Now Porsche is planning a mini-Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now Porsche is planning a mini-Cayenne

Yet another one that makes we wonder if I shoulda waited.........

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...w-compact-suv/

After the Panamera four-door hits the market, insiders are speculating that Porsche's next project will be to produce a baby brother for the Cayenne sport-ute. Positioned against the BMW X3, a baby Cayenne could potentially share components from the upcoming Volkswagen Tiguan and Audi Q5 to help keep development and production costs down, although it would be built in-house at the new plant Porsche has built for the Panamera. Power would be tipped to come courtesy of the Cayenne's V6 and V8 engines, though we wouldn't expect a turbo version.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Racer

Doubting this will be a competitor for the RDX.

/obvious
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
boostin'

that would be pretty sweet, pricing would be interesting though. My dad has a Cayenne S and it's a sweet ride!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
Yet another one that makes we wonder if I shoulda waited.........

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...w-compact-suv/

"The grass is truly always greener on the other side"...

IMHO... you will never be able to play catch up with new car designs... it is just like buying a computer... the moment you buy one, even though it's the latest on the market, you know there is on the very near horizon, a much better, nicer looking, more powerful and advanced system coming up...

so after the mini Cayenne appears, you buy it... before you know it, BMW or some other make, like mercedes, announces it is introducing a new model, more exciting, nicer looking... then you say to yourself again... maybe I should have waited...

Or... you see an attractive woman, fell "in love" with her, marries her... only to find later another "attractive" woman that catches your eye... you say.. "maybe I should have waited..."... I don't think so...

You can NEVER catch up with improvements... so be content with what you have chosen...

Remember the many significantly less blessed people in the world, who don't even have the ability to make such choices, let alone make ends meet...

The RDX is a good choice if you had made that decision to buy it...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:47 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am sure you won't be seeing a Porche mini Cayenne LOADED for 34k.....

Old 03-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds cool, I hope they make it affordable. The thing you have to come to grips with is cars are like computers...there is always gonna be something else very tempting and maybe more full-featured on the horizon. I still like my RDX; granted, I'm only about 3 months into ownership. Volvo is coming out with an XUV that looks pretty sweet imho. That would tempt me, as would the mini-Cayenne...but at this point I plan to hang onto the RDX at least 3 or 4 years if not 5 or 10.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pacer
Sounds cool, I hope they make it affordable. The thing you have to come to grips with is cars are like computers...there is always gonna be something else very tempting and maybe more full-featured on the horizon. I still like my RDX; granted, I'm only about 3 months into ownership. Volvo is coming out with an XUV that looks pretty sweet imho. That would tempt me, as would the mini-Cayenne...but at this point I plan to hang onto the RDX at least 3 or 4 years if not 5 or 10.
I am in total agreement... Typically I would also hold on to cars for at least 5 years, and allow the next few waves of technologies to go by before thinking about a newer more advanced car (like a high performance hybrid?)...

You just can't catch up with ever changing and advancing technologies...

I am sure when you chose the RDX, you must have placed some serious consideration in regards to the car's performance, utility and overall appeal at the time when you were in the market for such a vehicle. And probably compared with what was available from other makes at that time as well.

So it really boils down to whether the RDX met your needs and wants at the time of consideration. If it did, then the choice was made.

There is no doubt, that in just 1 year (or less) of purchasing the RDX, you will probably find a new vehicle that will "tempt" you with it's new performance and gadgets. And if you do jump ship and sell off the RDX for this "new" vehicle, there will yet be another "newer" vehicle that will appear within the next year that would have made you "regret" your choice. It never ends...

The Inifiniti CUV concept is nice, the Porsche small CUV is beautiful and higher performing... but did the RDX not meet your needs and wants when you bought it?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I find the opposite to be true. When I buy a car I buy the car that fits right and usually don't find anything that I'd want at any price for a few years. The RDX is the first car that I can see finding something better in only a couple of years...

There may be a new gadget or piece of technology that cars come out with that I'd like to have, but the car in my garage has usually been "just the right blend of this and that that nobody else makes"...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by oasis3582
Doubting this will be a competitor for the RDX.

/obvious

Article clearly says it's positioned against the X3, and the RDX uses the X3 as one of it's benchmarks.

If you cant really add any value to a thread, you should think twice before typing.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

Article clearly says it's positioned against the X3, and the RDX uses the X3 as one of it's benchmarks.

If you cant really add any value to a thread, you should think twice before typing.
I can see it that way, but it's kind of tough to compare Porsche and Acuras, they just seem so different (money and luxury wise). I can see the X3 as a benchmark for the RDX (which I think the RDX passes in many areas), but comparing the RDX to a Porsche? I know I might get hammered for this, but if someone offered me a mini Cayenne (assuming its as good as the Cayanne) or an RDX, I'd choose the Cayenne any day of the week.

As a side note, the fact that the most active thread the last few days is the EX35 tells me that Infiniti is doing something that will give Acura more that they can handle. Everybody has their tastes in the exterior of a car, but I think Acura missed a good opportunity to deliver a nice exterior body. The EX35 and Cayenne hold their own easily against the the RDX. I hope that the RDX is able to compare itself one day to a Porsche, but that day is not today.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Racer

That means it will probably be pitted against the fully-loaded X3, which tops out at $50k. Obviously the Porsche will need to retain its "superior" image, so it will likely up that price by another $5k or so. To think that the new mini-Cayenne will come in below $40k sounds plain naive to me. Thus, a 10-20k increase over the RDX would render it a non-competitor, no?

