Discussion on Honda/Acura quality in newer cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011 | 05:34 PM
Instructor

Discussion on Honda/Acura quality in newer cars

I had posted this in the 2G RL forum and no one responded, maybe have better luck here. I have been reading about AFS light, brake rotors, vibrations, door handle, squeaks and rattles etc. complains in the 2G RL (some similar issues in TL, TSX etc.). My 1G RL that has been a solid vehicle and still drives like new w/o any squeaks and rattles (almost 100K on it). During it's entire life the only issue was a SRS light sensor that was replaced by dealer/mechanic. I am not hating on the 2G, I was set on upgrading to one in a few years, but am feeling that overall Japanese cars are compromising on quality. This decade seems may be dominated by Korean automakers like Hyundai and Kia (love the Genesis). Brother was looking to pickup a 07-09 Lexus ES350 and found reports of transmission issues (then there's the whole Toyota quality issue). Nissan/Infiniti although vastly transformed has quality issues (personal experience from Maxima and G35). And when it comes to looks, Honda/Acura is really failing.

Do you feel like the early 2000s (2000-2004/5) vehicles from Honda/Acura were of better quality, reliable and aggressive looking vehicles?

I feel I may need to hold on to my cars a lot longer than I thought.
Old 02-25-2011 | 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, let me first preface my remarks by stating what Honda/Acura vehicles I've owned.

Not in chronological order:

1988 Accord
1991 Prelude
1996 Civic
1997 TL
2002 RL
2003 TL
2005 TL

In addition, my folks owned about a dozen Hondas and Acuras over the years, so I have those to keep in mind.

The cars in bold, I currently own. The '97 TL is nearly 200,000 miles strong and has only one rattle that has recently occurred. Without getting into a detailed history of each car, I'll say that they've all been reliable and without squeaks and rattles.

The '03 and '05 TLs were great cars, just not quite what I was looking for in the long run.
Old 02-26-2011 | 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lets list em. Lol

78 Accord hatch cvcc
84 Accord LX 4dr
86 Civic 4dr
87 Accord Hatchback (still own)
91 Accord EX 4dr
00 Accord EX 4dr (still own)
03 RL

Not to mention my mom/sister/brother all currently own and have owned Hondas

They have all had theyre quirks, but across the Accord line fit an finish stayed consistent. Civics were a little cheaply made when compared, but of course thats the way it would be.

I havent had any experiance with any say 2004+ Honda/Acura products, but the interior stylings have improved dramaticly. Now if they could have those designers work on the outside they'd be set.
Old 02-26-2011 | 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I love the interior on the 4G TL and its only recently they (somewhat) fixed the exterior enough for me to consider it.
Old 02-26-2011 | 03:51 PM
Racer

Just my opinion:

This is my first car(1996 RL) and i have beaten the crap out of it for the last 70k miles. I have kept up with the maintenance and it hasnt skipped a beat or anything besides a cooling system issue last year. I have had TL loaners and i like the interiors, i just feel the materials they use are kind of cheap. It all seems like plastic and i just feel the price tags on these cares warrant better or higher quality materials.

Ive also read about the RL and TL issues(trans electrical etc) and i just think again for the price you pay for these vehicles they shouldnt have this many problems.
Old 02-26-2011 | 04:27 PM
Instructor

For the most part, Honda/Acura still produce a quality automobile. I believe the technology has surpassed most of my expectations, especially in the Acura line. The quality control in the domestic Honda/Acura plants still ranks at the top. Although the new Accords have become too much of an american car ...
I've had a few Hondas through the years, and I have to rank the 85 and 98 as my favorites... just add gas and oil, nothing more.....

