2010 RDX w/Tech pkg Navi screen and DVD question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:30 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RDX w/Tech pkg Navi screen and DVD question

Hi all. I just bought a 2010 Acura RDX with technology pkg. The navigation display is blank but radio and HVAC controls still work. I can see the backlight upon powerup and the backup camera still works. I can eject the navigation DVD, but it doesn't seem to actually spin. Even with a bad DVD player, wouldn't I get something on the display telling me to insert a disc, etc? Before I go the Alpine repair route, I wanted to be sure I'm not missing something simple. Thanks
Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Wow. That is a tough one. I have a 2011 Tech package, and just updated the DVD last year on their closeout $99 special. Pretty much a ripoff, but wanted some updated roads/highways in my area. Does the information screen recognize what version you have? Look on youtube for answers on what should show on the screen when inserting the DVD. It was pretty much insert and let the system do its thing. I think most people recommend having the car on while it is updating.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:18 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for the response, hues10. Unfortunately I never get far enough to check DVD version ... the display screen shows no text ever - just blank all the time except for the backup camera view. I know I have power to the DVD player because it ejects the disc and pulls it back in, and I know the display works because I can see the backup image.

I can't hear or feel the DVD drive actually spin. So the thing I don't understand is ... should I get anything on the display (Acura logo, text, etc) without a functioning DVD player, or do the 'brains' for the display reside in the player? Obviously the backup camera input doesn't need the player, but does everything else?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
I'm not sure either, but I can test this later tonight by ejecting my disc and turning the car on to see what it does if it helps. Maybe also worth checking the connections to the DVD drive - power input and data output. Could just be something loose?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:23 PM
6th Gear

Tomtwtwtw - That would be awesome! Is yours a 2010 RDX also?

As for the connections ... nothing loose. I've already removed the DVD player and tried disconnecting and reconnecting one at a time, but no help. I figured out which one is power and which one feeds the display by doing this, but otherwise haven't learned anything. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
So your backup camera works and also does the radio presets screen work? On my old 2007 MDX (uses same drive as your RDX) my DVD drive was ruined so the nav would not work but the backup camera and radio stuff all worked. You should be seeing a grey screen that says “Please insert disc” and when you first turn on the RDX it should have an image of planet earth with the words “Acura Navigation System” and then go to a screen where you click agree (to the safety stuff). So if you’re not seeing any of that at all I would say there is most likely a connection issue between the DVD drive and the display.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:16 PM
6th Gear

Thanks, RDX10. I never get anything on the display ... no planet earth, 'acura navigation system' or 'please insert disc'. I was assuming the good backup camera view meant good display screen, but I guess there could be separate wiring to the display for that camera and the input from the DVD player and other inputs. Has anyone ever posted the wiring schematic for this system?

I haven't tried removing the display itself to look at connections, but that seems like the next likely step.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by Bterrill
Thanks, RDX10. I never get anything on the display ... no planet earth, 'acura navigation system' or 'please insert disc'. I was assuming the good backup camera view meant good display screen, but I guess there could be separate wiring to the display for that camera and the input from the DVD player and other inputs. Has anyone ever posted the wiring schematic for this system?

I haven't tried removing the display itself to look at connections, but that seems like the next likely step.
No problem!

So if the backup cam and everything else works but you aren’t getting any messages that could in theory mean the player is completely messed up (though it is getting power so it most likely isn’t) or there is a connection issue. The backup camera works on a different wiring route and is not affected by the navi system.

Fingers crossed you just have a loose wire on the back of the display screen!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:12 PM
6th Gear

Well I removed the display today ... all connectors on the DVD and screen appear to be good. I also used the '07 RDX service manual (I found in another post) and confirmed I have 12 Vdc for both battery and ACC on the DVD connector and display connector. I know it's not smart to use the wrong year service manual for wiring detail, but the main 12V power and ground circuits appear to be the same.

The more I read Navi posts, the more I'm convinced I have a bad DVD player. It seems the unit can fail in different ways and must do more than just DVD output ... like the splash screen and other text.

Can anyone confirm? Thanks
Old 03-08-2018, 05:35 PM
6th Gear

I pulled the trigger and got a used replacement DVD player off Auto Gator on Ebay for $150. I'm happy to report all is now well. Auto Gator provided the VIN from the donor vehicle so I could get the code from the Acura website. Thanks to those who responded !!
Old 03-11-2018, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

Alarm & Back up Camera

Hello, I know this isn’t pertaining to this post however, this is the most recently active one I could find that was somewhat similar(but not really). I just got a 2010 Acura RDX(Not tech package) and when I lock my doors the beep sound is so low I was wondering if anyone knew how to make it a little louder. Also, currently the car has a rear view mirror back up camera which is a bit small for my comfort and I wanted to know if the Acura dealership would be able to rewire the camera to be projected to my screen where the radio and time appear (see photo) or would I have to get a whole new screen or a whole new camera and screen. Thank you in advance!