Just clayed the RDX and TSX, a real believer in the clay now...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just clayed the RDX and TSX, a real believer in the clay now...

Wow... I have to say that detailing the car with clay is definitely the most cost effective and time-effective way...

I just finished claying both cars, and the most recent, my sapphire pearl black TSX, was done in simply 20 mins. Then followed by using Eagle One Spray wax, it was also great stuff... spray on, wipe off... surface is deep shine...

I know spray wax, is not the enthusiast's way to detailing a car... but it works for me... nowadays, don't have the energy and time in the day to do a full detail with a polish followed by final wax with P21S Carnuaba wax. So will settle for claying followed by spray wax.

Clay bar works... it really does... great stuff...
Old 05-18-2008, 11:01 PM
... the CaSH ...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
Wow... I have to say that detailing the car with clay is definitely the most cost effective and time-effective way...

I just finished claying both cars, and the most recent, my sapphire pearl black TSX, was done in simply 20 mins. Then followed by using Eagle One Spray wax, it was also great stuff... spray on, wipe off... surface is deep shine...

I know spray wax, is not the enthusiast's way to detailing a car... but it works for me... nowadays, don't have the energy and time in the day to do a full detail with a polish followed by final wax with P21S Carnuaba wax. So will settle for claying followed by spray wax.

Clay bar works... it really does... great stuff...
you clay bared a car in 20 minutes ?!?!?!

i started clay barring about 2 years ago, and have never spent less then about 1.5-2 hours ... did you make sure not to do it too quickly? sounds awfully quick to me!

clay barring is the best thing since sliced bread .... leaves the paint flawless ...
Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaSHMeRe
you clay bared a car in 20 minutes ?!?!?!

i started clay barring about 2 years ago, and have never spent less then about 1.5-2 hours ... did you make sure not to do it too quickly? sounds awfully quick to me!

clay barring is the best thing since sliced bread .... leaves the paint flawless ...

hehe... okay, I say 45 mins max. It was indeed really easy and quick to clay the car... Like I said, can't spend too much time nowadays on the car, family time is more important... that's why I am satisfied with just using the spray carnuaba wax as the follow up...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mav238
hehe... okay, I say 45 mins max. It was indeed really easy and quick to clay the car... Like I said, can't spend too much time nowadays on the car, family time is more important... that's why I am satisfied with just using the spray carnuaba wax as the follow up...
A claybar job should take at least 1.5 hrs for a car like the RDX (I've done it). Family time is important, I agree. However your car only needs to be clayed about twice a year depending on road conditions and how much you drive. Take the extra hour twice a year and make your clay job count!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Back in an Ac!

will clay take out surface scratches? i have never used it before.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear

What brand of clay bar did you use?

I used a Meguiars kit and was very happy with it, but I don't have anything to compare it to. It's just amazing how much dirt you get off the paint even after you just washed it. I followed up with Black Magic liquid wax and water just runs right off now.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
... the CaSH ...

Originally Posted by pugsly027
will clay take out surface scratches? i have never used it before.
depends on how deep the imperfection (Scratch) is ... clay bar + a good rubbing compound should take out the surface scratches.

I used a Meguiars kit and was very happy with it, but I don't have anything to compare it to. It's just amazing how much dirt you get off the paint even after you just washed it. I followed up with Black Magic liquid wax and water just runs right off now.
I use Meguiars Kit as well... good stuff, and good for a couple sessions ...
Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Claybar may take out very feint scratches but thats about it, if that. Claybar is an abrasive polishing technique so it is feasible. If the scratches come out then you are essentially taking a tiny layer of clearcoat off. For scratches in general use polish. Prima is the best IMO. Check it out.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
been using Meguiars ultimate quick detail for spot cleaning during these nicer spring days when you dont really need to wash the whole car. its been petty good, the finish it leaves is quite amazing, no residue, popping glossy look
Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marathon

I used Mother's Clay kit, but I bought the Meguiar's kit today (because it has two bars instead of one for the same price). I also bought the Quixx scratch removal kit to see if it will remove some fairly deep scratches.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Instructor

I used the clay bar for the first time on my Jag, followed by Meguiar's non-abrasive paint cleaner, followed by Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

I was absolutely amazed that all of the buff marks were taken out. The car has looks like a brand new car. I was so impressed, I did the RDX the next weekend.

