Just had the remote start installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007 | 09:26 AM
Advanced

Just had the remote start installed!

Yesterday I had the remote started installed from my Acura dealership. I've only had it for one day but I am liking it from day one. It uses the Acura key and to activate it you have to push lock, unlock then lock again, quickly. After a few moments the car will start up. It will run for 20mins and then shut off. I have to enter the car with the actual key because the remote unlock will not work. There is no need to shut the car off. I just insert the key and turn it to the run position and I am off. If I enter the vehicle, step on the brake without putting the key in the ignition the car will shut off. I am not sure about the range of the remote but I will report back after I mess with it today after work.
Old 02-08-2007 | 01:50 PM
Intermediate

what was the COST?

how LONG did it take?

Thank you..
Old 02-08-2007 | 08:30 PM
Instructor

thanks for posting.

Nice feature, but I was worried this might mess with the warrentee. not even an option they mentioned, but I wanted it. Do you have the tech package? Just wondering, cause it's gotta mess with all the airwaves in the car...by the way, you techies noticing any funny occassional dementia, or loss of memory from all those waves? gotta love it.
Old 02-09-2007 | 11:22 AM
Intermediate

If it was done at the dealer, they have to honor the warranty.

I am very interested in cost and h/w involved. If you have more info on this, let me know.
Old 02-17-2007 | 01:29 PM
Intermediate

rbone100 - was this the "factory" Acura starter? The one I purchased uses a separate remote from the key and I would be interested in starting my car by using the key rather than the remote starter controller.

In addition, the Acura remote starter shuts my RDX down when I unlock the car with the remote starter or if I unlock the door using my key. The dealer mentioned that they could not keep the car running as this was an Acura safety feature.
Old 02-24-2007 | 12:16 AM
Intermediate

theres a simple add on for any factory keyless entry/alarm. audiovox makes it its model number as9057 i think. cost is about $60 or so depending where your getting it from. Now, for that being said, the reason these guys are required to use the key to open the car door is because the system wasnt installed right or fully. there is a way to make this all work properly but also requires cutting and such. The range is VERY limiited compared to aftermarket stuff. Personally, I am enjoying the full alarm remote start i installed.
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:01 AM
Missin my TSX =(

the range will suck cuz its factory... basically close enough to read your own plates..
Old 03-06-2007 | 10:56 AM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

I purchased an Acura w/tech pkg. two weeks ago. Asked my salesman to quote me a price for remote starter installation. The quoted price was $450 and it is covered by the Acura warranty. They outsource the installation and it is approved by Acura (hence the inclusion under the warranty). So far I only talked to one dealership and plan to call 2 or 3 others. Will report back with my other quotes.
Old 03-06-2007 | 12:41 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by grooks1
I purchased an Acura w/tech pkg. two weeks ago. Asked my salesman to quote me a price for remote starter installation. The quoted price was $450 and it is covered by the Acura warranty. They outsource the installation and it is approved by Acura (hence the inclusion under the warranty). So far I only talked to one dealership and plan to call 2 or 3 others. Will report back with my other quotes.
For what it's worth, I also asked my dealership about remote start and they quoted over $600 - same line about warranty etc. He also said if I didn't buy it from them I would void my warranty. Which I knew wasn't true - but just laughed and walked out. Next time I was in the area i gave him a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Act.

I did speak with Owner Care and any remote start installed in the RDX is not covered buy the Acura warranty, because it is not an genuine Acura option - so anything the dealer is offering is on their own - because it's an aftermarket product. So, if you were to move - no other dealer is obligated to warranty the remote start.

They also indicated that this does not void the warrnaty - ie warranty can not be denied just because a remote start is installed. If there ever was an issue it would have to be directly attributed to the remote start causing the problem for warranty service to be denied.
Old 03-06-2007 | 10:16 PM
Cruisin'

so this is an option that you can add to any acura or is this specific for the rdx?