07 5AT shifting issues!!! help please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 5AT shifting issues!!! help please.

so my 07 5AT has been shifting funny. ever since the below zero weather in chicago..........
in 1st, it revs to about 3k with gentle acceleration but stutters when it shifts to 2nd. it floats around 3k - 3.5k before shifting..
when im about to come to a complete stop, it feels like it tries to engine brake that last few mph before i come to a complete stop.. kinda noticed that it goes away after the car is thoroughly warmed up.. anyone else got this issue?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I never worry about funny things that cars do before they're warmed up when it's extremely cold. If you feel an irrepressible urge to do something about it, flush the transmission fluid and refill.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced

i think its a little to premature to flush the trans fluid.. only have 10k clocked on it.

it was really weird when i floored it and it actually revved up to 5k before dropping down 3k rpm and then actually spinning the wheels forward.. it was almost like it netral dropped itself.....
Old 02-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar issue in Tampa when it was like 30 degrees a couple months ago......dealer changed powersteering pump (go figure) but fixed the issue.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LAHORE1
I had a similar issue in Tampa when it was like 30 degrees a couple months ago......dealer changed powersteering pump (go figure) but fixed the issue.
really? the powersteering pump affected the weird rpm jumps?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I never worry about funny things that cars do before they're warmed up when it's extremely cold. If you feel an irrepressible urge to do something about it, flush the transmission fluid and refill.
Wow... a little bit over the top no?
Here's an idea.. take it to the dealer and have it checked under warranty.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Advanced

yeah.. i will soon but i have a feeling there response will be:
sorry nothing wrong we cant duplicate the issue
Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Over the top? No. Why would you be excessively concerned about a behavioral quirk under conditions that are not all representative of normal operating conditions (an edge case scenario in the parlance of computer engineering)? If the situation resolves itself completely once normal conditions are achieved, I don't see a lot of reason to be concerned.

The temperatures in the mid-west have been hanging out around 0 (and it's been windy as all hell) for the last couple nights. Automatic transmission are almost always less smooth when they're very cold. It sounds like the servos are just having a hard time pushing the cold, thick fluid through the hundreds of tiny passages inside the transmission.

If it continues to act funny when it's warmer, then I'd be a little concerned. In these conditions, I wouldn't. Just let it warm up a little longer before driving.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
08TSXSILGARMIN

All 4-5AT do this when there cold WARM UP YOUR CAR BEFORE YOU DRIVE IN COLD AND EVEN WARM WEATHER, YOUR CAR WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT (sry 4 caps rofl)
Old 02-11-2008, 05:41 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by goon54

it was really weird when i floored it and it actually revved up to 5k before dropping down 3k rpm and then actually spinning the wheels forward.. it was almost like it netral dropped itself.....

Did you have your VSA on? I believe thats the VSA kicking in and also the DBW lag.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Over the top? No. Why would you be excessively concerned about a behavioral quirk under conditions that are not all representative of normal operating conditions (an edge case scenario in the parlance of computer engineering)? If the situation resolves itself completely once normal conditions are achieved, I don't see a lot of reason to be concerned.

The temperatures in the mid-west have been hanging out around 0 (and it's been windy as all hell) for the last couple nights. Automatic transmission are almost always less smooth when they're very cold. It sounds like the servos are just having a hard time pushing the cold, thick fluid through the hundreds of tiny passages inside the transmission.

If it continues to act funny when it's warmer, then I'd be a little concerned. In these conditions, I wouldn't. Just let it warm up a little longer before driving.
Hey.. there is actually someone on here with common sense..

Perfectly normal. You can't expect to start a car and just go out and drive it in 0 degree weather conditions and expect it to perform as if it's 75 degrees.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by weeeerd
Hey.. there is actually someone on here with common sense..