1985 Honda Accord
1986 Honda Accord
1988 Honda Accord Coupe
1998 Honda Accord
2088 Acura TSX
2010 Acura TL Tech 18"

Still have quality ...
Old 02-27-2011 | 12:37 AM
Instructor

Since you guys are posting what H/A's you had, here are ones I have owned, so far:

1995 Accord LX
1996 Accord EX
1995 Acura Integra GS
2001 Honda Prelude Base
2001 Honda CRV LX AWD
2002 Honda S2000
2002 Acura RL
2006 Honda Element EX 4WD
2006 Honda Civic LX

Recently drove a 2009 TL and hated the exterior and interior. Drove a 2009 RDX and did not like the ride (too bumpy and noisy). I like the 2005-2009 RL, but wary of it due to what I read in the RL forums.

Old 03-05-2011 | 08:17 PM
1st Gear

I am brand new on this website today, and am currently shopping hard for my next vehicle to replace mine or my wife's. Here are my current (*) and past vehicles:
*2002 Acura RL w/87K mi (mine)
*2004 Toyota Camry XLE V6 w/95K mi (hers)
1996 Acura RL (mine)
1996 Mazda Millenia (hers)
1990 Infiniti Q45 (mine)
1986 Toyota Cressida, etc.

I have serious lower back problems and have been totally taken care of with the seats in my two RLs, while I can only go 2-3 hours on trips driving my wife's Camry w/o pain. Both of my RLs have been the best cars I have ever owned, and I expected to just buy a newer RL when it was time. I typically replace vehicles around 100K mi. Now my beloved 02 RL has hit 87K mi and I will need to replace it within a year or so as my wife's car is also getting up in miles. I love the styling of the 05-08 RLS, but then the dreaded 'beak' appeared in 09 and the color combos started to get really restrictive (don't like white or black ext or black int). I too am concerned about the quality decline in general of Toyota/Honda products - my wife's 04 Camry has also been bulletproof but newer ones are not according to CR - esp the V6.

Tested the 2011 Acura MDX and loved the HDD tech (not yet in RL!), but with $4+ gas coming soon I have trouble with SUV size and weight even with new 6-spd auto. Will retest 2011 RL, but my dealer only carries one at a time due to slow RL sales, and no deals available here in NW Arkansas like before when we lived in Houston area.

My brother drives nothing but Honda Accords (06 now) and loves them but not too happy about the current generation either. He gets 35 mpg on trips with his 4-cylinder EXL but his friends with current gen do not do as well. I may hunker down and keep both cars longer, but I would feel safer with one much newer vehicle for long trips.
Old 03-07-2011 | 04:35 PM
Instructor

Agreed, I am planning to keep the RL for a long time as a DD. When buying used, I believe buying a top of the line vs standard model makes sense (ie. RL vs Accord), since due to the price tag difference, I would think that the RL was put together better and has a better interior/exterior when compared with a similar year Accord (or other Acura vehicles in the line-up).
Old 03-07-2011 | 04:52 PM
Rich and Famous

Originally Posted by 9000revs
Do you feel like the early 2000s (2000-2004/5) vehicles from Honda/Acura were of better quality, reliable and aggressive looking vehicles?
Not when I hear Horror Stories of transmissions from that era!

Acuras Owned -
1991 Legend LL
2000 TL
2011 MDX Advance
Old 03-07-2011 | 05:56 PM
Pro

Well i agree with u on some parts i have owned a 96 tl ,06 tl and now an 11 tl..i must say the 96 i brought with 150k on it and it never gave me any issues. Now my 06 i recently got rid of because after 3 years it started to give me to many issues so i traded it in for the 11 already i hear a kind of schreeching when i am at a stand still and turn my steering wheel sometimes.other than that havent had any issues but then again i have only had it 2 mnths and i had the 06 for 3 years before it started to act up.
I see alot of you say for the price it should be better but really look at the competitors for what acura's come equipt with competitors are charging extra..so you get alot for your money with acura but it is still an entry level luxury car ..i was lookin at maxima's,bmw's,audi's,even up until recently infiniti ..for the maxima how i wanted it was the same price as the tl and i refuse to pay the same price for a maxima as a tl .the infiniti m is about 10k over the tl depending on model and you already know bmw how you would like it is out of hand in pricing .

