Aftermarket head unit in a tech?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket head unit in a tech?

ive tried looking around and cant seem to find anyone who has put in an aftermarket head unit in a tech, was wondering if anyone more audio tech savvy would have any ideas on how to go about putting one in.

The main reason I want to upgrade my head unit is to get a nice clean signal to my sub before going and upgrading the rest of my speakers. The signal going to my mono amp and to my sub is causing my sub to clip pretty bad when i turn it up and i cant even turn up the bass. Im running a 13 JLw7 off a JL 1000v2 and trying to fix it, but i cant seem to get anything to work. The last thing ive yet to try is putting in the jl cleansweep unit or something similar but I cant find enough feedback on how well it would work for the problem i am having. As for the inputs to my amp, ive tried tapping into the rear speakers and the stock sub and havent gotten any good results.

Anyway, for the non-tech, the hvac goes through the head unit so i am assuming the tech is wired up in a similar fashion so i am trying to avoid removing the stock head unit. I was thinking of trying something similar to what theotts did in his non-tech but i dont really want to swap out the whole nav screen. What i was thinking was maybe putting in a head unit with a removable face plate, and put the head unit in the glove and somehow wire the face plate remotely somewhere like on the ceiling or something. If it was possible to somehow integrate it by tapping into the stock system and just not using the stock head unit and getting the steering wheel controls to work with the aftermarket unit.

anyone have any thoughts on this? any input would be much appreciated. if anyone has thoughts on the jl cleansweep, or knows someone who has put in an aftermarket head unit into a tech, or something along those lines. thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-159/yes-i-installed-aftermarket-system-rdx-682835/
Old 05-11-2010, 08:48 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Oh, my bad, just read the rest of your post and saw that you were familiar with Theotts's install.
Where did you get the input signal for the JL? Was it the rear speaker amplified sig? And if so were the input controlls on the amp set accaordingly i.e. in the 'high' position? It sounds like the input level that you are using is too high for the JL amp input setting which may me causing the clipping.

I'm very interested in your findings ;-)
Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i took the signal off the amplified signal to the rear speaker, and same with to the sub.
I wanted to try and tap in before it gets amplified, but i have no idea where the stock amp is. I tried to search a little to where it is but couldn't find anything. Im guessing its somewhere in the front under the dash or somewhere since i didnt see anything in the back when i was tapping into the sub. If anyone could tell me exactly where it is I might try it this coming weekend and see if it works. But even it does help improve the signal and get rid of the clipping, i think it might still do the whole adjusting bass level as the master volume changes its kinda subtle but it annoys me haha. I might even succumb and take the car into a car audio shop and see what they have to say and what they suggest.

what i really want to try but i highly doubt i have the soldering skills to do is something like this http://www.civicforums.com/forums/21...head-unit.html
I saw this years ago when I was driving my 01 civic and have always wanted to try this but Ill probably screw things things up pretty bad.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:35 AM
2008 Acura RDX

The amp is in the center console just forward of the shifter. The input (from the headunit) and output (to the speakers) are located on the left side of the amp.
Its puzzling as to why the amp is clipping, are you sure that the inputs on the JL amp are set correctly, i.e. to the high range?