Is the headlight under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the headlight under warranty?

Vehicle is a 2011 RDX SH-AWD Base.

Realized a few days ago there is condensation underneath the plastic housing for the headlight. Does this fall into the accessories or major component warranty?

http://www.acura.ca/owners/standard-warranty

I've taken some pics as well, but am not sure how to add them. Can I upload them directly here, or do I need something like a photobucket account?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should be covered as long as you still have bumper to bumper warranty. Back in the day I had both tail lights replaced in my 06 Rsx type-s under warranty when there was condensation in them.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Is this a used vehicle?

Either way...Get er in.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:53 PM
7th Gear

I saw the some condensation in my 2008 RDX today. No warranties. Will this cause any problems in the future?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

Hey again guys! It was under warranty thankfully. If not it'd been 460$ for the headlight and 150$ for installation!

I don't think the condensation will cause much problems unless
actual water is in the headlight (it pools up at the bottom), but it could possibly cause a short.

I'd wait for a more experienced member to chime in.
The following users liked this post:
Kamalno (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 10:05 AM
7th Gear

Good for you, to have it taken care of by the warranty. In my case there are a couple of videos on youtube using a compressor, Will try that out this weekend and let other know of the outcome.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2011 passenger side and it was covered by warranty. Did it happen to the driver or passenger side?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing the pictures. When posting a new reply, look down under "additional options".

From there, click the button that says "manage attachments".

Then click one of the buttons that says "browse" to locate the pictures on your computer, and then click "open" when you've selected one of the pictures. Click the "browse" button again, and repeat that process for any additional pictures.

After you have selected the pictures you wish to post, click the "upload" button to the right of the "browse" buttons.

Next scroll down to the bottom of the window, and click "close this window. After that, you should just be able to submit the reply the same way you normally would, except with the pictures you've selected to share.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Condensation

So what's the consensus? I have an 09 RDX that has condensation in both headlights. The factory warranty is out but it is a certified pre-owned vehicle and that warranty goes until Feb 2014. I took my RDX to the dealership yesterday and they said that it's not covered under warranty because my factory warranty is expired. I tried to explain to them that it is still under the CPO warranty which basically extends the factory warranty. The dealership will replace one but not the other. And the cost... $856 without labor. Have to wait till Thursday to call Acura client services.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slimboogie
So what's the consensus? I have an 09 RDX that has condensation in both headlights. The factory warranty is out but it is a certified pre-owned vehicle and that warranty goes until Feb 2014. I took my RDX to the dealership yesterday and they said that it's not covered under warranty because my factory warranty is expired. I tried to explain to them that it is still under the CPO warranty which basically extends the factory warranty. The dealership will replace one but not the other. And the cost... $856 without labor. Have to wait till Thursday to call Acura client services.
I told that as well... certified extended warranty does not cover headlights....
Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but for those who are unable to have the headlight replaced under warranty, ...

Is it possible that the moisture inside the headlight, is a result of a leak that might be fixed? would it be possible to remove the headlight, and find the *leak*?

A leak around the rim of the headlight shell, that is, the seam between the clear front lens and the black back shell, can be sealed with silicone sealer - wait 24 hours, will not leak again. Must look really carefully to find it (a leaking seam) - but I find it difficult to believe that the shell is leaking, not after a couple of years.

The other places to leak are each seal around each light bulb, and the controller bolted to the bottom of the shell. I had to replace a damaged shell with a broken lens, etc.

When I put the old controller from the old shell, bolted back to the new shell, I used brand new seals - and put a smear of silicone grease (di-electric) on both sides of each seal.

Same for each seal on each bulb - silicone grease - just a smear. I also put a new gasket on the back of the locking plate on the HID bulb. It was compressed pretty badly.

Not sure how to remove any condensate/ moisture inside the shell, but probably a short stint in the kitchen oven at about 200 degrees would dry it out, then allow to cool inside the house at 70 degrees to prevent more condensation.

OH, and by the way - the headlight is not actually prefectly sealed. Some air is supposed to be able to enter and exit, as the light bulbs heat up the shell, and it cools down later. So, actually, I am not entirely certain just why some shells condense inside, and some don't so much. You cannot completely seal perfectly any headlight shell, just prevent basically actual water from entering.

One last thought - is it possible that there is some way that water is splashing into the backside of the shell, and entering the shell?

I hope that this is useful.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mifesto
I told that as well... certified extended warranty does not cover headlights....
Yup. One of the headlights was replaced under good will. Had to drop almost a grand for the other one. What kind of pissed me off was when they called to let me know it was ready I requested my old headlight. They put me on hold and came and told me that it wasn't going to be ready for another two more hours. I get there and the headlight that was replaced with my money looks new. The headlight replaced under "goodwill" looks exactly like my old headlight without condensation and my old headlight that was replaced looks worse than when I brought it in. Talked to service manager and said I will take this up with Acura Client services.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by slimboogie
... I get there and the headlight that was replaced with my money looks new. The headlight replaced under "goodwill" looks exactly like my old headlight without condensation and my old headlight that was replaced looks worse than when I brought it in. ...
Its unfortunate that you cannot trust your dealer, whether deserved or not - so next time, if a next time, mark your parts before asking for replacement, and also ask for the original parts to be returned before payment, and then of course, check for your marks on both the *old* and new parts. I read your statement as saying one of your original headlights was not replaced, but *repaired*.

