'97 CL: Heater Core Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'97 CL: Heater Core Replacement DIY

Hello CL folks,

It's been quite a while since I've last worked on a CL, but a customer brought in their '97 3.0 on account of a faulty heater core in need of replacement. The job wasn't too much of a PITA but it is mechanically intensive so dedicate at least 4 hours for the entire job to be accomplished.

Roll up your sleeves, organize your tools and get ready to change out the heater core on a '97 CL!

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container

3. Open the cable clamp, then disconnect the heater valve cable from the valve arm.

4. Position the heater valve arm to the fully open position.

5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the unit.

6. Remove the mounting nuts from the unit.

7. Remove the dashboard.

8. Remove the steering hanger beam.

9. Remove the evaporator.

10. Remove the air mixture control motor and the mode control motor by removing the harness clip.

11. Unfasten the heater box mounting bolts, then remove the heater core assembly.

12. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. During installation pay careful attention to the following details:

Be cautious as to not interchange inlet and outlet hoses.
Always apply sealant to the grommets.
Refill the radiator before starting the engine.
Make sure all cables are connected and properly adjusted.

**Additional resources: 1997 Acura CL heater core diagram

That's essentially the entire procedure outlined in a tidy walk-through for your convenience. Should you need help with a particular step, say the dashboard removal, then either search these forums for the appropriate thread or ask me for additional assistance. Good luck everybody!
The following users liked this post:
timeizmoney22 (12-24-2011)
Old 11-14-2015, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice will be appreciated

I have to replace the heater core in my 98 acura integra, I'm a single mother having to do this myself and need any advice you may have. I know a little about cars from having to take care of most repairs myself but nothing major. I'm told this is not a hard fix , the main thing is to remember what goes where. Since I'll be removing the dash and that involves the airbags do I disconnect the battery to keep them from coming out? To be honest I'm scared to death to do this but I have no choice so any advice you have would be so so so appreciated. Thank you
standnoworfallater@gmail.com
Originally Posted by techtalk
Hello CL folks,

It's been quite a while since I've last worked on a CL, but a customer brought in their '97 3.0 on account of a faulty heater core in need of replacement. The job wasn't too much of a PITA but it is mechanically intensive so dedicate at least 4 hours for the entire job to be accomplished.

Roll up your sleeves, organize your tools and get ready to change out the heater core on a '97 CL!

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container

3. Open the cable clamp, then disconnect the heater valve cable from the valve arm.

4. Position the heater valve arm to the fully open position.

5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the unit.

6. Remove the mounting nuts from the unit.

7. Remove the dashboard.

8. Remove the steering hanger beam.

9. Remove the evaporator.

10. Remove the air mixture control motor and the mode control motor by removing the harness clip.

11. Unfasten the heater box mounting bolts, then remove the heater core assembly.

12. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. During installation pay careful attention to the following details:

Be cautious as to not interchange inlet and outlet hoses.
Always apply sealant to the grommets.
Refill the radiator before starting the engine.
Make sure all cables are connected and properly adjusted.

**Additional resources: 1997 Acura CL heater core diagram

That's essentially the entire procedure outlined in a tidy walk-through for your convenience. Should you need help with a particular step, say the dashboard removal, then either search these forums for the appropriate thread or ask me for additional assistance. Good luck everybody!