Delivery date for black rdx

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delivery date for black rdx

I ordered a black rdx with tech package from dealer last month but I remember someone said that they were delaying rdx production for the black color? Any more info?; also my wife and I love our 2005 TL 6-speed & all the options. We are now addicted to memory seats, blue tooth, ELS sound, nav. etc. Thought with getting rdx we could have two great similar rides. Can't believe that the rdx will not have memory seats?? Is this true?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Colin, any idea about the truth of the production date thing?

And yes, there are not memory seats yet. However, expect them to appear in a MMC in a couple years.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Instructor

I'm beginning to suspect that we're expecting far too much from a MMC. Off the top of my head, we hope Acura will add (in no particular order): LED tail lights, Bi-Xenon headlights, an auto-dimming rear view mirror, power passenger seat, memory seating, auto on/off headlights, and rain sensing windshield wipers.

Surely I forgot something. . . is it fair to expect all/some of this will be added with only a minimal increase in price characteristic of a MMC?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I believe that Acura is leaving a few of these goodies out to distance the RDX from it's bigger brother the MDX which will have plenty of goodies. Of course, the MDX will also come standard with a much, much bigger price tag.
As far as wolfeman314's list, the Bi-Xenon headlights and rain sensing wipers aren't even available in the RL yet, so don't expect either in a forseeable RDX MMC. The rest of your list is very likely to find it's way into the RDX soon.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondamore
As far as wolfeman314's list, the Bi-Xenon headlights and rain sensing wipers aren't even available in the RL yet, so don't expect either in a forseeable RDX MMC. The rest of your list is very likely to find it's way into the RDX soon.
I guess I'm not familiar with the features of the RL. . . even a TL has Bi-Xenon's, though.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe the RL doesn't have Bi-Xenon's because of the standard Daytime Running Lights - it's harder to power up the high beam Xenon's to just 20% full power and still have the "flash to pass" immediate full power available (it certainly can be done, but not with Honda/Acura reliability). DRL's are also found on the RDX which would explain the lack of Bi-Xenons. Look for the new TL to lose the Bi-Xenons in favour of DRL. I believe even Lexus has Halogen high-beams on all of it's new models that are DRL equipped.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

I believe the RL doesn't have Bi-Xenon's because of the standard Daytime Running Lights - it's harder to power up the high beam Xenon's to just 20% full power and still have the "flash to pass" immediate full power available (it certainly can be done, but not with Honda/Acura reliability). DRL's are also found on the RDX which would explain the lack of Bi-Xenons. Look for the new TL to lose the Bi-Xenons in favour of DRL. I believe even Lexus has Halogen high-beams on all of it's new models that are DRL equipped.
I believe you are correct. One way that people have been doing it is to separate the DRLs from the regular light cluster (a la Audi S6) or to integrate a foglight into the main light cluster and use that. However, a properly aimed halogen high beam DRL is probably the most effective in terms of visibility. Plus, it allows the car to retain flash to pass.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wolfeman314
I'm beginning to suspect that we're expecting far too much from a MMC. Off the top of my head, we hope Acura will add (in no particular order): LED tail lights, Bi-Xenon headlights, an auto-dimming rear view mirror, power passenger seat, memory seating, auto on/off headlights, and rain sensing windshield wipers.

Surely I forgot something. . . is it fair to expect all/some of this will be added with only a minimal increase in price characteristic of a MMC?
I see a few things on there that the RDX will never get because even the RL doesn't have them. If anything I would expect a change up similar to what happened with the TSX MMC. Expect the power passenger seat, the memory seats, auto-dimming rearview mirror, and HandsfreeLink to be added with a few hundred dollars increase in the base price.

Don't expect Bi-Xenon headlamps because DRLs are becoming mandatory and it's easier and more reliable to use halogen lamps to do that.

Don't expect LED tail lights simply because they aren't necessary. These might get added if all of the competition go to it, but as of right now, I don't see it.

Don't expect rain sensing wipers since no Acura has that at the moment (I find them to be more annoying than useful).

Perhaps the auto on/off headlamps, but I am doubtful. However, with the DRLs becoming standard, this feature might also begin to become standard because of the number of idiot drivers who would forget to turn their headlights on at night and rely solely on the DRLs for lighting.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:08 PM
theKrAzZiE1

the acura website says the rdx comes with automatic headlights... that's the sole reason i tell my mom i hate her car... she has an $80,000 Porsche Cayenne S... with manual headlights... grr hehehe great car though
Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear

black color and options

Earlier I asked about delay in black color option on rdx. Does anyone know if that is the case? My dealer tells me my RDX will be in at end of August or early Sept.

In terms of options, I think that it is a mistake to not have similar options on RDX as the TL has because the price point is very similar. We are very impressed with the Honda/Acura lineup. We have a TL that is fabulous and we thought that we could replace our Highlander Limited with another great Acura (RDX) that matched our TL in features.

I think it is a mistake to price the RDX at the TL level and then say sorry no memory seats, roof rack is extra (sorry IT IS an SUV) etc. etc. We do not want a large SUV (MDX) so we think we that RDX should match its mates and price accordingly.

