited and gotten the MT instead of taking the AT off the lot.

and maybe i should have gotten pwp. MAYBE
Old 05-28-2007, 02:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
but i should have waited and gotten the MT instead of taking the AT off the lot.

and maybe i should have gotten pwp. MAYBE

I corrected both of those mistakes.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:47 PM
TSX Addict

Originally Posted by BacktoAcura
And if you're interested in my comparison earlier, take out an E36 or one of the new '06 3 series and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
I should look into that.

Perhaps hijack my co-worker's '07 335i coupe...
Old 05-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by cconrad
Amen. I have about 22,000km (14,000 miles) on my 2005 TSX now. I love the looks, the engine, and that smooth 6MT, and the handling is pretty good too. But the creeks and rattles drive me mad!

Some of them the dealer (Silverhill in Calgary, AB) have been able to diagnose and fix, but then they come back a few thousand km later. Examples of ones they've fixed that have come back: Creek in center console area, rattle in glove box (it was the strike plate or something?), creek from rear shelf. The last one they fixed a second time and it seems to be okay for now. They told me it was caused by two pieces of sheet metal touching together. (I had a child seat tethered very tightly to the upper anchor point back there; I wonder if that caused the sheet metal to deform enough to cause this?)

Some of them they've never satisfactorily fixed, such as the rattle from the windshield area (the so-called A-pillar rattle, I think). This one only happens when it's cold (about six months out of the year here!), so it's a bit harder to diagnose I suppose.

Does anybody out there build a really solid, rattle-free car? Is it just that I didn't pay enough? I had a ride in a friend's Jag (I don't recall the model, but it seemed like a small entry-level one) and it seemed really solid. How is the Acura RL in this department?
Sorry, but my '04 now has around 23K miles on it and rattling/squeaking has never been as issue with the car. Yes, road noise can be a tad on the excessive side on some very textured road surfaces, but the car has been, and is, very tight and solid. After driving my g/f's late-model Civic quite a bit now, it's a joy to get back into my TSX. If you want rattles and road noise, drive that car.

For me, the TSX has been a pleasure to own and drive. I still get excited every time I get behind the wheel.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Instructor

So,

(a) I am pickier or have better hearing than you; or
(b) I got a lemon; or
(c) You got lucky.

I'm not saying that everything rattles. I'm saying that I can hear some rattles. I don't like that. I'm sure it doesn't help that Calgary roads are not very good (winters destroy them) and the cold climate seems to make some of the creaks worse.

Yes, I know that the cheaper cars are much worse. I just want to hear NO creaks or rattles.

Any other thoughts? Do I just keep badgering my dealer to try to tighten everything up? They're probably getting sick of me.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by cconrad
So,

(a) I am pickier or have better hearing than you; or
(b) I got a lemon; or
(c) You got lucky.

I'm not saying that everything rattles. I'm saying that I can hear some rattles. I don't like that. I'm sure it doesn't help that Calgary roads are not very good (winters destroy them) and the cold climate seems to make some of the creaks worse.

Yes, I know that the cheaper cars are much worse. I just want to hear NO creaks or rattles.

Any other thoughts? Do I just keep badgering my dealer to try to tighten everything up? They're probably getting sick of me.

Hate to get into this again but I've had 2 o4's that rattle horribly. Obvioulsly not all 04's do but is it any coincidence that CR's reliability for the 04's is worse than the 05+?

Its a first year build, there are bound to be things wrong with it.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:32 AM
WFC
Intermediate

Being single, every time I see a 350z pass by I kick myself in the ass for not spending a few grand more. But as I said, I'm single. Other than that the car is fun to drive, has a nice look to it, and if I get 150-200k out of it, how can you complain? But, the damn thing has more creeks and rattles than my grandmother, and for 28k, that shouldn't be an issue. Neither should having to go back and forth with the dealership over obvious qualms that should be attended to. But I guess that's typical of most places. Overall, I'm fairly satisfied.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rb1

Tire pressure is exactly where it should be and I upgraded the tires to Bridgestone Pole Positions (which ride better - according to Tirerack.com). I still think the ride is stiff and busy.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom
Hate to get into this again but I've had 2 o4's that rattle horribly. Obvioulsly not all 04's do but is it any coincidence that CR's reliability for the 04's is worse than the 05+?

Its a first year build, there are bound to be things wrong with it.
Hmm, except (a) they were already building these at least a year before as the Accord for Europe and (b) mine is a 2005, so in any event it wasn't the first year.

Oh well.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

I had a Saab before this and it was quicker and had some nicer features (better onboard computer, huge trunk, more power ...). The Saab also had its own set of troubles are stupid features.

At the end of the day I have some regrets on the TSX in that it is a bit less powerful that I think I might like. On the flip side, I find myself driving much more sensibly now that I did before in the Saab or the 325I(older one).

All in all I am cool with the decision.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Race Director

only regret still is the lack of power sometimes, especially when i want to accelerate from a deadstop and an idiot in a neon overtakes you

also, wish there was more rearseat legroom.

you know too bad the TSX didn't start with a price of like $24-26K because didn't the 99-03 TL and TL-type S have a $28-31K price tag? i think that is actually a better deal pricewise than a TSX.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Honda does engines.

I had no idea that Neons had so much power and weighed so much less. Those might even be faster than a TL, but would anyone really want to trade entire TSX package for the entire Neon package? I understand that the power would be nice, but truthfully, that's all you're really getting with the Neon.

230H
250T
2900LBS

As for regrets, I have a couple of minor issues that I wish were better or not there. I have a very slight rattle in the passenger A-pillar that I will ask the dealer to take a look at. The auto trans makes an audible click at times when engaging D or R that I wish were not there. The noise level on concrete is way higher than it should be. As for power, I think it's fine. We all want more power and better fuel economy, but overall both are very good meaning that both are there when you need it. Lastly, the ride is a little stiff on the highway. Overall, the TSX is still the best value out on the market, it's fun to drive and there aren't so many of them on the road.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:51 AM
it's a car-drive it

the only regret is I did not buy it sooner

Quick Reply: Anyone regret buying their TSX?