Stalls after starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 09:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stalls after starting

My 2010 RDX Tech has been working like a champ but the other day it started fine but then stalled out. It took about three tries for it to keep running. Today, same thing. I don't see a thread with anything similar so hopefully it's not a sign of a bigger issue. It's -28 C here today so it'd be nice if I don't have to sit in it to keep it going. I'll put some gas line antifreeze in it to see if it's an ice problem, and will report my results here.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Bowyer
My 2010 RDX Tech has been working like a champ but the other day it started fine but then stalled out. It took about three tries for it to keep running. Today, same thing. I don't see a thread with anything similar so hopefully it's not a sign of a bigger issue. It's -28 C here today so it'd be nice if I don't have to sit in it to keep it going. I'll put some gas line antifreeze in it to see if it's an ice problem, and will report my results here.
Could very well be a moisture problem in the fuel system. My advice, from my past experiences, is to keep the tank full, which stops condensation from developing inside the tank . Had this with my diesel tractor with less than a full tank , air condenses to H2O …not good . With gasoline the vapors help displace some air but not all , especially in your colder climate.
Hope this makes sense . Out of curiosity, is your tank full ?
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Bowyer (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chopperpilot, after filling with premium (it was previously about half full) I added some gas-line antifreeze. The next morning it stalled after the first attempt, but then kept running after the second one. Same thing yesterday and this morning. So, better, but not as good as it was a week ago. Still searching for answers.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
When you stall out in my expeirience it is due to one of three:
1) Fuel
2) Ignition
3) Air

Are there any check engine lights that come up prior to it stalling? Do you get misfires or total stall. Does it sputter or just completely stall out.

You changed your fuel so the next logical areas within that would be check your fuel pump. Check pressure on the injectors, i am unsure of the process on an RDX but on other vehicles there is a valve stem you can carefully check to see if fuel pressure is maintained.

Ignition in this case refers to spark, immobilizer, etc. Now in this case, this car is run by coil packs so one bad one would normally result in misfires or rough idles. I do not think that is happening here.

Air: check your air filter, is it clogged? Check vacuum lines on the vehicle, are any of them split or loose?

Watch your rpm's next time it stalls out, does it go up and down (bounces), does it drop like a rock, is your idle high or low.

I would say we need a bit more data at this point to get an answer. Sounds like your somewhere in western canada based on those temperatures.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Bowyer
Chopperpilot, after filling with premium (it was previously about half full) I added some gas-line antifreeze. The next morning it stalled after the first attempt, but then kept running after the second one. Same thing yesterday and this morning. So, better, but not as good as it was a week ago. Still searching for answers.
If I don't drive daily (to keep the battery up) it acts like that in the cold. The electrical system is weak in these and low voltage causes many issues and a cold battery when it is older will lower voltages.
The following users liked this post:
Chopperpilot (12-10-2022)
Old 05-30-2024, 02:42 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rdx stalling

Originally Posted by Chopperpilot
Could very well be a moisture problem in the fuel system. My advice, from my past experiences, is to keep the tank full, which stops condensation from developing inside the tank . Had this with my diesel tractor with less than a full tank , air condenses to H2O …not good . With gasoline the vapors help displace some air but not all , especially in your colder climate.
Hope this makes sense . Out of curiosity, is your tank full ?
Hi.
Old 05-30-2024, 02:46 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my rdx 2007 just started this same thing. I have new battery new alternator and what no. It stalled out on a sharp right turn going into a shopping center w the AC and stereo on. Stereo and ac cut off and car started again right away much bizarro. Moving 500 miles away in six weeks...gotta get this fixed unless its a fluke.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:29 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Could be a battery cable issue with sharp turns .