Engine cut off in the middle of driving, and now car won't start. Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
1998 Acura 3.2TL, Silver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine cut off in the middle of driving, and now car won't start. Any Ideas?

Hey guys - I hope this isn't the end of the road for my TL, but this morning, while I was driving to work the engine cut off and the CEL started flashing. I was able to start the car back up, but 3 miles later it did the same thing. This time it would not start up. Just a lot of cranking. Fortunately, both of these incidents happened in a place where it was safe to pull over. I ultimately had to get it towed (thanks AAA) to the nearest shop I knew of (also AAA).

They're not my regular mechanic, but I was in a bind, and I needed to get to work. Has anyone had this issue before? It sounds like the fuel line is blocked, but I can't be sure. In my many attempts to crank it, it sounded like it was almost going to start, but it fails. I guess I'll know more when they tell me the diagnostic codes.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:02 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I would assume something with the fuel. Perhaps a bad fuel pump? A clogged fuel filter shouldn't cause the engine to die out like that... But a bad fuel pressure regulator might.

~Cheers~
Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM
1998 Acura 3.2TL, Silver

All right. So AAA calls me back and says it is the fuel relay, which is better than the fuel pump. I'm hoping that's all it is. The damage is as follows:

Part - $143
Labor - $200

I think sounds like a ripoff but, there's not much I can do. Does that sound right to you guys?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hashrock
All right. So AAA calls me back and says it is the fuel relay, which is better than the fuel pump. I'm hoping that's all it is. The damage is as follows:

Part - $143
Labor - $200

I think sounds like a ripoff but, there's not much I can do. Does that sound right to you guys?
My wife's '98 3.2 did exactly the same thing yesterday for the third time. Was able restart after a couple hours and park it in the garage, where it now sits, and won't start again. I suspected a fuel pump or relay issue, given past experiences with fuel injected cars, so AAA's diagnosis sounds spot on. And $343 for an Acura repair?....count your blessings and Merry Christmas! I was bracing for $1000+.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rwpow
My wife's '98 3.2 did exactly the same thing yesterday for the third time. Was able restart after a couple hours and park it in the garage, where it now sits, and won't start again. I suspected a fuel pump or relay issue, given past experiences with fuel injected cars, so AAA's diagnosis sounds spot on. And $343 for an Acura repair?....count your blessings and Merry Christmas! I was bracing for $1000+.
Follow up to my last:
The culprit was the Main Relay Assembly, (Relay Assy., Main 39400-SZ5-A01, $67.14 at the dealer). The root cause was a cold solder joint on one of the two relays, as can be seen by pulling off the relay cover. Options here include replacing the relay or reflowing the cold solder joint and saving the $67.14 plus tax. Buying a new relay at a sympathetic dealer usually gets you a copy of an exploded parts view (CONTROL UNIT-CABIN(V6)) that comes in handy to identify the culprit relay. The relay is black plastic, labeled MITSUBA, is 2.5" tall, 2.6" wide, 1.25" deep and has two multi-pin connectors emerging from the bottom. I found my relay up under the dash, on the left side of the driver's position. It is very hard to see. Access to it can be improved by (1) removing the lower plastic dash trim (two phillips screws) above the driver's knees, (2) removing the sheet metal brace held in place with three bolts requiring a 10mm socket, and (3) removing the two bolts that secure an octopus-like sheet metal bracket that serves to mount 5 or 6 solenoid/relay/controller devices. Freeing up the bracket gives a little freedom to manuever for a better view of the MITSUBA main relay assembly. The secret to removing the main relay is to PUSH UP on it, not pull down as might be more instinctive. After that, it's simple. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Main Relay Assy

Folks
My car did the same thing. About 2 days ago - at a stop light - it just died with a very gentle shudder, Never did that before - just quit while it was running.

I cranked it and it started right back up and I dismissed it as a freak incident.

Yesterday - went shopping to Costco. Came out and the car refused to start up. It would crank as usual - look like it's going to start up but never did. Had it towed to a nearby Acura dealer who diagnosed it to be a degrading Main Relay Assy.

Got it changed - damage was $70 part + $120 labour

Hope it helps somebody who is seeing their car exhibit this behavior...