Right mirror position return incorrect

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right mirror position return incorrect

I have set memory positions 1 and 2 in my 2011 RDX. I notice that when changing between drivers the right side mirror does not move to the correct position.

How does the computer know the mirror position? Why is it not moving to the correct position?
Old 01-24-2024, 08:16 PM
5th Gear

Is it not moving when you are pressing & holding the memory buttons or is it not moving when you are unlocking the car with the #2 key versus the #1 key?

Also is the mirror adjustment switch set to the driver's side, passenger side, or the middle?
Old 01-24-2024, 08:43 PM
Advanced

I set the L&R mirrors, then press SET and then #1. I then pressed #2 and settings switch to the other driver's settings. Then I pressed #1 and the right mirror was in the wrong position.

I'm not sure which remote I used to unlock, but I pressed #1 on the door....

I'm not sure about the mirror adjustment switch, I can experiment with that. Does it have to be in the middle position in order to return to memorized position?
Old 01-24-2024, 10:21 PM
5th Gear

Sounds like you might have an issue with the right mirror. Just to be sure though after you press SET you are pressing the holding #1 until you hear two beeps, correct? You are also setting the memory while you are in park with the key in the ON (II) position, correct? You can’t set the memory while you are in drive.

I also don’t think it will move the seat and mirrors if you press a memory button while the car is in drive (but I can’t remember as I have not tried to move them with the memory button while in drive in a long time).

So when you pressed #2 the right mirror moved? If you adjust the right mirror to a different setting and then press #2 does the right mirror move back to the #2 memory position/move at all? And when you press #1 does it not move at all, or does it move but just not all the way back to the correct #1 memory position?

And the left mirror is moving to the correct position when you press #1?

I’m not sure if the mirror position switch setting will impact the right mirrors’ ability to move to the memory positions. Although it might be worth checking all three positions.

Reverse & Turn Signal Test
Also it is not really is dispositive test regarding the mirror moving for the memory buttons, but if you move the mirror adjustment switch to the right mirror and then shift the car into reverse, does the right mirror tilt down? The right mirror will only do that when the mirror switch in set to the right mirror.

Does the turn signal on the right mirror work?

Remote Keys
Yeah sounds like the keys are not your issue. But in case you were not already aware the keys can store the corresponding memory settings (there is a way to turn it on and off though). So if you have the two original remote keys, one has a #1 on back and one has #2. The keys will recall the corresponding memory positions when you unlock the car with them every time. It can be annoying if you are using two memory positions for two different drivers, but sharing a key. So lets say you have your settings set to button #1 inside the car, and another family member has their settings set to button #2 inside the car. If you (driver #1) take key #2, get in car in your garage (which was left unlocked) and press #1 button inside the car, the seat and mirror will go to your #1 settings. Then you get to your destination and lock the car. But once you come back to the car and hit the unlock button, the car will move the seat and mirrors from the #1 memory positions you had just left it in when you locked it, to the memory #2 positions because you unlocked the car with key #2.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:24 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
I had this issue with my 08 RDX and 11 MDX between the Memory seat settings for my spouse (4'11") and me (6'3"). Narrowed it down to dried up lithium grease for the mirror motor (or lithium grease is mixed with too much dirt). Putting the mirror adjust switch in the middle turns off the mirror down feature when you place the 5AT into reverse. Can be tricky to pop out the glass to re-lube behind the mirror. There should be some YouTubes on how to do this (pretty much the same procedure for Acura vehicles if you can't find on for 1st gen RDX).
Old 01-29-2024, 06:07 PM
Advanced

The mirror seems to move ok when adjusted by the controls manually. But something isn't right with settings memorization. I will play with it (and re-read user manual) and report back on what's wrong...or if I was just doing something wrong.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:55 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ocgltd
The mirror seems to move ok when adjusted by the controls manually. But something isn't right with settings memorization. I will play with it (and re-read user manual) and report back on what's wrong...or if I was just doing something wrong.
Yup! Same symptoms I had with being able to adjust no problem manually; but, hit-or-miss with memory seats or returning back to normal from tilt down reverse mode.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:36 AM
Advanced

What caused your memory seat problem? (Is this all BCM related)
Old 01-30-2024, 06:49 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ocgltd
What caused your memory seat problem? (Is this all BCM related)
The way I understand your original post is the driver seat will adjust; but, it is hit-and-miss with the side mirror adjustment. It was dried up lube behind the side mirror creating too much friction is what caused my mirrors not to adjust fully with Driver 1 & 2 memory seat adjustment.