There are probably lots of Honda/Acura folks who do give a damn about BMW X3s. Not many of those BMW types know how to drive very well or know how to use their turn signals. As a former Porsche owner of 10 models over the past 30 years, I can attest to BMW driving skills!

The rest of us Acura owners, and it my personal opinion, love the build quality, the wonderful drive, and the lack of lots of add-on extra options (that add lots of little costs). It is great to have a vehicle that is as good or better than the status symbol brands. Keep it up and don't follow the herd with the RDX. Also we just got a little Honda Fit Sport for around town and it it as fabulous as all of the auto mags say it is.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Racer

If you look around and SUV's and sedan from all car companies, you're going to find that a similarly sized, similarly equipped SUV will pretty much always cost more than the sedan. There's no way that the RDX would be priced at the same level as the TL, and include all the same features. If nothing else, you have to account for the added cost of the SH-AWD on the RDX.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mayberry 66
Earlier I asked about delay in black color option on rdx. Does anyone know if that is the case? My dealer tells me my RDX will be in at end of August or early Sept.
It sounds to me like your dealer didn't get a black one in its initial allotment. One of our most reliable sources assured me that he did not hear about a particular color with a delay.

Originally Posted by Mayberry 66
In terms of options, I think that it is a mistake to not have similar options on RDX as the TL has because the price point is very similar. We are very impressed with the Honda/Acura lineup. We have a TL that is fabulous and we thought that we could replace our Highlander Limited with another great Acura (RDX) that matched our TL in features.

I think it is a mistake to price the RDX at the TL level and then say sorry no memory seats, roof rack is extra (sorry IT IS an SUV) etc. etc. We do not want a large SUV (MDX) so we think we that RDX should match its mates and price accordingly.
I disagree. Keep in mind that the RDX comes with things that the TL doesn't have, particularly the SH-AWD system and the ACE body structure design. As for the roof rack, from what I understand, most companies make the roof rack (or at least the cross bars) optional.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless Acura comes up with cars and suvs that burn regular gas the company will not be celebrating their 25th anniversary, and then you can forget about any items on a wish list.

While I can still afford premium in my '06 RL that is getting about 25 mph overall, my next RL or RDX better be able to burn regular or it will be goodbye/adios/adieu/later to Acura, which I would hate to do.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rexorg
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless Acura comes up with cars and suvs that burn regular gas the company will not be celebrating their 25th anniversary, and then you can forget about any items on a wish list.

While I can still afford premium in my '06 RL that is getting about 25 mph overall, my next RL or RDX better be able to burn regular or it will be goodbye/adios/adieu/later to Acura, which I would hate to do.
Huh? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? What luxury car maker doesn't recommend Premium for its engines?

And like all modern engines, all Acura engines are fitted with knock sensors to retard ignition timing when regular is being run to prevent damage to the engine from premature ignition. You can run regular, but expect long term ill-effects and less power. Don't like it, don't buy a luxury brand.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rexorg

Most, if not all, luxury brands require premium gas. If you can't afford premium, you shouldn't be buying a luxury car. If you can afford a luxury car and want the performance that you paid for, then buy premium and quit complaining.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Most, if not all, luxury brands require premium gas. If you can't afford premium, you shouldn't be buying a luxury car. If you can afford a luxury car and want the performance that you paid for, then buy premium and quit complaining.
Hang in there Rexorg. The comments are interesting in that the term "Luxury Car" is now seemingly the way to catagorize the RDX. What started out as "fuel efficient, mid-sized SUV" that Acura and other threads says has a demographic of $100K income folks ($100K hasn't been a "Luxury" for many years) has turned into a catagorization of the RDX into a "Luxury Car" to overcome the price and fuel issues that have become fodder in this forum. Your point on the RL and paying premium for the type of mileage you are getting while unrelated maybe is a good point. I can hear it coming though..."I meant a Luxury Brand".
Old 07-27-2006, 07:40 PM
theKrAzZiE1

just sign up for sams or costco and your premium gas will cost the same amount as regular. besides, i don't see lexus, bmw, or any luxury company with cars/suvs/cuvs running on regular gas, even my nissan maxima recommended premium
Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 AM
2nd Gear

my dealer has a black one coming in that hes saving for me. said delivery date now 8/10 or 8/11.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Instructor

What is the dealer name?

What is the dealship name? Perhaps I can persuade my dealer to provide me with more information if I can confirm to them what other dealers are telling their customers.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear

flow acura in winston-salem, nc
Old 08-05-2006, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

There are no delays for any particular color. I have a Black Tech Package on the way right now. The RDX as a whole will be fairly limited for the time being since it has just moved into production within the last couple weeks. Give it a couple months and they will be much more plentiful at your local dealership. We were alloted 4 units for August and 5 for September. Lucky for us we've got a friend who has been able to give us a few extra units here and there. All in all I've got 12 RDX's that are in transit and on order right now. If your local dealer can't get you what you want, let me know. I may be able to help.