2007 TSX Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007 | 08:54 PM
Advanced

2007 TSX Audio System

Hello,

Just wondering how the stock audio system is on the 2007 Acura TSX is. Give me some input so I can gauge if I should upgrade as soon as I get it.

Thank you,
Dinis Passarinho
Old 06-10-2007 | 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Really?

Its more than fine for most, but some people still pursue the upgrade. The only way to find out is to go listen to one for yourself. A good idea would be to take a favorite CD of yours to the dealer with you for a test drive.

If you want to know specifics about it or read up on how to upgrade it, check our Audio & Video subforum: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/
Old 06-10-2007 | 09:21 PM
Advanced

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply. I honestly didn't really listen to the audio but I saw the brochure and it mentioned something about eight speakers and a 360Watt AMP so for some reason I thought it would be pretty nice. Just looking for some general opinions

Thank you,
Dinis Passarinho
Old 06-11-2007 | 02:25 PM
Instructor

GiftMonster: Like yourself, I read the literature and thought, hmmm, eight speakers and 360 watts. Should be pretty good. And I too was more interested in other things on the test drive so I didn't check it out. Then when I drove it home, what a shock! The so-called premium sound system is a sham. (Disclaimer: I had been listening to a fine after-market system in my RX-7 for ten years, so I was spoiled.) Mine is an '04, but from everything I have read the new TSX's seem to have the same sound system.
Here are the problems I found with the sound:
There are only two "equalizer" ranges for adjustment- BASS and TREBLE. It could at least use a MID-RANGE (like some of the cheapest cars I've ridden in have.)
The door speakers are WEAK. They are flimsy and rattle even at mid-volume.
The dash "tweeters" have poor reponse above approx. 10K hertz.
The rear deck speakers (supposedly for bass) are just muddy-sounding regular oval speakers, not even close to sub-woofers.
The radio reception is the worst of ANY car I have ever owned, with interference noises on all radio channels, including the strongest FM stations in my city.

So I gutted everything but the head unit. Replaced the door and dash speakers with much higher quality ones, cut out the rear deck speakers and put a sub- woofer in the trunk and a new amplifier. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done about the radio reception with the original tuner still in there, but I mostly listen to CD's anyway. And at least what radio I do listen to has MUCH better sound range and balance now.
I would say if you value real quality in your sound system be prepared to do some up-grading. Its a GREAT car, overall. Just not in the sound department. And I am not at all disappointed that I bought it. (Disclaimer #2: One advantage of the new TSX's, which my '04 doesn't have, is satelite radio. I presume that solves some of the tuner issues I've experienced.)
Old 06-11-2007 | 03:12 PM
mrgold35

The audio system is the only part of the car I don't brag about to others. I give it a C- overall, XM is what keeps it from getting a D. To tell the truth, the TSX audio system is no different from other Honda vehicles I've owned in the past, all about D- to C+ ranges. Very easy fix with all the aftermarket choices out there. I haven't experience TL/RL/MDX systems yet.
Old 06-11-2007 | 03:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The audio system is the only part of the car I don't brag about to others. I give it a C- overall, XM is what keeps it from getting a D. To tell the truth, the TSX audio system is no different from other Honda vehicles I've owned in the past, all about D- to C+ ranges.
Yep.
Old 06-11-2007 | 03:58 PM
Advanced

i love my radio fm reception is good aux input is good xm is a little low on volume but thats an xm problem since i've noticed it on every xm reciever i've tried(home or car).
bass is good highs are good mids are good and no rattles i think sound is a very personal thing everybody likes it different. for my taste its more that awesome i couldnt ask for more.
well yea i can ask for more. the mark levinson on the new ls models that thing is the benchmark.
Old 06-11-2007 | 04:07 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

It's tough because the stereo system is something that's very subjective. Someone who is used to aftermarket systems is not going to think it sounds very good, while people who are use to factory stereo systems will probably say it's good.

I switched out my stereo after having the car 8 days. Not because the system sounded terrible, but mostly because I was getting an alarm installed and wanted to use the parts from my old car. When I had a dealer loaner 06 for a couple of days, I thought that the system actually sounded better than I remembered. The system sounds pretty good for a factory system, but like I mentioned, audiophiles will be dissappointed. My main complaint is that the bass of the 6x9s is bad and just rattles the back deck. They should have put some sound insulation from the factory on that deck, cuz the bass rattles is probably the #1 complaint from most users.
Old 06-11-2007 | 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

The radio is what I am most disappointed with in my car. My old Golf had a Monsoon system that is regarded by the VW community as kind of a sham, so I thought the Acura Premium 360 watt stereo would be at worst similar.

It blows. I'm not the guy who hooks up his stereo, but I've been researching speakers, amps, and subwoofers. The sound on the XM is embarrassing. It makes FM sound like a CD. I find myself listening to all inputs much louder than in the Golf to hear anything.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but if anyone reads this and wants to talk about basic, read bang-for-buck or worthwhile budget upgrades, I'd love a PM.
Old 06-11-2007 | 04:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by james41
I don't want to hijack the thread, but if anyone reads this and wants to talk about basic, read bang-for-buck or worthwhile budget upgrades, I'd love a PM.
There is a lot of info in Audio & Video on upgrading the TSX's system. Just do a search or scan the thread titles going back 10-15 pages.
basic upgrade: replace door speakers, dash tweeters, and rear deck 6x9
middle upgrade: replace door speakers, dash tweeters, remove 6x9, add sub+amp
top upgrade: replace all speakers, replace head unit, add amp, add sub.
Old 06-11-2007 | 04:56 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by james41
... The sound on the XM is embarrassing. It makes FM sound like a CD...
I have read that this may be somewhat inherent to the XM format (e.g. the digital compression) as opposed to the radio in the TSX, but I don't know for certain.
Old 06-11-2007 | 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rb1
I have read that this may be somewhat inherent to the XM format (e.g. the digital compression) as opposed to the radio in the TSX, but I don't know for certain.
This is correct. XM radio has a very high compression format and does not offer a clear signal to any of its receivers.
Old 06-11-2007 | 10:01 PM
Advanced

Hello,

Thank you

Anyone have any idea on what a good subwoofer and amp combo would be? what would I need to wire it

Thank you
Old 06-11-2007 | 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Read reviews and impressions on different members' setups in the Audio & Video section, but that kind of info is better found on other (full-time) car audio sites than ours. Do some research and come back with a few top picks, and maybe people can help guide you better.
Old 09-16-2007 | 05:34 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

i dunno about you guys but on my 04 tsx i think the stereo is very good. not an audiophile or anything, but throw in an ATB cd and crank volume to 30, and the thing sounds damn better than most factory systems. maybe higher end audis and bimmers are better, but the tsx is very acceptable for me.