RDX water leaking passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 12:00 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX water leaking passenger side

Hi, we just had a lot of rain where i live in the past few days and i realise that i seem to have water leaking in my RDX. It’s on the passenger side, right next to the glove box. Leaks seems to come from the A pillar so i was thinking that the roof drain that could be clogged or something like that, but there no water leaking anywhere else.

The A pillar cover never get wet neither does the roof cover inside the cabine, where there would be trace of leak from what i’ve seen in other post, the water only leak at that place...

There is also a rusty part behind all the plastic cover, that makes me think that its not the first time it has been leaking but i own this car since 2 weeks and my uncle, who owned the vehicule since 2011, never had that issue before. Windshield was never replaced

We can clearly see the rusty bolt but water come from the plastic with the arrow pointing at it

I will look at the drain and try cleaning it when i get back home but i thought of asking if people here already face a similar issue before.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently noticed the same exact issue in my 08 base model. I was removing the floor mats to clean them and realized the carpet in the passenger foot well was wet. I traced the leak to exactly the same spot as you show in your pictures. Unfortunately, since discovering the leak we have not had any rainy days for further investigation. If I find the source I will keep you posted.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Pop open the A Pillar and see if you see any leakage.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:20 PM
5th Gear

will do on my next day off
Old 04-30-2019, 07:25 PM
5th Gear

I did tried to poor water in the right side roof drain to see if the issue was there and its not blocked, water was flowing freely and dropping off the fender under the car
Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Never seen or heard of this issue before ...
Old 10-20-2019, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

Any solution?

Hi - I've had this same issue with the water appearing at the same place. Has anybody found the source or a solution? There is a small bit of moisture behind the A pillar, none on the ceiling and the sunroof drain *seems* to be flowing freely...
Old 10-22-2019, 07:54 AM
Qualified Observer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I've had this symptom in other cars and traced to issue to the barrier sheet behind the interior door trim. They shrink, or crack, or the adhesive fails, and then when water enters the interior door space it can get onto the interior surface of the liner and run into the car.
Might be worth a look if you're out of options.

Luck!
Old 04-10-2023, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear

Unhappy Same problem!!!!

I have water leaking in the same spot, I noticed water trickling down one day during a snow storm. I popped off the Door Sill and the small plastic part below the glove box, and there was a good amount of rust and moisture.

I traced the leak up, and saw that the water is leaking into the cabin from the roof area where the roof rail begins, I dont know how to pop off the A piller trim peice, I need help getting that off, and then ill be able to peel the headliner back a bit, remove the curtain airbag and see exactly where the leak is coming from. If you know how to take the A pillar off, please let me know how. Ive tried searching youtube and google for hours but dont see anything.

My suspect area for the leak is under the roof rail mounting point.

Does anyone know the fix???

My car is a 2011 Acura RDX SH-AWD Non-tech ~ 200k
Car is Grey on Black interior, equipped with OEM roof rails and Rack.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Years ago I had the same issue. I had several inches of water on my floorboard. Acura was wicked about it. They spent a ton of time on it. They eventually found that the body seems on the roof split open and the water was running through the "A" post from there. They did ask me a stupid question in regard to it. They asked if I hit something with my roof rack. I laughed and said it would cause more damage than a split seems. They covered all costs and repaired. No issues since then.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:39 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just noticed the same thing start happening when it rains heavily. Mine is a small accumulation of water on my passenger side floormat (near the seat )
Hopefully I'll be able to trace it.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ILCD5
I just noticed the same thing start happening when it rains heavily. Mine is a small accumulation of water on my passenger side floormat (near the seat )
Hopefully I'll be able to trace it.
check the roof seam. That’s where mine was from. Everyone assumes windshield or “a”pillar. I’d bet it’s the roof seam that’s cracked.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think mine is leaking from both roof seams also. The ones under the roof rack.

Water seems to run freely from the sunroof drains and there was no new water I could detect using a little hot soapy water.

Mine is getting wet right where the headliner meets the a-pillar. I just can't figure out how to confirm that is where it is coming from. Run a bead of dish soap along it and use mist setting on water hose and see if I start getting some foaming action? I am also really struggling when it comes to Acura parts diagrams on running down the right parts. Can I get a link or a name on the parts.