Perfectly normal. You can't expect to start a car and just go out and drive it in 0 degree weather conditions and expect it to perform as if it's 75 degrees.
My experience has been different. I'm in the middle of my third winter with the 05 and I've never noticed any shifting irregularities. Winter temps. here run probably 15-25 (early morning) and the car sits outside two nights a week. The mornings following those nights, when I leave, I usually don't warm it up (I subscribe to the school of thought that allows that the car will warm up much faster in motion under load) so I basically get in, start it, run 30-45 seconds and go. The transmission doesn't seem to act any differently in the cold weather (my wife's experience is similar in the 07, and that sits outside 5 days a week, all day).
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Drifting

I don't know where you're at Simba but it's been extremely cold in the Midwest through the north east. The OP stated he's in Chicago and it's probably been extra cold there. I wouldn't expect transmission funniness in 15 to 25 degree weather as it's not all that cold. Sub zero temperatures on the other hand are enough to turn your ATF into molasses. My 6mt has even been noticeably stiffer in the morning lately.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:02 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thread title is misleading because it's not a shifting issues.

I'm in Toronto, Canada. Temp is around -12c right now, with wind feels like -25c... lol. I will stop whinning.

Anyways, this will happens when your car is not warm-up (enough). When I get out in the morning, I started my car to warm up, and I have a cig. Took me about 3-4mins to finish, then I jump into my car and go. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry and skip the warm up section, the rpm will spark in 2nd --> 3rd gear; from 3K rpm to 5K rpm. However, this will NOT happen if you go very gentle on the gas even in SS.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Did you have your VSA on? I believe thats the VSA kicking in and also the DBW lag.
its on but VSA will not let cha rev up to 5k then drop to a lower RPM to get traction. its been pretty icy out here and when the wheels slip, u'll never get over 3 or 4k RPM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuson
The thread title is misleading because it's not a shifting issues.

I'm in Toronto, Canada. Temp is around -12c right now, with wind feels like -25c... lol. I will stop whinning.

Anyways, this will happens when your car is not warm-up (enough). When I get out in the morning, I started my car to warm up, and I have a cig. Took me about 3-4mins to finish, then I jump into my car and go. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry and skip the warm up section, the rpm will spark in 2nd --> 3rd gear; from 3K rpm to 5K rpm. However, this will NOT happen if you go very gentle on the gas even in SS.
um.. its shifting issue cuz the ECU hestitates btwn 1st and 2nd. i do warm up the car for 5mins before i leave the garage.

thanks for the reply.. im gonna head to the dealer this weekend when it gets a little warmer.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Drifting

I think it's less the ECU hesitating than it is the actual mechanics of the transmission operating slower than usual due to the extreme temperatures. And FYI, idling in park doesn't do much to warm up the ATF.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Advanced

this gets better. last nite, it was super sluggish. doesnt want to climb the RPMs when u floor it. so i tried SS mode, i dont even have a indicator on what gear its on............
cant wait to explain this one to the dealer tomorrow. i think the snow and ice and get stuck revving and spinning for 20 mins did some work on the trans...........

now... worst case scenario
i dont want a remanufactured trans in a 2007 car.. can i somehow get the dealer switch out my car completely?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Drifting

So what, you turned VSA off and floored it for 20 minutes or something? If so, congratulations, you just killed your transmission.

There's definitely something wrong though with these new symptoms. You'd be very, very unlikely to get a new car out of this.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Advanced

i had the VSA on and off trying to get out.... But VSA doesnt really help u get out of a little ice trench.
anywho... the transmisson acted up before i even killed it. i didnt have the gear indicator on before i got stuck in the alley.........
so lets see what happned tom. and hopefully i'll get a tL or a RDX for a loaner
Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

Yes, but you initially suggested flushing the transmission fluids!! That is what I meant by over the top.
Now, you are back-tracking yourself in saying that he should wait until normal operating conditions...

Further more... to the OP... why the heck are you sitting on a forum, asking these questions to TSX owners???
I'll say it again... take your 2007 Acura TSX, which is under manufacturer's warranty, to the dealer.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Drifting

My initial advice was to do nothing. The flush was only suggested if he couldn't handle doing nothing. Quoting my original post: "If you feel an irrepressible urge to do something about it, flush the transmission fluid and refill." I think I was pretty clear. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Now with the new symptoms which had either not occurred yet or he just did not mention, I would say yes, take it to the dealer.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dthondatune
Further more... to the OP... why the heck are you sitting on a forum, asking these questions to TSX owners???
I'll say it again... take your 2007 Acura TSX, which is under manufacturer's warranty, to the dealer.
im on here like most other peeps... hopefully learn something.
if u actually read the post, im heading to the dealer tom.
thanks for ur input
Old 02-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Drifting

goon, never spin your wheels at high speed when trying to get yourself unstuck. Firstly it won't work. Secondly, when only one wheel is spinning, as most cars with an open differential will do when they get stuck somewhere, this is very rough on your transmission, particularly the differential.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

im on here like most other peeps... hopefully learn something.
if u actually read the post, im heading to the dealer tom.
thanks for ur input
I'm not tryin' to be a dick, ok.

