Starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter problems

2007 RDX having problems starting. It seems that everyone having problems with diagnosing this. There is no rhyme or reason when it starts. When I turn over the engine (at times)- there is nothing- not a sound, but all the lights, radio, etc. works. At other times, it just fires up like nothing. Sometimes if it won't start, I wait 5-10 minutes and it starts again! The battery has been changed and alternator checked. All good. Wondering about the security system? Has anyone else had this problem? I reprogrammed the key fobs. The security system light goes on (flashes) when I lock the car.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
It sounds like the starter relay may not always function. When you catch it not starting, open the hood while someone turns the key and see if you can hear the starter relay clicking.

If the relay doesn't function, the starter will not be powered, but everything else will still work. The relay is inexpensive and you can replace it yourself.

Otherwise, there may be loose connections at the battery or starter cables.

What do you mean about the security light? It is meant to flash when you lock. Or do you have an aftermarket system?
The following users liked this post:
darsimp4 (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by darsimp4
2007 RDX having problems starting. It seems that everyone having problems with diagnosing this. There is no rhyme or reason when it starts. When I turn over the engine (at times)- there is nothing- not a sound, but all the lights, radio, etc. works. At other times, it just fires up like nothing. Sometimes if it won't start, I wait 5-10 minutes and it starts again! The battery has been changed and alternator checked. All good. Wondering about the security system? Has anyone else had this problem? I reprogrammed the key fobs. The security system light goes on (flashes) when I lock the car.
I also have the same problem last night, My brother's Infiniti EX and my RDX parked inside our garage for 2 weeks and last night when i start my car it doesnt start at all although my radio and light is still working. FYI i also have new battery bought it 2 mos ago (Red Top Optima) My brother's Infiniti start without a problem even his battery is 2 yrs old. If i go to the dealer they will tell you that it's normal because the car was sitting in my garage for 2 weeks but it didnt happend to my brother's car..... something is draining the baterry even the car is off and the alarm is off also....
Old 01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by R*D*X*
I also have the same problem last night, My brother's Infiniti EX and my RDX parked inside our garage for 2 weeks and last night when i start my car it doesnt start at all although my radio and light is still working. FYI i also have new battery bought it 2 mos ago (Red Top Optima) My brother's Infiniti start without a problem even his battery is 2 yrs old. If i go to the dealer they will tell you that it's normal because the car was sitting in my garage for 2 weeks but it didnt happend to my brother's car..... something is draining the baterry even the car is off and the alarm is off also....
it did start after i jump start my car.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 PM
5th Gear

Well, with the security system, one of the mechanics that I spoke with said that the whole issue could be related to that?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
5th Gear

I should mention that my RDX would not start when we tried to jump start it
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Well, with the security system, one of the mechanics that I spoke with said that the whole issue could be related to that?
OK, but is the system OEM or aftermarket?

I should mention that my RDX would not start when we tried to jump start it
You are definitely not getting power to the starter motor itself. Other than the security system, (?) check for tight cable connections and the starter relay.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:48 PM
5th Gear

Took it to a mechanic yesterday- car fired up immediately after leaving the flatbed (towed). This was immediately after leaving my driveway where it was not starting at all for the past 4 days...Mechanic said that they can not find a single thing wrong?? Phoned Acura and the mechanic there told me that it could be a master cylinder problem with the ignition. He said that the key could be worn and not making the connection? Has anyone had any experience with this or ?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took it to a mechanic yesterday- car fired up immediately after leaving the flatbed (towed). This was immediately after leaving my driveway where it was not starting at all for the past 4 days...Mechanic said that they can not find a single thing wrong?? Phoned Acura and the mechanic there told me that it could be a master cylinder problem with the ignition. He said that the key could be worn and not making the connection? Has anyone had any experience with this or ?
No problem like that with mine and I just turned 100K miles. however....it sounds suspiciously like the problem i had with my old '94 Camaro when GM had the old Pass key II security system...turned out to be a bad ignition cylinder. I know we're decades removed from that now...but same idea...sounds like your key is not communicating properly with the security system to allow a start.
The following users liked this post:
darsimp4 (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 PM
5th Gear

Day 2 after having it at mechanic and it is starting like a charm....frustrating- to say the least! Where do I go from here? Any suggestions? Can't rely on the vehicle. Do I wait until it doesn't start again?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Cruisin'

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully somebody will see it. Which one is the starter relay?? I can't identify it by the diagrams, etc.

Here's a diagram of the under-hood relay box (near the bottom of the page): https://www.justanswer.com/acura/7n3...placed-ac.html

And here's the fuse diagram: Acura RDX (2006 ? 2008) ? fuse box diagram | Auto Genius