I'm not too sure about the longevity of the polymer waxes, like the Tech Wax. I'm thinking about following up on both cars with a good coat of carnuba wax.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by john50
I used the clay bar for the first time on my Jag, followed by Meguiar's non-abrasive paint cleaner, followed by Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

I was absolutely amazed that all of the buff marks were taken out. The car has looks like a brand new car. I was so impressed, I did the RDX the next weekend.

I'm not too sure about the longevity of the polymer waxes, like the Tech Wax. I'm thinking about following up on both cars with a good coat of carnuba wax.
Polymer wax definitely last longer than carnuaba wax, as polymer particles bond more efficiently to the paint surface than carnuaba wax.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Not an Ashtray

Carnuba waxes "float" on the surface of a car. A good polymer actually bonds to the paint - hence, they last a lot longer.

Some carnuba waxes might not play nicely with a polymer underneath.

Oh, and btw, the typical clay (like Mothers, or Claymagic) that you get at Pep Boys or something is not really abrasive. It certainly can't remove swirl marks or anything like that. It could remove paint containments though that might appear like scratches.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started using the Meguiar's Tech wax, and I was amazed how long my first application lasted. It seems to have gone 2-3x longer than normal wax.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Instructor

I don't think the clay bar did anything for removing the swirls in the clearcoat, and I don't think it did.

I was surprised to see that the Meguiar's non-abrasive cleaner did. Not sure of why.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't think the clay bar did anything for removing the swirls in the clearcoat, and I don't think it did.

I was surprised to see that the Meguiar's non-abrasive cleaner did. Not sure of why.

The paint cleaner is a mild polish, which can remove certain swirls and light scratches.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Not an Ashtray

Its also possible that the buff marks were in a prior layer of wax, and not in the clearcoat. Since the paint cleaner will chemically remove anything between you and the paint, the buff marks in the existing wax were also taken off.

Distantly related point: I was looking at the RDX this weekend, and not sure why there are sometimes complaints about the paint on this forum. Generally, I was impressed by the lack of orange peel, etc. Looked like a real high quality paint job to me.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by darth62
Its also possible that the buff marks were in a prior layer of wax, and not in the clearcoat. Since the paint cleaner will chemically remove anything between you and the paint, the buff marks in the existing wax were also taken off.

Distantly related point: I was looking at the RDX this weekend, and not sure why there are sometimes complaints about the paint on this forum. Generally, I was impressed by the lack of orange peel, etc. Looked like a real high quality paint job to me.
There are many RDX owners noticed the paint mismatch between the front and rear bumper and the body. Some colors are more noticeable, my CGP is one of them.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 PM
xav
Intermediate

Hello all,

Anybody ever tried Turtle Wax Liquid Clay Bar ?
I just bought one yesterday and then I read that topic... I hope it is "ok".
Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

I'm a fan of Meguiar's products, but the best I've ever used is Zaino (www.zainostore.com). I was into Mustangs before, and Zaino is big with the 'stang modifiers crowd. It's really good stuff.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xav
Hello all,

Anybody ever tried Turtle Wax Liquid Clay Bar ?
I just bought one yesterday and then I read that topic... I hope it is "ok".
I would return it if you haven't already opened the package. No offense to you or anything like that but liquid claybar is a disgrace. You need the actual clay-in-hand to get the right results. There is no way you can generate enough friction with a liquid claybar IMO.

I've heard Zaino is pretty sweet stuff but I don't use it myself.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
Carnuba waxes "float" on the surface of a car. A good polymer actually bonds to the paint - hence, they last a lot longer.

Some carnuba waxes might not play nicely with a polymer underneath.
Agreed. I have noticed that Turtle's Finish 2001 (now they call it F21) which is a polymer lasts longer than Meguiar's Gold Class, which is a polymer/carnuba blend.

But the straight polymer looks silvery and streaky on black. I went over it with the Meguiar's and it made my '03 GTI look showroom new.