Dusted a 330ci yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 03:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Dusted a 330ci yesterday

Living in Oregon where there are tons of roads where 2 lanes merge into 1, there seems to be a lot of "racing". Well, from a green light to about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile later, i dusted a BMW 330ci driving by a crazy 40ish woman driver. Man that thing was quick but thankfully my extra 30 hp from the Type II engine gave me a slight edge. I was about 2 car lengths ahead by the time I hit 60 mph. BTW, this was all slightly uphill.

Anyone else have a GOOD "kill" ? (i.e. a car basically equal in power/weight to ours)
Old 08-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Only thing that I ever seem to get that's willing to race are little Civic's..they always pull beside on the Highway and want to go, then I have to show them what 2 extra cylinders of Honda power can do... Our cars are PURE highway cars, that is until I get the Legend 6 spd installed.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:39 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Ken, how much did you pay for your Type II heads and ECU? I am looking at doing this in the spring, I want to pick up the heads this winter and have my friend port them out for me though, might as well have it done first save having to take the heads off again to do it later. Just curious what you paid for everything. LMK, thanks man!
Old 08-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Cornflake
Ken, how much did you pay for your Type II heads and ECU? I am looking at doing this in the spring, I want to pick up the heads this winter and have my friend port them out for me though, might as well have it done first save having to take the heads off again to do it later. Just curious what you paid for everything. LMK, thanks man!
Just over 1300 bucks but this included new belts/water pump AND labor. I'll have to dig out my receipts.

If you need your belts replaced and water pump, i suggest you do it all at once since you're taking apart the engine anyway.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Cool. Yeah, I'm almost due for timing belt/water pump anyways... Did you get the heads from a wrecker? How can you tell the type II heads from Type I heads to look at them?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 AM
All about JDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, im such a n00b when it comes to engines and mods and stuff. Ken, can u explain what all went into the Type II conversion. What exactly needed to be done for that. Im very curious.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:32 AM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by Cornflake
Cool. Yeah, I'm almost due for timing belt/water pump anyways... Did you get the heads from a wrecker? How can you tell the type II heads from Type I heads to look at them?

a type II head says type II on it ...lol its where the covers on our engines are at
Old 08-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts

Ken, that's quite an awesome kill. Those 330's do a lot with their low numbers. The inline engine gives them a broad flat torque band.

Manual 330's would regularly chew up 2nd gen TL-S's in the magazines. I was smacked down by a red one driven by some 18 year old a while back. Damn that was embarassing.

Way to strike a blow against the Germans.

I posted an Infiniti J30 story a while back. That's about it for equal cars.

I get buzzed by Civics and Integras quite a bit. I think it's because I have painted front calipers... I painted them to match my girlfriend's car (yeah yeah you haters).

Anyway, I regularly take those to the cleaners. It seems that the vast majority of riced up Integras are not GS-Rs. I'm sure one of these days a real Integra will show my ass.

I wonder, has anybody taken on a GS-R?

By the way, these smilies make this forum the greatest one ever.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:58 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

been a while since i raced anyone but i have a few i will never forget... before anyone flames about street racing.. i know and we all know thats not cool, but hey we all did stupid things when we were younger right?..

TL vs. M3.. i ran a M3 at the tracks back in the days... it was a gold colored M3 that looked really nice.. the owner of the car was some guy from the middle east.. as we pulled up to line up for the 1/4 mile race, he just looked at me and gave me a "yeah..whatever" look.. this fool was so cocky.. (i'll explain in a bit) he does a burn out on his street tires and thought he was so cool.. as for me, i just lined up at the light.. well, as the light turned green, we both took off... he had a jump on me, but i turned on the happy gas and started to creep at the end of first gear..near the end, i was neck and neck with that fool.. the conclusion was that i barely beat him.. can't remember the exact times, but it was in the high 13s. i remember i beat him by less that .0XX seconds.. as we drove back in the return track, i could see that he was pissed.. as we went to the pits, i followed him to his pit area and tried to start a conversation and see what he had under to hood.... the reason why i said hes a cocky fool was because he wouldn't pop his hood nor answer my question.. what he said next that pissed me off was.. " ah..you got so f*cken lucky..i miss shifted..blah blah blah.." well, later that day.. i saw him running about the same times... excuses or not i still beat a M3.. i've been looking for Notorious Racing Crew.. they filmed me beating the M3, but i never got it from them.. anyone know any old member from that crew from L.A.?

