Anyone get jealous of your Tsx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004 | 03:20 PM
Race Director

Anyone get jealous of your Tsx?

Another person at work drives a Tsx and she and I are buddies, but she works in another division. She told me that some of her coworkers are jealous of the Tsx cause they think its an expensive car and they always make fun of her cause they say gosh we pay you too much.

I don't know I don't think people are jealous of my Tsx, I hope not, only time when some cars want to race me, like once a 00 Maxima wanted to race me, I'm like thinking he would beat me, cause the Maxima is 255 hp vs. 200 hp, oh well. I let him go ahead of me.
Old 02-12-2004 | 03:33 PM
Photography Nerd

I never could understand the argument about certain cars not having "the right corporate image". I'm not ashamed to make money. Why should I drive a shitbox to make other people feel better about the shitboxes they're driving?
Old 02-12-2004 | 03:43 PM
Bite my shiney metal ass.

Probably about 4 times I've been asked "How much that cost, like 33 or 34?" I just say w/ my shitty grin, "Nope, 26" That's when their jealousy kicks in.
Old 02-12-2004 | 03:49 PM
Pro

I never could understand the argument about certain cars not having "the right corporate image". I'm not ashamed to make money. Why should I drive a shitbox to make other people feel better about the shitboxes they're driving?
Difficult question. Personally, I don't think I could drive into work in a brand new Jaguar or something, because it gives the impression that I am irresponsible with my personal finances. If I waste my own money, my boss and coworkers will assume I am just as wasteful with the company's money. Therefore, I am passed over for promotions/new responsibilities in favor of the guy driving a civic and saving up money for his kids' college fund.
Old 02-12-2004 | 03:53 PM
Pro

Probably about 4 times I've been asked "How much that cost, like 33 or 34?" I just say w/ my shitty grin, "Nope, 26" That's when their jealousy kicks in.
Along those lines: One guy, after riding in my TSX asked "So, how many cylinders does this car have? 6 or 8?". Thats what the TSX is all about; exceeding expectations. Performance, tons of luxury features, and great looks for $26k!
Old 02-12-2004 | 04:00 PM
Bite my shiney metal ass.

Originally posted by TSX Hokie
Thats what the TSX is all about; exceeding expectations. Performance, tons of luxury features, and great looks for $26k!
Old 02-12-2004 | 04:26 PM

The average price of a new car here has topped 30k. The TSX is under that price. Any fool that says the car is expensive is an absolute moron.

Anybody jealous of anyone else is a sad story for a human being.
Old 02-12-2004 | 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

who would be jealous of a TSX except maybe minimum wage earners? its a pretty cheap car (can is 35k, US is 27k), similar in price to a loaded camry or accord. and just looking at the badge even the uninformed will know it cant be that much since its an acura. o well...if you drove a MB those people would think you won the lottery or smth
Old 02-12-2004 | 04:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Along those lines: One guy, after riding in my TSX asked "So, how many cylinders does this car have? 6 or 8?". Thats what the TSX is all about; exceeding expectations. Performance, tons of luxury features, and great looks for $26k!
those are pretty dumb ppl give them a ride in a lexus ES and they prolly think you got elected president.
Old 02-12-2004 | 04:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The one guy at work who asked me about price completely freaked out when I told him how much. He was freaking out at how expensive it was, because it looked comparible to his civic.
Old 02-12-2004 | 04:42 PM
OG

Originally posted by gilboman
who would be jealous of a TSX except maybe minimum wage earners? its a pretty cheap car (can is 35k, US is 27k), similar in price to a loaded camry or accord. and just looking at the badge even the uninformed will know it cant be that much since its an acura. o well...if you drove a MB those people would think you wont the lottery or smth
Dumb ass^
Old 02-12-2004 | 04:46 PM
ySL
Advanced

who would be jealous of a TSX except maybe minimum wage earners? its a pretty cheap car (can is 35k, US is 27k), similar in price to a loaded camry or accord. and just looking at the badge even the uninformed will know it cant be that much since its an acura. o well...if you drove a MB those people would think you wont the lottery or smth
hahahahaaha........gilboman = the truth

i swear some people here think the TSX is luxury
Old 02-12-2004 | 04:52 PM
Photography Nerd