Overall honda's run a long long time if properly maintained ..the older years were better made than now but thats how things are nothing is made how it used to be no matter what car you looking for and every car has it's own seperate trademark issue from a kia up to a bently it's what issue would you rather deal with ...
Old 03-08-2011 | 11:46 AM
The Box

From my experiences:

I've owned 2 1996 2.5TL's. One I sold at 131K, one I still have with 258K on it.
My 02 RL has 146K on it.

My mother and my aunt have an 04 and 03 MDX, I just bought and sold my 2005 TL after only 3 months of ownership.

The reason for selling the TL - the quality is no where near my old TL and my RL. It's not built the same. The 05 with 68K miles on it had more rattles and sounds than my 96 and it just wasn't worth it to me to pay that much $ for something that is worse than an old "beater".

MDX's are the same - on the rattly side.

To me, I feel like the Hondas and Acuras built in Japan are of different quality than the ones made here. Just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2011 | 11:47 AM
The Box

Oh and I did look at the 05 RL before buying my 02. After driving it, I was 100% positive I didn't want it. Too many electronics and it cost almost 3x more than the RL I ended up buying.
Old 03-08-2011 | 01:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vas25tl
To me, I feel like the Hondas and Acuras built in Japan are of different quality than the ones made here. Just my opinion.
I agree and feel the same way, from my personal experience also.
Old 03-08-2011 | 04:31 PM
Instructor

I'm going to have to disagree with that.

Before my 01 RL, which currently has over 182K miles I had a 1997 Accord V6.

That car had the C27, transversely mounted v6, similar to the legend, 1G RL, 1G 3.2TL ,etc.

The 95-97 accord v6 was the only car built in north america with the c series engine. I bought mine with 132K miles and sold it at 153K miles, doing nothing but oil changes. No rattles or issues ever. I miss that car every day.

My previous 2002 Rav4 limited, which I bought new, was built in japan. J was the first digit on my vin #. The front driver AND passenger door lock actuators failed in the 5th year of ownership. Creaks and rattles galore when the engine was cold. Had nothing but hard plastics. The seat mounts were rusted, and the door jamb on the driver's side was rusting.

And I waxed that car 5 times a year, and washed it once a week- at least. Touchless car washes in the winter. It was $26K brand new. Oh and did I mention the check engine light going off every 6 months (it was the emission system). Not too sure if japan built means anything. Oh, and in cold weather, I could feel a draft of cold air coming through the driver's door. I'm never buying new again. The newer Toyotas have lost my confidence.

The RL and accord were assembled with MUCH better materials and have much more solidity.
Old 03-08-2011 | 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

in general, i believe most Japan-built cars are more reliable than US/Canada-built cars. but that was in the older days where imports were really imports and not made in Tennessee or Ohio. nowadays, basically almost all brands are assembled in the US and knowing how lazy we Americans are, we are continuing to see a drop in reliability in Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc....

cutting corners to decrease cost is significantly affecting quality and reliability.
Old 03-08-2011 | 07:11 PM
Instructor

Yup, I agree with you silver_3.5, completely. Auto manufacturers are running their companies like a business now, more than ever before. Especially well established companies like Honda and Toyota.

They are resting on their laurels and the reputation they built over the past 25+ years in North America for quality, dependability, innovation etc. IMO, only underdogs like Hyundai and Kia are putting a real effort into their vehicles.... and it shows, wouldn't you agree? But sooner or later, once their brand becomes popular enough, they too, will resort to cost cutting.

My theory is that car companies are making new cars "look" more pleasing to the eye, and injecting them with advanced features and powerplants to cater to those who purchase/lease new cars every 3-5 years. After the 5-7 year mark, car companies nowadays don't care about those who buy used, since they are not profiting from the sale of a used car with 150K miles, for example. Generally, powertrains will continue to be reliable. It's everything else (suspension components, materials, electronics, etc) that is/ will become compromised in terms of how well they will stand the test of time/ high milage.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you see where I'm going with this..

:end rant
Old 03-09-2011 | 07:45 AM
The Box

Originally Posted by R_R4
I'm going to have to disagree with that.