That enough value for you? Or shall we start comparing business pedigrees?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by oasis3582
That means it will probably be pitted against the fully-loaded X3, which tops out at $50k. Obviously the Porsche will need to retain its "superior" image, so it will likely up that price by another $5k or so. To think that the new mini-Cayenne will come in below $40k sounds plain naive to me. Thus, a 10-20k increase over the RDX would render it a non-competitor, no?

That enough value for you? Or shall we start comparing business pedigrees?
Thanks for taking the time to clear up your original vague post. I get it now.

Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Porsche, and the possible Benz; all of these CUV's will be compared because they are the "upper end" of the spectrum.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Missin my TSX =(

yea a cayenne is the price of a rdx and a s2k... so thats a nono
Old 03-30-2007, 09:23 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Porsche, and the possible Benz; all of these CUV's will be compared because they are the "upper end" of the spectrum.

In theory only and by magazines more than consumers....

IMHO of course....
Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Racer

Thanks for taking the time to clear up your original vague post. I get it now.

Unfortunately, I think Acura is destined to stay in the "near-luxury" lump along with Infiniti and even Lexus for a while to come.

I don't see it that way, but the car pundits like to!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:21 PM
boostin'

Has Porsche said what the name of the new CUV would be? (if it will be a separate vehicle from the Cayenne, which it sounds like that's what it will be)
Old 03-30-2007, 01:47 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX REX
Has Porsche said what the name of the new CUV would be? (if it will be a separate vehicle from the Cayenne, which it sounds like that's what it will be)

the porsche jalapeno
Old 03-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the infiniti EX model will be priced north of the RDX, especially the one loaded with the two fancy gadgets, all around camera view and also lane change detector, not to forget NAV. Infiniti has typically been priced north of Acura vehicles.

Now the projected Porsche CUV is another beast altogether... I really can't imagine it priced anywhere close to a RDX. imagine at least 15K-20K more than a RDX.

Though the Acura RDX would fall into the "luxury" segment, it is in a totally different group of "luxury" vehicles, IMHO. People looking at the RDX, is definitely looking "a little" at the budget and value for the money as well... Whereas people looking into the Porsche CUV, would probably lie in the group, "money... not really an issue".

The Porsche CUV will probably be packing at least close to (or more than) 300 HP. Hmmm. .. do i really need that kind of power for my typical week day drive? probably not... To show off... interesting notion... but not my cup of tea... i think the RDX does it enough for me, personally...

For those who have the monies to go for the Porsche, good for them... but I am glad i am able to even get a RDX to drive...
Old 03-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mav238
I think the infiniti EX model will be priced north of the RDX, especially the one loaded with the two fancy gadgets, all around camera view and also lane change detector, not to forget NAV. Infiniti has typically been priced north of Acura vehicles.

Now the projected Porsche CUV is another beast altogether... I really can't imagine it priced anywhere close to a RDX. imagine at least 15K-20K more than a RDX.

Though the Acura RDX would fall into the "luxury" segment, it is in a totally different group of "luxury" vehicles, IMHO. People looking at the RDX, is definitely looking "a little" at the budget and value for the money as well... Whereas people looking into the Porsche CUV, would probably lie in the group, "money... not really an issue".

The Porsche CUV will probably be packing at least close to (or more than) 300 HP. Hmmm. .. do i really need that kind of power for my typical week day drive? probably not... To show off... interesting notion... but not my cup of tea... i think the RDX does it enough for me, personally...

For those who have the monies to go for the Porsche, good for them... but I am glad i am able to even get a RDX to drive...
Agreed on all points!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:21 AM
phoju

cool! nice to see others joining the party
Old 04-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Although it will no doubt be an engaging vehicle to drive, Porsche, Audi, VW products still suffer from subpar reliabilty and the launch models seem to be put into service as a means of shakedown testing.

While Honda is not perfect, their track record with new products is the envy of the industry, including even Toyota (ie. V-6 engine sludge, Highlander cracked windshields).

Honda's corporate reliability record is stable enough for Consumer Reports to issue it's highest recommendation on the RDX, despite having insuffient data due to it's newness. That's quite a statement about CR's confidence in Honda.

Assuming the new Porsche will sticker above $40k, it becomes a very expensive bet on a company that tends to transfer in-service testing to the customer.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Although it will no doubt be an engaging vehicle to drive, Porsche, Audi, VW products still suffer from subpar reliabilty and the launch models seem to be put into service as a means of shakedown testing.

While Honda is not perfect, their track record with new products is the envy of the industry, including even Toyota (ie. V-6 engine sludge, Highlander cracked windshields).

Honda's corporate reliability record is stable enough for Consumer Reports to issue it's highest recommendation on the RDX, despite having insuffient data due to it's newness. That's quite a statement about CR's confidence in Honda.

Assuming the new Porsche will sticker above $40k, it becomes a very expensive bet on a company that tends to transfer in-service testing to the customer.
I didn't know that about CR/the RDX. Thanks for that bit of insight.

And I agree with you about the reliability, too. Even before I owned an Acura/Honda, I coveted the rock-solid nature of my wife's Civic. It is really what caused me to cave, and steered me to Acura over Nissan, Ford, Mazda, etc.

So long story short, good points!