TL vs. NSX.. another story from a long time ago..well this story isn't a kill story, but it was funny for me.. i was on the 22 freeway and i saw a red NSX. i drove right next to it and started revving on him.. he and i started to weave in and out of traffic.. we were just messing around for a while.. i kept up with him pretty good thru traffic.. he then started to calm down and drove normal again. so for me i was having fun, so i revved again while i was passing him... i think i pissed him off..haha.. so as i was flooring it... i see him in my rear veiw mirror speeding up.. i turned on my NOS and we were off once again.. he drove behind me because we were weaving once again and as we got the the 405/22 merge..there was mad traffic...i started to slow down and i came to a complete stop... the guy in the NSX changed lanes into my lane and slammed on his brakes... when he started to brake hard, i saw his bumper light fall off.. why? i dont know..hehe... you should of seen the look on his face.. too funny.. anyways...well, this was my only encounter with an NSX..

TL vs. C5 vs. Carrera now this is a "killed my TL" story in '01.. i was cruising on Whittier blvd on a sunday night.. as everyone started to take off, i got on the 605 freeway.. as i got on, there was a black corvette that entered from another onramp... i was bored so i revved on him... of course he just blew me off like nothing.. it was fun though.. well as i tried to catch up to the C5, there was a newer silver Carrera that i flew by... when i finally caught up to the corvette, i saw some blue HIDs in my rear view mirror... the corvette stayed on the 605 while i turned into the 60, as well as the carrera.. the carrera saw me getting smoked by the corvette and probably wanted to toy with me also.. he flew past me and started to slow down in the lane next to me.. as i got closer, he floored it and he was off.. so once again, i turned on the happy gas... he was ahead of me by a car length and was coasting around 150... i then caught up with him and we were side by side... the guy in the Carrera looked dumbfounded and started to look and see what kind of car i was driving.. he looked stumped.. maybe impressed... i don't know but hey.. i had fun racing some nice ass cars..
Old 08-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Banned

Yeah I dust some cars, sometimes. Our cars got good get up. Congrats Ken
Old 08-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Instructor

We've def. got good midrange power. I've got a totally stock engine and I'll def. get a run on people if they try to do something silly when we're on the highway.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 982.5TL
Man, im such a n00b when it comes to engines and mods and stuff. Ken, can u explain what all went into the Type II conversion. What exactly needed to be done for that. Im very curious.
The different heads cause a slight loss in torque (about 4 foot pounds) and an increase of 30 horsepower. The reprogrammed butterfly valves change the intake timing. (A new Type II ECU is needed to actually gain any power)

Basically it has slightly different valves, MUST be run on premium and increases the redline by about 500 to 600 rpms.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:24 PM
All about JDM

What about Vtec, did the type II's have that or am i makin that shit up??? Again me = n00b. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 982.5TL
What about Vtec, did the type II's have that or am i makin that shit up??? Again me = n00b. Thanks.
Nope no VTEC. Just a different intake timing (all Acura V6's have a variable intake and variable exhust using butterfly valves that open/close flaps, controlling the airflow).

Basically the Type II gives you more top end power past 5500 rpms.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:45 PM
LDH
I

hey TLxRaCeR is the Notorious Racing Crew all bmw's? I've seen a few cars around here with notorious stickers on em
Old 08-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Nope no VTEC. Just a different intake timing (all Acura V6's have a variable intake and variable exhust using butterfly valves that open/close flaps, controlling the airflow).

Basically the Type II gives you more top end power past 5500 rpms.
So you lose a bit of torque (acceptable) and gain 30 HP. How does it feel behind the wheel, does the car feel any quicker? And the ECU you have, that will have to be swapped to a 6 spd ECU when you change the tranny (I would think, there's usually a few diff. btw manual and auto ECU's).
Old 08-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey ken,

so all you need to do type II conversion are the free flowing heads from the type II and the type II ecu. What about the valves...do u need new set of valves....i remember reading somewhere that they were 1mm large or something...or am i just imagining that?

Where did u get ur parts from. I know a local mechanic ...friend of mine that worked at a honda/acura place for quite a few years so hes got expereince. I figure if i can get him the heads and ecu...he'll be able to put them on. I really like the idea of the type II conversion....not at all ricey...preserves the luxury and dignified image of the TL whilst giving a truly wothwhile upgrade in the power department.

Oh, and one more thing...is the loss of midrange and low-end power noticeable?

Sorry for the questions...just really interested in the conversion. And by the way WAT A KILL. I remember reading a review in Motor Trend about 2000 330Ci. With manual it ran 0-60 in about 6.7 seconds I beleive and those inline motors are supposed to be pretty damned powerful. Congrats.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, the valves are different too. Different valve timing (fixed obviously) and ECU.

An automatic equipped Type II can do 0 - 60 in the low 7's.

I'm assuming this BMW was an automatic (I assume a 5 speed auto) due to the fact that I won (barely) and the fact that i didnt see the lady move her arms. Those 330's are quick and have the gearing for acceleration (hence their dismal gas mileage). OTOH we have fairly aggressive gearing too.

