Old 06-23-2004, 11:07 PM
dit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse Glow Gauges

how easy is it to install gauges. i want to get them but i am car retarded
Old 06-24-2004, 12:53 AM
10th Gear

I don't know, but I saw an Acura Mod Book at an Advanced Auto Parts...might want to try something like that...or pay someone else.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:05 AM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is easy, search for the post that setp by steps this. Main thing to look out for is removing the part of dash assembly with the vents, the area around the vents breaks easily if too rough
Old 06-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Quality Over Quantity

here's the post with the instructions gauge instructions , it's the 11th post posted by TL-Ridaz96.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Quality Over Quantity

Well, i decided to install my reverse glow gauges today! And i'm stuck! I got the dash cluster out after fighting with it but managed to do so without breaking anything. With the cluster out and the clear plastic shield out to the way, i can't figure out how to remove the needle so i can replace the gauges. I don't want to pull too hard and break the darn thing. Is there a speciel way to do this? I know that i should be delicate since it could throw the needle readings off a bit.

BTW, i'm also documenting the process with prictures so others will have an easier time doing this. Other problems that i'll run into is where to splice the power to the new gauges into. I'm not going to use the fader and the colour switch that cam with the gauges, i want to use the factory fader and have the gauges remain blue, no need to switch to green.

The lsat two things shouldn't be too hard to do, but i still need to figure out how to get these things on first!!! If any of you read this....please help me out since my vehicle is not drivable until i get it done. I don't want to assemble everything and do it all again next weekend.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2004, 03:58 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

they go over the needles
Old 06-26-2004, 03:59 PM
fight ninja! ya!

I've heard that the needles come off. But I've also heard that they don't. (odd, I know) I would have to suggest that you VERY carefully slide the needles through the hole in the center of the new guage.

There also have been problems with the needle getting stuck at a certain degree, or even not moving at all. This can be corrected with a fine sandpaper to take a mm or 2 from the guage face hole.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Quality Over Quantity

Is there a reason why i can't edit my previous post? Anyways, I have managed to install the gauges over top of the original, found this out by looking at the second gen how to. I did a little bit of trimming so that the wires run out the back of the cluster.

I ran into trouble when i was planning to use the factory dimmer instead of the one that the new gauges were attached to. Insulted my dad and he did some test with a multi meter and came to the conclusion that i couldn't use the factory dimmer becuase of a component that was housed within the dimmer wouldn't allow it to work properly. That idea was scrapped.

My main problem now is that i don't know where to draw the power from for the gauges. I looked in the fuse panel under the dash and there isn't a spot where i can get power. There is spots but nothing compatable to turn on the dash when the front lights are on. I don't want the gauges to light up constantly, only when the are supposed to, when the lights are on.

Any suggestions??? There's gotta be someone who has a first gen that has done this. Time's running out before i reassemble everything.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:32 AM
All about JDM

I installed mine no problem. Slid them over the needles and didnt have to trim anything. I ran power to the gauges from the power line used for the clock. I just spliced them together. Works like a champ!
Old 06-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Quality Over Quantity

Originally Posted by 982.5TL
I installed mine no problem. Slid them over the needles and didnt have to trim anything. I ran power to the gauges from the power line used for the clock. I just spliced them together. Works like a champ!
What combination of from the clock did you use? I noticed that they ar labeled on the clock assembly, from left to right looking at the terminals:

Battery:Ignition:Light:Ground

Abviously i would use the ground for the black wire. Now would i use the ignition or the light terminal? Would i be right if i said the light terminal? Since the clock would actually dim when i turn on the headlights hence tell the gauges to light up?

