My V6 Auto Tranny Failing

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 AM
98 3.0CL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy My V6 Auto Tranny Failing

So I been driving her around now for a couple of years, engine felt fine, just got the regular tune up in November! Got her all ready for winter! Decide I should go to the gf's house for Christmas Breakfast in the morning!
Warm the car up nicely! Realized wow there nobody on the road right now, so I decide I would boot it up this hill, moments later.......

The Tranny starts to shift, as if it were a manual car with the person ripping the clutch out really fast! It shift hard and rough! Than the FAMOUS CHECK ENGINE LIGHT comes on, to make my day!

So I get up the hill no worries, she still going, shifting hard and the rev's going up really high before each shift! Pull out the code reader, BANG

P0730 Automatic transaxle malfunction
WTF does this mean?

Went the next couple of days to a few tranny shops down in Vancouver!
Quoted 4500 for tranny rebuild
Quoted 2800 for tranny rebuild!

So now going to a place recommend by my uncle I talked to the guy, he said "sounds like a solenoid went bad " hopefully it is and will be fixed!

Weird thing is when yous start the car, it start up great warms up!
Shift into Reverse or Drive, no problem at all, Goes straight into the right gear!

Only when you start actually driving the car does it not shift so well! man it jerks like crazy!

Any input or suggestions, and for all those who want to know, if it a tranny rebuild I will probably just part out the car and look for another one! if the tranny rebuild is $$$$

Any suggestions, if they do fix the car, I will be posting what they did and how much the cost was, so that if it happens to anyone else maybe it will be a quick fix!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can tell u it not a solenoid. because it goes into all the gears.but when the trans gets warm it starts shifting hard n banging into gear. My trans just went up before the holidays and it be good till it got hot then it would pop out of gear. I priced a rebuild kit for about $300.00 and some change.so i waiting to tow it over my buddy's house to put it on the lift to tear it out. I be leave your problem is kinda like mine all internal. this trans are good for this problem.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
98 3.0CL

So Got the report back from Premier Transmission shop down in Richmond, BC!

My uncle knows the owner, so we went in and here what happened!
The owner of the shop gave me a shit he was like "son you drove this car to shit absolute shit"

That was excepted since I am the 2nd owner of the car! 1st being my cousin, he probably drove it hard also!

So for the actual cause, a Roller Bearing had pretty much broken part and the small metal pieces from it started going through the Transmission. After a while it had clogged up the Transmission filter! Also it wrecked the Torque Converter!

Our Transmission well for at least the 3.0L are a 1 piece! So there is no pan underneath that can be cleaned out, so we are technically screwed from the get go! There no possible way to just clean out the filter inside then transmission!

Once you have small metal pieces going through your transmission there no point in doing half the job, so you might as well get the Torque Converter cleaned out and replaced! (cause there will be piece of metal stuck in, and you don't want to do just half a job)

Also there are clutch packs in our car, well from 1st to 2nd gear, each clutch pack would have rings and grove in them, well mine didn't! Mine were all stripped clean right off, which sucks! Also it due to the fact it hard shifting from 1st to 2nd!
All of the clutch packs got replaced!
Lesson learned no more gunning it off the line.

woferine18 - yup it was all internal, all the solenoids got checked out and they are still
working condition!

Also P0730 - Automatic transaxle malfunction ( also means INCORRECT GEAR RATIO )

Price wise so far I am looking around 1500 -1900 for the entire rebuild with labor.

Last edited by udee; 01-09-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
that is a great deal when replacing the torque converter also
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
So what are you deciding to do? Keep in mind that that's about a 4th of what the car is worth. If the car is payed for, I'd go get another car. If you like the CL, buy another one but buy a 5 spd 4 cyl.

Hi P0401
Old 01-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi P0401
Howdy!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 AM
98 3.0CL

Honestly have no clue what to do, it almost done getting rebuilt, should have her back in a few days!

How long do you guys think she will last after the tranny is rebuilt?

I was thinking, just putting her for sale, and getting rid of her, but don't know what to get!

Also do I want to have a car payment! THE CL is PAID OFF so long ago!

Any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by udee
Honestly have no clue what to do, it almost done getting rebuilt, should have her back in a few days!

How long do you guys think she will last after the tranny is rebuilt?

I was thinking, just putting her for sale, and getting rid of her, but don't know what to get!

Also do I want to have a car payment! THE CL is PAID OFF so long ago!

Any suggestions?
NO NO... keep her. Drive her easy the 1st 500 miles. After that, put in Redline ATF (someone chime in on which you guys are using) Enjoy the car and no car payment. The red line handles higher temps in tranny. Most auto guys live buy this stuff. Also do flush every 20k vs the manuals 60k. But Accord/TL owners with rebuilt trannys please help him out so he can enjoy many more miles with this car. Is your mech adding the tranny cooler btw?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
I'd keep her, she'll have a brand new trans
Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

adding a tranny cooler would be the first thing I would do after changing the fluid the first time. It is hard to tell how long it will last because there are allot of factors to look at to answer that question including how well it was rebuilt. With a cooler added and trans flush at regular intervals and no hard driving all the time it could out last the rest of the car. I am not saying never kick it in or anything but I wouldn't race it every time I got behind the wheel either
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM
98 3.0CL

Well boys and girls, the final verdict is up! and let me say HOLY SHIT!!

Transmission Problem Diagnose $516
Overhaul Transmission Assembly $602
Install Overhaul Master Kit
Replace Filter
Install r/b Torque Converter

Master Overhaul Kit $528.67
Secondary Shaft Gear Assy $283.02
Needle Bearing $44.45
R/B Torque Converter $363.64
LubeGard Conditioner $24.90
Honda ATF OIL $87.60
Environmental Levy $10.00

In total $2490 ( I got a discount so I paid way less than that)

What killed me the most was Secondary Shaft Gear Assy & R/B Torque Converter!

Lesson learnt drive her easy, and only be a A**Hole once in a while on the road!

She runs great now, shift really smooth and nicely, super tight! Excellent very happy with everything that went on!

Gotta take her back for a check up in 10days, than 6months!

Hope this help everyone!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by udee
Well boys and girls, the final verdict is up! and let me say HOLY SHIT!!

Transmission Problem Diagnose $516
Overhaul Transmission Assembly $602
Install Overhaul Master Kit
Replace Filter
Install r/b Torque Converter

Master Overhaul Kit $528.67
Secondary Shaft Gear Assy $283.02
Needle Bearing $44.45
R/B Torque Converter $363.64
LubeGard Conditioner $24.90
Honda ATF OIL $87.60
Environmental Levy $10.00

In total $2490 ( I got a discount so I paid way less than that)

What killed me the most was Secondary Shaft Gear Assy & R/B Torque Converter!

Lesson learnt drive her easy, and only be a A**Hole once in a while on the road!

She runs great now, shift really smooth and nicely, super tight! Excellent very happy with everything that went on!

Gotta take her back for a check up in 10days, than 6months!

Hope this help everyone!
So it took you breaking yours to understand that vs. reading all these members stories of their failures and saying "I better take it easy or my car is next" Or you thought "That will NEVER happen to my transmission. It's stronger from the same factory than theirs.) LOL. I'm joshing with you. I'm glad lesson learned and that the ball is rolling to get her back on the road where she belongs. After the break-in tranny fluid is time to be changed, do like others and switch with red-line D5 fluid. It can handle heat a lot better meaning less chance for automatic clutch disc failure.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
glad to hear. 2500 is steep, but a lot better than paying 400 a month for a new car with 5-7 percent interest rate compounded annually