Difficult question. Personally, I don't think I could drive into work in a brand new Jaguar or something, because it gives the impression that I am irresponsible with my personal finances. If I waste my own money, my boss and coworkers will assume I am just as wasteful with the company's money. Therefore, I am passed over for promotions/new responsibilities in favor of the guy driving a civic and saving up money for his kids' college fund.
I don't want to give the impression that anyone should buy a car that they can't afford. I'm just saying that I never really considered what my coworkers would think about my car because quite frankly, I really don't care what they think. I think most people that work with know that I am good with money and what I drive is well within my means.
Old 02-12-2004 | 04:55 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by ySL

I'd call it entry-lux. What do you think it should be?
Old 02-12-2004 | 05:00 PM
OG

Originally posted by ySL

Another dumb ass.
Old 02-12-2004 | 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Anyone get jealous of your Tsx?

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I don't know I don't think people are jealous of my Tsx, I hope not, only time when some cars want to race me, like once a 00 Maxima wanted to race me, I'm like thinking he would beat me, cause the Maxima is 255 hp vs. 200 hp, oh well. I let him go ahead of me.
It's funny that owners of slightly more upscale cars--say, those entry-level semi-luxury models with 6-cylinders--would even consider racing cars with lower technical specs. What does that say about the Maxima driver? Funny!
Old 02-12-2004 | 05:27 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

a lot of arrogant POS's around here

SICK - you're an ass

gilbo - never mind

People who think they're better than everyone else are infrequently correct
Old 02-12-2004 | 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by justinjsw
Another dumb ass.
dumbass who thinks FWD I4 is a luxury sportsedan don't worry, your buddies won't find out you dont drive a luxury car or sportsedan. maybe one day when you win the lottery you can buy a MB and they'll be even more jealous
Old 02-12-2004 | 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jcg878
a lot of arrogant POS's around here

SICK - you're an ass

gilbo - never mind

People who think they're better than everyone else are infrequently correct
should people be jealous of camry's and accord's too since they cost the same as a TSX?
Old 02-12-2004 | 06:26 PM
Advanced

should people be jealous of camry's and accord's too since they cost the same as a TSX?
It is not about the price, it is about the features. Personally, the TSX has al the luxury features I could ever want.
Old 02-12-2004 | 06:45 PM
Pro

It might help to mention it's sold as an Accord elsewhere in the world.
Old 02-12-2004 | 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Besides, what's real luxury in a car that's under $100K? Not much if anything.

Common and mass-produced do not make a car "luxury". And certainly not inferior depreciation (residual values) or mediocre to below average reliability. This makes an opportunity for relatively modest cars to easily outshine vaunted name plates. It escapes me to ponder where any jealousy would be for over-hyped, over-priced cars with spotty reliability and reputation.
Old 02-12-2004 | 07:00 PM
OG

dumbass who thinks FWD I4 is a luxury sportsedan don't worry, your buddies won't find out you dont drive a luxury car or sportsedan. maybe one day when you win the lottery you can buy a MB and they'll be even more jealous
No dumb ass....just like you think you are driving a luxury car because its RWD...now thats a TRUE dumb ass.

Secondly what ever comes out of your mouth has no merit with me.
Old 02-12-2004 | 07:01 PM
Racer

Hey dude, you forgot Altima's! Can't go a block without seeing one of those!
Old 02-12-2004 | 07:10 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Because ... beyond the fact that I like to believe I'm halfway careful about money, if I drove a Bimmer or a Benz everyone at the company would think I'm overpaid. Which I am, but there's absolutely no point to advertising the fact!

"The average manufacturer's suggested retail price of cars and light trucks bought last month was $30,481, up 2 percent from the average sticker price in November and 4.6 percent higher than a year earlier.

Strong incentives and normal negotiation kept the average actual selling price well below that. In December it was $26,077."

