Yakima Upright Bike Mounts Work With RDX Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Yakima Upright Bike Mounts Work With RDX Roof Rack

Ive been frustratingly checking Yakima's website for a bike mount that was compatible with the RDX. Well they dont have anything yet on their website and maybe not for some time.

So I decided to be a little risky, and bought the Yakima Universal Mighty Mounts, which will adapt factory racks for use with Yakima Bike and Snow mounts. Link

Well, they fit fine! So I went back to REI and bought the Yakima King Cobra bike mount and mounted them to the Mighty Mounts. Link

I havent tested it out really as I just finished installing it. But I feel good about the combo, its a good fit. So if anyone else wants a bike mount with their factory rack, Yakima and Thule will tell you that none of their systems are officially compatible yet. But I can tell you that the Universal Mighty Mount + King Cobra system works well with the factory racks.

Notes about installation:
1) You have to install it backwards so that the rear hatch doesnt hit the bike tray. This is indicated in the instructions.
2) I bought the UNIVERSAL Mighty Mounts, not the horizontal or vertical Mighty Mounts. The difference is the Universal, while more expensive, is adaptable to many cars, while the horizontal and vertical mighty mounts are specific to types of factory crossbars.
3) Yakima says you should not use fork mount bike racks with the Mighty Mount. You should only use upright bike carriers like the King Cobra.
4)For the Mighty mounts, I used the "small bail" (bail A) for both the front and back crossbars. However, for the best contact of the pads, I used the "lower hinge slot of the backbone" for the back, and for the front I used the "upper hinge slot of the backbone". This is because the front and rear crossbars are slightly different in shape. These settings are my personal preference only.
5) Although I used two lock cores with accessory housings and one lock core in the King Cobra locking cable, there is a significant security flaw. However Im not going to discuss here.
6) The King Cobra instructions give specific instructions for Mighty Mount users. Do not follow these. They are for the vertical and horizontal mighty mounts, not the universal. Follow instructions for the Mighty Mounts instead. You will understand this only when you are the one installing!

Sorry for the crappy cameraphone pics. But I just finished an am going to bed. Better than nothing I suppose.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Instructor

how's it working out?

Thanks for posting this!
Luckily, we have the same King Cobra Yak's. This will be an awesome deal if it works! Can you elaborate on the "significant safety flaw"? Any concerns or problems with the way it's been working for you?
How do the Mighty mounts attach to the rack (with the same screw on the current mounts)?
Are there any other parts I might need before I go and purchase these universal mighty mounts?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Bump

Sorry, Brad, but I really want to see if this works. Please let me Konw...OK, I'm begging
Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

Hi Mickie,
Sorry for taking so long to respond. But Im still happy with the setup (and Im really picky about these things). I actually havent used it much, other than testing and such. But it works well and would definately recommend this setup.

There is no safety consideration (it is totally stable), only a security consideration. Somebody (if they really wanted to) could steal the bike mount off the rack. But thats always the case isnt it? With the lock cores and such, its enough to keep the thieves looking for an easier target. I was just saying that now that Ive installed it, I know of a way to defeat the system. I would never leave my bikes unguarded for extended periods of time anyways.

Yes, all you need is one box of the universal mighty mounts. It includes 4 mounts and you will use 3. They clamp on to the factory crossbar and provide the base for the cobra to mount to. As long as you have the long bolt that comes with cobra (for the wheel tray), you are set.

The only concerns I have are minor. Its not as aero as a fork mount. And hoisting your bike on top of an SUV is not easy if you are short (Im not). But it would be a pain in the ass if you had a heavy downhill mountain bike. Im just using a 19lb road bike.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

My older Yakima ski mounts (circa 1989) have a theft deterrent feature where you can't unscrew the clamps with the mounts closed and locked (they block the thumbscrews from turning). Almost all of my other Yakima attachments (bike, kayak) could be taken off the crossbars with little effort. I always thought it was funny that I could lock the bike to the bike mount, but the entire mount (with bike) could be taken off the crossbars! In those situations, a locking cable can secure the cargo to the crossbars. There's almost no way to prevent someone from stealing the empty Yakima attachments though. Heck, they can take your factory crossbars off (and everything with it) if they really wanted to!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Exactly. If a thief is determined and has enough time, they will get it no matter what. So I wont get too worried. I could get all the lock cores and cables in the world, but you can still just take the entire roof rack apart with a Torx bit. As long as I feel safe enough to leave it there for a few minutes to go in to a gas station or supermarket (for some chocolate milk), Im OK.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Anyone see that the Yakima High Roller has finally been released? Im SO getting one!
Old 01-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Brad:
Thanks so much for getting back! I'll grab up those Mighty mounts!
P.S. Does the high roller fit? just for kicks...
Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

It says its compatible with Mighty Mounts, so Im sure it will. I just ordered one, so Ill let you know. Its got an "automotive finish", so Im hoping it will look awesome with my CGP RDX.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by Brad G
Exactly. If a thief is determined and has enough time, they will get it no matter what. So I wont get too worried. I could get all the lock cores and cables in the world, but you can still just take the entire roof rack apart with a Torx bit. As long as I feel safe enough to leave it there for a few minutes to go in to a gas station or supermarket (for some chocolate milk), Im OK.

Ah yes, the chocolate milk test. I had to let my skis brave the world alone while I procured some chocolate milk on the way home from the mountains tonight!