Tune up and transmission issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:12 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune up and transmission issue.

So I was gonna do a tune-up on my girlfriends 2007 RDX. It has about 200k miles. Runs good but I was gonna change the plugs wasn’t sure if I should change the coils to? What else would be a good idea to change? Are the fuel filters changeable on these cars or is it part of the fuel pump? Also when her transmission shifts from park to drive or park to reverse it seems like it takes awhile to make the switch so I feel like she shifts then hits the gas before it actually changes gears so she’s revving it in between changing gears and it seems like it’d be really bad for the transmission. Anyone else ever had that issue? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2019, 11:55 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
You should change the spark plugs and the coil packs at the same time. Make sure you use ngk for both. Laser iridium plugs are made by ngk and come stock on our trucks. They’re the best for our turbo application. Make sure you put anti cease on the threads of the spark plugs. Also make sure you have enough daylight and the right tools to tackle the job before you start it. Like a great socket wrench set with a spark plug socket. Make sure you have the deep socket and the angle socket too.

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump, you will have to remove the back bench seat and the carpet. Then you will have to pull the unit out of the vehicle and take it apart. At that point you put the new filter and drop the unit back in. Put the carpet back and bolt the seat back down. Make sure you use high detergent gasoline 91+ only! I only use mobile 93 for my truck.

My truck always takes forever to find the gears too. You have to be patient it’s an old tranny and it’s old school. It’s only five gears but it’s pretty strong. Wait until you feel it in gear before you take your foot on the breat to hit the gas. This will take pressure of the gears and save you headaches down the road...

I hope this helps you out 😃!

Last edited by CSmoney28; 02-03-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:38 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
There's like a two second delay when changing gears... Pretty much all Hondas/Acuras of that 'era did it...

Old 02-03-2019, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 695 Likes on 537 Posts
Is transmission fluid low? Was trans fluid changed at regular intervals? Usually Transmissions on these cars work good with smooth shifts given proper maintaince.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:16 PM
4th Gear

It shifts fine during normal driving it’s just going between park and drive or reverse or from reverse to drive it just seems like it takes a little longer to actually change gears completely. I don’t think doing the plugs will be too bad just wasn’t sure if I should do the coil packs as well and what else would anyone do for a tuneup?? PCV valve, air filter and fluids?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
All depends on when the last items were done. If you don't have a good service history, change all the fluids out (oil, brakes, coolant, power steering, transmission). I personally wouldn't change the coil packs unless they're actually bad, but they aren't terribly expensive and extremely easy to do - your call there. Cabin and engine filters should both be done if you don't know the last time they were changed. That's about all the car needs in terms of maintenance.

Once you get caught up, I'd follow what the service codes say for maintenance items. Not sure how much longer you plan to keep the car, but the codes don't mention power steering or brake fluid, so just be sure to take care of those. I drive a lot, so I do steering, brake and coolant every 50k miles (works out to about every 2 - 2.5 years). If you drive less, I'd suggest shortening to every 25k (try to change at least every 3 years). Brake fluid and coolant especially are more a factor of time vs miles.

Again, there are a million ways to skin a cat, so figure out what works best for your situation. But properly maintained, these cars are proving they can last well past 200k.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:07 PM
4th Gear

The coil packs are about 300$ for all 4 aren’t they? I was just thinking about doing them as well because I don’t think they’ve ever been changed and the car is just over 200k miles and they’re not as easily accessible as most cars.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:11 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
They cost only $107 and if your taking off the intercooler to get to the spark plugs for only $12 you might as well do them too. I’ll provide a link for them:

RDX SPARK PLUGS

RDX IGNITION COILS
Old 02-04-2019, 09:23 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for all the info. I did all my own work on my prelude and my dodge but the Acura is my girlfriends so I haven’t worked on it yet. It’s been taken pretty good care of though. I’ve always done her oil changes and always used Mobil 1 synthetic. The oil stays pretty clean in between oil changes so the engine is in good shape. I think it’s been close to 100k mikes since the plugs have been changed though. I just wannna do everything so I know when it was done and get the most out of this car. They really are great cars.