Proving that TSX buyers are no more wasteful than anyone else! (But I usually explain my car as "a European Honda Accord"!)
Old 02-12-2004 | 08:42 PM

who would be jealous of a TSX except maybe minimum wage earners? its a pretty cheap car (can is 35k, US is 27k), similar in price to a loaded camry or accord. and just looking at the badge even the uninformed will know it cant be that much since its an acura. o well...if you drove a MB those people would think you won the lottery or smth
Harsh but I agree with the lad. People would think you spend 40-50k on an entry level C-class or 3 compared to a TSX or IS 300 usually.
SICK - you're an ass
jcg878, I don't know who you are bub. Hell loaded Altimas are 29k. The new Kia Amati (yes Kia) is 28k loaded. Camrys and Accords top 30k. The Maxima is over 30k with options. Evos and STis are 30k. Seems every SUV, no matter how good or how sorry, is at least 30k.

We had a discussion on Clublexus and I stated that there is now a huge blending of what is lux/not-lux with all the new cars nowadays. The 30-40k entry level lux market is the fastest growing car market (and very profitable since these cars are mostly all based on cheaper cars). The borders were easier to see 5 years ago, with the new competition it is tougher now to state what is luxury.

If I was going to be jealous of a car, I'd go all out and be jealous of the guy in a Enzo or Murchialago or something. I guess?
The average manufacturer's suggested retail price of cars and light trucks bought last month was $30,481, up 2 percent from the average sticker price in November and 4.6 percent higher than a year earlier.
That u for stating this for people who thought I made it up.

Even nowadays, NAV, leather, fake wood, HIDs can be had on the Mazda 6, 3, Focus etc. Which car doesn't have leather and fake wood nowadays? The new Ford 500 will offer AWD and a helluva interior as well. Will it be considered near luxury?

I'd call it entry-lux. What do you think it should be?
Well the 30-40k market is called that. I have no idea what the sub 30k market is. Calling it a luxury anything is kinda an oxymoron.

Alas, without the name calling, this thread brings up a good point. What is entry level luxury, what is luxury?
Old 02-12-2004 | 09:17 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
jcg878, I don't know who you are bub. Hell loaded Altimas are 29k. The new Kia Amati (yes Kia) is 28k loaded. Camrys and Accords top 30k. The Maxima is over 30k with options. Evos and STis are 30k. Seems every SUV, no matter how good or how sorry, is at least 30k.
An Accord tops 30K? According to Edmunds.com, an Accord EX V6 with navigation system tops out at $28,400.
Old 02-12-2004 | 09:36 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah I guess I was in a mood when I wrote that, but I think you misinterpreted what annoyed me. I don't think the asking price of a TSX is very high, and isn't impressive from a 'wow you can afford that?' standpoint. But statements like "Any fool that says the car is expensive is an absolute moron" are pretty arrogant. It's not expensive to me, it's obviously not expensive to you, but there are lots of people less well off than you and I are.

The average manufacturer's suggested retail price of cars and light trucks bought last month was $30,481, up 2 percent from the average sticker price in November and 4.6 percent higher than a year earlier.
What does this mean? Out of context, nothing - is this the mean price of a new model, or the mean of all new cars sold? I have a hard time believing that the 'average' American with the median household income of $42,400/yr spends >$30k on a new car. I'd wager that the median of all new cars sold in the US is lower.

Well the 30-40k market is called that. I have no idea what the sub 30k market is. Calling it a luxury anything is kinda an oxymoron.

Alas, without the name calling, this thread brings up a good point. What is entry level luxury, what is luxury?
That is a good point that I'm curious about as well. The TSX is obviously aimed to compete with low-end near-lux cars (A4, IS300, etc), but what class is it in? Who knows. CR just reviewed several 'upscale sedans', a category they place 30-40k near-lux cars in (including the TL and IS300). They're reviewing the TSX in September, and I have no idea in which category they'll compare it. Camrys and Accords? A4s and 9-3s?

The label is difficult to place and obviously doesn't really matter, despite how often it's debated here. One could say that it's a credit to Acura that the car is cross-shopped with so many other types of cars, though one could argue the opposite just as easily.
Old 02-12-2004 | 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

No dumb ass....just like you think you are driving a luxury car because its RWD...now thats a TRUE dumb ass.