I will comment that when removing the HID controller (and cord) from my damaged RDX headlight shell, I had to destroy the old shell to get it (controller) out, in order to move the controller to the new shell.

Also, used complete headlight shells w/ HID electronics are available, so it may be possible that a used unit was put in your car, instead of a complete new headlight unit, for the *goodwill* replacement.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Headlight warranty replacement

We have an '11 RDX and I'd seen a problem in the coating peeling off of the upper area of the lenses on both headlights.

We were nearing 50 k mi so I took it in to have the few problems we've had corrected.

They told me it was from sitting in the sun. They said no to replacement but wanted to polish them out.

I told them no to polishing. And pushed the issue by showing them an '07 that I saw coming in for service that had no similar issue and another '11 that did have the same issue as mine. I pushed them to talk to Acura about this.

They asked the zone rep and called me a week or so later to let me know that he said they would replace both. Sadly though, the new ones will be just as bad in a couple of years.

Don't take no as a final answer - appeal and explain!

It was through my looking at other cars and showing the service advisor what I saw. I told him the later models have a coating that is not as good as the older models, and peeling off. When confronted with the facts, they chose to act.

We also had and still have an issue where the TPMS System alarm goes off. It refers to a system malfunction, not any one tire being out of range or not communicating. The first time it popped up I pulled over and checked all the tires and all were fine.

It took many trips back to the dealer before they came to the unsatisfactory conclusion that our phones, pads and/or on-board Wi-Fi network system for Dash Command gauges is causing these alarms.

Anyone else having this issue? Please chime in!

We love this car more than our C5 Vert, and we are putting so many miles on it that I'm sad to think that it will have to be replaced? 56k in less than 3 yrs. Sniff...

Why Acura, why? No turbo, no boost, no flat power band!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Another possible issue
The Dealer told me a lot of headlight leaks are caused by cracks formed by minor collisions on the front bumper. Do any of you with condensation issues have scrapes marks (or any marks) on the front bumpers?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a 2010 Tech and the headlight coating is peeling. It appears to be a very thin film of blueish\purple material and is now about an inch or so from the top of each headlight and working down. Not that noticable but certainly there. I will try to connect with the dealer and see what happens - keep you posted.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
I had my 08 RDX driver side headlight replaced under the bumper-to-bumper three years ago. I did not realized I had a problem until I was on a summer vacation in a high humidity place and notice the condensation in the headlight. The humidity is not high enough in NM normally for the problem to show up when I was at home.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2011 Acura headlight covered under original warranty. Not even a question from the dealer. Battery too over this past weekend. Battery is a wear item, so not too disappointed. Headlight, obviously an engineering snafu, but hopefully is fixed in replacement parts.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Cruisin'

Gotta bump this up...

So I just got a 2011 Certified Base model RDX with 21,000 miles. I noticed the other day when I washed it that the headlights had moisture in them can they still be replaced under warranty?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Iradier310
Gotta bump this up...

So I just got a 2011 Certified Base model RDX with 21,000 miles. I noticed the other day when I washed it that the headlights had moisture in them can they still be replaced under warranty?
^^
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
See my post from April where the headlight is covered under the original Acura Warranty. Yours should be covered as well. It is a $900 charge for parts and labor if not. Ridiculous.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 206 Posts
Yep...and most of that is parts.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Instructor

Warranty

If you are still under the factory warranty, it will be covered. I had a 2009 CPO which was past the factory warranty but under the CPO warranty (within fifth year but with 30k miles). They (dealership and Acura Fin Serv) told me its not covered under CPO warranty. Dealership covered one under good will. The other cost me 1000.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 206 Posts
Interesting...I thought the CPO was a direct extension of the factory warranty by 1yr/12k on B2B (total of 5yr/62k) and dragged out powertrain to 7/100.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Interesting...I thought the CPO was a direct extension of the factory warranty by 1yr/12k on B2B (total of 5yr/62k) and dragged out powertrain to 7/100.
That's what I thought also and what was explained to me by the dealership I purchased it from in San Diego. If you read my earlier post, when I first brought up the issue to the dealership in VA, they keep telling me that my RDX wasn't under any warranty because it the CPO warranty expires after 12 months or 1 year after purchase... that's if the manufacturer warranty is already expired. I had to explain to two service guys how acura's CPO worked. Not too happy that day.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Cruisin'

Went to my dealer today and let them know about the headlight.
No questions asked. They didn’t even check.
They ordered me a new headlight on the spot!
Should have told them it was both.... lol

Can I ask them to give me the old headlight when they replace it?