Clutch "thump"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch "thump"

Hey Guys,

Recently I've been noticing almost like a "thump" noise when i'm in first and i put the clutch in to come to a sotp..it happens mostly when i'm goign real slow in traffic or something, its like my engine almost starts jerking back and fortha dn when i go to put the clutch in...it feels like its coming in contact with something...I can really feel it in the engine compartment, any idea what it might be??

Also, what are the symptoms of a clutch going out? my car only has 60k and it feels like it engages in different spots for certain gears...Also, when going in reverse it makes almost like a "CRACK" sound. ANy help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:35 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Well to me a thump sound is a hydroulic (cant spell) clutch doing it's job. Any other way of explaining the noise?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cocoa
Well to me a thump sound is a hydroulic (cant spell) clutch doing it's job. Any other way of explaining the noise?

hmmm...the only the other thing i notice is there seems to be a lot of free play when in gear...like the shifter has about an 1" or so of room to move around and I also noticed something "Clanking" or clappping against the shifter when disengaging the clutch sometimes (basically all the tiem unless its an absolute perfect shift)...it sounds like metal to metal almost...but no grinding. I can actually feel the shifter moving if i hold on to it, like if i give it gas it will move down and when i take my foot off teh gas it will go up (is this the hydraulic clutch?) It happens when i push in and pull off the clutch adn when shifting into gears. What about a clutch linkage problem??? i'm not much of a car buff so i have no idea what it REALLY is, but a linkage problem sounds like it would be a fit for the problem....sorry for the awful explanations

Thanks for the help, truly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 PM
B A N N E D

The crack sound is pretty common I think when first shifting into reverse.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:42 PM
B A N N E D

Look at the master cylinder and slave cylinder before you do anything. I replaced my clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder to only find out it was my master cylinder causing the problem...lol Oh well, completely new clutch system.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 AM
4x4- fat chicks cant jump

It seems to me like the things your experiencing are pretty normal. The shifter will move a little When you give it throttle in first gear. How much does it move? Like frog said, the "cracking" going into reverse is pretty common, mine does it
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 5-speed
It seems to me like the things your experiencing are pretty normal. The shifter will move a little When you give it throttle in first gear. How much does it move? Like frog said, the "cracking" going into reverse is pretty common, mine does it

Thanks guys. I figured the reverse cracking was normal but the shifter moving doesnt only happen in first, it happens in every gear except for 5th...I'll have my mechanic take a peak at the master cylinder soon...i know i have a leak in my b-pipe as welll, but it seems that my car has been losing a lot of power especially lower RPM's until i hit about 3K....Would I be able to take a look at the master cylinder and know what's wrong or is this a job for a professional? Thanks again!

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2007, 08:12 AM
B A N N E D

I might be wrong on this, but I think our vtec hits at about 2900 rpm. Almost everyone says their cars get more power there, and my car does also. Plus it gets way louder right there.