I got my parts from Auto Adventure which is in Portland Oregon, they specialize in Hondas/Acuras only. Basically its a junkyard with a WIDE variety of stuff.

As for loss of power, I honestly don't notice any loss. Its only 4 foot pounds of torque. 206 verses 210, so its negligible. The 30 hp IS noticeable though. The engine seems to be far more alive after 5000 rpms than previously. It just keeps going and shifts at around 6800 rpms.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info Ken....u say low 7's for a type II automatic...i'm assuming you got these figures from type II legends...but aren't our cars about 100 to 200lbs lighter. I'm assuming this would make for quicker times. Maybe even able to break 7 sec?

BTW, I figured since everyone was retelling "kills" i'd tell my own.

Ac vs. Civic
Can't even call this a kill...blew his doors off.

Ac vs. 2002/03/04 Camry XLE V6 - White, Tinted Windows, "Bling-bling" stereo.
Took off from stoplight, he was about a car length behind me. Went to bout 90 then he gave up... the shifts lanes and trys again. I hit about 85% throttle and after a few seconds and 95mph he backs off. Behind me for about 2 - 3 minuites. I'm cruising at bout 75 (55 zone). Look in mirror and see his camry far in the distance. all of a sudden he shifts lanes and slams the pedal. Didn't realize he had floored it until he was about 5 car lengths away. I drop the hammer 100%, ac downshifts and surges forward. He came right upto my rear bumper, and by that time that sweet 3.2l V6 had had enough and my baby pulled away! Proud of kill cause car was a new gen camry and depending on model had 4spd or 5spd auto. Motor Trend says those things (02) do exactly 8 sec from 0-60. Pretty impressive for 96 ac

Coupla other ones...but those were unevenly matched. Dumbass would be driving teg with buzzy exhaust and 18 rims and is basically sitting at stoplight when i take off.

BTW, anyone have stock 0-60, and 1/4 times for our car from a reputed mag...Motor Trend, or Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc. Just wondering how these cars perform. Heard 0-60 about 8sec...but they seem to be a lot faster.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

I say low 7's just to be conservative.

I know my 3.2 weighs 3406 pounds with a stock stereo and nothing else added (except mudflaps).

So yes, we're about 100 to 150 pounds lighter than a GS Legend sedan.

I suppose 0-60 in 6.9 seconds or 6.8 is possible/reasonable assumption with appropriate elevation, air temperature and tires.

Regardless, its pretty quick and that lady in the BMW was MAD that she got cut off...
Old 08-27-2004, 08:44 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Originally Posted by LDH
hey TLxRaCeR is the Notorious Racing Crew all bmw's? I've seen a few cars around here with notorious stickers on em
i dont know.. the last time i saw them, they all had random cars.. hondas/acuras/nissans..
Old 08-27-2004, 09:13 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

typeII motor for sell on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...917710880&rd=1
Old 08-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLxRaCeR:

"so i revved again while i was passing him..."

Old 08-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Instructor

So at 80 mph, you shifted to neutral and "revved" at him?
C'mon man, a little sense would serve you good.

You know what, wouldn't suprise me if I opened your door and saw a matching set of Fast&Furious glowing seat covers, mirror cover, floor mats and shifter ball.

Wait a second, didn't you just wreck your car?

Now, I give props to people like ken1997tl who take the initiative to do things the right way, and have enough common sense to realize that the stock engine could use some improvements before doing other things.

I doubt you were filmed by a crew.
I doubt any of those stories are true.
I doubt you have nitrous (if you do, good luck).
And lastly, I doubt you're older than 16.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Instructor

$hit, man i'm so sorry!

I got your name confused with that deluxe concepts kid.

I've seen your tl before and i know you've put more work into it than almost anyone here.
When i read your messages, i was picturing that kid saying " yeah, i get high 12's with an intake and exhaust".

hopefully you'll understand my situation here

sorry again man, just a brainfart
Old 08-28-2004, 12:58 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

hahaha.. i was like wtf?!.. hahaha.. its all good.. honestly, if i heard the same stories, i wouldnt believe them either without any proof.. well, for the people with doubt, i'll just post some photos to back me up..here they are..

These aren't my fastest times, but they are the only timeslips i could find.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird. My 330 (all stock) makes my TL (also all stock) feel so slow. My 330 is a 6 speed though, not automatic. That might make up for it.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

BMW's have gearing meant for acceleration. Honda automatics are notorious for being luxurious/easy-going rather than meant for speed/throttle-response.

The only exception I can think of is the Accord wagon with an auto. The final drive ratio is ridiculous and I kid you not, around town (0 to 40 mph) its as fast as my TL.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
hey ken do u have a phone number or contact for that place in oregon??? i am considering this swap... also were u able to get any pics???