Before my 01 RL, which currently has over 182K miles I had a 1997 Accord V6.

That car had the C27, transversely mounted v6, similar to the legend, 1G RL, 1G 3.2TL ,etc.

The 95-97 accord v6 was the only car built in north america with the c series engine. I bought mine with 132K miles and sold it at 153K miles, doing nothing but oil changes. No rattles or issues ever. I miss that car every day.

My previous 2002 Rav4 limited, which I bought new, was built in japan. J was the first digit on my vin #. The front driver AND passenger door lock actuators failed in the 5th year of ownership. Creaks and rattles galore when the engine was cold. Had nothing but hard plastics. The seat mounts were rusted, and the door jamb on the driver's side was rusting.

And I waxed that car 5 times a year, and washed it once a week- at least. Touchless car washes in the winter. It was $26K brand new. Oh and did I mention the check engine light going off every 6 months (it was the emission system). Not too sure if japan built means anything. Oh, and in cold weather, I could feel a draft of cold air coming through the driver's door. I'm never buying new again. The newer Toyotas have lost my confidence.

The RL and accord were assembled with MUCH better materials and have much more solidity.
I agree with you, mid 90's accords and civics were bullet proof. But going by your statement below, that is when they weren't leveraging their reputation that they built up

About Toyota's...I just bought a Scion XB a few months ago and it's been a great vehicle. My in-laws have an avalon and a camry, my uncle has a camry and has had a highlander, etc, etc, etc. They have all proved to be good cars IMO.

Cars do break, and once in a while no matter what brand you go with, you may end up with a bad one..like one that was the last one in the assembly line on a Friday evening before everyone goes home

Originally Posted by silver3.5
in general, i believe most Japan-built cars are more reliable than US/Canada-built cars. but that was in the older days where imports were really imports and not made in Tennessee or Ohio. nowadays, basically almost all brands are assembled in the US and knowing how lazy we Americans are, we are continuing to see a drop in reliability in Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc....

cutting corners to decrease cost is significantly affecting quality and reliability.
to all. It's unfortunate that we are seeing a drop in reliability in the major Japanese brands. I hope they are seeing Korean brands become bigger and bigger competition. If I was them, I'd take that very seriously.

In a recent Autonews magazine (I have to read them at work), a Japanese Honda executive was being interviewed and was asked a question (don't take it word for word):
Do you feel that the two car battle between the Camry and the Accord has gained a third threat with the Hyundai Sonata?

Answer: "It has become a competitor." period

Yup, I agree with you silver_3.5, completely. Auto manufacturers are running their companies like a business now, more than ever before. Especially well established companies like Honda and Toyota.

They are resting on their laurels and the reputation they built over the past 25+ years in North America for quality, dependability, innovation etc. IMO, only underdogs like Hyundai and Kia are putting a real effort into their vehicles.... and it shows, wouldn't you agree? But sooner or later, once their brand becomes popular enough, they too, will resort to cost cutting.

My theory is that car companies are making new cars "look" more pleasing to the eye, and injecting them with advanced features and powerplants to cater to those who purchase/lease new cars every 3-5 years. After the 5-7 year mark, car companies nowadays don't care about those who buy used, since they are not profiting from the sale of a used car with 150K miles, for example. Generally, powertrains will continue to be reliable. It's everything else (suspension components, materials, electronics, etc) that is/ will become compromised in terms of how well they will stand the test of time/ high milage.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you see where I'm going with this..

:end rant

I think companies are still trying to make good, reliable cars BUT with today's economy, they've been forced to look at other suppliers for cheaper products. Everyone has. Those products haven't been proven yet. I hope that you are wrong (even though agree with you) because I love buying cars with 120K-ish miles on them when they have a proven track record.
Old 03-09-2011 | 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Agree with this.

Theres been no innovation from either really. Shawd was introduced in the preludr. And full time 4wd was introduced with the civic wagons.

Toyota same thing. Nothing mechanically innovative in a long time. We should be getting like 40+ mpg 4 cyls by now.