I'm almost done....all i have left is to wire the power and reassemble the trim. Everything else is in place.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Tyger: How did the install of the guages go? just wondering since I cant seem to get mine hooked up yet.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Quality Over Quantity

It's all done. I have documented the process but haven't had a chance to do a decent "How-To" Guide. Feel free to ask ?'s and i'll try to answer it from my experience.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Racer

Did you end up tapping into the clock for you gauges to work? Did you use the ground and lights location on the clock wires for it to work? Do they stay on constantly or just when the lights are on? I tried to get it connected to the parking light combo switch( red black ground and red green power) but all I got was the 'lights on' chime to come on and no juice to the indiglos. I then tapped the light wire (solid red with 2 grey spots) and they came on but with the keys not in and the light switch off so they were constantly on. So till I get back home I dunno what way to get them to work. When I do get back I"m going to Acura to see a friend to check it out. thanks
Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tyger
What combination of from the clock did you use? I noticed that they ar labeled on the clock assembly, from left to right looking at the terminals:

Battery:Ignition:Light:Ground

Abviously i would use the ground for the black wire. Now would i use the ignition or the light terminal? Would i be right if i said the light terminal? Since the clock would actually dim when i turn on the headlights hence tell the gauges to light up?

I'm almost done....all i have left is to wire the power and reassemble the trim. Everything else is in place.
Is that how it works, if you attach the power wire to the clock "light terminal?" I'm not sure what that is, is that a wire in the dash? That would be sweet, i definitely want the gauges to only turn on if the headlights are on...I have some Gauges on order as well, little nervous about the install with all the stuff going back and forth on the boards! Oh well, it will be an experience thats for sure. lol
Old 07-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Quality Over Quantity

Did you end up tapping into the clock for you gauges to work? Did you use the ground and lights location on the clock wires for it to work? Do they stay on constantly or just when the lights are on? I tried to get it connected to the parking light combo switch( red black ground and red green power) but all I got was the 'lights on' chime to come on and no juice to the indiglos. I then tapped the light wire (solid red with 2 grey spots) and they came on but with the keys not in and the light switch off so they were constantly on. So till I get back home I dunno what way to get them to work. When I do get back I"m going to Acura to see a friend to check it out. thanks
I did end up using the ground and light leads from the dash clock. The gauges will only turn on with the parkings lights on and of course when the front lights are on also. Not quite what i wanted but what the heck.....that's what the dimmer is for. I don't know why yours are constantly on without the keys in the ignition. FYI i have a '97 2.5tl, if that makes a difference.

Is that how it works, if you attach the power wire to the clock "light terminal?" I'm not sure what that is, is that a wire in the dash? That would be sweet, i definitely want the gauges to only turn on if the headlights are on...I have some Gauges on order as well, little nervous about the install with all the stuff going back and forth on the boards! Oh well, it will be an experience thats for sure.
When you take the dash trim off, the clock will also come off with the trim. There will be multiple plugs that you will have to unplug to remove the whol trim including the plug that goes into the back of the dash clock. What were talking about are these terminal the plug goes into. this is were i'm drawing the power for the guages from. BUT the gauges will shine when the parking lights are on also.....bummer.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:02 AM
All about JDM

I like how the gauges shine when the parking lights are on. I did the fog light wiring splice thing to where my fogs come on with the parking lights, and i drive with them on 24/7, parking lights with fogs during the day, and then headlights of course during night driving. Honestly, during the day you cant even see that the guages are lit up. Doesnt bother me at all.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Racer

Got mine hooked up with the clock. It works just fine and comes on with the parking and headlights. I like the look of the white face but wish I could have found a set with white faces but with silver numbers and markings instead of the blue. but I like the look. thanks for help.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:02 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
can anyone put together a "How To For Dumbies" on this thread??? I want to install some myself but with all the confusion and pieces of info through out the thread it's hard to keep it all straight.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Racer

[img] 'http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=000000&bg=FFFFFF&migration=1&imag e=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/618000-618999/618268_24_full.jpg', 575, 461 [/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 11:29 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Boarder.97.TL
[img] 'http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=000000&bg=FFFFFF&migration=1&imag e=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/618000-618999/618268_24_full.jpg', 575, 461 [/img]

Hey boarder, thanks for the reply, but can you fix your link? Thanks dude
Old 09-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Racer

Sorry about that, Im at work now so I cant add anything, but if you check out my cardomain website (link in my signature) there are some pictures on there referring to the guage install...