Kenwood DNX-8120 in stock head location.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenwood DNX-8120 in stock head location.

So, I decided to put this 8120 into my 07 RDX tech replacing the stock head. No funding for other options at present, thanks to Theotts for some inspiration here.

At present I have removed the DVD/nav unit, stock amp and put the stock head into its slot. i have made most of the connections, using an alpine powerpack for the missing speaker level outs.

Now, after digging into more wiring schematics, I'm a bit concerned about leaving the GPS unit out. All I need is for temperature control to function, the GPS controlled HVAC isnt really a concern. Also I would really like to use the antenna off of the GPS unit.

I would appreciate any insight here before I put the seat back in, power it up and find out what happens. I dont really care what happens to the stock display as I plan on replacing it with a tablet.

Thanks, JB
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHA - it works.

HVAC, head unit and all that work. Now to figure out how to sever the clock feed to the sub display, mount the USB ports, replace the backup cam, etc etc.

Does anyone know how to keep that sub display from showing a clock that I can't set?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is jacked as well. I put the factory iPod link in and there is some type of communication between the ECM and the display. It shows the correct time on the navigation screen in the settings but has a mind of its own on the upper display.

I had to unhook the battery at 12:00 to get it set to 12:00. Actually that the moment that I hooked the battery back up... Either way I would be interested if anyone knows more on this and if there is a way to program just the upper clock.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope this helps

i have an 08 maxima, we have an info screen and then the radio the two connect together and communicate, if you replace the radio like I did, the screen goes blank. NOW there is a unit out there from METRA called the NIRD01, which connects the new radio to info screen (basically instead of getting a specific wiring harnes, you get this unit and it is the wiring harness - hope i am clear) My thought is MAYBE THERE IS a unit like that for your application.

Other note, I just got my 07with tech package for the wife and i really do not see why you would change it out, its pretty dang nice. What I would of done was keep everything as is and hooked up a JBL MS8, this wold allow you to beef up the speakers and subs.

Hope this helps. Good luck