Just a comparison, my hoghly modified turbo Accord still gets 30 mpg highway when staying ligjt on boost.
Old 03-09-2011 | 09:54 AM
The Box

Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
Agree with this.

Theres been no innovation from either really. Shawd was introduced in the preludr. And full time 4wd was introduced with the civic wagons.

Toyota same thing. Nothing mechanically innovative in a long time. We should be getting like 40+ mpg 4 cyls by now.

Just a comparison, my hoghly modified turbo Accord still gets 30 mpg highway when staying ligjt on boost.
You mean the new 2012 Civic isn't innovating?!
Old 03-09-2011 | 09:55 AM
The Box

The coolest thing I've seen Honda/Acura come out with lately is the new TSX wagon. I loved it at the auto show.

And look at Hyundai and Kia, I feel like they come out with a new or updated model every couple months.

In the last 2 years - Genesis, new Sonata, new Elantra, Equus, etc, etc, etc....
Old 03-09-2011 | 01:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vas25tl
You mean the new 2012 Civic isn't innovating?!
The 2012 Civic is disappointing in my opinion. Looks very close to a 2006 I used to own (interior may be better) and the Si model has a bigger engine 2.4, but makes the same hp as the 2.0! What!

I bought the 2006 Civic LX - 5 speed new and sold it after 1.5 years due to the horrible DBW Honda put in those cars and some fit and finish issues (dash glue was coming off at two places). I believe that car was made in OH.
Old 03-09-2011 | 02:25 PM
The Box

^It was in red because it was a sarcastic comment.

2012 civic = 2011 civic front end + 2005 Camry rear end.

Old 04-28-2011 | 11:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Well, let me first preface my remarks by stating what Honda/Acura vehicles I've owned.

Not in chronological order:

1988 Accord
1991 Prelude
1996 Civic
1997 TL
2002 RL
2003 TL
2005 TL

In addition, my folks owned about a dozen Hondas and Acuras over the years, so I have those to keep in mind.

The cars in bold, I currently own. The '97 TL is nearly 200,000 miles strong and has only one rattle that has recently occurred. Without getting into a detailed history of each car, I'll say that they've all been reliable and without squeaks and rattles.

The '03 and '05 TLs were great cars, just not quite what I was looking for in the long run.
i loved the 98 tl but the 2.5 engine was a piece of **** for me i will still buy one though knowing its a honda
Old 04-29-2011 | 12:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bigmo85
i loved the 98 tl but the 2.5 engine was a piece of **** for me i will still buy one though knowing its a honda
Well I have the 3.2 motor, same as the '91 - '95 Legend. The 2.5 TL was unfortunately automatic only, the 2.5 motor was quite nice in the Vigor GS with a manual.
Old 04-29-2011 | 07:10 AM
The Box

We have a 2.5 and it's been great. All 260k of it.
Old 04-29-2011 | 09:29 AM
Racer

I think as long as your vin starts with a 'J', you are ok!
Old 05-03-2011 | 11:40 PM
Intermediate

i got my self a 02 rl love it to death bought it with 98k know has 120k, only thing i have changed on it that was necessary was the stock Michelin tires that were worn out and a rear break caliper that was stuck, i have also installed cross drilled roters and ceramic pads, plugs and a kn air filter, in two years
Old 05-04-2011 | 09:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bigmo85
i got my self a 02 rl love it to death bought it with 98k know has 120k, only thing i have changed on it that was necessary was the stock Michelin tires that were worn out and a rear break caliper that was stuck, i have also installed cross drilled roters and ceramic pads, plugs and a kn air filter, in two years
Did you do the timing belt yet? Or was that done before you bought it?
Old 05-04-2011 | 07:54 PM
The Box

As long as the timing be,t is done on time and you stay on top of routine maintenance, they're great cars.

I've been traveling for work and have been to 6 Honda dealers this week so far. I must say after touching and feeling the 2012 civic, I like it!
Old 05-07-2011 | 10:03 PM
Intermediate

i have checked it and it still in good condition so im putting it off till june or july