It's just that most of us owners, even the mechanically inclined ones, could never tell you what might be going-on inside as complicated a system as a transmission.
That's all.
In the meantime, the more you drive it like that the worse it gets.

What concerns me is that if you listen to some of the suggestions on the forum, then wait on the dealer thing, you may completely blow the trans.
Or what may happen, is after you've spent two weeks flushing the fluids, and ressetting the ECU...the dealer is gonna say "F-you, it's your fault for performing the wrong fixes, and not bringing it sooner" and charge you for the repair.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

My initial advice was to do nothing. The flush was only suggested if he couldn't handle doing nothing. Quoting my original post: "If you feel an irrepressible urge to do something about it, flush the transmission fluid and refill." I think I was pretty clear. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Now with the new symptoms which had either not occurred yet or he just did not mention, I would say yes, take it to the dealer.
You wrote it. Bad suggestion. Sorry.

This is how people blow engines, transmissions, etc.
They go on mycarsforum.com, and someone tells them "put 150 shot of nitrous on there yo. It'll be phat."
Boom... no more engine.

IF Warranty, THEN Dealer as soon as humanly possible.
Period.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Drifting

The way the issue was stated initially it sounded like a one time thing that had fixed itself. If it wasn't going to be possible to reproduce, there'd be little point in bringing it to the dealer. At this point the definition of the problem has changed and I'm in full agreement (as is the OP) that it's dealer time.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Your claim that the dealer would somehow deny warranty work because some one changed fluids on their own is ludicrous. They would have to be able to show that the changing of the fluids directly caused the failure.

My advice to not worry about what at the time was described as a one time occurrence under extreme conditions is perfectly reasonable as I think most of even the slightest mechanically inclined here would agree with. There just wasn't any reason to be significantly concerned about what was described. You seem to be suggesting that no one think at all about anything their car might do and instead panic immediately. Sorry, some of us know better.

Arguing with you is pointless and adds no information to this thread so you can call me stupid any way you want, but I'm done responding to you.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Advanced

i've had the issue randomly last week. it acted up this weekend. drove it last nite to get my taxes done and havent gotten a chance to get to the dealer. i have no intentions for flushing or resetting guys. like i said, thanks for ur input guys and im heading to the dealer tom nit. and dont plan to drive it anywhere else.
there really is no pt for you two to argue who said what and its incorrect and what nots..
Old 02-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced

so i got my car back.. they swapped the entire transmisson out.
a piece of metal chipped out of a bearing, messed up the differential, and shot a hole thru the bell housing. dont ask me how the heck it happened but the dealer took care of it while i cruised for a week in a 08 MDX .. SWEET!
now just gotta wait for the weather to clear and mount my RonJon Devotions !
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
so i got my car back.. they swapped the entire transmisson out.
a piece of metal chipped out of a bearing, messed up the differential, and shot a hole thru the bell housing. dont ask me how the heck it happened but the dealer took care of it while i cruised for a week in a 08 MDX .. SWEET!
now just gotta wait for the weather to clear and mount my RonJon Devotions !
Wow. Glad the problem was fixed. Hopefully this one lasts.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Wow, that's a random and dramatic failure.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 PM
ink

I don't think that this requires a new thread but my '06 nbp does this too and I live in FLORIDA. Should this be happening? I let my car warm up to about 7rpm. We're talking a good 6 min in the car before take off. It was suggested to change transmission fluid.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slightly unrelated, but last time there was a crazy snowstorm in Toronto, I was at an intersection and this Azn kid in a Audi A4 (non quattro) kept spinning his wheels (as in flooring it) trying to get traction turning left at a light. He had his windows down and had this smirk on his face thinking he was really cool. Well, when he was gone and I went through the intersection, this burning smell went into my cabin...I think his tranny was toast.