RL or TL???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL or TL???

I know I'm likely to get a bias resonse asking this in an RL forum but...

I'v had it with my integra, I want a bigger more comfortable car. I am a fan of Acura vehicles as is my wife (and her EL), I just dont know which one to go with. I realy do like the look of the RL over a 99+ TL, but my concern is reliability.

Are there more known common issues with TL's ro RL's ? and are the common issues a 100 dollar fix or 1000 dollar fix?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Money

I have not heard of any issues with either car. Reliability with Acks isn't much of an issue
Just base your decision on whether you want a more comfortable sedan, or more sporty feeling sedan. Im guessing you can guess which is which
Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Cruisin'

I have a '03 CL-S (same engine as TL-S) and an '02 RL. The 1st generation RL is built like a tank and very reliable. The TL and CL are also very reliable. Consumer Reports rates both the TL and RL very well.

The ONLY thing I don't like about my '02 RL is the gas mileage. The RL has a 4 speed auto transmission and 4th gear isn't high enough to drop engine RPM into a more fuel efficient range. Most on this board probably get around 16-17 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. The TL has a 5 speed auto and with moderate driving you should get around 19-20 city and 30-33 highway. The TL and CL did have major recalls on the auto transmissions. If you shop for a TL make sure you check on the transmission issue. Other than the tranny issue the TL is a great car as well. Go for the TL-S which has more power.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
the TL has a major transmission problem, but IMO looks better than the first gen RL ... however I have also heard that the first gen RL is the best Honda ever built in terms of reliability ... if I had a choice though I would probably go with a low mileage second gen so that way i can get the tranny replaced and i would be golden
Old 06-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
The RL is a classic and extremely reliable

I researched the 03-04 RLs to death before ultimately deciding that an 08 TSX better fit my needs (manual transmission, smaller footprint).

But boy was the RL a hard one to turn away from. My dream find was a Hawaii or Alaska model that did not have the NAV. I think it was also a special order for the 48 states.

It has a classic look, and a handsome interior, especially the silver or dk blue over gray interior.

These RLs are extremely reliable -- just check out the Consumer Reports reliability ratings. I think I remember reading somewhere that the 04 RL ranked in the top 5 cars for reliability that CR ever tested.

The RL was made in Japan and the last Acura made without a VTEC engine, I believe. It's also a lot rarer to see on the road, and the previous owners are likely to have driven them very sedately.

I stuck to researching the 03s and 04s. Even in the last model year, Acura made several changes, including a new steering wheel, beautiful new gauges and some interior trim and exterior colors. They are suprisingly sporty to drive considering their mass. I also liked that you can choose all 4 gears via the shifter; some cars limit you to just D and maybe D3 and D2.

The only downsides to the 1st Gen RLs were the clunky NAV (how long will Acura support with new DVDs?) and the lack of side curtain airbags. Oh, and that really weird green camphor wood trim, a color which no one has been able to explain to me....
Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 AM
10th Gear

I really liked my '96 RL. Had it for 8 years and over 200k. It got to 251k before the engine went (gasket). It is a great riding car, cruises at 80 without any problem. It feels much larger than the TL. The early RL's had problems with the window regulators and the radiators. They are built like a tank. To me, the TL seemed too much like an Accord. I liked the RL because it looked like a Mercedes (under-stated elegance; unlike the more flashy Lexus and Infiniti) but had Honda reliability. None of the Acuras are really very fast considering a stock Subie WRX will outperform any of them....
Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have owned a 90 Integra, and a 95 Legend coupe (6-speed). I currently own a 98 RL and a 04 TL 6MT. My favorite was the Legend coupe, but the TL is nice too.

Purchase an RL if you want luxury and a little sport. Purchase the TL if you want sport with some luxury. You will need to drive both to decide. I prefer the RL but am getting 26 MPG with my TL so it is great for a commute car. I would expect about 21 MPG with the RL as that is what I got with the Legend.

All four Acuras have had minimal maintenance issues. The Legend had a radiator problem, but I was watching for it and caught it early – so no engine damage. The RL had the back window regulators go out, but it was still under an extended warranty. The TL cruise control main switch was replaced this week. But that is the first problem I have had after 70K miles.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
get the RL man!!!!!! It's so fucking reliable, nothing can touch it. LOL the only problem i found on my 96RL with 145k is the window regulator...for real, does anyone knows who make the window regulator for Acura(RL).
Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 AM
10th Gear

The problems with the window regulators seems like a design problem. Both went on my '96. The part number is 72710-SZ3-305 ('96 - 97) and the list is $307. I've seen dealers selling them online for $246. I've seen them on ebaymotors.com for as low as $45 buy it now. The one for '98 - 04 is #72710-SZ3-J13 and it lists at $263
Old 06-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
lol yea i bought it on ebaymotor.cpm for 45$. It's a lot lounder comparing to the OEM.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
hmmmm are you comparing a first gen. RL with a 2nd generation TL? If so, reliablitly wise I would definetly go with the RL. For looks and sportiness..TL FTW