Secondly what ever comes out of your mouth has no merit with me.
yes...sorry..i forgot the mighty FWD I4 is way better than I6 RWD when it comes to sportsedans, and the luxury brands are slowly working on FWD platforms for their flagship cars. Ferrari will come out with a model higher than an ENZO with FWD, making it a true supercar..sorry my bad... i wish i could win the lottery and buy an Acura with FWD and call it a sportsedan.
Old 02-12-2004 | 09:49 PM
OG

yes...sorry..i forgot the mighty FWD I4 is way better than I6 RWD when it comes to sportsedans..sorry my bad... i wish i could win the lottery and buy a TSX so people would be jealous of me.
None of those words ever came out of my mouth...only yours...thats why I say...you are a dumb ass. No you need to go win the lottery and buy yourself a freaking life.
Old 02-12-2004 | 10:35 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally posted by ySL

Sorry Gilbo, when i win the lottery i'll go out and buy that 50K dollar bimmer...until then, this average middle class fella is gonna live by his means....snob
Old 02-12-2004 | 10:45 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

since we're throwing out statistics in "The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy" by Thomas Stanley he found that (circa, don't have my book w/ me) 75% of American millionaires have never bought a car over $30k.

its great that people misguidedly think there is some linear correlation that the more money you spend the better it is. I'm much more proud of the value of my car than how much I spent.

as far as naming goes, i could care less where other people classify the the TSX, cause I know where I'd put it.
Old 02-12-2004 | 10:57 PM
04 remembrance

Yeah, people are in disbelief when I tell them it's an i4, and that it was also under 30k.
Old 02-13-2004 | 01:48 AM

I just think either luxury cars are gonna have to not just step up with features but service and extras to make the extra cost to consumers more attractive. Since some of these new cars are so loaded nowadays. good for consumers all around
Old 02-13-2004 | 02:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by xizor
since we're throwing out statistics in "The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy" by Thomas Stanley he found that (circa, don't have my book w/ me) 75% of American millionaires have never bought a car over $30k.

its great that people misguidedly think there is some linear correlation that the more money you spend the better it is. I'm much more proud of the value of my car than how much I spent.

as far as naming goes, i could care less where other people classify the the TSX, cause I know where I'd put it.
best value you can get is a kia...
Old 02-13-2004 | 02:08 AM
Burning Brakes

None of those words ever came out of my mouth...only yours...thats why I say...you are a dumb ass. No you need to go win the lottery and buy yourself a freaking life.
the I4 FWD > I6 RWD is your calling card though
Old 02-13-2004 | 08:23 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Why do we ciontinue to argue with Gilbo? We know he has nothing good to say, we know he licks Toyota/BMW balls, we know his opinion means nothing. But yet he still manages to get under our skin? I say good job Gilbo, keep it up.

But you might want to throw in a complement every now and then to keep whats left of your credibility.
Old 02-13-2004 | 10:01 AM
Pro

When Honda/Toyota makes a featured-loaded I6 RWD sports sedan for $26k, I'll be the first in line to get one. However, until then, I'm quite happy with my I4 FWD car that has about the same feature list and performance numbers as the BMW 325i or Lexus IS300....without being either a yuppie-mobile(325i) or rice-boy toy(IS300).

If I6+RWD was the ultimate formula for the 'perfect car' you would think more than two manufacturers would make sedans with this configuration. Fact is, every design choice comes with drawbacks; I6s take up more space than V6s and are 50% worse to maintain than I4s. Not to mention the generally better fuel economy a 4-cyl provides. RWD adds hundreds of pounds over FWD and is worse in the snow, regardless of tire type.

Gilbo is perfectly entitled to his (correct) opinion than a I4 FWD car generally will not perform quite as well a RWD I6 car. However, he fails to understand that not every driver has the same set of priorities as him. I personally will never pay $8k+ more for a car just because it's the same brand everyone else at the country club drives.
Old 02-13-2004 | 11:34 AM
OG

My calling card?...plz tell me you are joking. Its never been my calling card...I wouldn't play dirty like that and steal that card from you.
Old 02-13-2004 | 12:14 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

excuse me if anyone's offended, but

Quick Reply: Anyone get jealous of your Tsx?